E-docs...is that all we get???

Jenbo57

Received an e-mail from NCL the other day, letting us know our e-docs were ready to print. Was surprised to find out that all it was was a one-page itinerary, two "tickets", and luggage tags that wouldn't print correctly.

Will we be receiving something in the mail, too??? We've cruised on three other lines, and all three provided us with much more information prior to our first cruise with them!

Received an e-mail from NCL the other day, letting us know our e-docs were ready to print. Was surprised to find out that all it was was a one-page itinerary, two "tickets", and luggage tags that wouldn't print correctly.

Will we be receiving something in the mail, too??? We've cruised on three other lines, and all three provided us with much more information prior to our first cruise with them!

Sounds about right. What part of the documents do you feel are missing that you might need?

Can you elaborate on the issue with the luggage tags? It would seem odd that the printer would print one document and not another. What wasn't right about the way they printed?

With some more information, it will be easier to help you out.

Well, let's see... The luggage tags, on the computer screen, are pre-printed with our stateroom number / date of sailing. That info doesn't appear on the tags when printed.

I would have expected some sort of "welcome aboard" packet of information. I know I can probably find answers to any questions I may have on the website, but sometimes it's nice to sit down with a brochure or booklet, which is standard for the other lines we've been on.

No worries if that's all we get; just didn't know whether I should be looking for something more! ;)

Times have changed with cruise lines in that in years gone bye you indeed did recieve a lot more information about your cruise; but I've been on four different cruise lines in the past 5 years and pretty much everything comes as you descibe recieving yours through the internet. Just the way it is, and each cruise line does nice jobs with thier web pages to give you any information you might be looking for.

Have a great time on your cruise!! :-)

We cruised for our first time last October and we recieved a Welcome aboard booklet in the mail shortly after final payment was made. It had some useful information and some preprinted luggage tags in the middle of the booklet. I think I read a post a couple weeks ago about someone had just recieved theirs in the mail. If you booked directly through NCL they will mail it to you, if you booked though a TA they mail them to the TA.

Beside the edoc, I received and welcome booklet with information and 10 luggage tags. You should get an email from NCL letting you know when they ship the booklet (although it did take them a while).

I booked through a TA but got my booklet directly from NCL

Well, let's see... The luggage tags, on the computer screen, are pre-printed with our stateroom number / date of sailing. That info doesn't appear on the tags when printed.

I would have expected some sort of "welcome aboard" packet of information. I know I can probably find answers to any questions I may have on the website, but sometimes it's nice to sit down with a brochure or booklet, which is standard for the other lines we've been on.

No worries if that's all we get; just didn't know whether I should be looking for something more! ;)

I agree. It would be nice to get some recognition and acknowledgment for choosing NCL.

This is almost impossible to describe without actually looking over your shoulder, but what is happening is that your print settings for the Internet aren't selecting the whole page. The luggage tags are basically in layers or segments and you are not getting them all.

It is actually a very easy change to your print settings, but it differs from computer to computer and printer to printer. (I know, not much help, right?)

When you hit FILE -- PRINT, select print preferences and look for something that is indicating that the entire page is or is not selected.

Another trick that sometimes works is to hit EDIT -- SELECT ALL, then hit FILE -- PRINT and check "Print Selection"

I understand your other issue more clearly now, too. I thought you were questioning your eDocs as to their completeness. You will also receive a "Welcome Aboard" booklet in the mail with other information. However, the edocs (actually, only the ticket page) is all that you NEED to get on the ship.

Sorry, but I'm rather inexperienced at doing the e-ticket thing. Do we print our own ticket/boarding passes at home the day we leave for the airport? Then, on the day we return home, we find a kiosk in the airport to do the same thing for the return flight? That seems to be what I remember doing several years ago. Should there be anything different I should be doing? Thanks. I'm trying my best to get ready and be ready for our Saturday afternoon flight. I'm getting nervous, I think, and that's not helping anything. Does anyone have some words of calming influence so I don't have to turn to the medicines that will try to do the same kind of things.? If you do, I would appreciate hearing a few of those words. WE leave Saturday, flying to Miami for a cruise on the Dawn. Don't want any earthquakes, tidal waves, rogue waves, or tsunamis AND we don't want any plane that has to land in a river because birds found their way into where they shouldn't be. Thanks for reading this and please send any calming advise. It will be much appreciated. Debbie

I am assuming you haven't cruised for awhile as almost all lines are doing the same thing. Sometimes you do get a booklet as well, but what you have is probably all you are going to get. If you are not happy with the luggage tags you can get better ones at the pier.

NIta

We are sailing in about 3 weeks and I called my PCC (cruise was booked thru NCL) and asked why we haven't received our Welcome Aboard packets yet. He looked and found that the computers had readied the packets, but didn't process them for mailing. He was able to get them sent out and we should receive them any day. I would suggest calling NCL and making sure yours don't have the same problem.

Good Luck and Happy Cruising!

I booked our March 26th cruise (Dawn) on February 14th. The next day I logged onto NCL, filled in the required info and printed my e-docs. Last week I received a "Welcome" package in the mail which included luggage tags and coupons.

Karen

re: question about airline boarding passes

Go the the airline website the day before your trip and do the online checkin thing. In fact, I would go there TODAY and try to get the best available seats. You will need to be a member of that airlines Freq Flyer club to do this.

Though it is nice to print boarding passes in advance, it is NOT required. Since you already have to check bags at the airport, you can print boarding passes then.

As to boarding the ship. We have shown up with NOTHING before, and had not problems. Only place you might have a problem is getting onto the pier past the rent a cops. After you do your online registration for the cruise, print and take that page with you. Also, they have extra luggage tags when you get there.

re: question about airline boarding passes

Go the the airline website the day before your trip and do the online checkin thing. In fact, I would go there TODAY and try to get the best available seats. You will need to be a member of that airlines Freq Flyer club to do this.

Though it is nice to print boarding passes in advance, it is NOT required. Since you already have to check bags at the airport, you can print boarding passes then.

As to boarding the ship. We have shown up with NOTHING before, and had not problems. Only place you might have a problem is getting onto the pier past the rent a cops. After you do your online registration for the cruise, print and take that page with you. Also, they have extra luggage tags when you get there.

Check-in as close to 24 hours prior to your flight...for most airlines (except Southwest) pay for your baggage on-line from home during check-in whenever possible and print your boarding passes. At the airport, scan your home-printed boarding pass at the kiosk and this will issue your bag tags and the ticket agent will call you up.

Several airlines now charge additional fee's if you wait and pay at the ticket counter for your baggage rather than paying on-line. On the return portion, you can check-in on the ship, but it might cost more to use the internet on the ship than what it cost for the additional fee at the airport for non-on-line check-in.

If flying Southwest, luck of the draw for your seat (HATE that) but you can pay extra to have the airline automatically check you in.

As far as cruise docs go...they are neat to have I guess, but serve no purpose; reminds me of my cars owners manual...I skimmed it when my car was new and I was excited; a year later, I know its in the glove box and thats good enough. Seems like more wasteful printing/mailing. The only reason I liked receiving them before, is because they used to come in nifty travel folders that you can use again. Other than that, it's pretty typical stuff...and seriously, it's probably easier to gather the family around the computer screen to choose your adventures rather than crowding around a small brochure.

I am assuming you haven't cruised for awhile as almost all lines are doing the same thing. Sometimes you do get a booklet as well, but what you have is probably all you are going to get. If you are not happy with the luggage tags you can get better ones at the pier.

NIta

Strange, I've cruised twice in 2009 and both time I got a mailed packet with tags etc. i've never used e-tickets on a cruise.(9 cruises)

Personally, for the money, if they only sent me e-tickets I would not choose that cruiseline again.

Sorry, but I'm rather inexperienced at doing the e-ticket thing. Do we print our own ticket/boarding passes at home the day we leave for the airport? Then, on the day we return home, we find a kiosk in the airport to do the same thing for the return flight? That seems to be what I remember doing several years ago. Should there be anything different I should be doing? Thanks. I'm trying my best to get ready and be ready for our Saturday afternoon flight. I'm getting nervous, I think, and that's not helping anything. Does anyone have some words of calming influence so I don't have to turn to the medicines that will try to do the same kind of things.? If you do, I would appreciate hearing a few of those words. WE leave Saturday, flying to Miami for a cruise on the Dawn. Don't want any earthquakes, tidal waves, rogue waves, or tsunamis AND we don't want any plane that has to land in a river because birds found their way into where they shouldn't be. Thanks for reading this and please send any calming advise. It will be much appreciated. Debbie

As long as you registered properly online, and remember to bring your passports, you will be fine. Everything else can be taken care of at the check-in. It is a pretty user friendly process.

Although I have not received one yet for my March 28 Jewel cruise, NCL does usually send, by regular mail, an excursion packet, which also contains the luggage tags. Someone we are sailing with got his, but we didn't get ours. I am not worried about it though.

The luggage tags for NCL are lousy. I always print them online, but use packaging tape to essentially laminate them, then tape the on to the baggage handles.

Don't worry about the pre cruise nervousness. It all works out, and you will be in paradise soon.

Unlike last year, the e-docs don't print out all of the contract terms and conditions. They have been moved to the "step 1" phase. If you want to print them out, go back to the step one button and you will come to a place where you can print them out.

You will also receive a "Welcome Aboard" booklet in the mail with other information. However, the edocs (actually, only the ticket page) is all that you NEED to get on the ship.

Please don't count on getting a welcome packet in the mail - at least from OUR experience. This will be our 6th cruise with NCL (all booked through TA's but a couple different ones) and we have NEVER received any welcome packet in the mail from NCL - and we have SPECIFICALLY ASKED for them to be sent SEVERAL times. Our TAs SAY they requested them for us! :confused: The good news is that the porters ALWAYS have luggage tags available at the pier and our bags have always made it safely to our cabin!

I don't know which other lines you've been on, but I think you might find that they have now also gone to e-Docs.

Besides my booked NCL cruise I also have a booked HAL cruise so I hang out on that board as well and paper luggage tags and e-docs is also a complaint there since documents used to be mailed, including a nice fabric container to keep them him.

The first e-docs we ever got were from NCL and that was several years ago so this isn't a new thing. But it's the wave of the future. Most of the lines now have their 'welcome aboard' info online and no longer mail.

Please don't count on getting a welcome packet in the mail - at least from OUR experience. This will be our 6th cruise with NCL (all booked through TA's but a couple different ones) and we have NEVER received any welcome packet in the mail from NCL - and we have SPECIFICALLY ASKED for them to be sent SEVERAL times. Our TAs SAY they requested them for us! :confused: The good news is that the porters ALWAYS have luggage tags available at the pier and our bags have always made it safely to our cabin!

I think you need a new TA. We've had the welcome packet in the mail for every cruise we've taken.

Unlike last year, the e-docs don't print out all of the contract terms and conditions. ....

Not sure why anyone would want to print out all that stuff. I can sum up the entire Terms and Conditions.

"We, NCL will attempt to provide you a cabin and transport you to ___ and back. We expect to have some food available. Both the transport, room and food accommodations are subject to change or even cancellation. Don't like it, don't book with us."

Not sure why anyone would want to print out all that stuff. I can sum up the entire Terms and Conditions.

"We, NCL will attempt to provide you a cabin and transport you to ___ and back. We expect to have some food available. Both the transport, room and food accommodations are subject to change or even cancellation. Don't like it, don't book with us."

But then what would the lawyers do:confused:;):D?

Archived