Swimming with a 15 month old

shortm

I'm still trying to convince my H that a cruise is a great idea for us, along with our 15 month old, in April. One of the things he's using against it is that there are no pools for our daughter to go in.

I asked a while ago and CruisinMama kindly posted a list of the ships that do have a splash zone or small baby pool but that's not satisfied him. Z has been swimming since 11 weeks old and loves to jump in off the side and swim under the water, swims around holding on to daddy etc. I take it that there aren't any pools suitable for this and it's more of a little paddling pool ?

No there are no pools for non-pottytrained children on cruise ships besides the ones with splash pools. Keep in mind... most pools on ships are saltwater. So your little one won't want to be swimming around under the water with his eyes open (ouch).

While in port... aside from one stop we ended up going to a resort (free in one port and paid for a day pass AI in another) and using the pools/beach there and my kiddos enjoyed their freshwater pool time then.

I don't think you are supposed to jump in any cruise ship pool off the side are you? In any case, no, there are no such pools for unpotty trained children.

I'm sure a little girl could jump off the side of the pool into her daddy's arms.

But, like others said, unless she's potty trained, its only a splash area, if anything.

Nope, sorry. The pools Z can go in are 6" deep. ;) So no jumping in and diving down.

But the good news is, those pools on Disney and Royal Caribbean ARE freshwater pools, they aren't salt water like previously stated. :)

The bad news, they are 6" deep. :p

But when she does get potty trained, you can still pick one of those ships, because those ships are still good options for you if you don't like salt water pools. All of those ship pools use fresh water for their main pools and H20 zone (Disney Magic and Wonder, Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas)

I'm with the husband. Sorry, number one, have an under 2 on a ship is tough, but a plus 2, you have options. The kid is not going to remember the cruise, and all they care about is being with you. Swimming, or no swimming. What is important, is whether you will be prepared to spend a cruise, and doing adult things, without very many options. Carefully think about it before you go.

I can verify all the Princess pools are fresh water. But the child does need to be potty trained. And even though jumping in is not encouraged, that has not stopped any kid from doing it.

Any chance you can potty train early? You didn't mention if Z is a girl or a boy... but I have heard girls have a more likely chance of potty training early. Maybe book it for 6 months or so from now and work on potty training? I know that is a lot to ask, though. lol My child will be 4 and still in diapers, he has absolutely no interest.

We are taking our two year old on one in a couple months and he won't be potty trained, so we plan to just keep him away from the Lido as much as possible so he won't see the pool and want to swim. And we are going to some excursions when he CAN get in the pool. (even though people might not like it...)

When my daughter was 23 months old, we booked on a ship that had a kiddie pool (it's no longer owned by Carnival, but maybe some of the other Carnival ships have something like that). A couple of cruises later and she was fully potty trained so if she wanted to be in the pool with her floatie jacket, that was fine.

It's best to follow the cruiseline's rules on this. If your husband takes your child into the pool, and a crew member spots that and tests the water for bacteria, you could be blamed for that. Plus, the pool would have to be drained, refilled and the water shocked. The other passengers will not have use of the pool for hours, if that day at all.

When my daughter was 23 months old' date=' we booked on a ship that had a kiddie pool (it's no longer owned by Carnival, but maybe some of the other Carnival ships have something like that). A couple of cruises later and she was fully potty trained so if she wanted to be in the pool with her floatie jacket, that was fine.

[b']It's best to follow the cruiseline's rules on this[/b]. If your husband takes your child into the pool, and a crew member spots that and tests the water for bacteria, you could be blamed for that. Plus, the pool would have to be drained, refilled and the water shocked. The other passengers will not have use of the pool for hours, if that day at all.

It's actually CDC regulations, not just cruise line rules. There are many reasons for it. What you describe is a good example of one.

shortm:

Many people do not realize that cruise ship pools are not like large public pools on land. Cruise ship pools are small, so not much volume to dilute contaminates, and not heavily chemically treated, so not as much available to kill the little beasties. The fact is that many children and some adults are sickened every year in the large public pools due to contamination by bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens. Every year, a number of people die because of it. The risks are much greater in cruise ship pools.

If having water facilities or pools available for your daughter and husband to enjoy together is a make-or-break issue for your husband, then you need to wait until your daughter is fully potty trained. I'm sorry to be blunt, but it really is as simple as that. He needs to decide whether it is important enough to him to post-pone. (And you, of course, should have some say in the matter too--I didn't mean to imply that he should make the final decision without your input.) Or you need to choose one of the few ships with water facilities for non-potty trained youngsters. As far as I know, those few ships do not have regular size pools that your husband and daughter could swim in together though. The baby water facilities are small and shallow, not pools. (BTW, the baby splash zones on RCI's Freedom and Oasis class ships do not allow anyone in the water except children wearing swim diapers.)

beachchick

I didn't realise they were salt water, eugh. I hate the beach as dislike sand and salt water .... am beginning to wonder if H might be right :-(

I'm painfully waiting for my 2 year old to be potty trained so that we can cruise as a family. She has about zero interest in it.:rolleyes: But until then we take our family vacations elsewhere. She adores swimming and the water. I'm not about to take her somewhere she can't enjoy it while her older sister swims the day away!

I'm painfully waiting for my 2 year old to be potty trained so that we can cruise as a family. She has about zero interest in it.:rolleyes: But until then we take our family vacations elsewhere. She adores swimming and the water. I'm not about to take her somewhere she can't enjoy it while her older sister swims the day away!

That would be so much worse with an older sister who is swimming. In our case, I can just steer clear of the pool and not worry about it. He won't know what he is missing. But you can't do that, and little girls want to be just like their big sisters. It would be heartbreaking to watch her watch her sister swim. :(

On the topic of potty training.

Mrs. Zee...have you tried with your oldest putting him straight to underwear? We wanted our son (almost 3) potty trained for this trip..so we finally decided to try again (since he also had no interest in potty training) And we had him potty trained in a week...100%, no accidents, not even at night (well he has been dry at night for a while).

I am so excited about our son being able to swim this time..before we would just avoid the pool area, so he wouldn't see it lol

On the topic of potty training.

Mrs. Zee...have you tried with your oldest putting him straight to underwear? We wanted our son (almost 3) potty trained for this trip..so we finally decided to try again (since he also had no interest in potty training) And we had him potty trained in a week...100%, no accidents, not even at night (well he has been dry at night for a while).

I am so excited about our son being able to swim this time..before we would just avoid the pool area, so he wouldn't see it lol

I am considering it. He just turned two last month, so he may not be ready for underwear yet. I think we are gonna try the cooling pull ups for a couple months and see if that helps. Get him used to an "underwear" type diaper. I really need to start working on this though, lol. I have been so complacent, but if I don't work on it, I will be changing a 6 year olds diaper.

I am considering it. He just turned two last month, so he may not be ready for underwear yet. I think we are gonna try the cooling pull ups for a couple months and see if that helps. Get him used to an "underwear" type diaper. I really need to start working on this though, lol. I have been so complacent, but if I don't work on it, I will be changing a 6 year olds diaper.

It may be a real pain but if you start "tracking" his #1's and #2's it may help. If he is having a fairly consistent pattern (esp w/ #2-like w/in the hour after eating) you may be able to start using underwear sporatically to get him used to it. Some kids really dislike the wet feeling, some could care less. Good Luck and remember--very few high schoolers still wear diapers-this will be conquered! :)

Oh don't worry, I am sure he will be potty trained before three. We had tried right when my son was 2...didn't work..lol Then didn't try again till last month.

Now its teaching to aim..lol you know boys :rolleyes:

Pullups are your enemy when it comes to potty training - they feel like diapers. I nakey butted my three youngest, when they were 2 1/2, and it was pretty instant. If they have more than 2 accidents, they're not ready, but if they are ready, they will use the potty 100% of the time when they have a bare bottom. Then transition to pants (no underwear), and then loose underwear. I do use pullups only for outings and sleeping during this week, but remind them not to go in them.

Archived