April 2011 San Francisco voyages canceled

califgary

[quote name='Bobed1927']I suspect that a lot of Mexico cruises have been cancelled due to the danger to passengers because of the current major violent crime problem in Mexico. I know that a lot of people have cancelled their booking on Mexico cruises.[/quote]
Which I think is very stupid considering that none of the ports have the major crime problem that is concentrated in the border towns. We spend alot of time in Puerto Vallarta and their violent crime ratio is so much lower then Vancouver BC or many cities in the States.

[quote name='Bobed1927']I suspect that a lot of Mexico cruises have been cancelled due to the danger to passengers because of the current major violent crime problem in Mexico. I know that a lot of people have cancelled their booking on Mexico cruises.[/QUOTE]

We just got off the Mariner of the Seas and spoke to the Captain about this. He said the ship has sailed full all year so far and bookings continue to be in the 97-104% capacity. I sure didn't see the "lots of people pulling out" behavior and our cruise/ports were perfectly safe (and totally fun).

Katherine

[quote name='quincytoo']Which I think is very stupid considering that none of the ports have the major crime problem that is concentrated in the border towns. We spend alot of time in Puerto Vallarta and their violent crime ratio is so much lower then Vancouver BC or many cities in the States.[/QUOTE]

we just did the MR 2 weeks ago and felt safe the entire time..yes not real happy our cruise is cancelled for next year...we just booked another 7 day MR but on Royal Carribbean this time just to try it out and also SIL goes on that cruise line. so will get to see the difference between the two as we've always been on Princess. They need to realize that those of us on the west coast would like cruises out of SF instead of LA area! When we were on our cruise i talked with the future cruise gal and she said she's had alot of negative feedback on the cancellation of the cruises in 2011 from SF...apparently its all about the money! maybe one day it will be back in SF, but will just have to take other cruises until then!

We are also trying a different cruiseline - we found a 7 day MR out of LA on NCL - plus their repo to Alaska going to Ketchikan and Juneau! Princess repo's usually hit parts of Calif/Ore/Wash so this is a real treat. The business of making a profit is understandable but Princess is getting alot of bad press and defections to other lines because of their last minute decision to bail on us in SF.

So how many people do you know?

I suspect you don't know any facts!

[quote name='Bobed1927']I [B]suspect[/B] that a lot of Mexico cruises have been cancelled due to the danger to passengers because of the current major violent crime problem in Mexico. I know that a lot of people have cancelled their booking on Mexico cruises.[/quote]

Those of us in No California who want cruise out of SF, need to make this known to cruiselines we cruise on.

We have flown to cruise all over the world and will continue to do so.

Even so I will continue to make my desires known -- I add this to every cruise critique I complete. Hope others will not give up.

Eventually cruise lines will come back to SF.

We are booked on the Sea Princess for this September, feel lucky we booked it.

We cruise twice a year. Just returned from Ft Lauderdale, Carribbean on the Eurodam. We are booked on the Queen Victoria for 3/11 on a TA and on the Rotterdam for 10/11 in the Mediterranean. So maybe things will be better in California/San Francisco by 2012.

Quincytoo, I may be stupid but I read the newspapers and have seen, in particular a lot of stories about the violence in Acapulco. I don't believe that is a border town.

Sultan SFO, I live in the Bay Area too. I guess that you don't read the travel section of the Sunday Chronicle. There have been several mentions of the impact of the violence in Mexico on cruises to Mexico. Also you will find such comments in the cruise board, rec.travel.cruises.

I am not very surprised Star will perhaps no longer go to South America . We were on the Jan 2 cruise .we were plagued by delays and bad weather ...very rough seas missed ports or made them really late Tendering was a mess ...apparently Argentinian authorities made it so
Our Captain was totally DIS enchanted with South America and all its problems...He was really negative
SOOOOOOO wondering still why they cancelled....not me ...... I cannot say I saw South America nor do I ever want to go back ...did not do it for me
Lots of people wrote to Princess re Star I'm sure it had A LOT to do with this change!!!
On our trip many people were really upset missing most ports Cape Horn thru fog was a DUD

[quote name='mmemichele']I am not very surprised Star will perhaps no longer go to South America . We were on the Jan 2 cruise .we were plagued by delays and bad weather ...very rough seas missed ports or made them really late Tendering was a mess ...apparently Argentinian authorities made it so
Our Captain was totally DIS enchanted with South America and all its problems...He was really negative
SOOOOOOO wondering still why they cancelled....not me ...... I cannot say I saw South America nor do I ever want to go back ...did not do it for me
Lots of people wrote to Princess re Star I'm sure it had A LOT to do with this change!!!
On our trip many people were really upset missing most ports Cape Horn thru fog was a DUD[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]First of all, if the captain was really openly disenchanted and negative, that was extremely unprofessional. Second, didn't you already post this? I think we all get that you didn't enjoy your cruise, but the decisions about itineraries and ship redeployment were made long before you and the captain complained y'all's way through South America.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Bobed1927']Quincytoo, I may be stupid but I read the newspapers and have seen, in particular a lot of stories about the violence in Acapulco. I don't believe that is a border town.[/QUOTE]

+1 for the poster who pays attention to the news.

I recently put in a policy to avoid all MR cruises (regardless of cabin price) due to the current security situation, and I definitely know others like me...

First of all, if the captain was really openly disenchanted and negative, that was extremely unprofessional. Second, didn't you already post this? I think we all get that you didn't enjoy your cruise, but the decisions about itineraries and ship redeployment were made long before you and the captain complained y'all's way through South America.

Isn't this the first time the poster has referenced her particular experience

in THIS particular thread? There's no rule on the CC board that you can't

reference your experiences more than once:rolleyes:

Her input is just as valuable as anyone else's.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI I was just purusing the San Francisco Port cruiseship calendar and it shows the SEA PRINCESS coming in and going out about every 10 days over a period of 4 months or so May - September. Based on what she is doing this year Im guessing a 10 day Alaska (maybe Mexico) is in the works for 2011. Wonder when Princess will let people know! I feel like such a detective....

http://www.sfport.com/site/port_page.asp?id=91557

Me too......So cool to drive to San Pedro or San Diego instead of flying for a day.....

Bob

Maybe the cruise lines will rethink pulling ships from the West Coast and placing them in Europe after the volcano eruption!!

The grounding of the airlines during this time has had to have a major affect on the cruise industry and its passengers!

Archived