SD II: May 23 - June 5, 2010

I do love multi-tasking. while waiting for a conference call to start, went on line and booked a massage,:D hopefully will start just at the end of the life boat drill on Sunday. Great way to start the voyage and keep me from spending too much time at the TOYBAR -- Monday can be soooo tough with a never empty glass of champagne all Sunday afternoon & evening;)

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL time -- will be looking forward to updates and descriptions, especially since we will be on some of the same islands in September. Safe travels all and have a drink (or two or three :)) for all of us left at home at the TOY!!

Vandrefalk

Bags are packed and ready to go . . . just sorting through the stack of Guide books. thank goodness business class allows extra weight for luggage:rolleyes:

Even found some Euros in my desk from the last business trip to Europe, but may have to convert extra on this trip since dollar is record high.

We take off at noon EDST today. Will try to post from Athens. Hope all our fellow travelers have safe trips and on time arrivals.

FT

Bags are packed and ready to go . . . just sorting through the stack of Guide books. thank goodness business class allows extra weight for luggage:rolleyes:

Even found some Euros in my desk from the last business trip to Europe, but may have to convert extra on this trip since dollar is record high.

We take off at noon EDST today. Will try to post from Athens. Hope all our fellow travelers have safe trips and on time arrivals.

FT

Bon voyage FT and Zqvol!!

I know you will have an outstanding two weeks:D

Probably too much ouzo. OPA!:eek:

no ouzo yet! ZQ Vol said to tell you just Mytheos so far. This is FT logged in on ZQ Vol's computer.

We are here and have been all over old Athens today. Started off with a weather delay in Atlanta. Very glad we took the 12:30 flight. With a later flight we would not have made our flight to Athens. Flight attendants told us first class was supposed to be full but due to bad weather and delays, half did not make their connection.

Smooth flight over once we took off. Began my preparations for SD as Delta was serving a very nice Piper Heidenseck [sic] Champagne. ZQ Vol had a pinot and port. Arrived about an hour late and as we approached what what do we see at the end of the runway - but an IKEA store!

No traffic from the airport to Athens today and our cab driver told us tomorrow would be the same. The GB is pretty full but managed to get us in a room when we arrived. After a brief rest, we headed out. Have been to the original Olympic Temple, Hadrian's Gate and the wonderful new Acropolis Museum. We strongly recommend it. Also went to Syntagma Square, saw the changing of the Guard, past the Library of Hadrian and the Roman Agora and the Tower of the Winds. Spent some time in Monastiraki Square and ended up on "Souvlaki Row" where we had some great food (unbelievable Greek salad with sweet tomatoes, mild feta and freshest cucumbers you can imagine). The only drawback were the constant street peddlers. I think I jumped six feet when a teenage girl started playing the accordion about six inches from my ear. Those who know me can only imagine the emphatic "no" that I belted out. And yes, I kept my language clean. The wait staff were diligent about shooing them away, but it was a bit irritating.

Off to the Acropolis proper tomorrow morning. It was cloudy today and we were dragging so we decided to save that excursion for first thing tomorrow.

More to follow. Looking for calamari and seafood tonight -maybe we'll encounter some ouzo and our cabdriver George told us about another Greek liquor that is supposedly 65% alcohol, I don't think we'll find it, but who knows.;)

FT

Glad to hear that you have arrived safe and sound in Greece despite the weather:eek:

Sounds like a most excellent arrival day! You covered a lot of ground despite (in spite) of jet lag!! I can just hear you saying "NO!!!"

this is FT again, hopefully when we get on SD, I'll log in under my own name. We faded fast and decided to stay in for dinner. Had dinner at the "GB Corner". Showed up just as they were closing and hostess snuck us in. Turns out table next to us were a very nice couple from NY boarding their very first SD cruise tomorrow. They are trying SD on the recommendations of friends who have sailed in the Caribbean.

No ouzo or other greek liquor tonight. Just a very nice red wine. ZQ Vol did have an outstanding dessert - diples. Presentation was outstanding and very different from the US version. Its been very interesting for this Greek boy to get back to his "roots". Lots of pictures to be posted.

GB service is outstanding. I think we have had turndown service twice today. Bathroom is very very nice, though scale is staying under marble sink. Toiletries are oversized Gilcrist & Somes.

ZQ Vol figures we completed Rick Steve's Athens City Walk today . . . tomorrow, its the Acropolis. . .;)

FT

Now that I am posting on my own. I will add that after we claimed luggage and walked through customs (can you call it that when there is not even anyone there?) what did we see but George the Famous Grrek taxi driver with a sign and our names waiting to wisk us to town. He polietly waited while we changed money and stretched from the 11:30 flight from ATL.

FT neglected to mention that she took a nap while I went wandering. The churches in Athens are interesting. Just like at home they are everywhere, but unlike at home they are all Greek Orthodox. What I found interesting is that they are much darker than the orthodox churches at home, but they contain some wonderful relics of the saints. VEry humbling to be in these places.

It is hard to not stop every time I breath and take more pictures. The wonderful thing about digital is that I just snap away. I am going to break down and haul an extra lens and the video tomorrow. I have seen some pictures from atop the acropolis and I think that the long lens will really provide some great views. I have no idea when I will get them up. Internet is too slow to post many pics, but they will be there when we get home.

ZQ

Enjoying reading your posts immensely, FT and ZQ Vol!! I know that everyone on this board appreciates your time in sharing this wonderful trip with us. I feel we are right there with you...Thank you! Be safe and enjoy!! SeaDream 2 awaits. WoooHoooo!

Glad to see that the real zqvol has checked in:p

Loving your reports! Sounds like your first day is everything you could hope for it be:D

Storming here ... again. Washout of a weekend so you aren't missing a thing!

its FT again.

An absolutely gorgeous day in Athens. ZQ Vol woke early thinking he could "stream" the race but alas the Internet was too slow . . .so back to bed for a couple of more hours sleep. Then breakfast at the rooftop restaurant. A beautiful view of the Acropolis. Watched a couple of ships pass by. did not spot our SD. A delicious, expensive but definitely worth the price for the view - take your camera if you ever eat there.

Made it to the Acropolis just as it opened - absolutely stunning. And we beat the crowds. Only one tour group there but as we were leaving the masses from Princess arrived. They were so cute - groups of 20 wearing little red stickers with numbers 12, 13, 14, 15 and following leaders holding 6 foot colored sticks with large colored posters that they would hold in the air . .. but I digress. ;)

the streets were almost empty this morning. As we walked up the hill to the Acropolis we heard two liturgy services - ZQ Vol was able to distinguish between the two - one was more like the Orthodox service in the US and the other was Byzantine. Then as you walk up the hill you pass by the outside of the theater and as you climb up the Acropolis you overlook down into the theater - still being used after thousands of years. It gives you chills. We passed a line of Greek soldiers in traditional garb on their way down. They were carrying clearly functional rifles, were accompanied by a soldier in combat fatigues carrying a much more functional assault weapon, and they were all very fit. It was a contrast to see those large muscular thighs in the tights and shoes with how shall I say it "pom poms" that are part of the Greek traditional uniform.

Thank goodness for digital cameras. Between the Parthenon, the temples, the Ancient Roman Agora and all of the other antiguities, if we were using film, we'd be taking out a 2nd mortgage to pay developing costs.

After leaving the Acropolis, we then climbed Mars Hill. Of course, I took the difficult route at the top slipping and sliding down some marble sending a couple of young Greek men almost into hysterics. I couldn't figure out what was so funny until I saw the very gentle path that would have make the trek very easy.:rolleyes:

now back at the hotel - will change and then head to SD later. perhaps an after dinner first day posting to follow.

FT

:DHad a lovely mozzarella and tomato salad before leaving the hotel today – but I’m sure no one wants to hear about that. Saw several couples who ended up being fellow SD passengers.

DJ – pick your chin up off the floor, but we were not in the first twenty passengers to board SD today. However, when we did arrive, we were very surprised to see James, the Commodore standing at the greeting desk in the terminal. We saw his lovely wife and daughter again before they were heading off on holiday.

Going up the gangplank, we met the new Captain. We understand he’s from Captain Terio’s hometown and intial feed back is very very positive. He has a beautiful speaking voice – as its coming over the PA right now with the upcoming life boat drill.

New twist on the hor d’eovers – full caviar bar manned by Chef Joss – very nice twist (it was missing the wonderful vinegar).

I’ve already had the great minty foot massage – after the life boat drill will have a regular massage – more to follow later.

FT

believe me, I have wasted nothing

first, I had it confirmed from several sources, that our new captain is the captain who outran and outgun pirates off the coast of Somalia as a SeaBourne captain. Big topic of conversation tonight at the cocktail party, not by the Captain but by other guests who had also sailed on Seabourne.

Internet is extremely slow. Hope it speesds up tomorrow since some us have to work.

I was very good for dinner tonight. Actually skipped the entree. Had prosciutto and melon for the appetizer. Kitchen must not have been advised I am allergic to strawberry or else are trying to kill me since it showed up. . . DJ - what did you tell them? Had celery soup (yumm umm) and then Thai prawns appetizer for dinner. With wonderful Grand Marnier souflle for dessert. Main courses that I skipped (give me an award) included tuna and beef tenderloin,

Peter is our Hot Man. Jaime is our Maitre D. We had a wonderful waiter - Sean from South Africa (thing James Bond with a Durbin accent) Unfortunately, Chad the bartender is no longerr with SD. And Ms. toybar, Sylvio has left SD . . . working on something in his home country. Next week Jaime, Peter, and Clint leave . . . along with us.

Ft

I can't believe you weren't the FIRST ones on board. What's up with that:confused::p

Very nice touch with the caviar bar ... have some for me since I can no longer enjoy it! (stupid allergies!!) Hey don't blame me for the strawberries ... my money is on zqvol;)

Very interesting about the new captain. I read on the SB board the other day that one of the CCers favorite CD (ACD on SD) has jumped ship and will be on the Azamara Journey with some familiar SD alumni. Sounds like lots of moving around in this niche of cruising in terms of crew.

Please give our regards to Clint, Peter and Jamie ... will they be with us on the crossing?

Glad to hear you are behaving:D

FT, glad to hear that your trip is off to a great start. Please give our SD 2 friends our very best regards and tell them that we look forward to seeing many of them (and you) in November.

I am fairly confident that Captain Sven Erik Pedersen (former Sea Goddess Captain, incidentally) was captain of the Seabourn Spirit when they encountered pirates off of Somalia in 2005. Perhaps the new SD captain was onboard the Spirit in a capacity other than Captain? Or perhaps he was on another ship that encountered pirates? In any event, you are an outstanding reporter and I'm confident that you'll have the entire story figured out very soon. Also, looking forward to your take on the new SD2 capt. as well as any news on whether a replacement has been named for SD1's Capt. Berg.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise(s)! And keep the reports coming. Thanks.

FT, glad to hear that your trip is off to a great start. Please give our SD 2 friends our very best regards and tell them that we look forward to seeing many of them (and you) in November.

I am fairly confident that Captain Sven Erik Pedersen (former Sea Goddess Captain, incidentally) was captain of the Seabourn Spirit when they encountered pirates off of Somalia in 2005. Perhaps the new SD captain was onboard the Spirit in a capacity other than Captain? Or perhaps he was on another ship that encountered pirates? In any event, you are an outstanding reporter and I'm confident that you'll have the entire story figured out very soon. Also, looking forward to your take on the new SD2 capt. as well as any news on whether a replacement has been named for SD1's Capt. Berg.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise(s)! And keep the reports coming. Thanks.

I am so glad that I am not losing my mind . . . the 82 year old guest who was insisting on this is a very nice man, but when I pointed out that the SD press release about the new captain had only mentioned the Olson cruise lines, he just said that he knew what "really happened". ;)

and I found out --- I am only second in nights this trips:rolleyes:

got to go find some donkeys tomorrow.

more tomorrow night

FT

Archived