Celebrity vs NCL, which of these cruises would you pick?

vegasbb

First, let me thank anyone in advance who reads this entire post and offers to help! I'm having such a hard time deciding and really appreciate the insight of others.This is a cross post also on the NCL boards.

My husband and I are in our late 20's/early 30's. We've been on 15 cruises before. We've cruised Regents (our favorite, but not in the budget this time around), Carnival, RCI, and NCL. My issues with NCL have been food quality and service related, but no need to get into that here. I don't mind paying extra for specialty restaurants and I do like how many options NCL gives you. We have never sailed on Celebrity .

We are taking a cruise for our 1st anniversary, and have narrowed it down to three options:

Celebrity Solstice with this itinerary:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, George Town, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Mexico, Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico, Roatan, Honduras, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

NCL Pearl with this:

Miami; Roatan; Belize City; Costa Maya; Key West

or NCL Pearl with this:

Miami; Samana; St. Thomas; Tortola; Great Stirrup Cay

I know, so many ports to think about! We've done west before but never east. Our favorite cruise port in the world is Costa Maya because we adore non-crowded local little beach towns. Out of this trip we're looking for lots of beach time. We might do one scuba dive (we are certified), but otherwise lots of beaches.

As for a cruise - we're looking for good food, we don't mind paying upcharges. I also love laying out on beach chairs by the pool on the deck - any insight as to how crowded either of these ships get by the pool? Impossible to get a chair?

So if costs were equal (they are! , actually celebrity is a bit cheaper), which would you choose and why ?

Others can blast away at my if you so desire, but after my experiences on NCL, I would not take a cruise with them again if it were free. Sorry, but that is a line that's not my cup of tea. For me, and I think for many others, food and service are integral parts of the cruise experience, and NCL, imho, fails in those departments.

But, since you say that those issues don't matter to you and, to be honest, two of the itineraries are basically in the same area, I guess it really doesn't matter---just pick what feels the best for you and go for it.

Darcie - thanks for the quick response. We do care about food. Which cruise lines have you sailed and do you think the food on Celebrity is significantly better in the MDR compared to the "budget" lines? Particularly on the Solstice?

:o vegasbb

DH and myself have cruised 2x with NCL, 3x with Celebrity, 3x with RCL and 1x with Carnival. Our choice is Celebrity. With that being said we choose the line with the best deal at the time and the ports we want. Looking at your choices I would have to go with Celebrity Solstice because of the ports. The truth is any cruise day is better than a work day. Happy choosing.

We have sailed both the Pearl and the Solstice, and hands down we would choose Solstice. It's truly like comparing apples and oranges. The Pearl was our last cruise with NCL, since my DH won't go back.The service and food on Celebrity is much better. :)

I haven't been on NCL but I have been on the Solstice. The ship itself is great, new, beautifully done. The service on the ship was excellent.

The food in the MDR is beautifully presented but was good not great, IMO. The desserts are beautiful but for the most part are tasteless.

It was very hard to get a deck chair anywhere on the ship after 930 on a sea day.

In doing research to help choose between Celebrity and NCL for a cruise to Bemuda next summer I saw more poor reviews of the food on NCL then on Celebrity.

Ron

Have you considered an Aquaclass cabin on the Celebrity Solstice? The assigned dining room is "Blu", and we have found the food and service to be excellent. If the difference in price isn't too great, we would always sail Aquaclass on a S-class ship.

802423687_WwwEo-L.jpg

If you are looking for something somewhat similar to Regent Seven Seas then Solstice is a better fit.

If you haven't done an Eastern Caribbean cruise the Solstice is a perfect fit for this cruise.

I have sailed NCL five times in the last three years and have had a great time and overall the food has been excellent and I am very picky about preparation, presentation and taste when it comes to food. Most of the alternative restaurants on NCL deliver. However, the Tex/Mex restaurants fall short and the MDR is hit and miss. I have eaten most of my meals in Le Bistro, Cagney's and the Chinese and Sushi restaurants.

Go for Solstice. Not because it's better but because it is a better fit.

Take care,

Mike

Others can blast away at my if you so desire, but after my experiences on NCL, I would not take a cruise with them again if it were free. Sorry, but that is a line that's not my cup of tea. For me, and I think for many others, food and service are integral parts of the cruise experience, and NCL, imho, fails in those departments.

The only part of that I can't agree with is the "free cruise". I could "suffer" through NCL if it were a free cruise. :D:D

For my money, Celebrity wins the "food fight" hands down, along with service. On the "S" class ships there are other dining venues (not as many as NCL's vast array, but certainly enough for a 7 night cruise). But food is so terribly subjective, so that has to be your call.

Itineraries. Not to make things difficult for you, why don't you throw in a Celebrity "S" class Eastern to the mix. . . . . . especially if it includes Labadee. Without the dates you are thinking about, can't tell you exactly what ship(s) will be doing that in the Celebrity fleet.

Now an item you need to consider is your age. You and the hubby are younger than most on Celebrity. So depending on your wants and needs, you could find yourself "bored" on Celebrity. Personally, I don't think this would be the case and personally don't think it is that much different on NCL, but you still need to consider it.

As to diving, I have heard that diving is better on W. Caribbean itineraries, but that is only hearsay.

Will it be crowded laying by the pool on deck. Yes it will be, especially on sea days, on both NCL and Celebrity, and RCI, HAL, Costa, etc., etc. If it is sunny, IT WILL BE CROWDED.

What time frame are you considering for your cruise?

You asked the question, "If costs were equal, which would you choose". Having sailed both numerous times, I would not hesitate to say Celebrity.

I would defiitely choose Celebrity's Solstice. We have cruised with NCL, but not for a long time. We have been on the Solstice three times. It is a beautiful ship and the service is excellent. The staff is well-trained and genuinely friendly. The food in the specialty dining rooms is excellent; in the MDR it is good to very good.

Celebrity is our cruise line of choice.

Hope this helps.

As someone else said, you will have a good time no matter what.

Guest maddycat
Others can blast away at me if you so desire, but after my experiences on NCL, I would not take a cruise with them again if it were free. Sorry, but that is a line that's not my cup of tea. For me, and I think for many others, food and service are integral parts of the cruise experience, and NCL, imho, fails in those departments.

Wow. I couldn't agree more.

I can definitely say without a doubt the Celebrity folks are infinitely more helpful than the folks on the NCL board - but I think it might be because many Celebrity cruisers have done NCL before but not many NCL cruisers have tried Celebrity?

We were interested in the Celebrity Eastern route, but were turned off by the 3 sea days. We're really into beaches so we liked how the Celebrity Western route had 4 land days and 2 sea days.

We're traveling in October if that makes a difference. I was so shocked to find the balcony on Celebrity was cheaper than NCL - it really does seem like a better value!

If we aren't cruising until October, do you recommend booking now or holding off and hoping for a price break in the future?

Have you considered an Aquaclass cabin on the Celebrity Solstice? The assigned dining room is "Blu", and we have found the food and service to be excellent. If the difference in price isn't too great, we would always sail Aquaclass on a S-class ship.

802423687_WwwEo-L.jpg

I agree wholeheartedly! :)

I cannot speak to NCL, but I recently took a first-time cruise on the Celebrity Equinox, and it far exceeded expectations. Just fantastic. The ship was beautiful. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was delicious. The design was inspired. It was five-star all the way. Really great value for the money. I am sold on Celebrity for sure.

I can definitely say without a doubt the Celebrity folks are infinitely more helpful than the folks on the NCL board - but I think it might be because many Celebrity cruisers have done NCL before but not many NCL cruisers have tried Celebrity?

We were interested in the Celebrity Eastern route, but were turned off by the 3 sea days. We're really into beaches so we liked how the Celebrity Western route had 4 land days and 2 sea days.

We're traveling in October if that makes a difference. I was so shocked to find the balcony on Celebrity was cheaper than NCL - it really does seem like a better value!

If we aren't cruising until October, do you recommend booking now or holding off and hoping for a price break in the future?

Book now. Others will have to explain better what I am going to. But if prices do come down, you MAY get a price reduction on the cabin you booked, a chance to book a higher category with no increase in price, or a cabin credit ($$ to spend on the ship). No guarantee, but it does happen.

My feeling about prices is that this may be the year they go up. RCI has already said they would sail the Oasis with empty cabins before the lower prices. Carnival just announced an across the board increase. I may be reading things wrong, but . . . .

Not knowing what the "guarantee" price is, the lowest quoted veranda is $799 p/p, the Aqua class is $1049. In MY opinion, that is not worth the extra bucks. But, it certainly may be to some folks. :p

After a bunch of NCL cruises and then a bunch on Celebrity, IMHO, there is no contest. From booking through coming home Celebrity wins hands down!!

Now your time frame is a little dicey. Isn't it hurricane season in the Caribbean in Oct????

I've really enjoyed reading all the responses - thanks to everyone that has responded so far. I'm willing to take the risk on the October Hurricane thing because a) our anniversary is in October, but more importantly b) I've had my worst weather luck on Caribbean cruises in Dec-Jan-Feb. Maybe it's just my rotten luck but we had a cruise in January where it rained everyday for 7 days straight! So miserable! We do prefer the off peak times because there's usually less kids, and prices are lower, plus some of the ports don't seem as crowded.

I think I've already sold myself that the balcony is worth going from the $599 interior to the $799 veranda. The question is - how great are these "bump out" balconies? Would you pay $100 more for one? Also, do any of the balconies get any sun or is this just a crazy dream of mine. I'm guessing because they are covered that would be impossible but I figured I'd ask.

Lastly, the Concierge level rooms would cost us $300 more ($150 more each). Are the perks worth it or is it silly to pay $300 more for an identical room that has a few "small" perks? Are the evening canapes really special?

Hi, there...

I have sailed on NCL twice...the 2nd time was giving them another chance, which they failed miserably. The food is horrible and the service is worse. Consistantly =X= has had the best food (comparable to Regent) and best service. Like another poster, I would not take an NCL cruise even if it was free. My time and my vacation time are precious to me, and I don't like a bad meal or a rude attendant messing it up for me. I don't sail the large mega ships. I like ones under 1800 pax...more intimate and friendly because I cruise solo. I think what you said about the NCL board not being helpful is exactly because many NCL cruisers have never been on another line...they have nothing to compare it to. Like you, I enjoyed Regent and some other pricey lines, but I find =X= to be more friendly and a better spread of age groups. Also my budget means I can sail twice on =X= for the price of one Regent cruise. One thing is good to know.....after you've turned Elite status on =X= (and it doesn't take long), you receive special perks. My last cruise I turned Elite and man, was that fun. You get, for free, an Elite lounge from 8am-10am with fruits and pastries, and speciality coffees and morning drinks like Mimosas and Bloody Marys. In the afternoon, from 4pm to 6pm is happy hour for Elites. Have the drinks of your choice with no limit, plus canopes (sp?), hot and cold and some wonderful other cruisers to chat with. Elites also get 90 minutes of free internet time, 2 free items dry cleaned, and 30 pieces of laundry washed and folded, free. For me, it has come to the point that I'm only considering =X= and Azamara from now on. The =X= ships I prefer are the Mercury and the Century. The service is amazing! Coe back to CC, and let us know how much you liked =X=. Good luck!

Now an item you need to consider is your age. You and the hubby are younger than most on Celebrity. So depending on your wants and needs, you could find yourself "bored" on Celebrity. Personally, I don't think this would be the case and personally don't think it is that much different on NCL, but you still need to consider it.

This is a good advice... Our last cruise on Millenium was dissappointing in what regards to entertainment and ambiance due to the high average age of the passengers. It was just boring...

If you want objective answers to your question, the best place to post it is on the Ask a Cruise Question Board.

But, she posted here BM. And, over on the NCL board. She is intelligent enough to determine which is objective and which is not.

BTW, over on the Ask a Cruise Question board, she would be getting answers from NCL and Celebrity folks. We do visit there too.

Archived