Trip to Marigot in St Marten

We will be visiting St Marten onboard Oasis on the 24 APR cruise. The 4 of us would like to visit Marigot. How long is the taxi ride to Marigot? Any suggestions on what to do there, a good restaurant for lunch? Is it easy to get a taxi back to Phillipsburg and how long is the drive back (assuming more traffic later in the afternoon.)

We will be visiting St Marten onboard Oasis on the 24 APR cruise. The 4 of us would like to visit Marigot. How long is the taxi ride to Marigot? Any suggestions on what to do there, a good restaurant for lunch? Is it easy to get a taxi back to Phillipsburg and how long is the drive back (assuming more traffic later in the afternoon.)

Hi, have not been there in a couple of years but traffic between Marigot and Phillipsburg is terrible. Be sure to check with someone not trying to sell you a taxi on how much time you will need to allow.

Good cruise,

:)

Try the ports of call board for St. Maarten for information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Wow, this guy posted a picture of the board of taxi fares!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v357/gtaylor/Taxi/?action=view&current=DSCN3856.jpg

We have done two excursions that go to Marigot. Had fun on each. The one with the catamaran was not the best. We really enjoyed the one that included the Butterfly Farm. There is time in Marigot to eat and shop in the local craft market. We even had time to shop just before we had to get back to the ship. I would consider an excursion over a taxi. The excursion buses are pretty nice and the drivers give a great history lesson during the drive.

It is very easy to get between Phillipsburg. You don't have to use a taxi. There are busses that run between the two capitols and it only costs $2.00 per person each way. The time it takes for the trip depends on traffic and at times it can be bad. If the traffic is not a problem when you go the trip may take about 25-30 minutes.

We did the bus, too. It took a while, but the locals kept us entertained -- very friendly and interesting people. Once we got to Marigot, we found it to be pretty expensive and the shopkeepers to be less than friendly (they would make snide comments to each other about tourists while we were right there, not realizing that I understand French quite well.) So the bus rides ended up being the highlight of the whole adventure.

Would you consider renting a car? Several rental agencies have kiosks at the pier. I think we used Hertz or Avis and had everything arranged ahead of time. We were off the ship and in our car before the shore excursions ever left the dock. We have done this twice now in St. Martin. The island is very easy to navigate and you can really see the island at your leisure.

Would you consider renting a car? Several rental agencies have kiosks at the pier. I think we used Hertz or Avis and had everything arranged ahead of time. We were off the ship and in our car before the shore excursions ever left the dock. We have done this twice now in St. Martin. The island is very easy to navigate and you can really see the island at your leisure.

We rented a car the first time we went to St. Maarten. I think it is a very good way to see the island. And driving is on the right side of the road as in the States. However, if someones only interst is getting to Marigot from Phillipsburg it will be much cheaper to take the bus and not have to worry about parking in the two capitols which can be difficult at best.

We rented a car the first time we went to St. Maarten. I think it is a very good way to see the island. And driving is on the right side of the road as in the States. However, if someones only interst is getting to Marigot from Phillipsburg it will be much cheaper to take the bus and not have to worry about parking in the two capitols which can be difficult at best.

Ocean Boy, what is the departure point for the bus to Marigot? Is it right at the cruise pier?

We were there in Feb. We took a cab to Marigot. We we got to the taxi stand there were two other couples also going so they put us in a van for $6 pp. The drive took about 30 - 45 minutes. We spent about three hours there and took a cab to Philipsburg. It was only the two of us and it was $9 pp.

We found this a very easy way to see both towns.

War Eagle.

Bernard will take you. ;)

http://bernardstours.shoreadventures.net/

Funny - as I was reading through the responses, I was going to recommend Bernard - and here you did! It's a great way to see a variety of places around the island - with time on the beach and to shop - plus to see the planes coming over your head on the beach!

Funny - as I was reading through the responses, I was going to recommend Bernard - and here you did! It's a great way to see a variety of places around the island - with time on the beach and to shop - plus to see the planes coming over your head on the beach!

He is a great guy! :)

Ocean Boy, what is the departure point for the bus to Marigot? Is it right at the cruise pier?

In Phillipsburg when you get off of the water taxi you walk straight down the road past Front Street to Back Street. They depart from the vacinity of the town hall building. In Marigot they run down the street slightly back from the waterfront. I can't remember the name of it. But just keep track of the location where you get dropped off and walk back to that general vacinity when you are ready to go back. The busses run quite frequently. We didn't have to wait more than a few minutes in either capitol.

Archived