Guests in your cabin: Etiquette question

Let's say you have a nice large balcony, and invite some friends to enjoy the sunset or whatever with you. And let's say you all want to have a few drinks out on the balcony.

First of all, can you have a bunch of drinks delivered to your cabin? And if so, how? (Assume for the sake of discussion that you do not have a butler.)

Secondly, is it tacky to host a pay-for-your-own-whatever party on your balcony, or are you expected to pick up the tab for their drinks while they're "in your home"?

We've had a number of socials in our SR. We usually had wine that we provided. Our steward brought extra buckets and iced it all down. One time we had a waiter come to the room to take orders. We also called for refills and they showed up quickly (gave a nice tip and the same guy was right there!).

As to paying? Since we'd invite 1-3 other couples and it wasn't 1/2 the ship, we'd pay the bill.

Denny

maybe its different in new jersy but

when we have friends to our home for dinner/drinks we dont ask them to pay for either

same thing ona boat

if we invite folks to our suite for a drink we dont ask them to pay

hava great cruise

Thank you for your responses, everyone.

maybe its different in new jersy but

It has nothing to do with NJ. When I'm home and host a party, of course I don't ask my guests to pay. I didn't know if it was different on board ship, which is why I asked.

I guess if you host a party you just have to have deep enough pockets, and/or hope that your guests won't drink more than you're expecting.

Follow-up question: If you are a guest at a party on board, and you had purchased a drink package, would you "pay" for your drink with that, so your host doesn't have to?

It has nothing to do with NJ. When I'm home and host a party, of course I don't ask my guests to pay. I didn't know if it was different on board ship, which is why I asked.

I guess if you host a party you just have to have deep enough pockets, and/or hope that your guests won't drink more than you're expecting.

Follow-up question: If you are a guest at a party on board, and you had purchased a drink package, would you "pay" for your drink with that, so your host doesn't have to?

Hi

on a recent trip we were invited to a balcony party ,

the hosts told us to bring what we drank,

no problem, we took a bottle wine and a bucket of beer,

great sailaway, don't worry about asking folk to bring their own drink,

I would not expect a new sailing friend to pick up the tab for my 3or 4 beers at sailaway.

You sound like great people maybe we will sail oneday.

have agreat cruise.

This is what I would also do. If it were the other way around I would be BYOB myself anyway.

Jenn

Hi

I would not expect a new sailing friend to pick up the tab for my 3or 4 beers at sailaway.

have agreat cruise.

You're from New Jersey (me too). Just call it a BYOB. Then you can call room service to bring some apps.

If you have "the big balcony" and will be hosting everyone out there to chit-chat, I wouldn't think they would want you to pay for everything all of the time. You buy the first round, and I would think someone would offer to buy the second.

We have been to lots of sailaway parties on balconies, parties that were on sea days, and have hosted them as well. We provide the wine; our room stewards have always provided fantastic service and been so helpful in chilling the wine, providing the glasses and cheese trays and crackers, and then in cleaning up afterward. (We also make sure that the glasses and so on are back in one spot, garbage in the can, etc.) Lots of times our friends will bring a bottle of wine with them, and we will do the same when going to another cabin. We say upfront that we will have wine, not liquor, and so if any one wants to bring that, they are more than welcome to do so. I guess if I had a drink package I would probably bring a drink with me, just to make it easier for everyone. It is so much fun to relax, chat, enjoy the ocean view and the warm tropical air... hope you have a great time!

Had a guest hand their card over to the waiter at our party - appreciated that.

Concur with other option of asking them to bring a drink, done a lot. But we only invlited a few couples, usually before dinner and so we weren't looking at a big drinking-type occasion so we'd flip the bill. But if it was going to be a evening social time with extended repeating drinks, I'd ask each to bring their drink, then call for a waiter who would take their order.

Just depends. I know you said you provided drinks at home, which is the 'norm' even outside NJ, but we don't pay bar prices at home either, or an expensive bottle at onboard prices. so I'd think this would be a different occasion and no one would think any different paying their way.

Denny

We've hosted and been invited, when we hosted the sailaway for about 12 people, they all just brought a bottle of wine. When we've been invited, we've always offered to bring wine/beer, whatever. Sometimes we've been told, yeah, bring what you want, and other's it's been no don't worry about it. When good friends are coming over to watch a sunset or share some appies, we know they'll be armed with booze :)

.....When good friends are coming over to watch a sunset or share some appies, we know they'll be armed with booze :)

That's why we ask our friends over, love to drink Their booze! I have a sign that says, "We Serve Only the Best of Wines --- Bring Any??" Love it.

This is a nice, informative thread. We throw a lot of parties at home and usually ask a few over while on cruise. One of the best ways to really get to know people. We have a few traveling friends that make it nice, but we love to meet new friends also.

This is a great way of doing it - and there are options that are acceptable of providing the drinks and going the BYOB.

But of course, if you invite me and have a waiter there to take our order And you are buying, you just know I'm going to order the special double Saphire Martini!!

Denny

This is a nice, informative thread.

:D

But of course, if you invite me and have a waiter there to take our order And you are buying, you just know I'm going to order the special double Saphire Martini!!

Denny

Note to self: Do not invite Denny unless it's BYOB! ;):p

:D

Note to self: Do not invite Denny unless it's BYOB! ;):p

Amateurs - he can't hold a candle to the Dragon Lady (a.k.a. Mrs. B's Mother). She wears combat boots and has a hollow leg when it comes to an open bar.;)

Hi

have agreat cruise.

Dam I knew I had it wrong......

Last time I invited everyone from the roll call to my room for a party.

I tipped my room attendent and he brought two trays of the snacks of the day.

I went up to the sushi bar and got four boats of different types and all the fixings.

I brought some other snacks in with me and some candy.

Room attendent brought extra champagne glasses and I borrowed some plastic glasses from the upstairs buffet area. Filled up one of the plastic buckets with ice.

Iced the two bottles of Champagne I had brought onto the ship and the one the ship provided in the room. Had some tonic water from the port shopping in Puerto Rico.

Had some cola from port shopping.

Got some juice and punch from the buffet area.

Had a bottle of Tangurie and Rum along with some beer I got in port.

Well everyone had a good time.

Maybe next time make the BYOB........;)

Editors Note: The second party we had on the last night was even better...... :)

We are doing this and ahead of time via the Celebrity site I ordered vodka to be ready when we get onboard the ship in our room. It comes with some mixers.

They have a standard list and high-end list of all types but it it not cheap.

I agree with most of the posters, you would not expect people to pay at your house why here?

For per drink prices you are better off buying it on the website and mixing it yourself vs. paying by the cocktail. Just tell everyone they are getting rum and coke or martini's or whatever (or if they dont like that they can BYOB).

We had a great verandah party where we served rum punch that we bought in St. Maarten and a bunch of appetisers from the room service menu. Although some people brought a drink from a lounge, we were happy to provide that along with vodka/orange juice from room service as well. I think if you have people over expect to be able to provide everything.

We are planning on having a small sail away party with the other couple that is travelling with us. They are in an inside cabin, while we have splurged for this trip and are in a C2 Balcony cabin. So naturally the get together will be in our room. My question is...what type of Appies can be ordered? I don;t see any on the room service menu (other than cheese and crackers) Is this something that has a seperate menu? Do I speak to my conceirge or call down to room service directly? How about extra glasses, bucket of ice etc....

Archived