SD II: May 23 - June 5, 2010

Enjoy Constantinople FT! Just think you are missing the NASCAR crowd at Concord/CLT this weekend:p

Can't wait to hear about the new itineraries especially since I have a milestone birthday in '12.

The pool filled with sea water doesn't count as swimming in the Med ... at least in my book:cool:

Sounds like Chef Joss is really coming up with wonderful additions to the menu. Earl Grey Souffle and artichoke guacamole ... I can only imagine! I hope zqvol took photos!!

[p.s. I have it on very good authority that some new itineraries are being developed for 2012, both winter and summer.

We,too are interested in hearing the latest as I sit here drinking a bloody mary (that I had to make for myself) wishing I had some SeaDream eggs bennie while contemplating which yardwork to do first.:eek: Keep those reports coming.

J.

8 hrs in Istanbul – about 48 hrs too short! While we had an excellent guide, we definitely will stay 2 or 3 days the next time we visit Istanbul. Topkapi Palace, Sophia Agyia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, and Spice Market were barely doable – with F1 in the city, holiday traffic – some 550+ years since the overthrow of someone . . . I suppose I should start at the beginning.

As we cruised into Constantinople this morning – the sea traffic was unbelievable – like maniac taxi drivers. I learned later from another Cruise Critic poster observing from the bridge that the harbor pilot was taking pictures of ferries cutting us off. Apparently, a submarine last night around 11:00 pm did the same – wonder what country it was from. .? . Pulled up next to the same Windstar ship that has been shadowing us . . . can’t believe that their deck chairs are plastic . . . eek. That was after passing a Celebrity Equinox with about 20 gazillion decks – really only 15 total – no way in heck would I be caught dead with 2300 other passengers.

Disembarking was a breeze. Felt really weird to not have to head to an airport. Our tour guide was great. Took us to the palace straight off. Really amazing place – humongous and the jewels were fantastic. Saw a couple of outer rooms of the harem but didn’t make the inner sanctum. Quite a bit is closed for renovations – including the 12 or so kitchens. Time did not permit us to make the Cistern today but the Sophia Agyia was spellbinding. I’ve been to the Notre Dame and St. Paul’s in London – but neither can compare. Built first as an Orthodox church - the largest in the world at the time incorporating columns from Ephesus and the best materials from all other world – it was first sacked by the “damn crusaders” (the term used by our guide) converted to a mosque by the Muslims, and now exists as museum. With the mosaics and various stages preserved (three) – the two hours we spent there could easily have been expanded to four.

With the Blue Mosque – go in the left entrance – t he line is much shorter than the one for the right entrance. To me, the least impressive of all the places we visited today. Guide took us to a “hole in the wall” restaurant – the “Pudding Shop.” Been around for more than 70 years. ZQ Vol had stuffed grape leaves (dolmathes) closer to what his grandmother made than anything he’s gotten in the US for the past 30 years.

Grand Bazaar has 17 gates (entrances) and more than 4000 shops – and I got a bit claustrophobic today. However, there is quite a bit of shopping. I’m not sure if I am ever brave enough to ever venture in without a guide. We did find DS a beautiful gold cross for about half what we would expect to pay in the US.

Our biggest expenditure to date on this trip was in the Spice Market – found a vendor who resembles a 40 yr old Al Pacino (and has his picture in his store with various Hollywood B list stars and beauty queens). Bringing home nutmeg, saffron (really good stuff); peppercorns, and assorted other spices, teas, and dried fruits, vacuum sealed and packed.

We straggled back to the ship around 4:30. People were trickling in. First time we’ve ever boarded where people were not full in early on. Sail away at 6:00 was gorgous – went past the Palace, the Mosque, and the Agyia. ZQ Vol is up to 4000 pictures! Maybe he will post some day.

Overworked is on board.

I had another great massage – learned the spa is moving to Prairie products shortly.

Dinner was a repeat menu from last Saturday night – however, we limited ourselves to two courses – soup and entrée. Celery soup for ZQ Vol and I had the Wellness soup – Spicy Pork Noodle (fantastic). We each had the beef tenderloin – this week with a peppercorn crust. We also limited ourselves to one piece of fresh French Bread. Petit fours had not made it to the table by the time we left but we were too just tired!

Good new folks – heard it directly from Jaime, Sylvio is returning shortly. So Mrs. Toybar, you have no excuse to not make the fall crossing.

Hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend. I know we are.

FT

Frequent Traveler:

Maybe we don't need ZQ Vol's pictures after all....are you sure you're not the college professor? Your words are painting such a wonderful picture of everything, especially enjoying the post on Istanbul.

Also, a favor, do you have a link for the post regarding the submarine and ferries cutting you off? Or even which board this info was posted on. Thanks!

Please don't use up all your posting energy, because I am waiting most of all to hear about the two SeaDreams at anchor in Santorini.

Afternoon From (Not On SDII) Canada...

Spice markets, castles and earl grey soufflé oh my. The Ms and I are sooooo envious. Nice to hear that Overwurked and crew made it. Please say hi and get Zoltan to make something yummy for me. I know Mr. Overwurked can handle an extra bevvie and will do it justice.

Cheers,

FlashyShoes (vacationing vicariously)

Frequent Traveler:

Also, a favor, do you have a link for the post regarding the submarine and ferries cutting you off? Or even which board this info was posted on. Thanks!

Please don't use up all your posting energy, because I am waiting most of all to hear about the two SeaDreams at anchor in Santorini.

Thanks for the kinds words. . . If the two SDs are together I will definitely post about the experience. I think the only time I've ever seen them together is in St. Barts and for some reason - I seem to remember some sort of passing on one of my crossings so Santorini will be an unique experience.

I don't think there's been a separate posting yet about the submarine and ferries. I heard about the incidents from different guests, each who post here on CC but who haven't made it home yet. Both promise to though.

Another glorious day here as we head back to Mytilene. Amy has added on a swim at the end of her walk today . . We are not docking, instead going to tender in. I think water toys have been added. Also announced yesterday was a new excursion in Ephesus - I think if we didn't already have a private tour arranged, we would be doing - it sounds very much fun and is very reaonably priced.

Since mussels haven't been located for what I consider to be first day lunch, we're going to head on shore for lunch Greek food today - hopefully more calamari, octopus, etc. Guess I may have to find the gym this morning.

Sleep well - we did. Forgot to mention we passed the windstar ship last night - it had its sails up - it was a pretty sight - the white sails on the aquamarine water. The water was stunning - Jaime was commenting he never saw water like that in South Africa. The water was so calm, it was almost like glass. Just a bit of haze to blur the sunset. I'm not sure how we are going to adjust to our very pretty, but what will seem very ordinary Carolina sunsets after these glorious Greek and Turkish evenings.

FT

FT

FT is doing such a wonderful job that there is no need for me to post. I do promise that when we get home I will post pictures. For those of you who understnad these things I am shooting at a pretty high resolution. To post them so that you can see them I have to resize and do a couple of other things and don't have the right software with me to do them justice. Sorry :(

FT is doing such a wonderful job that there is no need for me to post. I do promise that when we get home I will post pictures. For those of you who understnad these things I am shooting at a pretty high resolution. To post them so that you can see them I have to resize and do a couple of other things and don't have the right software with me to do them justice. Sorry :(

FT is indeed providing incredibly descriptive commentary! Greatly appreciated:D

Completely understand about the photo ... but still can't wait to see them upon your return!

DJ's DH and I thought of you both while we camped out all day at the pool yesterday.

Thanks so much FT for the very descriptive reporting! Brings back lots of memories of our Greece and Turkey trip 4 years ago. It's also helping me get into the Greek frame of mind for the "Big Fat Greek Wedding" we're going to this afternoon! Since I can't be there with you, this wedding is the next best thing!

FT is indeed providing incredibly descriptive commentary! Greatly appreciated:D

Completely understand about the photo ... but still can't wait to see them upon your return!

DJ's DH and I thought of you both while we camped out all day at the pool yesterday.

Well you know where all 4000+ that have already been taken can be seen.

Thanks so much FT for the very descriptive reporting! Brings back lots of memories of our Greece and Turkey trip 4 years ago. It's also helping me get into the Greek frame of mind for the "Big Fat Greek Wedding" we're going to this afternoon! Since I can't be there with you, this wedding is the next best thing!

All I can say to that is OPA!

Didn’t make it to the gym, but did walk around deck 6 for 40 minutes this morning to justify another visit to the spa this afternoon and went kayaking in the Med this afternoon, while I didn’t tip over, I did get wet – does that count Jen? ;)

The trip back to Mytilene was under clear sky and with smooth seas – started out as indigo, changed to sapphire along the way, but stayed smooth. I’ve seen rougher picnic blankets on grass – that’s how calm its been today. Upper decks were pretty empty this morning. Heard it was a late night for some – with dinner not finishing until 11:30.

I did stop by the “Sea Dream Market Day” this morning. The spa was selling a number of Declor products at 50% off – guess it was a close out sale and it appears they were doing a pretty brisk business. Some cute new shirts and other merchandise but after yesterday’s spree in Istanbul – I’m trying to be good (except for the spa – which of course is needed physical therapy). Did get a promise from Chef Josselin for the artichoke guacamole recipe, so Jim – what are you offering for a copy?

We jumped ship fairly early and had lunch at a little café on the waterfront. ZQ Vol had pistichio (Greek macaroni with beef and cream sauce). It was delicious and the serving size was humongous. Leftovers were slipped to two little cats sitting quietly by the table. I had squid grilled and stuffed with feta. We also had a fresh tomato salad with cucumbers. Made the mistake of ordering two separate salads – when each was made of at least two of the freshest tomatoes – probably came down the hill this morning and the sweetest cucumbers. Accompanied by at least six pieces of grilled bread brushed with garlic oil and herbs. We watched the bus boy clearing a table next to us – he threw the uneaten bread in the water and massive fish swarmed around it. So we did the same – great entertainment!

Most of the shops were closed today so we wandered back to tenders. At least it was safe to walk today, as traffic was probably one tenth of what it was on Friday and the motor scooter loonies were not out in full force. Passed the group going for the walk to the Castle. Was greeted by the Captain leading the group. And met fellow CC posters, SWASSBAC. Understand the group was going to swim at the Statute of Liberty at the end (the Greek version)– but haven’t heard yet if the brave souls actually did it. Also passed Ferenc (sommelier - whose name I've misspelled number of times) and Sean (our waiter from South Africa who will be the sommelier when Ferenc goes home next week) heading over to the beach for an hour. Peter was able to only take an hour today to get a walk on shore.

I decided to come back to the yacht and use the kayak since the seas were so calm. And not a single soul was using the water toys – didn’t want the SD crew to be totally bored. I was doing quite well when I looked up and saw this small outboard on a path that looked like it would intersect with me – so I headed back toward SD. The outboard then gets close enough that I can see 4 males. The outboard seems to takes a turn that put its on a direct collision course with me - I am not a great kayaker (to say the least – I move backwards better than forward) and I’m getting nervous :eek:– but no fear, a crew member in the Zodiak has been watching the outboard approach. He deliberately moves the Zodiak in between me and the outboard, creating a wake so that the outboard has to slow down. I manage to paddle a bit closer to SD and the outboard turns away and goes on to the freighter anchored farther out. I’m sure I was never in any danger – but that was enough drama for my day, so I headed in. (Colin tells me the crew member was Rio, so Rio, thank you very much) :):):)

Tonight’s dinner menu blew the two course idea right out the window – escargot and steak tartar as appetizers. There is a salad course topped with grilled calamari. Lobster repeats as an entree. Soup includes corn chowder and the mushroom velout with truffle oil and the Chef advised me that the chocolate dessert is on the menu. Such difficult choices. Oh well, I did walk and kayak today (however briefly) and we are touring Sirince tomorrow morning. I will need my energy, right? :rolleyes:

FT

Instead of packing enough clothes to last the two weeks that we are on board, II decided to have my laundry done on board the ship. Sent out the obligatory golf shirts , "T" shirts (from the soggy dollar and other such exotic locales) and the male version of "unmentionables" (What the heck underwear is underwear) yesterday afternoon.

Retunr to the cabin today an found the golf shirts neatly laundered and pressed on hangers as expected. Also found all the "t" shirts on hangers and neatly pressed, but even better found all the underwear neatly folded wrapped in tissue and presented in a basket, with a nice cabin # tag attached. Where can you find such service?

Only on SD!

Another marvelous day from the sounds of it. Quite the exercise person today. Hey, thanks for the recipe (thanking in advance, of course). Next time I see you at TOY, I'll buy you an espresso martini.:D

J & L.

Another marvelous day from the sounds of it. Quite the exercise person today. Hey, thanks for the recipe (thanking in advance, of course). Next time I see you at TOY, I'll buy you an espresso martini.:D

J & L.

you don't get it do you Jim? - this is going to cost you - such as no snide remarks directed at the undersigned on this Board say for a year - after which you'll get the recipe? :D

I have a open tab at TOY, in fact a number of people do, so the offer of a drink won't get it.

FT

This is a wonderful live thread, and it just keeps getting better. Thank you both FT and ZQ Vol (ZQ Vol: just kidding about the pictures, I cannot wait to see all 4000+!) for taking me along for this amazing ride. FT: I do expect both SDI and SDII are going to be together in Santorini, the on-shore excursion list for each is identical on their respective voyage numbers for this Thursday.

I know we've discussed caviar in other threads - its available every night for a charge -

1 oz with the fixings is $44 and 3 oz with egg, creme fraiche, lemon wedge, chopped onion, blinis and melba toast is $132. And no - I haven't ordered - so I don't know any more than that listing on the menu.

FT

you don't get it do you Jim? - this is going to cost you - such as no snide remarks directed at the undersigned on this Board say for a year - after which you'll get the recipe? :D

I have a open tab at TOY, in fact a number of people do, so the offer of a drink won't get it.

FT

Snide? Me? Impossible! I will be good though for the recipe. Deal? If not, give it to that very nice Mrs. Rolltide1. She will share.:D

Ah, FT -- Jim has always sounded like a really nice guy :) Be nice and give him the recipe!

Thoroughly enjoying your posts -- can't wait to see ZQs pics! Will be very interested in your ports this week -- particularly Mykonos, Santorini and Sifnos as we will be there is September. What is the new excursion in Kusadasi? Will also be interested in how you get to Athens from the port or are you going straight to the airport?

How much change is there in the menu from last week? I've found on our B2Bs that the menu tends to repeat itself for the most part -- not necessarily a bad thing as it gives me the opportunity to try some courses I missed the previous week!

Hey, Whatnot -- enjoy your wedding!

Vandrefalk

"...and Sean (our waiter from South Africa who will be the sommelier when Ferenc goes home next week).." FT

FT, I'm thinking this probably is the same Sean (also from South Africa) who was our bartender on SD1 this past January.

We were really hoping he would be back on SD1 in June. Not only does he make outstanding, inventive drinks, he's also very interesting and personable.

If this is the same 'Sean', I'm glad to hear SD is making him a sommelier on SD2, even if it means he won't be on our cruise.

CDreamer

enough drama for my day, so I headed in. (Colin tells me the crew member was Rio, so Rio, thank you very much) :):):)

FT

Ok, between my southern accent and Colin's South Africa accent, we really messed this one up - According to Daniiel, Ruel saved me today from the renegade outboard (I think - assuming Colin got the Zodiak driver right and if he didn't whoever it was - thank you).

Up to 91 crew members this week for 90 something guests - of which only 46 or so are americans. Guests are from 10 or 12 countries. 11 or 12 each of Ozzies and Brazilians on board, along with folks from UK, Norway, Sweden, Mexico, and I forget wherever else.

The powers that be in Miami and Norway have decided that each spa will have an English speaking spa manager - one arrived this week - or one from Norway, plus the spare from somewhere else, not sure who is in charge, is a bit chaotic up stairs. Not sure I like the change - I was quite happy with the status quo . . .

tonight's dinner was one of the best. Escargot -- omg -- the bread was to die for - light and airy - and I used it to soak up every bit of the garlic sauce. Then I revisited the mushroom soup with truffles ( I heard someone ask if they could get the soup without the truffle oil and why would you want to do that?). I then had this really nice chicken salad - not really a salad other than it was ground up - but spicy and with cilantro. And I had the steak tartate as my entree. Taste was the same as last week - but presentation was different. ZQ Vol had the lamb. And dessert was the fantastic SD chocolate noir - petit fours were different too. Had expresso beans on top. Must walk many miles tomorrow.

Hey flashy shoes - overwurked says they'll do a "bob" for you.

FT

a quick supplement to yesterday's entry about Mytilene.

Last night's movie showing was Mama Mia. Tonight is disco night.

My spa treatment was done outside, front of deck four with a lovely view of the Castle. Timing happened to coincide with the return of the water toys back to storage. quite interesting to watch that event. A couple of times, crew members rode up with the Zodiaks - wouldn't want to do that job - lifted up from the water to deck 3 by a crane, even with a hard hat.

With the change away from Declor to Prairie products the spa is also changing some of the treatments. The $95 Perfect Legs has been changed to $100 Perfect Pedicure - but there's no nail polish involved. there's a scrub, a mask, and a massage with lotion - no oils and finishes with the head massage. Very nice but I did miss not doing it on the back of deck 4 like the last time I had the treatment in March 09 - remember Jen?

we are approaching Kusadasi and off to our village in the Mountains. have a good evening.

FT

Yesterday was quite an adventure filled day for you FT! I can only imagine the mild panic that set in with that fast approaching boat:eek:

Sorry ... getting wet while kayaking does not count. You have to actually GET in the water ... you don't have to get your hair wet though:D

Sigh ... I sure could you a spa treatment al fresco on deck 4. Do you know why they have changed spa products? I also wonder what the deal is with the English speaking spa manager. We've never had an issue with the lovely Thai women at the spa.

We were quite impressed with the laundry service when we used them on SD2 as well. I did get a chuckle about the underwear presentation!!

Sirinca is a great little village further up the mountain – only about 20 minutes away from Ephesus. We think we could have gone there late in the afternoon if we had had only one day at Kusadasi. Just as I think I’m done shopping – today was much less costly – but first – narrow winding cobble streets only accessible by foot and the tractors. Vendors include the grandmothers of the village. Much less intrusive than those of the city. The village is famous for its olive groves – only picked by hand due to steep hills and its wines. Free samples and tastings with various degrees of alcohols. I never thought we’d be bringing back fruit wine – but for 10 Euros we have a bottle of peach and a bottle of black mulberry wine – not too sweet, not too tart. Drink it chilled - we sampled everything from melon to cherry. And the food – was fantastic. We grazed with various appetizers. One piece of thin beef was stuff with cheese, ham, and mushrooms and then grilled. Tiropita, and tiny fresh grape leaves stuffed with rice and local seasonings, a tomato salad dressed with the local vinegar and olive oil. You walked up to a display case –pointed to what you wanted, the owner explained what was in it and then they cooked the pieces you selected. Total meal was $23 Euros and we ordered way too much.

Not too many tourists today in Sirinca, but apparently gets very busy on the weekends in the summer. There is both a mosque and an Orthodox church which is not is use and was ransacked when the Greeks left. Some pieces of original mosaics remain and this was the closest we have been able to get which was very nice. I think ZQ Vol is up to 5,000 pictures now.

Acquired some Olive Oil at a very reasonable price and Turkish delight for the office. Back on ship now - its extremely hot today so just being lazy after half an hour on the treadmill. ZQ Vol went back out and acquired a small rug and fulfilled several requests for his brother. So many went on Ephesus tour today, guests needed 4 buses. Crew was able to go shopping too. Lots of shopping bags have been seen returning to the yacht. Tonight we are having cocktails and dinner out doors (last night cocktails were in doors – we were sailing – however, we did have calamari which was nice change). Having a reflexology at 4.

Have a great day.

FT

Enjoy your reflexology FT! That is one of my all time favorite SD spa treatments.

Again it sounds like you and zqvol are having a grand time. Walking the town, trying local cuisine ... priceless I am sure! So will there be a wine tasting while we look at all 5000 pictures:p

yes, there will definitely be a wine tasting - and if you want to look at all 5000 +, you will definitely need the wine. I don't expect to look at them all!

Dear Clint has made me a delicious banana dacquiri with a shot of kahlua - when someone poolside commented that it was too sweet for him. I had to explain that on SD, the bartenders all know that I prefer them without Simple sugar - just banana, rum, and a bit of lime juice - saw several being made as I headed down to clean up.

Another know you are on SD moment I forgot to mention yesterday. I got up very early - wanted to see our sail away moments -- Louie was upstairs on the top deck setting up for breakfast - he interrupted his routine when he sawing me sitting there reading the newspaper to bring me a cappuchino with a Splenda -- long before breakfast service ever started. Later that same morning - I was standing deckside and before I could even sit down to a table, Sean had a cappuchino waiting for me. It's the little things that make me want to never get off.

FT

Archived