Should we bring our own basketball? Silly question, I know.

moopdog

I realize it may seems trivial (& it is) but my son lives & breathes basketball...it is a major reason why we went with the Gem instead of another ship we were considering. How do people get the equipment to use on the sports deck & is it available 24/7? If there's a chance the balls may not be readily available, we're thinking of packing one, but it takes a lot of space....so:confused:.

Thanks.

One more thing while I'm at it...should we bring a small bucket filled with sand toys for Great Stirrup & Nassau? I dread the thought of it, but my daughter stays mostly on the beach while my son is in the water. Is this kind of thing available & free??

One more thing while I'm at it...should we bring a small bucket filled with sand toys for Great Stirrup & Nassau? I dread the thought of it, but my daughter stays mostly on the beach while my son is in the water. Is this kind of thing available & free??

You can't expect to find these things available at the beaches on your cruise.

I always do. Sometimes I bring sand toys from home or sometimes, depending where our first stop is, I buy them there. Rather than a bucket, maybe consider some scoopers or sand molds that take up less space in your luggage.

They already have basketballs there. I believe that the courts are not usually available 24/7 tho due to the noise below from the ball "thumping". Just something for DS to know so he doesn't get disappointed that he can't shoot hoops at 3am. I'll ask my DS about it and let you know if there aren't any restrictions.

I realize it may seems trivial (& it is) but my son lives & breathes basketball...it is a major reason why we went with the Gem instead of another ship we were considering. How do people get the equipment to use on the sports deck & is it available 24/7? If there's a chance the balls may not be readily available, we're thinking of packing one, but it takes a lot of space....so:confused:.

Thanks.

That is actually a good question. It depends on the make up of the cruise passengers. For example, I just cruised the Sky and was shocked to discover hardly anyone played basketball. It was my first cruise that I got to enjoy shooting some hoops. It was not an organized game but just a fun shoot to see how far we could keep going back making baskets.

I see no problem bringing your own ball since they usually only have 2 on the court. There are not normally organized games but bringing your own ball gives you control and able to share one of the hoops with others. Otherwise you will have to wait until someone finishes. The only exception is if there was an organized game going on which is not normally the case.

If your son loves shooting hoops this much, bring the ball. There is nothing more fun than shooting hoops at sea. You can play at night, day, or morning.

Have fun!

They already have basketballs there. I believe that the courts are not usually available 24/7 tho due to the noise below from the ball "thumping". Just something for DS to know so he doesn't get disappointed that he can't shoot hoops at 3am. I'll ask my DS about it and let you know if there aren't any restrictions.

Actually, the "Great Outdoors" is below the basketball court, according to deck plans.

On our last cruise last month I heard complaints from those below the Great Outdoors that they could hear the thumping all night long from the basketball court. They finally closed it at around midnight near the end of the cruise.

BBall play onboard varies by ship make up. I try to play as on all trips but last trip -Dawn 1/29- passengers were way old as compared to previous NCL trips. Without a contingent of 20-30 somethings games may be hard to come by. The balls on board are the very rubbery outdoor almost kickball type. The courts are mini and most people could care less. Remember this is a cruise not an NBA tryout camp. All skills play and the quality of court and ball are not that relevant, having fun playing in the middle of the water is. If you have a choice, try to schedule your trip around school vacation times and the liklihood of ongoing games throughout the day will increase.

On our last cruise last month I heard complaints from those below the Great Outdoors that they could hear the thumping all night long from the basketball court. They finally closed it at around midnight near the end of the cruise.

You know, that does make sense. There is something about that "thump" that could carry down another deck.

BBall play onboard varies by ship make up. I try to play as on all trips but last trip -Dawn 1/29- passengers were way old as compared to previous NCL trips. Without a contingent of 20-30 somethings games may be hard to come by. The balls on board are the very rubbery outdoor almost kickball type. The courts are mini and most people could care less. Remember this is a cruise not an NBA tryout camp. All skills play and the quality of court and ball are not that relevant, having fun playing in the middle of the water is. If you have a choice, try to schedule your trip around school vacation times and the liklihood of ongoing games throughout the day will increase.

Thanks to all for the info....but perhaps I misrepresented the situation, though. My son (who does LOVE basketball) is only 9 and will not be playing all night by any means, and in fact he goes to bed by 8:00. though I think we'll obviously make exceptions on vacation ;).

We picked this ship over the other since it had a sports deck & basketball hoop/court & the other ship did not, but I didn't mean to imply that we will be sitting around the court watching our kid play bball for 7 days. He likes to shoot hoops with his dad, playing pig and horse and will not care a bit about playing a "game" with others while on vacation....that's what basketball camp in June is for!:D

Take care!

I think it's a great idea to bring a basketball for your son. The sports equipment is locked up at different times in the day. I would bring the ball....then give it to a little boy on your last port. We did this on our last cruise. The look on the child's face was the high light of our vacation:)

You are right and adding another ball allows the other people with the hoop and ball to share their hoop.

I brought my own snorkel equipment on my last cruise so why not a basket ball. Unless you want to wait your turn on the ball. It is wise to bring your own

Above sea level... that is an amazing idea what to do with the basket ball after the end of the cruise. You guys are great. I want to cruise with a ship full of people like you :)

I think it's a great idea to bring a basketball for your son. The sports equipment is locked up at different times in the day. I would bring the ball....then give it to a little boy on your last port. We did this on our last cruise. The look on the child's face was the high light of our vacation:)

When we took my kids to Disney for the first time a few years ago, while we were checking in, someone walked up to my kids and handed them all of their big expensive fancy helium balloons that they couldn't take on the plane going home. The look on my kids faces - well, it was the perfect start to a perfect vaction.

When we were headed to the beach one year, a woman bought my son a bucket & shovel for no good reason. We were at a rest stop and she talked to him for a minute & then went in the gift shop to get that for him. I was stunned. There are so many people like this out there! Thank goodness.

I recall a similar thread months ago... Try to search for it if you want to.

I had suggested on that thread a backpack for the ball as your son's carry-on to fit in the overhead. That way he has a ball he likes.

Have fun.

Archived