How do I renew my passport?

rogerwaters

Most countries require that your passport be valid for 6 months after your scheduled departure from their country. You can check the specific requirements for the countries you’ll be visiting from this US State Department website:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.html

In case your passport is lost, a color copy of the first 2 pages of your passport will speed up the process of getting a replacement. It is also advisable to scan and email a copy of this to yourself. This way should you lose everything you’re carrying you can retrieve it from anywhere in the world should the need arise.

Aunty Pat

If you check the country by country entry requirements on State Department site to which you have provided the link, you will see it is not true that most countries require your passport to be valid for 6 months after your scheduled departure. Some do, and European countries that are parties to the Schengen agreement require your passport to be valid for 3 months past your intended stay, but it is a myth that most countries have a six montrh requirement.

I called Princess this morning and was told our passports MUST be at least 6 months from expiration date or we won't be allowed to board. That is their policy so we will have to accept it. The airline and other country requirements don't matter much if we can't get on the ship.

Even so, it still could get lost in the mail. Unlikely, I know, but what if it actually did get lost? What then? Apply for a new passport as if I'd never, ever had one?

Make copies of your application before you send it in. In the unlikely event it gets lost, you then call them, and re-submit.

Did you try typing "passport renewal" into Google, going to the very first hit, and following the really difficult instructions?

DON

Thats what we did it's easy, we went to CVS and just got new pictures, just make sure to do it early.

In preparation for renewing my passport, I got the pix taken at a nearby Kinkos. Evidently corporate policy is that they won't :( take pictures of someone wearing their glasses. So...my passport photo shows me not wearing my glasses, but I'll certainly be wearing them when I check in for my flight and also checking in for boarding the ship.

And oh! the pix on my passport sure is butt ugly :eek:.

New photos, of course. You're getting a new passport, much like when you "renew" your driver's license. Before you take your own photo you need to be very sure it's the right size, has the right background, etc. Otherwise it could get refused.

• 3 months later...

Thanks again everyone. I took some advice from here and renewed by mail. Went to Walgreens and got my photo taken for a few bucks. Mailed it along with my application and old passport, got my new one mailed back to me yesterday. Total process took maybe 3 weeks. It was super easy and super quick! :D

Even so, it still could get lost in the mail. Unlikely, I know, but what if it actually did get lost? What then? Apply for a new passport as if I'd never, ever had one?

The instructions included with the form for renewing your passport include the procedure to follow if you don't have your old passport.

BTW, I sent in my renewal form in late May and the new passport arrived less than 2 weeks later (I did NOT request expedited service).

rogerwaters, glad to hear it! Now you don't have to worry about it and you can enjoy your travels. :)

I know this is from a few months ago but I feel compelled to answer. Using a "secure" form of mail as someone suggested, it's not going to get lost. In Canada we can send something registered or certified mail, something that requires a signature. It comes with a tracking number and the letter or parcel is scanned from the time it leaves the post office, each stop along the way, until it reaches its destination. Surely, the US Postal Service offers something similar? I wouldn't mail a passport using "regular" mail, but I certainly trust the registered mail. It costs more, but it's worth the money.

Sorry for asking dumb questions, I am trying to google information but have a few more questions:

1.) When I renew my passport, do they use the same picture or do I have to provide new photos?

2.) I see online that my local post office takes photos for passports (with an appointment), so is that the best way to get a new passport & photo (if I need a new photo) in one location?

3.) My passport expires in January 2011. I know I still have time to renew, but am I just better off renewing now before the rates go up this Spring? I also will be traveling in December and early January so I most likely will need a new passport before then anyway, since as I said it expires January of 2011.

My current passport is the only one I've ever owned, so I never went through the renewal process. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Its this easy.

I just did it a couple months back.

#1 Fill out form #DS-82 the website has the form to print out

#2 photos: CVS does them for about $6.00 and CVS has a coupon online 2.00 off (click passport photos and they also tell you which CVS in your area does it)

Walgreens does too., but CVS is closer to my house

#3 fill out form and enclose your old passport

#4 Send it priority mail with delivery confirmation

#5 wait for delivery they say 6-8 weeks, then again i got mine in 3 so it depends.

#6The cost for passport renewal is $75.00 passport card is $25.00 and if yo uwant to do the combo(I did $95.00) check or money order (new passports cost more)

Alrana

Sorry for asking dumb questions, I am trying to google information but have a few more questions:

1.) When I renew my passport, do they use the same picture or do I have to provide new photos? Yes.

2.) I see online that my local post office takes photos for passports (with an appointment), so is that the best way to get a new passport & photo (if I need a new photo) in one location? You can get cheaper photos at CVS or somewhere like that. You don't need to renew your passport at the post office. You can get a renewal form and mail it, with your current passport (they'll return it), yourself. I suggest by priority mail, since you can track it. I've done this and have gotten my passport back in about three weeks.

3.) My passport expires in January 2011. I know I still have time to renew, but am I just better off renewing now before the rates go up this Spring? I also will be traveling in December and early January so I most likely will need a new passport before then anyway, since as I said it expires January of 2011. Now is not a bad time to do it.

My current passport is the only one I've ever owned, so I never went through the renewal process. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

It's easy.

Archived