E-docs...is that all we get???

Jenbo57

Times have changed with cruise lines in that in years gone bye you indeed did recieve a lot more information about your cruise; but I've been on four different cruise lines in the past 5 years and pretty much everything comes as you descibe recieving yours through the internet. Just the way it is, and each cruise line does nice jobs with thier web pages to give you any information you might be looking for.

Have a great time on your cruise!! :-)

I beg to differ with you! On my last cruise, 1 1/2 years ago, I sailed with Celebrity. I booked my cruise myself with the cruise line. I can't remember if they asked if I wanted e-docks or have them sent to me. I had mine mailed and there was quite a bit of info including tickets, colored luggage tags, and other info about the cruise, along with a plastic case to carry them in.

On every cruise that I have been on, I had colored luggage tags, which helps the cruise line determine which deck to send the bags. How does NCL handle their luggage tags? I only have a black & white printer. Do they do it with bar codeing?

I beg to differ with you! On my last cruise, 1 1/2 years ago, I sailed with Celebrity. I booked my cruise myself with the cruise line. I can't remember if they asked if I wanted e-docks or have them sent to me. I had mine mailed and there was quite a bit of info including tickets, colored luggage tags, and other info about the cruise, along with a plastic case to carry them in.

On every cruise that I have been on, I had colored luggage tags, which helps the cruise line determine which deck to send the bags. How does NCL handle their luggage tags? I only have a black & white printer. Do they do it with bar codeing?

Your information, based on a cruise from 1 1/2 years ago, is out of date. Effective in late 2009, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara adopted the edoc format as their default cruise document. Now if you want the printed documents on RCI or Celebrity you will be charged $25. Azamara will still let you choose the printed document format at no additional charge, but you must request it. Here's the announcement:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000JD1TVZpUaOqQrP29VChEHeo:12h3rnd1c?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2009-11-11&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=B

Back to the airline boarding passes:

Delta is working with the TSA on electronic boarding passes viewed and scanned right on your Blackberry or Iphone. You still need to get a luggage tag at the airport check in, but no more printing passes at all - they just scan your phone at security and boarding the plane. The only real catch is that each passenger must have their own device.

We booked our upcoming cruise on the Jewel with Expedia and received our welcome aboard booklet, an onboard coupon book as well as our colored luggage tags in the mail about 6 weeks before or cruise which is March 28th. If you request regular luggage tags instead of the ones you get online with your e-docs they will send them. The E-docs we just printed on line at the NCL website. I hate the flimsy luggage tags you can print. Card stock paper would make them a little stronger, but they still would not be color coded.

We cruised for our first time last October and we recieved a Welcome aboard booklet in the mail shortly after final payment was made. It had some useful information and some preprinted luggage tags in the middle of the booklet. I think I read a post a couple weeks ago about someone had just recieved theirs in the mail. If you booked directly through NCL they will mail it to you, if you booked though a TA they mail them to the TA.

Our cruise is March 29th and we received this about two weeks ago. I was very happy to receive the pre-printed luggage tags.

My TA asked NCL to mail my stuff directly to me, and they did. I think the TA also has the option to say electronic only, and then a packet never comes in the mail.

I had received the email like the OP quite a long time before I received my info in the mail. I too had problems with the luggage tags not printing properly.

Your information, based on a cruise from 1 1/2 years ago, is out of date. Effective in late 2009, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara adopted the edoc format as their default cruise document. Now if you want the printed documents on RCI or Celebrity you will be charged $25. Azamara will still let you choose the printed document format at no additional charge, but you must request it. Here's the announcement:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000JD1TVZpUaOqQrP29VChEHeo:12h3rnd1c?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2009-11-11&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=B

By the way, I should have said the charge is $35.

Not to sound like a whiner but let me be clear that I don't like this. The "document dance" has long been a tradition in cruising. Just do a search on this board and you'll see what I mean.

On all 9 cruises I've been on I have received a nice packet prior to cruising, and this packet has always made its way into scraps books etc. In fact I still have the jacket from the docs for every cruise I've been on. (HAL was the best by far, a faux leather binder.)

At the risk of being petty I have just decided that I will not sail on a line that charges me extra for this important and to me valuable pice of the cruise experience.

So long RCCL, I enjoyed both my cruises with you.

Just received our email this morning, our documents have been mailed......I will start planning my document dance now, and avoid the rush later. :D We didn't book directly with NCL....

Dear Guest,

Congratulations, you’re about to embark on a unique cruise experience with Norwegian Cruise Line. It’s all thanks to our exclusive Freestyle Cruising®, where you’re free to whatever. Your Welcome Aboard Kit has been mailed and should be arriving soon. This kit contains your luggage tags and useful information including helpful tips on travel arrangements, what you should pack, what’s on board and a directory of the ship.

Also included in the kit are samples of our most popular Shore Excursions for your itinerary. NCL’s Shore Excursions are the best way for you to see the ports we visit. Our land tours sell out fast, so book your Shore Excursions online (up to 5 days prior to their sailing date) at ncl.com/shorex to reserve your spot.

We’re looking forward to welcoming you on board and we encourage you to complete the Online Check-In at ncl.com, for smooth sailing at the port. If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Professional or call NCL at 1.800.327.7030.

Again, thanks for choosing to cruise with NCL.

By the way, I should have said the charge is $35.

If you read all the way down to the bottom, you will notice that luggage tags can be requested from the web site and they will be mailed to you at no charge. To me, the luggage tags is more important that the docs since those have been getting less and less useful over the years.

If you read all the way down to the bottom, you will notice that luggage tags can be requested from the web site and they will be mailed to you at no charge. To me, the luggage tags is more important that the docs since those have been getting less and less useful over the years.

Yes, but the fact that they have to be requested by the passenger and are not automatically provided likely means most passengers will never receive them because they won't know to ask for them.

Not to sound like a whiner but let me be clear that I don't like this. The "document dance" has long been a tradition in cruising. Just do a search on this board and you'll see what I mean.

On all 9 cruises I've been on I have received a nice packet prior to cruising, and this packet has always made its way into scraps books etc. In fact I still have the jacket from the docs for every cruise I've been on. (HAL was the best by far, a faux leather binder.)

At the risk of being petty I have just decided that I will not sail on a line that charges me extra for this important and to me valuable pice of the cruise experience.

So long RCCL, I enjoyed both my cruises with you.

and many of us loved having a airline ticket in our hand...Tech has changed, we need to as well.

Nita

and many of us loved having a airline ticket in our hand...Tech has changed, we need to as well.

Nita

One can not compare an airline ticket to a package of documents from a cruiseline. I love e-tickets when flying and enjoy printing out my boarding pass at home.

But I also enjoy poring through a fat stack of documents from a cruise line.

When we called NCL a week or so ago with a few questions concerning our 5/29/10 cruise on POA and at that time we asked about the welcome packet and they told us that it should arrive 45 days before your cruise and if you don't receive it by then to call.

One can not compare an airline ticket to a package of documents from a cruiseline. I love e-tickets when flying and enjoy printing out my boarding pass at home.

But I also enjoy poring through a fat stack of documents from a cruise line.

I am not saying we don't enjoy them, I am just saying things do change and this is one thing that is changing..Actually you still get a packet but the docs themselves can be printed on line. I will add, you don't even need to print them as long as you pre-register and print your registration out..As for E tickets, you have no idea how many people went balistic when the airlines started e tickets. Now when we fly we don't get anything, we just print our itinerary, go to the airport, swipe our passport or cc and that is it..

Nita

Cruise Docs would generally refer to actual ticket, contract, etc

Welcome packet is the stuff about the ship, excursions, etc

Luggage Tags - if via email, not colored of course. If you do get somethingin the mail, they do have colors I think.

If you get them on the pier - they are all the same color

question.. what about cruisers who dont have email?? LIke my grandparent per se.. they HATE computers,, how would they get their docs??? maybe if we stop giving out the email and say we dont have one we can get paper ones instead??? :)

I'm sure if you don't have a computer like your grandparents they would have to send you the paper docs. Personally I prefer them, but no longer get them.

All I get now are e-docs. One advantage of e-docs is that they send them to you immediately after they receive final payment. I received a welcome aboard booklet, a coupon book as well as bright orange luggage tags through the mail.I used to look forward to receiving all my documents in the mail. Sometimes I even had to go to the post office to pick them up as well as sign for them. They came in a nice little packet with all the needed information.I even saved a couple of them as "souveniers " from our previous cruises.

Just received our luggage tags in the mail, included in the welcome aboard booklet.

We have an inside cabin booked, and noticed our luggage tags (red) say PRIORITY on them. Is this part of the platinum latitude perks.....or do they all say PRIORITY now?

Just received our luggage tags in the mail, included in the welcome aboard booklet.

We have an inside cabin booked, and noticed our luggage tags (red) say PRIORITY on them. Is this part of the platinum latitude perks.....or do they all say PRIORITY now?

We're Platinum Latitudes, and the luggage tags for our 2/20 cruise didn't say "priority".

What more would you like? The Ts and Cs are also there for you to print. Is there some information you are missing?

Al

I think it would be nice if NCL sent a marhing band to my house with someone to announce loudly "You're going on cruise"! They could bring the docs and luggage tags with them. :D

I think it would be nice if NCL sent a marhing band to my house with someone to announce loudly "You're going on cruise"! They could bring the docs and luggage tags with them. :D

ROTFL (again)---well, that would make it special

Archived