Special Touches that Make a HAL cruise for you

bulgargirl

OMG, you have no idea how awful this past year has been and to think that in one month we'll be on board the Noordam, well, I'm escaping right this very minute! We've been on the Zaandam and the Maasdam, but the last HAL cruise was 6 years ago. Since then we've been on RCI, CCl and Carnival and none were as elegant and luxurious as HAL.

The cabins on HAL are so much better, esp. the bathrooms. You all are making my mouth water, can't wait to try the baked brie. I need to go on a diet now!

I remember the first time I went on another cruise line and saw paper towels in a public bathroom and thought, wow, I'm not on HAL anymore. It's the little things that add up to make a memorable cruise, and HAL does it right. Can't wait to see for myself again.

The Crew!!--On our first HAL cruise, our cabin steward heard us talking about the bowl of fruit in our cabin and how much we liked green apples. From then on, our fruit bowl was filled with green apples! Another time when my friend was a bit seasick, she went down to the cabin & fell asleep on the couch. A short time later I went down to check on her & he came to the door & brought her some tea & green apple slices. How thoughtful!

Have to agree with everything that's been said, however I would add the delightful fellow passengers :) we have met. Especially on our first HAL cruise on the Maasdam, we will never forget Nancy and Howard they were 20 years older than us and regaled us in some very amusing and historical stories.:D

"... the Eggs Benedict choices (I have never seen Eggs Benedict offered with so many choices -- about 6 or 8 ways to make them, substituting the back bacon with crab, smoked salmon, spinach, mushrooms, sigh.... ), ..."

I've eaten roughly 81 breakfasts on HAL and had no idea these were available except as occasional specials. Can one order most or all of them whenever one wishes?

The choices are available in the Lido every day that I've been in the Lido. And if you are very very pleasant to the dining room steward (and are the last person to order at your table :) ) , there's a great chance of success in getting a "special" one in the MDR. At least that has been my experience, though we seldom use the MDR for breakfast. They do the different ones for room service, too.

Ok I am really enjoying this thread. It is really helping to confirm that I made the right decision to go with HAL instead of NCL when we go to Alaska next year for our 10th anniversary. We are nervous since we are both in out 30's and we have heard that clientel are much older, but in some ways that might be refreshing. However, I do have a few questions. What are thermal suites and hot water loungers and Retreat Cabana and who has access to them? Thanks again everyone, now I just have to wait to book since they don't yet have prices out for next year!

Just want to say thanks for all the great comments about sailing with the Holland Line,

This will be our first ever cruise and first visit to Alaska , and it sounds like we are going to have a wonderful time ,can hardly wait roll on August

So many lovely things to see and do and eat.....:D:D:D

Retreat Cabana hands down!

Rusty, one time years ago my Dad while in a tavern somewhere in Ontario ordered an ale. The barman, thinking Dad had ordered a nail, brought him scotch laced with Drambuie. Dad, who (to say the least!) never hesitated to speak his mind, meekly accepted the Rusty Nail.

In San Juan, PR, we came back aboard the Westerdam and were greeted by crew who handed out rolled wash clothes that were dampened with ice water as we reboarded. We were docked next to a Carnival ship (I believe the Truimph) who offered no such thing.

In San Juan, PR, we came back aboard the Westerdam and were greeted by crew who handed out rolled wash clothes that were dampened with ice water as we reboarded. We were docked next to a Carnival ship (I believe the Truimph) who offered no such thing.

I encountered this as well as ice cold bottled water (free ;)) in St. Thomas. Boy, it sure felt good to clean up a bit and rehydrate after walking around for hours on a very hot and humid day. Very nice touch.

Other things that come to mind but are certainly not limited to:

• The comfortable beds with soft linens, top sheets and a duvet.
  • Tub / shower combos with handheld massage-type shower heads in rooms that are not only in the upper crust rooms
  • Public bathrooms with wash cloths insead of paper towels.
  • The interesting art work throughout the ship.
  • The pool decks that do not have Hurricane Harbor-type attractions, e.g., windy slides, rock climbing walls, wave runners and zip lines. I don't want to feel like I'm in an amusement park complete with the constant screaming coming from those using the waterpark-inspired equipment.
  • Quiet neighbors and hallways. No crazed drunks loudly gigglling and talking while bouncing off walls trying to locate their cabin
  • The wraparound promenade deck where you can walk around the entire ship or rest on one of the comfortable wooden / padded loungers.
  • Extensive room service selections that can be expanded on by simply asking, e.g., eggs benedict for breakfast or evening meal fare from the main dining room selections.
  • No roudy pool games, e.g., hairy chest contests.
  • Fellow passengers who exhibit a sense of decorum.
  • Bringing my own champagne / wine onboard for consumption in my room for free.
  • And, although they were supposed to be eliminated from the list, the crew...what a great group of people who are constantly smiling and greeting you and willing to go the extra mile to make you happy while working inhuman hours every day.
  • Few and far between announcments.
  • Their fabulous itineraries

This list is anything but conclusive but are some of the things that make HAL cruises such a great enjoyment for me.

We just got off the Eurodam yesterday & if I can keep from crying on the keyboard I'll try & name a few.

There was just so many. Fresh flowers everywhere, Yum Yum man, the movie from the theatre on tv the next day, the coffee cart coming around with juice, coffee & anything you wanted in the Lido at breakfast, the chocolate covered strawberries & champagne in the Cabanas. The lack of boring announcements & loud obnoxious music everywhere. The strings in the lounge. The service & did I say the service!!!

DH and I will be going on our first HAL cruise in August. I was so happy to find this thread, thanks OP! So much to look forward to, HAL sounds like the perfect cruise line! And while I do have to agree that all those nice touches enhance the experience, it is hands down, the staff that can make or break your cruise.

Ok I am really enjoying this thread. It is really helping to confirm that I made the right decision to go with HAL instead of NCL when we go to Alaska next year for our 10th anniversary. We are nervous since we are both in out 30's and we have heard that clientel are much older, but in some ways that might be refreshing. However, I do have a few questions. What are thermal suites and hot water loungers and Retreat Cabana and who has access to them? Thanks again everyone, now I just have to wait to book since they don't yet have prices out for next year!

Retreat cabanas (I have gathered from another thread) are cabanas that you can rent by the pool. If the cruise is shorter than a week, you must rent onboard. If the cruise is a week or longer you can reserve/rent yours ahead of time, but I think you must reserve it for the whole week.

They sound quite nice. If you've been to some of the nicer resorts in South Beach or a place like that, it's similar to the cabanas that you can rent around the pool there. A nice shaded little tent thing with lounge chairs and people waiting on you.

I have heard it said by experienced travelers that a cruise on a good HAL ship was like being a guest in a very fine club or an elegant, well-staffed home, as opposed to just a good first class hotel.

All of the special things mentioned in this thread make it that way.

For us, HAL has managed to create an atmosphere of comfortable privilege without going over the top to the point of ostentatiousness.

My wife and I will be on our first HAL cruise on 3/13/10 (Oosterdam, to MX Riviera), and reading this thread has reinforced our decision that we are on the right line! We cover the 45-50 age demographic, and are looking for the classic sophistication described here. Can't wait to board and experience for ourselves! :)

The elevator carpets with the day of the week always make me smile:)

The room service menu with real food to choose from, not just pastries and cereal

The choices of activities including the computer classes

The library, with a real librarian that's open nearly all day

The art tour iPod that's free

The yummy ice cream that is also available most of the day, for free

The strings in the evening, at dinner, at tea...

Entertainment in the show lounge that isn't ever vulgar

Standard cabins (at least on the older ships) that have a couch to sit on instead of twisting around sitting on the bed

Fresh fruit of your choice in the cabins

No pushy, hard-core sales pitch, not for drinks, for shore excursions, for photos, not even in the spa

The congenial size of the ships

The excellent food,and the best steaks at sea

The chilled soups, every night

The always available dinner menu to rely on

Always having towels at the pool

Candied ginger and mints to carry off from the MDR:)

The most amazing service beyond anything I could have imagined when we took the 18 hour Copper Canyon train excursion in Mexico: They sent housekeeping crews with us to sanitize the buses, train, and luncheon dining room; the officers were lined up on the pier to greet us when we returned at 11pm, with hot towels; the crew specially prepared for us a hot breakfast ready at 3am for our 4am departure, and late night prime rib dinner laid out in Lido for us after our return. Amazing:):)

Oh! Plus everything that's been mentioned......ahhhhhhhhh

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's contributed to this thread. For some reason, I haven't been as excited about my upcoming HAL cruise as I usually am before cruising. Reading about all of these little touches to look forward to has really upped the excitement factor. I hope we end up enjoying HAL as much as all of you do, it seems like a special line. :)

"... the Eggs Benedict choices (I have never seen Eggs Benedict offered with so many choices -- about 6 or 8 ways to make them, substituting the back bacon with crab, smoked salmon, spinach, mushrooms, sigh.... ), ..."

I've eaten roughly 81 breakfasts on HAL and had no idea these were available except as occasional specials. Can one order most or all of them whenever one wishes?

Unfortunately only at Breakfast... BUT... YOU CAN stand in the lines to get the ones you wish, as many as you wish. Poor hubby hates it when I want Eggs Benedict for/with breakfast in the Lido, because I can never eat just one, I want 3 or more:D (Cholesterol be da**ed!! They are just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!

I never thought about ordering as many varieties with Room Service until I read this thread.... WOW, the poor Room Service steward is gonna have to bring us 2 HUGE trays from now on for breakfast!!

Joanie.

We just got back from our first HAL cruise and I second everything that's been said - plus:

Photographers who take "no, thanks" for an answer.

Crew members who don't mind when you want to take a picture of Henry the vacuum cleaner.

The raisin buns in the Lido for breakfast - I'm now addicted to them. Fortunately the recipe is in the cookbook.

Archived