April 2011 San Francisco voyages canceled

califgary

I got an email from one of my cruise TA's today and she said that Princess has cancelled some cruises on Emerald, Ruby, Grand, ETC. in addition to the Star SA and MR cruises. It sounds like they are shuffling some itineraries. Many people complain about the same old same old cruises. Maybe something interesting will turn up. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. I'm not surprised by Princess cutting some West Coast cruises, though. They had some dirt cheap fares at prime season this year.

And something to keep in mind: There's no way Princess would bring

the Grand or Emerald over here because they weren't built to

fit through the Panama Canal. Therefore, to get here they'd have to

go around the horn of S.A. and we all know that those cruises

will be history as of the end of March 2011. The Coral and the Island were built to go through the Canal, so if Princess

were to consider sailings out of SF I would imagine that they would

bring these ships over through the canal, or, we might luck out and

get a bone here and there when the finish the Asian/Hawaii sailings

sometime.

Heck, last time we sailed out of SF in 2007 not only was it us on the

Golden Princess, but the Dawn Princess left the same day as us, both

out of San Fran!

Not necessarily. The Around-the-Horn cruises for repositioning the Mariner and the Carnival Splendor sold very, very well. It's a possibility that Princess might repo one of their Grand Class ships with that itinerary too. Selling one long cruise around the Horn that leaves & returns to a US port is very desirable to a lot of people.

Well, count us in as those that are bummed about the Mexico run being pulled out of SFO which is less than 1 hour away from us.

This has always been a girls getaway cruise...the itinerary has been done a zillion times...it's the spa and quality time together for my mom and me!

In fact next week we are actually road tripping down to San Diego (and being total tourists) before we board RCCL Radiance of the Seas for 11 nights...since Princess options for a longer cruise wasn't available!!!

Sadly my Diamond + benefits stink compared to my Princess Elite..

I have to PAY for internet and laundry...yuck!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Sapphire 10 night!

Not necessarily. The Around-the-Horn cruises for repositioning the Mariner and the Carnival Splendor sold very, very well. It's a possibility that Princess might repo one of their Grand Class ships with that itinerary too. Selling one long cruise around the Horn that leaves & returns to a US port is very desirable to a lot of people.

What I meant by after 2011 the S.A. cruises becoming history [i meant

in the horn area/Antarctica area.. it was my understanding that

some type of legislation had been passed that would make it

hard or nearly impossible for large ships to sail in that area after 2011.

Someone posted about it on the boards here a week or two ago.

Perhaps I misunderstood? Maybe it's an urban legend.

My bad if I've misled anyone.

;)

Well, count us in as those that are bummed about the Mexico run being pulled out of SFO which is less than 1 hour away from us.

This has always been a girls getaway cruise...the itinerary has been done a zillion times...it's the spa and quality time together for my mom and me!

In fact next week we are actually road tripping down to San Diego (and being total tourists) before we board RCCL Radiance of the Seas for 11 nights...since Princess options for a longer cruise wasn't available!!!

Sadly my Diamond + benefits stink compared to my Princess Elite..

I have to PAY for internet and laundry...yuck!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Sapphire 10 night!

Well, maybe Princess will hear us out regarding the SF sailings, but for

now, we are looking at quite possible doing a 14-night to Hawaii

on the Sapphire for late March 2011!;) I like the fact that it

departs on a Saturday, so we'd only have to use 10 days for vacation

vs. 13 days if we were to go on the Golden which departs on Wednesdays.

ccrain user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifLooks Like It Would Be Effective in March 2011...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa Girl viewpost.gif

Could you give me some more information on this March, 2011, deadline? I know that the IAATO will be voting next month on a resolution banning all heavy fuel oil carried in ships going to Antarctica. But what were you told aboard the ship about the likelihood of this passing and the effective date? We are booked on a HAL cruise to Antarctica next January, so I am anxiously watching the outcome of this resolution.

At least that's what everybody on the ship is planning for. If the treaty goes into effect, Princess will probably do only south american cruises, not antarctic cruises.

so I think its highly likely the treaty will pass and the cruises curtailed.

The above statements are referencing what I was trying

to convey a couple posts back.

i called Princess this afternoon and was told nothing would be announced until March 17th. She told me they might bring in a daifferent ship, re-schedule the cruise or just cancel the entire cruise. I also asked if many people have called about this and she said that she has gotten about 7 calls today so i am hoping that if enough of us call then maybe they will here us...a girl can dream can't she?

anyways my TA told me that in 2009 there were very little europe cruises sold so they moved alot of the ships out of Europe and into0 other areas and now for some reason this year everyone is wanting to cruise to europe so that is why they are pulling ships and cancelling cruises and putting them in europe...i still think its not very nice

i called Princess this afternoon and was told nothing would be announced until March 17th. She told me they might bring in a daifferent ship, re-schedule the cruise or just cancel the entire cruise. I also asked if many people have called about this and she said that she has gotten about 7 calls today so i am hoping that if enough of us call then maybe they will here us...a girl can dream can't she?

anyways my TA told me that in 2009 there were very little europe cruises sold so they moved alot of the ships out of Europe and into0 other areas and now for some reason this year everyone is wanting to cruise to europe so that is why they are pulling ships and cancelling cruises and putting them in europe...i still think its not very nice

Most of my traveling friends are opting out of Europe this year. So

this is an interesting statement. i mean, with our dollar so devalued

compared to the euro and all the hassle of flying so far, and with

all the new restrictions on travelers traveling back INTO the U.S.,

one would think international travel might be on a decline this

year.

Those agents at Princess are usually very uninformed and I'd be

very surprised it they supplanted the Star with another ship

for the Mexico 10-days out of SF. But you're right, a girl can and

should keep dreaming;)

Of course, it they should deliver a ship to us, I'll be first in line

for my "special" cabin.:D

I just checked and it is the Grand and its April 14 day Caribbean itineraries are also canceled - Im keeping my fingers crossed that the Grand may be sent westward to SF!

Ooopps....Ain't gonna happen:eek::o....they'd have to go via the Cape to bring her to westcoast....:(

Cheers

Ooopps....Ain't gonna happen:eek::o....they'd have to go via the Cape to bring her to westcoast....:(

Cheers

Why couldn't that happen? The Mariner of the Seas did it and now we have a great ship here! Katherine

Those of us who want more cruises out of SF we need to say so even when we are on other Princess cruises. Add it to your comment card.

Our next cruise on Princess is on the Sea to Mexico in September. I will add this comment to my questionnaire at the end of the cruise and tell the future booking staff of my interest.

I really doubt more people are going to Europe. Even the airlines have been cutting back on flights.

With low value of the dollar it is cheaper to cruise then visit Europe on an land tour. We went to Europe and the Middle East in 2009 by ship for just this reason. European cruises are not cheap.

Cruiselines may be selling more cruises to Europeans though with the value of the euro to the dollar, it is a good deal for Europeans.

I thought this thread was supposed to be dedicated to the fact

that the SF sailings had been canceled, and now the thread is going

off into all sorts of directions, i.e., all around the world;):D

Pretty much every thread goes off in all sorts of directions?:)

The rescheduled voyages will be avail as others have said on 17 mar,

for the AP and the TP. What will be even more intereseting to me will be the summer 2011 deployment. If (IF!) They flip the grand and the star and do bring the grand to the west coast, will she be in

AK for summer 2011 or is she bound for transfer out of the fleet......it would seem unlikely yet another ship would go to p&o with the royal about to be on it's way, but logically she (the grand) is the oldest in the fleet. Princess has reduced ships in ak by one this summer, If the grand were brought over, would they switch out the coral or the island from alaska then? Seems unlikely they would up the total ships in AK again.

I do think the poor star needs a break though, for sure. The nice surprise would be summer voyages to mexico on a ship out of SFO, when the weather is nice....summer voyages other than AK out of SFO would be great, and a big change that plenty would wish for out there, great time to visit SFO as well as sail out of there. Wish they would leave the island or coral in sfo for mexico in the summer!

Cheers

And why is that? The Carnival Splendor and the RCI Mariner of the Seas both made the trip last year without a problem. In fact, these sailings were highly desirable by Americans and sold very well.

repositions would not be a problem, i agree.......no other way to to it with the grand class and as colo stated, it is the repetitive wear that becomes the issue, not a once or twice a year movement. no reason they could not swap and place the grand in AK 2011, either, and maybe move a panamax down out of there to keep # of ships in ak the same for '11, but i am probably dreaming.

Haven't booked anything for next year yet, but we were thinking about something out of San Francisco since we live in the East Bay. So much easier than flying these days. I'm very curious about what's going on and what Princess has in mind. I'm sure some of these changes (South America) are a direct result of the chaos with the Star after the earthquake in Chile. It certainly bears watching and also gives pause to early bookings, only to be diappointed if the cruise is cancelled!

Haven't booked anything for next year yet, but we were thinking about something out of San Francisco since we live in the East Bay. So much easier than flying these days. I'm very curious about what's going on and what Princess has in mind. I'm sure some of these changes (South America) are a direct result of the chaos with the Star after the earthquake in Chile. It certainly bears watching and also gives pause to early bookings, only to be diappointed if the cruise is cancelled!

I don't think it has anything to do with Chile, I received the Europe Itineraries this morning, this would have been in place for a while.

We're booked on the following cruises, and I just checked availability-

Mar. 26, 2 1/2 weeks from now, Grand 14 day Carib. out of FLL. Cabins in all categories still available.

June 5, About 3 months from now, Grand 14 day Med. out of Southhampton.Cabins in all categories still available.

Sept 29, 6 1/2 months from now, Sea 10 day Mex. West coast out of San Fran.-Only one category of Oceanview, and 5 of inside still available. Everything else waitlist only.

Doesn't take a marketing genius to figure out where they need more product.

I'm sure some of these changes (South America) are a direct result of the chaos with the Star after the earthquake in Chile. It certainly bears watching and also gives pause to early bookings, only to be diappointed if the cruise is cancelled!
It has nothing to do with earthquakes, fires, hurricanes or mudslides. This wasn't a snap decision made in the last couple of weeks. It's all about the money, i.e., they can make more money cruising in Europe than Alaska. Economics 101. ALL of the cruiselines have removed at least one ship from Alaska and repositioned it elsewhere for 2010, and it looks like they're removing another ship for 2011. Alaska is it's own worst enemy with their collective heads in the snow, forgetting that cruise ships are moveable and if you make it difficult or expensive to sail there, they'll go elsewhere.

Those of us who want more cruises out of SF we need to say so even when we are on other Princess cruises. Add it to your comment card.

Good idea! Will do this on every future cruise.

Cheers, Dee

Archived