Carnival is cracking down on smuggling

Krissta

We sailed 8 days ago and got 6~1L & 3~8oz rum runners on!

Sailed on March 20 and got 3 L (Bacardi, Crown and mixed black Russian) and 2 8 oz ( Stoli, and Crown) on plus 12 of Coors light 16 oz bottles and 6 25 oz Fosters on board. Wife does not drink. I make up for her!

We are sailing out of Miami in two weeks and usually put two twelve packs of beer in our checked luggage. Since Miami seems to be cracking down on the alcohol in checked luggage, I was thinking of putting the beer in pepsi twelve pack boxes and putting them in our carry-ons. Does anyone know if the xray machine can see what kind of cans they are through the pepsi box? Or would you suggest just taking a chance and putting them in our checked luggage? My DH drinks a LOT of beer so I would like to get at least some on so our bill isn't so outrageous. Thanks for any help.

I'm sailing Destiny out of Miami on the 24th and am concerned about the crackdown on smuggling as well. This will be my sixth cruise with Carnival and I have never had a problem before. Normally I just put a 24 pack (or 2) in my checked bag along with a couple water bottles full of my malibu. I tip the room steward $20 first thing to keep the collapsable cooler full of ice the whole time and they are happy to oblige! After reading all of these posts I am worried. We broke down and got some rum runners but my friends and I are BIG beer drinkers and that is what I am having a problem with....figuring out how to get some beer on to keep my tab down. And I don't want to hear any flaming from anyone about that either!!! I went on a three day cruise last summer, brought a couple cases of beer, and still ending up spending $900 in three days!! They got their money's worth from me and then some (and YES, it is possible to have TOO much fun) :D

What we are considering doing is taking a 12 pack of coke and replacing ten of them with beer cans leaving the two coke cans at the top part where you put your hand in to hold it. And we are putting them in our checked bags. That way if they do open the luggage perhaps a quick glance will only show the two coke cans.....and of course, we are going with the philosphy that if they take it that's okay too :) Does anyone think that will work??

Here is a photo I snapped from my aft balcony in Ft. Lauderdale (I was on the Miracle) of the scanning process. Note the security person in the chair with the hooded sweatshirt over his/her head. On one end a guy threw the bag on the belt, it went through the machine and the guy on the other end hurled it into the red cage (with amazing accuracy) and sent it on it's way. And, everything in my bag made it to my cabin just fine ;)

2992431920064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

But the scanning of the bags is not new. They have always scanned bags - like the airports - for weapons, etc and until recently they just ignored the alcohol.

Not sure about this.......but someone told me that the port scans the bag for security. The bags are not in Carnival's control until they are actually on board. So Carnival would have to randomly choose bags - or rescan them to identify and/or confiscate the alcohol.

I'm sailing Destiny out of Miami on the 24th and am concerned about the crackdown on smuggling as well. This will be my sixth cruise with Carnival and I have never had a problem before. Normally I just put a 24 pack (or 2) in my checked bag along with a couple water bottles full of my malibu. I tip the room steward $20 first thing to keep the collapsable cooler full of ice the whole time and they are happy to oblige! After reading all of these posts I am worried. We broke down and got some rum runners but my friends and I are BIG beer drinkers and that is what I am having a problem with....figuring out how to get some beer on to keep my tab down. And I don't want to hear any flaming from anyone about that either!!! I went on a three day cruise last summer, brought a couple cases of beer, and still ending up spending $900 in three days!! They got their money's worth from me and then some (and YES, it is possible to have TOO much fun) :D

What we are considering doing is taking a 12 pack of coke and replacing ten of them with beer cans leaving the two coke cans at the top part where you put your hand in to hold it. And we are putting them in our checked bags. That way if they do open the luggage perhaps a quick glance will only show the two coke cans.....and of course, we are going with the philosphy that if they take it that's okay too :) Does anyone think that will work??

That is exactly what we are planning to do with the beer cans, except I was going to try putting a twelve pack in two different checked bags and one in each of our carry-ons and hope some of it makes it through. I have rumrunners also for my vodka, but the beer tab could really add up the way he drinks. I'm just worried about the xray machine showing what I have in my checked bags. I really need to know if it's going to show the Corona label through the Pepsi Box. Help anyone?

We are sailing out of Miami in two weeks and usually put two twelve packs of beer in our checked luggage. Since Miami seems to be cracking down on the alcohol in checked luggage, I was thinking of putting the beer in pepsi twelve pack boxes and putting them in our carry-ons. Does anyone know if the xray machine can see what kind of cans they are through the pepsi box? Or would you suggest just taking a chance and putting them in our checked luggage? My DH drinks a LOT of beer so I would like to get at least some on so our bill isn't so outrageous. Thanks for any help.

Many have reported that the staff has inspected the case of "soda" and opened the box up to see the contents inside. Others have gotten through though. The x-ray machine does not show what is labeled on the can.

Many have reported that the staff has inspected the case of "soda" and opened the box up to see the contents inside. Others have gotten through though. The x-ray machine does not show what is labeled on the can.

Here's hoping they won't be as strict now that spring break is over... :D

I think that the security folk are already slacking off some. Hope this whole thing will wash over soon.

Me too.. we are leaving from Long Beach in a few weeks.. will be bringing along some beers.. here's hoping they make it onboard.. if not we are staying a day extra so we can always drink them once we get off the ship:p

Maybe you guys can shoot Carnival an email and let them know of your intentions.

How do you think it got to this point? People posting their plans on how to smuggle booze which Carnival reads.

Bill

Here is a photo I snapped from my aft balcony in Ft. Lauderdale (I was on the Miracle) of the scanning process. Note the security person in the chair with the hooded sweatshirt over his/her head. On one end a guy threw the bag on the belt, it went through the machine and the guy on the other end hurled it into the red cage (with amazing accuracy) and sent it on it's way. And, everything in my bag made it to my cabin just fine ;)

2992431920064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Hey I like the cooler on the right, at least if they find your beer, they are going to keep it cold for you, or them,

Maybe you guys can shoot Carnival an email and let them know of your intentions.

How do you think it got to this point? People posting their plans on how to smuggle booze which Carnival reads.

Bill

Wow, Bill geez I never thought of that! I guess I just figured with all the people sailing Carnival everyday they probably had seen every attempt to smuggle and had no need to take the time to read these boards to see how it was being done! Thanks for setting me straight!

;)

:rolleyes:

Wow, Bill geez I never thought of that! I guess I just figured with all the people sailing Carnival everyday they probably had seen every attempt to smuggle and had no need to take the time to read these boards to see how it was being done! Thanks for setting me straight!

;)

;) back atcha! :) Glad to help!:D

Bill

Yes they are cracking down however if the luggage is locked & they think there is liquor, they willl open it when you are present with the luggage. Who in their right mind would hand over luggage unlocked to a porter that does not work for Carinval? Since Carinval does not offer any luggage insurance I truly feel this is incorrect!

Yes they are cracking down however if the luggage is locked & they think there is liquor, they willl open it when you are present with the luggage. Who in their right mind would hand over luggage unlocked to a porter that does not work for Carinval? Since Carinval does not offer any luggage insurance I truly feel this is incorrect!

Me........going on 12 years now........

i read on a post that that is what another cruiser did and they found it! lol

Just off the Triumph Saturday and my extra wine, RumRunner of Vodka and assorted other booze was delivered untouched. I also had the two bottles of wine in my carry on, plus a dozen bottles of water and a dozen cans of soda. They didn't even open the bags to check the bottles or cans.:cool: Everybody needs to relax on this subject. Will a random bag get hit, yes.

Just off the Triumph Saturday and my extra wine, RumRunner of Vodka and assorted other booze was delivered untouched. I also had the two bottles of wine in my carry on, plus a dozen bottles of water and a dozen cans of soda. They didn't even open the bags to check the bottles or cans.:cool: Everybody needs to relax on this subject. Will a random bag get hit, yes.

It seems it is being implemented at random ports so far.. Miami and San Juan have been hit the hardest.. heard abit about FLL.. not sure about the rest... maybe it was just a trial for spring break.. we can only hope:D

Do it all the time. Why do you assume your stuff is so valuable it's worth stealing and thus losing a perfectly good paying job over?

Do it all the time. Why do you assume your stuff is so valuable it's worth stealing and thus losing a perfectly good paying job over?

I always lock my luggage with the plastic hand cuffs.. very easy to cut off as need be and they have been by TSA.. I lock my luggage only for the fact that it can be sitting in the hallways for hours before you get to it.. and you never know who maybe nosey and snoop thru it and want your undies or sumthin:eek::D

I sailed the Glory on March 21st and got my liquor confiscated out of my checked luggage. First time in 5 cruises with Carnival.

When I got on the ship, I decided to buy a drink while waiting for my luggage to arrive. I ordered a whiskey sour. I got a small cup of sour...no whiskey that I could detect. 7 bucks...

When my luggage arrived, I opened it to find a letter that they had taken my whiskey and it would be returned the last night of the cruise. So on Monday, our first fun day at sea, it wasnt very fun for me. I broke down and ordered a burbon on the rocks. I got less than one shot over ice and it was $6.33. Forget that!

So, our first port in Cozumel, I bought a bottle of Crown and filled my hydration bladder and carried it right back on the boat. Im happy again...

Did it again in Honduras. Stayed happy the rest of the cruise. :D

Archived