Carnival is cracking down on smuggling

Krissta

Just got back from the Freedom (woo hoo!) and the night before we left, our room steward told us that this week, Fort Lauderdale is rolling out the "new" alcohol search policies. We got all of our stuff on, but the steward said that next time we could not bring any alcohol on, and if the luggage was locked, you'd get called to open the luggage up.

Welp... :|

Just passing along some info, not sure if anyone else heard the same thing.

That's ok we are thinking of doing Celebrity next cruise so we can buy a drink package and not be robbed blind by Carnival. We love Carnival but the packages Celebrity is offering sounds like a good deal.

I just got off the Dream last week and I think someone's cabin steward ratted soemone out. I saw a security officer walking down the hallway on one of the deck floors and he was carrying three large bottles of liquor.

I just got off the Dream last week and I think someone's cabin steward ratted soemone out. I saw a security officer walking down the hallway on one of the deck floors and he was carrying three large bottles of liquor.

Seems a little idiotic by the steward. Whatdya wanna bet that person removed their auto tips.

Just got back from the Freedom (woo hoo!) and the night before we left, our room steward told us that this week, Fort Lauderdale is rolling out the "new" alcohol search policies. We got all of our stuff on, but the steward said that next time we could not bring any alcohol on, and if the luggage was locked, you'd get called to open the luggage up.

But we are coming up on the spring break period....seems like they always make adjustments this time of year.

Does that matter?

Yes, if the person was being rowdy and obnoxious to fellow passengers. They lose their smuggled liquor priviledges.:D

It may be no coincidence that the alcohol crackdown coincides with Spring Break.

I think we should reserve judgement until after Spring Break ends to see if the alcohol crackdown is just a seasonal reaction to Spring Breakers.

Yes, if the person was being rowdy and obnoxious to fellow passengers. They lose their smuggled liquor priviledges.:D

It may be no coincidence that the alcohol crackdown coincides with Spring Break.

I think we should reserve judgement until after Spring Break ends to see if the alcohol crackdown is just a seasonal reaction to Spring Breakers.

If they were being rowdy and obnoxious, I doubt the steward had anything to do with it then. If they had already cut them off and noticed they were still drunk off their asses, then I imagine someone higher up had security search their room. But, my point was I can't see a steward ratting someone out.

That is unless he was really mean and obnoxious to the steward, then he might weigh his options: peace vs tip.

Last time on the Pride I brought Rum Runners with the following:

Bacardi White Rum

Capt. Morgan Spiced Rum

Triple Sec

Grapefruit Vodka

Patron

I tipped the Steward the first day, in the middle and the last night and never had a problem. But this time on the Dream, I am not taking a chance and ordering from Bon Voyage.

I don't see why anyone would get upset. Everyones known all along that there is a chance their smuggling would get caught. It's a risk they've taken for years. So if you get busted, well it shouldnt' be a surprise.

I don't think anyone IS upset... well, except maybe the guy who got his liquor taken away.

ETA: Nevermind, I misread what you wrote, thinking you meant WE were upset.

I don't think anyone IS upset... well, except maybe the guy who got his liquor taken away.

ETA: Nevermind, I misread what you wrote, thinking you meant WE were upset.

Perhaps the neighbor in the cabin next door was upset enough with the alcohol-induced noise to alert security.

If they were being rowdy and obnoxious, I doubt the steward had anything to do with it then. If they had already cut them off and noticed they were still drunk off their asses, then I imagine someone higher up had security search their room. But, my point was I can't see a steward ratting someone out.

That is unless he was really mean and obnoxious to the steward, then he might weigh his options: peace vs tip.

maybe Carnival instituted a whistle blower policy and the steward makes out better even with his tops removed.:cool:

Bill

Let's see, I am on the Carnival Dream which holds thousands of passengers. We all lock our luggage and while 3000 people head downstairs to unlock their luggage, the Lido deck should be so empty that there will be no buffet line. I wonder how long that takes and maybe we should combine the exodus to the naughty room with the muster drill. After all, that's where everyone will be for hours...

Here is a photo I snapped from my aft balcony in Ft. Lauderdale (I was on the Miracle) of the scanning process. Note the security person in the chair with the hooded sweatshirt over his/her head. On one end a guy threw the bag on the belt, it went through the machine and the guy on the other end hurled it into the red cage (with amazing accuracy) and sent it on it's way. And, everything in my bag made it to my cabin just fine ;)

2992431920064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

We just got off the Dream and our friend was selected for a random custom check in St. Thomas. They explained that it was purely random and happens after visiting another country. There were several Customs Agents that went through everything. They did have liquor confiscated during the check I'm guessing there were also ship security present and they were the ones that confiscated the liquor.

Diane

So during the cruise custom agents entered their stateroom and went through their things? I have never heard of that happening before!

It certainly can happen. Not for alcohol, but it's rather common in Bermuda for the local police to take drug dogs in the halls. If they smell something coming from a room, they have it opened. If the smell comes from the safe, that is opened as well. The occupants of the cabin do not need to be present.

Just got off the Carnival Imagination on March 5/2010. I walk on with a soft sided cooler with 6 beer in it. Never hid it. Infact it was in a carnval imagination cooler bag I purchased from Carnival in December...

four of my friends filled 6 water bottles with vodka and walked right in with that.

In Mexico I bought a 40oz bottle of Kahlau, came back to the ship , put it through the scanner and they didn't even hold it until the end of the cruise.

In there are tighter rules in affect, it was a piss poor job they were doing! Everything was in the open and nothing was hidden. it seems there is too much scaring going on....

Charleyann

The Steward mis-spoke. If checked luggage is locked and X-Ray detects something, only then will you be called to unlock the luggage for inspection. ken

We were on the Dream 20-27 western. 5 cabins 10 checked suitcases all containing "extra" all came through just fine. also when we returned from our excursion in Belize we had Cashew wine in our beachbag and it went through the scanner no problem. My dd and sil CARRIED 2 bottles onboard and told them they had it and they were told "thats ok" but we heard at supper that someone had theirs held so it makes a differnce who's manning the station I guess!

Archived