SD II: May 23 - June 5, 2010

Thanks to FT for nudging (nagging) zqvol to post a photo of the twins at anchor!!

Totally understand about posting photos while on board:cool:

And of course I know the difference;)

And you will share, right????:D I assume we are not talking about the satellite dome placement.

And you will share, right????:D I assume we are not talking about the satellite dome placement.

You got me Jim!

The only way I can tell the sisters apart when I am not on them is by the placement of the sat domes.

When I am on board the only way I can tell them apart is by who is the captain:p

You got me Jim!

The only way I can tell the sisters apart when I am not on them is by the placement of the sat domes.

When I am on board the only way I can tell them apart is by who is the captain:p

That and the food is slightly different. We particularly like Sudesh's Indian influences on SDI. But then, I did gain a pound a day (as usual) last fall on SDII.:eek:

I can only see one of the satellite domes on each ship. Has one been removed?

Great photo, ZQVOL. Thanks for sharing and thanks to FT for encouraging you to do so (FT, please note that I did not say "nagging"!).

You will notice if you look closely that each yacht now only has one satellite dome. When they upgraded the service last spring each lost one.

BTW we are at Santorini today with ten other ships!

You will notice if you look closely that each yacht now only has one satellite dome. When they upgraded the service last spring each lost one.

Very interesting. I wonder what the prize is for the first correct guess. Were the remaining domes on each ship recentered? Hard to tell from the photo. It is certainly unfortunate that the "Dolly Parton" reference is no longer applicable to SD2!!

I am thinking SD2 (Dolly Parton) is the ship on the right in the photo as that sat dome looks to be a little off center ... but again this is from someone who has been known to be a little off kilter:p

Ten ships!! Mama mia:eek:

Very interesting. I wonder what the prize is for the first correct guess. Were the remaining domes on each ship recentered? Hard to tell from the photo. It is certainly unfortunate that the "Dolly Parton" reference is no longer applicable to SD2!!

I don't have a clue on "recentering" and will leave it up to ZQ Vol to track down the answer on this one. Prize for first correct answer -- get real ---its like the Rolex you got for the most nights on board CTBJR . . . .

With both SD yachts in the same port, the zodiak has been very busy all day going back and forth between the two. Returning from shore (more later) - who do I see, but Nina, who is the current concierge on SD I. After a big hug I find out she's coming to SD II on Saturday when we depart to fill in for Elena who's going on holiday. She tells me that cabins are available next week, but of course, if I don't show up at work next Monday, I won't be able to afford our next SD voyage!:rolleyes:

Today was another gorgeous day in paradise. Watched the yacht sail into the volcano crater that is Santorini., After griping last week about having to use the local ternders I now understand why - its a zoo in the harbor with 11 ships visiting today. I walked the endless (or so it seemed) steps up (and down) the cliff to Fira (pronounced "Thira") - the line for the gondola seemed to take forever. the Walk up took me about 35 minutes, but I stopped multiple times to press myself into corners and nooks to hide from the donkeys who took great pleasure in aiming straight at me and backing me up against the wall. :eek:The walk down was about 15 minutes and I arrived only a couple of minutes after ZQ Vol who rode the donkeys both ways.

After ZQ Vol hopefully finished his shopping in the Greek Isles -- we are checking two addtional suitcases going home and I'm scared to think about our customs declaration, we wandered down the square to grab a taxi to the closest black sand beach. Due to today's weather conditions, the Australian-Greek we met last week and visited again today at the jewelry story had recommended Kamari itoday. No cabs in sight for 20 minutes, so we we went next door to the bus station. What a wonderful surprise. Luxuriously appointed touring coaches serve as the public transit here - so for 1.4 euro each and a 30 minute bus ride (due solely to traffic) we were off to Karmari - a beachside village at the bottom of the cliff where ancient Thira is located. You pass through wine country, including a wine museum. Kamari has a black sand (really rock beach). I did not take water shoes, so decided to not get in the water.

You can rent a pair of chairs and an umbrella for 6 euro per day. the street is lined with bistros. When deciding to have lunch -- we stopped by several. I chose the place where the grandma or greatgrandma, she must have been 100, dressed in black, could barely hold herself erect - but was giving the grandchildren grief like nothing else. I figured if she was supervising - the food, it had to be good. And it was great. I had octopus marinated in vinegar on very tender greens. Then a greek salad and tsziki - very mild, but you could taste the separate flavors,along with a fresh pita. ZQ Vol had a pork souvalki,so tender it melted in your mouth. One of the sides were potatoes - grilled and crisp, but golden - not dark, at first glance I thought it was fruit, it was so pretty. At the end, when the server brought the check, he also brought a pink tinged drink in a small shot glass. When queried, he said it was "ouzo juice". I don't normally like ouzo, but this was great - turns out it was diluted ouzo with grenadine. Yum um. :D

Caught the bus back. only a 15 minute right back to Fira, then walked back down the "hill" and caught the tender back. Had the pool area to ourselves until about 4 when the rest of the guests started trickling back. Heard the cooking excursion was a real hit.. It was highly recommended - the lamb was in filo. Sat in the hot tub for the first time this trip - drinking champagne. The Captain was seen on deck - ZQ Vol indicates that he said we are going to move slightly this evening after untying from our buoys in the harbor so we can anchor in the one available spot for the period necessary to show the concert - I think its someone called David Foster.

Will try to post more later - hard to believe tomorrow is our last full day.

FT

Have now scored the artichoke guacamole recipe. Went to Chela at the concierge desk this afternoon and asked her to remind Chef Josselin regarding my request for the recipe (by the way, its on the vegetarian menu for the degustation menu). When I returned from dinner - it was waiting for me in a sealed envelope stamped "Executive Chef Sea Dream II". Handwritten in black ink was "Chef de Cuisine Jeanblanc Josselin" .. . So Jim Avery, if I share the top secret recipe, I may have to kill you.

As if Lois already didn't have good reason. . . :rolleyes:

FT

For tomorrow - we'll have dual reporting. ZQ Vol is taking the excursions to the "Dazzling White Villages of Sifnos" while FT is heading to supposedly one of the best beaches in Greece.

Heard that Capt. Terio was dining on board tonight - however didn't manage to see him. Understand there was still some "debate" about who would be driving during the Fall crossing though Capt. Johan expected to lose that one and be on instead during the Christmas holidays. Since - reportedly (remember, everything I post is at least 2nd or 3rd hand) the boys are from the same hometown, are about the same age, and went to school together, don't expect the "discussion" to be too acrimonius.

FT

P.S. - who the heck is David Foster?

Have now scored the artichoke guacamole recipe. Went to Chela at the concierge desk this afternoon and asked her to remind Chef Josselin regarding my request for the recipe (by the way, its on the vegetarian menu for the degustation menu). When I returned from dinner - it was waiting for me in a sealed envelope stamped "Executive Chef Sea Dream II". Handwritten in black ink was "Chef de Cuisine Jeanblanc Josselin" .. . So Jim Avery, if I share the top secret recipe, I may have to kill you.

As if Lois already didn't have good reason. . . :rolleyes:

FT

I promise I will be a goooood boy.:eek:

Went to Chela at the concierge desk this afternoon and asked her to remind Chef Josselin regarding my request for the recipe.

Very wise move. That's better than going to the source! Please give her my regards if you think of it.

P.S. - who the heck is David Foster?

Come on FT!! You know his music! As a matter of fact after watching the PBS special on him a year or two ago we bought the DVD/CD package.

Do yourself a favor and go watch the concert. You will keep saying ... "I didn't know he wrote that/produced that song."

Here is the playlist from the CD which is much shorter than the DVD:

"Love Theme from St. Elmo's Fire" - David Foster featuring Kenny G

"Home" - Michael Buble and Blake Shelton

"I Will Have Nothing/I Will Always Love You - Charice (who is a young woman with the most incredible voice)

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Josh Groban and Brian McKnight (better than the original if you ask me)

"Because You Loved Me" - Celine Dion

"Wildflower" - Blake Shelton

"Somewhere" - Katharine McPhee

"Hard to Say I'm Sorry/Glory of Love" - Peter Cetera (Chicago)

"The Prayer" - Andrea Bocelli and Katherine McPhee

It is a wonderful concert!!

As a matter of fact upon your return we will view the DVD while snacking on the secret guacamole dip and drinking the special Greek fruit wines:p

CBTJR - remember that on SDI they were on the mid line anyway. SDII had them side by side. As of now the one remaining on SD II has not been moved but the crew seems to think that they may move it when in drydock. You can provide me the answer from the crossing.

CBTJR - remember that on SDI they were on the mid line anyway. SDII had them side by side. As of now the one remaining on SD II has not been moved but the crew seems to think that they may move it when in drydock. You can provide me the answer from the crossing.

Yes, thanks. As for SD1, was just wondering if they had moved the remaining dome either forward or backward, as the case may be, so that it is located halfway between where the 2 domes were previously located.

After your and FT's reporting these last 2 weeks, I'm looking forward even more to the Crossing in November and will definitely let you know where the SD2 dome is situated then.

Hope you are enjoying your last full day on board as much as I have enjoyed being "taken along". Seems like you just started. FT, you have set a new standard for daily reporting and I appreciate you taking part of each day to give us junkies our fix. ZQVOL, very soon, your fans will be clamoring for pictures, many pictures.:eek: Safe travels to you and all the other SeaDreamers. All the best. Now about that recipe........:D

Jim & Lois.

Just finished kayaking at our 2nd stop at Sifnos. Greece. Now must start the dreading packing while ZQ Vol goes off for his last massage. Aftrer we arrived at Sifnos, there was a nasty sign on board stating that our next stop is Piraeus. I think there is a mistake somewhere.

Today we made two stops – ZQ Vol went off on a 4 hr tour which he enjoyed very much. I headed up for an early spa appointment, then Eggs Benedict and then wandered ashore around 10:00 am. We first stopped at Platys Bay until 2:30 – a very quaint little town, but with golden sand beaches – real sand. There are rocks though – many which are quartz – rose and white primarily. Lesson learned – next time for Greek beaches, bring water shoes. A few shops and restaurants but definitely not largest tourist mecca. After setting sail for Kamares got a wonderful surprise. We had an on deck Champagne & Carviar “service”. Not a splash – since it wasn’t beachside, but champagne and caviar served poolside around 2:30 while we were cruising to Kamares, another quaint little town on Sifnos Island. Peter, our HOT Man, is leaving for holiday tomorrow, with quite a flare. Christophe boards as the Hot Man.

Tenders are still running and water sports are ongoing. I think its about time for the final swim of the voyage.

Forgot to mention yesterday evening during cocktails on deck we had a bit of surprise entertainment in Santorini during Amy’s (CAD’s) remarks about today’s activities – one small tender was heading past the back of SD II when another tender raced past it, circled and then cut across its bow – barely missing it. We all gasped thinking we had witnessed a narrowly averted catastrophe, but then realized that both tenders were totally empty of passengers. Guess they drivers were just letting off steam at the end of the day?

While for the most part, we’ve had a really good group of passengers on board for all 13 days, unfortunately we have one small group on board this week that think they are above the rules – abusive to staff and above the rules. Frankly, I hope to never have to be on board with them again and I hope SD staff doesn’t have to put up with the rudeness we’ve witnessed the past couple of days.

Ooh, Flashy Shoes, yes, it was a group BOB. I was a bit concerned that it was not in the sea, but was reassured that a BOB in the pool counts. And I've been reassured that the alcohol consumption by Mr. Overwurked has been in line with your requirements. They are not checking in on CC this week so I guess I am the go between until every one returns home.

And CTBJR,Chela was very touched by your regards and has asked me to pass hers to you. . . .

Have I forgotten anything else?

FT

And CTBJR,Chela was very touched by your regards and has asked me to pass hers to you. . . . FT

Thanks, FT. I appreciate very much your passing this along for me. Thanks again for the newsy updates. They are very much appreciated. I look forward to seeing you in November if not sooner.

Let me add my thanks to FT for her stellar reporting! Have greatly appreciated the up-to-the-minute reporting. Warn zqvol that once he is home I will start nagging about the photos:p

Please tell Peter we wish him a wonderful holiday! And if you see Christophe please pass along our regards.

How lovely to have a champagne and caviar surprise!

Do you fly home tomorrow? Whenever you head back to the States travel safe!

Do you fly home tomorrow?

We fly home on Sunday. Along with half the yacht, we are staying at the GB again. Having dinner with a relative of ZQ Vol that he's never met from Athens.

Dinner finished tonight with a Chocolate Souffle . . . dread getting on those scales back home.

FT

We fly home on Sunday. Along with half the yacht, we are staying at the GB again. Having dinner with a relative of ZQ Vol that he's never met from Athens.

Dinner finished tonight with a Chocolate Souffle . . . dread getting on those scales back home.

FT

Can't wait to hear about dinner with a long lost native relative! I think that is pretty cool.

Weather here is HOT and HUMID ... more July like than early June:eek:

Safe travels on Sunday!

Archived