Carnival is cracking down on smuggling

Krissta

[quote name='gail811']Here is a photo I snapped from my aft balcony in Ft. Lauderdale (I was on the Miracle) of the scanning process. Note the security person in the chair with the hooded sweatshirt over his/her head. On one end a guy threw the bag on the belt, it went through the machine and the guy on the other end hurled it into the red cage (with amazing accuracy) and sent it on it's way. And, everything in my bag made it to my cabin just fine ;)

[URL="http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2992431920064948802iiMOJX"][/URL][/quote]

Were you using rum runners or bottles?

[quote name='billnye97']Man this topic goes round and round on the forum here. It's easy order from Bon Voyage and be guaranteed that you have it. Try smuggling it and there is chance they confiscate it. Not a big deal. I'll probably just order from Bon Voyage and not have to worry about it. The prices aren't that bad from there.[/quote]

Do you have to call to order from bon voyage? When I looked online, I only saw wine available for ordering.

Ignore this question. I found the answer as I continued reading, but I can't figure out how to delete this message.

[quote name='maxamuus']That's ok we are thinking of doing Celebrity next cruise so we can buy a drink package and not be robbed blind by Carnival. We love Carnival but the packages Celebrity is offering sounds like a good deal.[/quote]
How much is the drink package ? I have neen on two Celebrity cruise's and never heard of this? It could sway me back over to them.

[quote name='waltersship']How much is the drink package ? I have neen on two Celebrity cruise's and never heard of this? It could sway me back over to them.[/QUOTE]

Beer is $34.50 per day. Liquor is $51.50. Frozen drinks are $22.00.

[quote name='billnye97']Man this topic goes round and round on the forum here. It's easy order from Bon Voyage and be guaranteed that you have it. Try smuggling it and there is chance they confiscate it. Not a big deal. I'll probably just order from Bon Voyage and not have to worry about it. The prices aren't that bad from there.[/quote]

We cruise the end of July, when should we order beer from Bon Voyage?

Are the confiscating liquor only or can I bring 1 bottle of wine for myself without a problem?

[quote name='disneylover89']We cruise the end of July, when should we order beer from Bon Voyage?

Are the confiscating liquor only or can I bring 1 bottle of wine for myself without a problem?[/quote]

The Liquor and Beverage Policy allows a person 21 or older to carry on one bottle (750ml) of wine.

Anything else is subject to confiscation, but liquor packed in checked luggage often makes it through.

I would make a Bon Voyage order at least a few weeks before the cruise.

[quote name='jaw7373']How did you like the aft on the Miracle? I am leaving in 28 days and have an aft as well.[/QUOTE]

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the aft! We usually book aft and try to get the corners. We had 4237 on the Miracle last March, just had 4230 (a 8M) in February, and when we first sailed her we had a suite midship. Aft wrap on the main deck is my favorite, followed by the cabin I just had.

[quote name='Cruise, J.D.']The Liquor and Beverage Policy allows a person 21 or older to carry on one bottle (750ml) of wine.

Anything else is subject to confiscation, but liquor packed in checked luggage often makes it through.

I would make a Bon Voyage order at least a few weeks before the cruise.[/quote]

Thnk you!

[quote name='msolberg']It was our 16th cruise and we had never heard of it either. It wasn't really a big deal other then it scared the begeesus out of her when she went to leave the ship and the security officer told her she had to return to her cabin for a message. She thought maybe someone in her family had died, so she was quite upset about that.

The customs agents were very nice and explained that she was randomly selected.

Diane[/QUOTE]

This does happen, when we were on the Freedom last year a friend of mine bought a ring in the gift shop that was about $1900.00 he was told that it was duty free but as we were getting off the ship at the station that you put your sail and sail in he was asked to follow a guard and taken to his bags then to a special customs area. he was asked if he had bought anything while on vacation he said no then the customs agent tap on a spread sheet with his name and a lot of others with amounts spent on board. He then said you know what my wife bought a ring at the gift shop. Customs agent yes she did for $1946.35 and you owe $XX.X in duty and taxes.
Moral to this story is remember they know every thing you buy on board and they do turn it in to customs.

Since the Detroit airline incident at Christmas security at airports, at US borders, by customs and on cruise ships has become more intensive. It's for all of our protection so if they find some booze in the process it's part of it. I'd rather have more intense security at embarcation than a terror incident on a cruise ship at sea.

[quote name='Crystalbast']I have absolutely no problem with Carnival cracking down on booze smugglers.[/quote]
I have absolutely no problem with being even more crafty that the most thorough booze police! :D

NCL has always been over-zealous in alcohol finding, and I have never been caught there. I have some really clever hiding techniques, which I have shared on various places on these boards.

Look, the fact is the ship has a HUGE volume of luggage to get moved on to the ship and delivered to your room. They have an equal amount that needs to move off the ship at the same time.

They simply do not have time nor manpower to be looking thoroughly for alcohol. Weapons, yes, but alcohol, no. They may see a bottle shape and tag it for inspection, but there are limits to how many bags they can fit into the inspection area, and limits to the amount of time it takes to search a bag by hand. They are not going to tag many bags.

People will continue to smuggle and I hope Carnival continues to focus on searching for weapons and clothes irons and not for alcohol.

I don't understand all the smuggling, I like my drinks as well but there is no way I could drink in a week what these folks take on board. For me buying my drinks from the bar is the way to go heck I am on vacation and sneeking around to save a buck is so child like.
All I can say keep smuggling and you will see an increase in cruise fares not just on beverages onboard.

[quote name='maxamuus']that's ok we are thinking of doing celebrity next cruise so we can buy a drink package and not be robbed blind by carnival. We love carnival but the packages celebrity is offering sounds like a good deal.[/quote]
the law says you allowed to bring in two liters per person

[quote name='gail811']Here is a photo I snapped from my aft balcony in Ft. Lauderdale (I was on the Miracle) of the scanning process. Note the security person in the chair with the hooded sweatshirt over his/her head. On one end a guy threw the bag on the belt, it went through the machine and the guy on the other end hurled it into the red cage (with amazing accuracy) and sent it on it's way. And, everything in my bag made it to my cabin just fine ;)

[URL="http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2992431920064948802iiMOJX"][IMG]http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/45909/2992431920064948802S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

Great Photo. Thanks for sharing.

So, let me get this straight....this is the screening process for alcohol packed in luggage? How do they know the difference between a bottle of mouthwash and a bottle of alcohol? I'm being really serious, not making a joke. What is it that they look for? The shape of the bottle, etc?

[quote name='Meredisney']Great Photo. Thanks for sharing.

So, let me get this straight....this is the screening process for alcohol packed in luggage? How do they know the difference between a bottle of mouthwash and a bottle of alcohol? I'm being really serious, not making a joke. What is it that they look for? The shape of the bottle, etc?[/quote]

That's a matter of National Security. Any further inquiry will land you on a no-fly list. ;) (And for the record, a lot of times they can't. On NCL I got called to the naughty room for a bottle of Clinique toner.)

[quote name='Krissta']Just got back from the Freedom (woo hoo!) and the night before we left, our room steward told us that this week, Fort Lauderdale is rolling out the "new" alcohol search policies. We got all of our stuff on, but the steward said that next time we could not bring any alcohol on, and if the luggage was locked, you'd get called to open the luggage up.

Welp... :|

Just passing along some info, not sure if anyone else heard the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Take my booze, loose your tip! I believe most cabin stewards know this.

Archived