Do you prefer Forward or Aft and why??

LuvSand&Sun

My reason for picking an Aft cabin, & by aft I mean overlooking the wake, is the view of the wake, we found as you may, that you gravitate towards that end so we thought how nice to have a cabin there, so we did!! best moments....watching dolphins playing in the wake off Kefalonia, sunrise going into Venice & sunset going out!!

I avoid forward cabins like the plague because you experience all the up and down motion in them and it makes me queasy just thinking about it.:o

Aft cabins get more side to side motion, which isn't as bad for me. And on many ships they offer great oversized balconies. The cons are engine noise and vibration.

I try to get as close to midship as possible. It also makes it easier to get around when you aren't at either end of the ship.

On the other hand, you can't beat the privacy of an aft or forward cabin, and you won't ever hear anyone walk by your cabin.

Very interesting that the motion is different on Forward and Aft...I had never heard that ...but I usually go for Midship which is unavailable to me on my upcoming Solstice cruise. I have not been seasick in a ship but I have not experienced rough seas yet:cool: No reason to take a chance!!

Corinna

I prefer aft cabins on the M class due to the veranda size.

If the available cabins were identical other than location I would prefer a cabin very close to the mid-ship elevator two decks under the pool deck. That area should have less motion and a more convenient location than forward or aft cabins. If only far forward or aft cabins were available it would be a draw for me. In making a choice I'd look at price, distance from elevators, convenience to other areas of the ship, and potential noise areas on the decks above and below.

For any cabin being considered, I would research the cabin number and location using Cruise Critic's search function in this forum to make sure there were no issues with that cabin.

Aft cabins get more side to side motion, which isn't as bad for me.......

On the other hand, you can't beat the privacy of an aft or forward cabin, and you won't ever hear anyone walk by your cabin.

Perhaps, but IMO since the beds are situated "port to starboard" on the Aft instead of "bow to stern" as they are on the sides of the ship, the rocking motion is much more soothing. ;)

We were on the Mercury in January in cabin 8007. This cabin is in the very front of the ship, about as far forward as one can get. On our first sea day, a wave hit the ship causing it to list to starboard. My wife at that instant was walking toward the port side and suddenly went backward and down, fracturing her right hip. She spent the next 2 and 1/2 days in the ship's hospital on deck 4, very little motion down there:D

Don't think it makes a difference? Next time you experience rough seas on a ship, go all the way forward to the highest point (usually a lounge) and you will feel like you are on a see-saw.

Then go to a lower deck and all the way aft. You will still feel movement, but not nearly as intense, and it will feel more like swaying.

Then go to a lower deck in the middle, you will feel very little movement at all.

At least, that's been my experience.

I agree that way forward and aft cabins have a little different movement: up/down fwd a bit more; a bit of a sideways 'cirlce 8' on the stern. But really, with the stabilizers and the size of these ships, not a lot unless you are right up front of the ship, which does pitch more.

But...if you get into any real Sea State, she will move around whereever you are - you are on a ship.

With all that said, and with a wife who is a bit susceptable, we still get forward SRs (not way forward), usually the CC2's . We do that because w love to zip up to the Solarium T-Spa inside pool every morning and jump right in. Fantastic. We even break our rule of using decks with SRs above and below for quietness - we go up to the Sky 9th Deck forward (love the larger angled 9043/9038/8045/8046 cabins). Many times they are under non-pool areas and you don't get the scraping - activity sounds some people have reported.

So it depends on the cruise and the ship. On Mercury, we have Stern SV cabins; on the Millennium, we are in a Forward angled C2 cabin. And on the Solstice, we were just aft of the Bumpout. Low wind.

I know one thing - give me a balcony and I doubt it matters much if its Deck 6, 7, 8, 9 - fwd-aft-midship. I'll love it.

Denny

My husband and I are lucky enough to not have to worry about sea sickness. That being said, on the M-class ships, we try very hard to get one of the Concierge Class aft cabins whenever possible. Those huge balconies are just the best! Here is the view of the aft balconies on the Summit, taken from the Galaxy several years ago... I think you can see the depth and size of those balconies!

132003053_JpJoc-M.jpg

We were on the Equinox in November, and had an aft cabin. While we enjoyed the view, there were some problems with soot on the deck (I know, many have sailed with no soot, but we honestly had quite a bit of it, I have no idea why it is worse on some cruises than others, but it did impact our usage of the balcony, but not our enjoyment of the cruise). I would probably go for a "hump" cabin on the S-class ships; those have larger balconies and are protected, I think, by somewhat of an overhang.

When we were on the Galaxy, both times we were on the 12th floor; one time in room 1241 and once in a Sky suite... great rooms, great balconies... too bad she is no longer in the fleet!

Here is a picture of the balcony in 1241...

132003201_qtTVK-M.jpg

And of the balcony in the Sky Suite...

345678019_QpRHt-M.jpg

I avoid forward cabins like the plague because you experience all the up and down motion in them and it makes me queasy just thinking about it.:o.

That's exactly the reason I like to book a forward cabin! I love that up and down motion, it's like being rocked to sleep. Isn't it wonderful that the ships have something for everyone.:)

Terri

True it does seem that everyone has a different preference on the ship....I would like to have the bed near the balcony..And the safe midship cabins are all booked so I will be trying something new!! I have read so much about waffles that I will have to try them!! I never go for them on land but at sea who knows!!

Archived