Which Ship Has YOUR Favorite?

sail7seas

Last night, we were choosing which Noordam cruise we which to book and I got to thinking.....

Of all the HAL ships we have sailed, what is our favorite one thing from each ship? In our experience, each ship did one thing a little better than all the rest for the limited time we were aboard and wondered if others have something they think a particular ship does better than the rest of HAL ships they have sailed.

Among many other things, we think Maasdam has the best breakfast Room Service.

We have a great many other favorites but curious if you have any?

(Let's not make this about Crew as crew moves around ship to ship.)

This might sound a little odd, but for how strange some of the Zuiderdam's color schemes are during the daytime, I thought it was a beautiful ship at nightt - moreso than even the Oosterdam.

In fact, I still think it was the coziest 'night' environment of any ship I've been on - period. And I'd sail her again in an instant because of it.

I love all of the HAL ships, but the Prinsendam has my vote, at least it did before it's additions.

It felt cozy and very classic and holds a special place in my heart....:D

P.S. Noordam and Oosterdam run a close second/third

We love the Noordam so have been hesitant to try anything else...there's nothing I don't like about her!

We have, however, booked the Maasdam next winter because of the itinerary. I hope we enjoy her as much as we enjoy the Noordam!

We, too, of course, love everything about Noordam. HAL really did get her exactly right. She is a gorgeous Ship!!!!! I particularly love her Explorations Cafe as it is the best in the fleet IMO

We haven't sailed an HAl ship we don't like but Noordam and Maasdam are our definite favorites though Eurodam is pretty great.

Oh, darn......

Why did I start this stupid thread.

All the ships are beautiful, they all have wonderful crews, we have a great time on all of them.

Stupid thread. SORRY.

Oh sail7seas! This is not a stupid thread, it's one that makes it really hard to choose. I've sailed Maasdam, Zaandam, Westerdam, Noordam and getting ready to sail the Statendam. My personal favorite will always be Maasdam. However, the hydro pool spa on the Noordam gives the Maasdam a run for it's money. The Westerdam, sis of the Noordam was nice, but Noordam wins out. Zaandam, very nice. As long as I am on one of those "dam" ships I'm happy! Each seems to have it's own character and each is appreciated for the lovely, elegent ship's that they are.:D

The Amsterdam. We have spent 10 months on that ship to date -and will spend another 2 months on her in the Fall. Same room; 7052.....I remarked to Henk Menseick at dinner one night about the tour etc for the day "It was fun but I was glad to get home" and he smiled and said " I LIKE that -HOME"

Love the Maasdam over the Ryndam, Volendam and Zaandam and will soon get to try the Tamarind on the Eurodam which could also get to be my next favorite. But in reply to the question:

My favorite of all the HAL ships are those chairs in the Crow's nest that are in the very front of the windows...........only about 10 of them and not on any of the other HAL ships we have been on. We should probably keep those secret since they are in heavy demand to lull you to sleep in 5 minutes or less so don't tell anyone else !(?)

I'm going to pick a Class of ship. S Class, but mostly because we so love the Maasdam. I love the layout and the ease of getting from place to place. It's the one class of HAL ships where you won't find me wandering the halls wondering where I am. Wish I were sailing her right this minute!

I loved the library area on the Prinsendam - so cozy! Also, on the Prinsendam, the covered Lido area outside at the back was wonderful for lunches, and afternoon snacks. I thought the food on the Maasdam was some of the best I've had on HAL ships, very flavourful.

Sail,

This is a fine thread, despite your misgivings. For us, our favorite will always be Noordam III, for sentimental reasons: she was our first HAL ship, and I booked her specially (in an "A" class suite), for our 30th anniversary.

But, of the current ships, we also like Noordam IV best. We sailed Statendam, Maasdam, Veendam and both old and new Westerdams (on the Vista one once before refit and once after), as well as Eurodam.

Why Noordam IV? Others have mentioned her layout, with the Explorations Cafe on deck 3 -- it seems to us that with Noordam, HAL got the Vista right. We also noticed her color scheme and artwork, such as the karyatids outside the Explorers Lounge and the wooden Neptune in the Lido; many of her artworks came from Noordam III, so we felt somewhat "at home" the first time we boarded.

But, although you said not to mention the crew, you did not say don't talk about the captains. I think the fact that Noordam IV has only ever had Captains Scott and Mateboer since her commissioning is a big part of that as well. The two of them mesh, and, although it's somewhat difficult to describe, they set the tone of "a family" with their crew. Yes, the individual crew members rotate in and out, but the skippers set the tone, and there is something special about the tone of Noordam.

Dave

I totally agree with you, Dave. We LOVE the Noordam. We have sailed on her the last four February's and are sailing on the Maasdam next winter...strictly because of the itinerary. But we do love the Noordam.

I agree about Captains Mateobor and Scott...two fine gentlemen that set the tone. We sailed twice with each now.

My favorite ship was the Maasdam (been on Volendam, Zuiderdam and Eurodam too,,the Eurodam was only 4 weeks old). I really don't know why,,,,maybe it was because everytime the Capt spoke he called her "the beautiful and Elegant Maasdam". My favorite thing on all HAL ships is the Crow's nest.

Archived