Why all the Negative Solstice Reviews?

blueboro

It seems most of the recent CC reviews on the Solstice are not very good. We are booked for the 4/25 sailing and I am starting to get a little concerned. Complaints about crowds, bad food, mediocre entertainment. If it was just one or two I would not be concerned but it seems to be a large number of negative reviews.

It seems most of the recent CC reviews on the Solstice are not very good. We are booked for the 4/25 sailing and I am starting to get a little concerned. Complaints about crowds, bad food, mediocre entertainment. If it was just one or two I would not be concerned but it seems to be a large number of negative reviews.

Hmmmmm, coming from someone who just sailed on the Solstice on Feb 21, we don't think you have anything to worry about.

Crowds didn't seem to be an issue AT ALL, even though the ship was at full capacity. The food was a "bit" hit or miss, but all things considered, we were pleased! The same sentiments go for entertainment.

Quit worrying about what other people have to say...relax, and start getting excitied about your trip...you will have a GREAT TIME! :-)

It's a simple fact that unhappy people are much more likely to go public than people that are happy. We were on the Solstice in January and it was one of the best cruises we've had. i would also add that the Solstice is the nicest, classiest ship we've sailed. Take any review with a grain of salt. I have seen "reviews" for every cruise we've taken and there always seems to be someone that appeared to be on the cruise from hell. Can't believe they were on the same cruise.

I think the perception of crowded is limited to a few areas.

One is the pool deck, and that is a result of some limited space and close in lounge chairs but to balance that, there are some lovely sofa-like seating areas in the sun and out of the sun that are really nice and enjoyable.

Another is the buffet which is large and well laid out and extends out to the aft of the ship, but like many many other cruise ships when its 1pm everyone wants to sit down and eat, and it can be hard to find a table but not impossible.

Aqua Spa, there can't be more than 6 tables in this area. I don't know why there are so few, but there it is. Nearly impossible to get one.

The rest of the ship is open and spacious and very, very comfortable.

We have been on both Solstice and Equinox with two more booked, and I can't think of nicer ships to sail on.

It's a simple fact that unhappy people are much more likely to go public than people that are happy. We were on the Solstice in January and it was one of the best cruises we've had. i would also add that the Solstice is the nicest, classiest ship we've sailed. Take any review with a grain of salt. I have seen "reviews" for every cruise we've taken and there always seems to be someone that appeared to be on the cruise from hell. Can't believe they were on the same cruise.
Totally agree with your post.We were on Solstice Jan10 and are going back April 25, couldn't resist the 3 rate drops we found.LOL Love the ship and the crew.

The past 20 reviews avg out to a 4 star out of 5. Not too shabby IMHO. The main complaint is "too crowded" and "food was bland in the MDR". It is a large ship that carries a LOT of people..solution...cruise on a smaller ship. As for the food, if you don't like what you ordered then try something else. On a menu with appetizers, soups, salads and several entrees, you can find something. Is it gourmet, NO, but for feeding 1200+ per seating they do a very good job. JMO

You will have a great time! The ship is stunning and sophisticated and has a lot to offer. I felt the food was great. It's possible you can spend the entire week onboard and still miss some things that you'd want to do or see. I was concerned reading many reviews before going as well last month, and while I did find some of the themes in the reviews to be true, it did not detract from having an enjoyable week.

While Solstice is a beautiful ship, they do have some things they need to work on related to service quality, most notably in the MDR, as has been discussed at length on this board. That does not mean one is an unhappy person and is complaining about everything, it just means that some people work hard throughout the year and look to spend their precious vacation dollars and time wisely, and thus have certain expectations. Celebrity is a business that markets a certain product and some feel they aren't delivering in certain areas. Multiple people with the same pattern of issues does tell a story, but again, there was nothing so horrible that will detract from your time onboard, and I do plan to try another Solstice-class in the future. Enjoy, and dive right in on the first day because the week sure goes by fast! :)

Don't worry. You will have a wonderful time. Many of us X repeaters DO have a concern re service in the MDR. But you have to realize that X is expected to have the best of service. So when we cruised Solstice, we WERE a little surprised that it didn't hit the mark as in the past. But that doesn't make it BAD service. It makes it average. Which draws the criticism from us regulars. I still think it is due to a couple issues. The select dining choice and the hiring of so many new servers. If X is on the mark, they are working on that now, as it is showing up on a lot of the questionaires we all fill out at the end of the cruise. They really can't afford to have word of "average" service spread among their future cruisers.

Entertainment is subjective. We enjoyed all the bars and the variety of entertainment in them.

We just loved the ship and always enjoy the atmosphere presented. only felt the crowds on sea days on the pool level. The buffet arrangement is better than the cafeteria style. Never had problems finding a spot to sit. Explore, as there are many tables that stretch the length of the ship...indoor and out. We always found our table before getting the food.

Have a great time and report back when you return!!!

Thanks...you have made me feel better. I have never been on a bad cruise and really looking forward to Solstice. Had a great Century cruise in 1997 and Summit at Christmas in 2004. Just was concerned there had been a noticable drop in the service and food.

I agree with other posters that crowding is really only an issue if you are in very popular places at peak times (ie pool on sea days, buffet at 1 p.m., Martini bar pre-dinner). If you dont like crowds, adjust your schedule so you aren't "following the crowdsl" Believe me, i don't like being crowded and never felt that way on Equinox.

Enjoy & report back please. Future Solstice cruisers will thank you!!

Past Solstice cruiser here too...

I LOVED IT..... Awesome ship.

We did the Conceirge Class and we loved the person who made us feel special and was at our call anytime. We didn't bug him too much either...but he was so attentive and friendly. When he heard we were disappointed that we didn't get our Inaugural Cruise Ornament (because Celebrity was sneaky and scheduled an earlier cruise since it was done early) we had one waiting on our pillow one of the nights.

Food is food...subjective...but OH that martini bar...yum...and the wine place had the wines where you could pour by the ounce self serve at anytime was the BEST.

Oh and look below....that's right...we are back on this beauty this November....woo hoooooooooooo

Ken

I recently gave Solstice a VERY glowing review after my Feb 14 sailing. As a very frequent Celebrity cruiser, I have said in the past that the food had declined, but in my review I said that the food on Solstice is the best I've had on X in a very long time. The service was exceptional, as usual.

Yes, there are crowding issues in some areas, like others have said, the pool and at times in the buffet, but it wasn't nearly as bad as crowding on Royal Caribbean ships, where you can't find a seat in any of their entertainment venues in the evening. And I think the crowding issue by the pool is mainly because they made a mistake by putting so many of the chairs by the pool under cover. There are a huge number of chairs on the pool deck, but more than half of them are underneath the promenade/running deck on the deck right above the pool area.

But don't worry, Solstice is a fantastic ship, and if the rest of the fleet can mirror the food and service, X is in for great success.

Our ten night December Equinox cruise in AQ was our best cruise out of approximately 25 which we have cruised in the last 11 years. By the way, one site rates the S class as 5.5 stars along with Oceania; and, we agree. By the way, this site lists the luxury ships as 6 stars, their highest rating.

IT really amazes me how there can be so many 5+ review and then some 1 star reviews. I even found a review from last month that said the ship was ugly, unattractive, and bland. So take that with a grain of Salt. Nicest ship I have ever been on!!!! Enjoy. Don't even think about cancelling

Yes, that's it, no neon lights and glitter.;) If all the pool loungers were out in the direct sun they'd be complaining there's no shade. For those who haven't had skin cancer yet...count your blessings.

We spent 28 days (2 TA's) on Solstice, and I did find one thing to complain about -- one evening I had the gazpacho soup, and it was cold. :eek:

Later, I found out that's the way it was supposed to be. ;)

Sailed the Solstice 1/10/10. Didn't write a review, but if I had it would have been very positive. I think you'll find a lot of things to like on the Solstice. We found the food to be as good as any we've had on a cruise. We tend to do things that avoid crowds. Some days the pool deck was crowded. But we were still able to find a shady spot. Wouldn't hesitate to sail an 'S' ship again.

Not according to the review section of Cruise Critic.

There are currently 213 written reviews for Dec, Jan, Feb (my definition of recent). The reviews are given between 1-5 ribbons.

The average for the 213 is just under 4.5. Hardly what I would call not very good.

Only 4 of them had 1 or 2 ribbons.

Now reviews are just opinions, and as such, a grain of salt should be added to the all, good or bad.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

What is really strange - when you look at the ribbon ratings on some compared with the actual review - the rating is high and the review is terrible.

Still can't figure that one out...:rolleyes:

I have to agree with the poster who said to take the reviews with a grain of salt. When I think back over the cruises I have taken (11) there were things I liked and things I didn't care for as much. It was MY responsibility to have a good time or not, and when I cruise, I want to have a good time. People are not perfect, things don't always go as planned, but overall for me, it's heaven. X is a different kind of cruise line, but if you want to feel like Queen for a day, this is it. If folks look down at you, trust me, you have more class than them.... IMHO Sit back and enjoy, you will have a great cruise!

These days you get what you pay for,

When I see people paying 400.00 for a window stateroom on a 7 night cruise, I am not sure what they expect??? Following these past few years all cruiselines have had quality issues due to the economy. Furthermore Many come to X with unrealistic expectations that Celebrity will deliver a way way better cruise then the lines they have come from. So when boarding most X ships many people have huge expectations due to X having great history and awards. This can cause a problem versus say when we book a cruise not on X we know that its not like Celebrity and tend to find many great things with realistic expectations.

I am not very worried with the reviews, when it comes to entertainment, Design, Style and activities Celebrity is trying a different approach and it will take a year or so to get it down and reap the rewards and following. Celebrity added select dinning because of the demand but even hat has people complaining, they add this they take away that to appeal to the customers needs, and sometimes had the opposite effects on others.

We look at every cruise as a new adventure, and life as something special. I will say though, when I hear people treating staff badly or acting like they are entitled to something unrealistic I have stepped in and made sure the staff member understand we realize they are doing a good job or reminded the rude passenger of what could be worse then waiting 3 minutes for a glass of wine :). In a contained environment you will always notice more people getting sick, partying hard not lack of, and sorry to say in a world of complainers.. this also.

You can also write of any review that gives Solstice less then 4 on Design and rooms, if someone scores this ship that low I am not sure what other ships they have sailed, but they will not like the Solstice if the design itself they find not tasteful.

Just cruise and enjoy it!

Not to Worry. I sailed on the Solstice on 2/21 and absolutely loved the ship. Was in Aqua Class and the food in Blu was just excellent as was the service. I dined one evening in MDR and absolutely the food was not as good but acceptable. Dined in Tuscan Grille and Murano -- both well worth the surcharge. The dinner in Murano was among the best I have ever had on a ship and maybe even off a ship -- just absolutely outstanding from start to finish. The Ship is beautiful from stem to stern. I never felt crowded but did observe a run on chaise lounges at the pool esp. on sea days which is true with other lines, as well. It was crowded in the buffet on disembarkation day but since other venues were closed that is to be expected. The permanent art/sculpture on the ship is awesome. The entertainment was good especially guest star Lindsey Hamilton. The service was mostly good to excellent and cheerful/friendly at all times. I observed a couple of folks that were not enjoying themselves and squawking about minor things (ie - no canadian newspaper over the weekend -- give me a break, coffee container needed refilling -- uh, yeah! --sometimes that can happen folks). The positive, happy people were having the time of their lives, the "few" others are the negative types who take their angst with them wherever they go & may have expectations that even the Ritz Carlton could not achieve. My only complaint is that I will have a hard time booking anything but Aqua Class in the future.

Best, Marigold

Archived