Alcohol

proudmomma

Has anyone ever tried to bring alcohol on Celebrity Century? If so, did it work, if not what happened, and what did you bring it in? Probably not going to try it, as I don't want to risk it and get nervous about it. But the drink prices are insane! Please help! Thanks so much!! :p

Call the cruise line to confirm this but I've been told that Celebrity allows each person to bring 2 bottles of wine. I've cruised twice on Celebrity and have found their drink prices on board to be comparable to what they would be in any on-land restaurant or bar.

But the drink prices are insane!

You can cruise on a line that doesn't prohibit bringing alcohol on board (Oceania) or one that includes alcohol in the price of the cruise (Regent, Seabourne). If you price a cruise on these lines, maybe the drink prices on X won't seem so crazy.;)

Yes, you can bring two wines/chamganes per SR on at the embarkation port.

No, you don't need a corkscrew - the ship has cheap plastic ones that do work, and the steward wll provide one if not in your room. They'll even open it for you.

Corkage Fee is when you take your bottle to the MDR - they charge you.

No liquor can be brought on - they will confescate it and return it at the end of the cruise, including the ones you buy in port-calls and bottles in the ship liquor store.

Yes, you can bring water and soda's on board. it can get a bit tricky, but it can be done. Personally, I use one of the water bottles on the ship and then fill it up using the tap water. It is good - some have said they noticed higher salt content, but we haven't. It's just fine and we drink flitered water at home.

Enjoy your cruise. And ask away.

Denny

I'm legitimately asking this question. I am not being sarcastic. how would you do a search for this topic? Type "alcohol onboard" or that sort of thing. I tried to search things a couple of times and have not been successful. I am sure the problem is on my end not on the site's.

The search function is not the best. I don't have very good luck with the search tool here either. I have often found it quicker to go to google and do an advanced search within the domain "boards.cruisecritic.com". You can also use the url from the top level of the forum you are interested in for more specific results.

Don't let anybody put you off. Have fun.

Oh and by the way I have been successful in the past bringing alcohol on board using rum runners. Just google "rumrunners" and you'll see. And if they take them they take them. No big deal. I have a couple of drinks in my room before dinner and quite frankly after a few in my room I am much more likely to purchase booze at the bar. If they take the booze I bring for in room consumption away from me there is a good chance I will actually end up spending less on alcohol during the cruise. A few drinks and my wallet lossens right up!

Ken

We just got off of a cruise and we did bring 2 bottles of wine on board with us without issue. The first bottle we took to Blu happened to be on the wine list the sommelier thought that we bought the wine somewhere else on board and did not charge us a corkage. The second bottle was not on the list and we paid the $25 to enjoy it with our meal.

We cruised Celebrity in 2008 - flew from NY to Venice (put a cookscrew in the checked luggage - no problem) - bought two bottles of wine in a small shop in Venice and had no problem bringing them on board to use in our room & balcony. Asked the steward for glasses and had them in no time. There will be a corkage fee if you bring wine into the MDR. But bring it on and enjoy in your own room! (We also had a l-a-r-g-e bar bill!! but then it was a 12 day cruise!)

Two bottles of wine per cabin are permitted, but no other alcohol is.

That said, I know someone on this last cruise that filled their camel-back backpack with rum and had no problems getting it onboard.

And THAT said, I always suggest following the rules that are in place.

You have touched on one of the hot topics here which is sure to draw comments from both sides.

There is a lot of mis-information floating around on the subject.

Having been on 35+ cruises here are my experiences.

We always take alcohol with us in both water bottles and in rum runner flasks and have yet to have a problem. Although on a recent cruise, we traveled with 2 other couples. One couple's alcohol was confiscated and another got a whole case of beer onboard, so I know they (RCCL) do spot check some bags. With 7000+ pieces of luggage on some ships, they cannot check every one, it would take too long. That being the case, if you are going to break the rules, here is what you can do to minimize your chances of having it confiscated.

We generally put a small (16.9 oz) bottle in the carry on along with a couple cans of soda for a little celebratory drink once we get onboard. Never once have we been questioned about this.

The rest of the alcohol goes in the suitcase in water bottles and rum runner flasks. Don't just pack it on top. If you do that, there is a good chance it will get confiscated. Instead put it inside pant legs, inside shoes, mixed in with bathroom stuff, etc. If they are opening your luggage they are not going to take the time to go through the whole thing, they are just looking for the easy to spot stuff.

If you are flying, you must put everything in your suitcase, because TSA will not allow it in your carry on. In case you want some to carry on the ship, just move it around before you board.

Although we take it on board with up, it still seems somehow that we still leave with a good bar bill... hmmm

Now for all the people who say this is wrong and want to whine about it being against the rules, we know.. so please save your breath and keep driving the speed limit in the left lane.... Thank you.

I enjoyed reading your post and found it informative! We are planning on another cruise and considering Celebrity. We want to feel relaxed and not 'Policed' and I like 'A' glass of wine while I'm getting ready for dinner. We've previously enjoyed cruising on Princess and Cunard. It seems like the policies are similar. If we are out and about and I happen upon a nice local wine, I really do expect to be able to enjoy it when I get back to my room! I have no objection to paying a corkage fee if I choose to take it to the dining room! Only fair!! Hope to catch up with you on a cruise somewhere sometime!!!

Spot-on Chuck, with the no whining. We usually bring a small bottle of bourbon for pre-dinner room consumption. Never had a problem in the carry-on, but checked baggage might be even better. We really enjoy the bars with the live music, so that's our usual preferred venue. I do not think the drink prices are that out of line, but are a couple of dollars more than usual. We appreciate the flexibility that Celebrity has shown in this area. Just don't get carried away, and, in our experience, you will be fine.

Now for all the people who say this is wrong and want to whine about it being against the rules, we know.. so please save your breath and keep driving the speed limit in the left lane.... Thank you.

Must be in the rules of the road when you move to Florida...

Must be in the rules of the road when you move to Florida...

Driving the Speed limit in the left lane ...Off topic for sure BUT my number one PET PEEVE !!!! Not just a Fla. problem. Faster moving trafic to the left.. don't they teach that in drivers ed. anymore ??... now back to our previously scheduled thread....

You have touched on one of the hot topics here which is sure to draw comments from both sides.

There is a lot of mis-information floating around on the subject.

Having been on 35+ cruises here are my experiences.

We always take alcohol with us in both water bottles and in rum runner flasks and have yet to have a problem. Although on a recent cruise, we traveled with 2 other couples. One couple's alcohol was confiscated and another got a whole case of beer onboard, so I know they (RCCL) do spot check some bags. With 7000+ pieces of luggage on some ships, they cannot check every one, it would take too long. That being the case, if you are going to break the rules, here is what you can do to minimize your chances of having it confiscated.

We generally put a small (16.9 oz) bottle in the carry on along with a couple cans of soda for a little celebratory drink once we get onboard. Never once have we been questioned about this.

The rest of the alcohol goes in the suitcase in water bottles and rum runner flasks. Don't just pack it on top. If you do that, there is a good chance it will get confiscated. Instead put it inside pant legs, inside shoes, mixed in with bathroom stuff, etc. If they are opening your luggage they are not going to take the time to go through the whole thing, they are just looking for the easy to spot stuff.

If you are flying, you must put everything in your suitcase, because TSA will not allow it in your carry on. In case you want some to carry on the ship, just move it around before you board.

Although we take it on board with up, it still seems somehow that we still leave with a good bar bill... hmmm

I think your Friends of Bill meeting is scheduled for 6 PM each day.:eek:

I second the rum runners suggestion. I purchased the frozen drink package, but you cannot get them delivered to your cabin and we like to have little parties with our group that we travel with. The last time we traveled on the summit in December we did get our suitcases held on the first floor and I had to go retrieve it. They asked if I had any alcohol and I said no, just my tolietries. :) I shuffled things around and since the rum runners weren't on top, they couldn't be seen. They told me to take my bag and go. That being said, most of my friends brought on rum runners and bottles they purchased at the port before boarding and carried them right on in their carry on bags. We also have made purchases in port of rum we liked, etc. and carried it right on with no problems (it was in our carry on bag, not obvious).

If you order the rum runners put the code "repeat" in the box and you will get a discount. And make sure you put them in another large storage bag, then wrap them in a towel or something in the middle of your suitcase.

If you order the rum runners put the code "repeat" in the box and you will get a discount. And make sure you put them in another large storage bag, then wrap them in a towel or something in the middle of your suitcase.

Yes, REPEAT gives you a discount that basically covers the cost of the shipping.

Oh and by the way I have been successful in the past bringing alcohol on board using rum runners. Just google "rumrunners" and you'll see.

Who needs a Rum Runner? A plastic flask from the local liquor store works just as well.

(In case X is reading this: Or so I have been told. Hypothetically, of course. I'm sure I don't know of and would personally never do such a thing ...)

Who needs a Rum Runner? A plastic flask from the local liquor store works just as well.

(In case X is reading this: Or so I have been told. Hypothetically, of course. I'm sure I don't know of and would personally never do such a thing ...)

Of course not, Skipper. I believe you.;)

I was on Century in '07, and saw several people with mini-bottles in one of the bathrooms. I asked how they got them onboard. The quick answer was inside their shoes, rolled up in their socks and every single crevice in their luggage that they would fit. He said he brought 50 mini-bottles and split them between 2 suitcases. He said that none were confiscated.

With today's X-ray technology I am not sure if they would make it through a quick check or not. I just bring my allowed 2 bottles of wine onboard and buy the drink specials... Not to mention the Happy Hour specials in the Martini bar.

Jen

Archived