POESIA-Feb 20-March 6(Good,Bad,Ugly)

MTL=CRUISEFAMILY

I definitely don't want to miss any of the shows, they all sound so good. I think my kids will love them. Is the talent show adults only performing? This sis great having someone with firsthand knowledge.

I definitely don't want to miss any of the shows, they all sound so good. I think my kids will love them. Is the talent show adults only performing? This sis great having someone with firsthand knowledge.

By all means go to the TALENT show, it is for all, you will have wannabe singers, ballroom dancers, guitar/singing, the most enjoyable was a retired elderly gentleman who did stand up, hilarious.

The movies are run late night and they are for adults. They are not child related movies at that time and we were thankful for that. They do have movies shown in your cabin if you need more G rated.

WE also had 7 courses: Soup, salad, appetizer, pasta, main dish, dessert and then cheese. That is 7!

And for food at 2:01 pm: how about room service. Even after coming back from an excursion at 4 we got our order within 20 min. It consists of a menu that does not change but has enough to pick from. Salad( 2 types) fruit, sandwich with chips, brownie with chocolate sauce, and there were a few other items.

I am glad someone answered MSC=Family since whenever I answer it seems to cause a big rock throwing contest here.

The movies are run late night and they are for adults. They are not child related movies at that time and we were thankful for that. They do have movies shown in your cabin if you need more G rated.

WE also had 7 courses: Soup, salad, appetizer, pasta, main dish, dessert and then cheese. That is 7!

And for food at 2:01 pm: how about room service. Even after coming back from an excursion at 4 we got our order within 20 min. It consists of a menu that does not change but has enough to pick from. Salad( 2 types) fruit, sandwich with chips, brownie with chocolate sauce, and there were a few other items.

I am glad someone answered MSC=Family since whenever I answer it seems to cause a big rock throwing contest here.

No rocks here!

I simply want to give my opinion as anyone else has the right, therefor will explain my opinion:

IN MY OPINION. an appetizer, soup, salad may be grouped in one (you may call them 3 courses and choose one of each, and I WILL RESPECT THAT. Same as dessert or cheese assortment. IF I LED ANYONE TO BELIEVE THERE WAS A LACK OF SELECTION, I APOLOGIZE. THAT WASN'T MY POINT

On our sailing the ship was full (3000+) lots of kids the 2nd week, Can you imagine if lets say 1000 to 1500 people who went off the boat and came back on in late afternoon ordered from room service? Room service is an absolute last resort, not an option.

Movies: MSC offers kids sail free, and there were plenty of them, could there have been some adjustment to the movies shown? My kids are on vacation too, I wasn't going to lock them in our room to watch a movie on t.v, even if the movies did start at 10 ish.

See no rocks....I enjoy an exchange of ideas, AS LONG AS EVERYONE REMAINS RESPECTFUL.

Poesia-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Poesia 14 day East and West Caribbean

We sailed back to back, east and west Caribbean Feb 20-March 7th

Having sailed the MSC Lirica last year, we were pretty much expecting a similar experience, but on a new, larger ship. We were not disappointed in a whole, there are some points that could have been better.

The Good

The ship is impressive, large, clean, decor is elegant (marble, brass, rich plush, color combos are tasteful)

Cabins are adequate, and workable, we are a family of 4 with 2 young kids. Plenty of storage, suitcases fit under bottom beds, lots of hangers and drawers.

Food was overall good, being of Italian descent; I knew what to order and was familiar with preparation. Note: most of the food is prepared so that you add or do not add your preference of salt, and pepper. If you order the steaks or any meats it is often over cooked, we caught on and simply adjusted i.e.: if you want well done, order medium well.

Buffet selection was adequate at lunch; grill side was too, large salad counter.

Evening pizza on deck 13 was very good.

Check open and close times for food. MSC does not have 24 hr food availability, the daily itinerary clearly points out these times (typically only 1-2 block outs)

The lounges were large, comfortable and you wanted to stick around to catch what was on next. Zebra bar in particular is the largest most animated of the lounges (carnival, dancing, animation team activities etc)

Shows were good, not great. We preferred the shows on last year's cruise, where there were more Cirque du Soleil type shows, aerialist, dancers etc. The entertainment this year was more singing, group dancing, or theme oriented.

The theater is absolutely beautiful, seats comfortable and visually captivating.

Main dining room staff are Indonesian, hard working servers, never had an issue. Cabin stewards do a good job too, never needed to request anything for our room, always clean and ready.

Ports

San Juan is a beautiful city; walk to the fort, the view towards the ocean is worth it. Lots of small boutiques along the way

St.Maartens. Walked to the nearby beach (10 minutes) calm water, clean sand, restos nearby, small shops too.

Tortola. Took an Island tour, the views from atop the mountains are breathtaking.

Nassau. (1 st week)Short tour of the Atlantis (impressive) and headed to nearby Cabbage beach (a bit crowded, the Oasis was also at port)

. (2nd week)took a 10 min. bus ride to Cable beach, nice beach, calm waves, only 30-40 people on the beach)

Key West. Beautiful little town, lots to see, lots of shops, bars, sailboats. Walked the small streets.

Cozumel. Poesia did not stop at Playa del Carmen, nor has it stopped yet this season, and it is not because of poor weather, water conditions, we were informed from Italian speaking ship employees we befriended, that the port at Playa is unstable, sandy and docking there is somewhat problematic (they state Playa in all internet ads, but apparently other lines are avoiding it too (cannot confirm) Cozumel was not impressive, pushy vendors, taxi drivers, shops) We made a short stop at Paradise beach, and were harassed constantly to buy food, drinks etc.

Cayman Island. Unfortunately, the day we arrived, there were very high winds and it is a tender port, excursions were cancelled, as they were unsure of the weather and water conditions in late afternoon. Taking this decision and testing the tenders took almost 1 and a half hours (Not just MSC, but 3 Carnival ships too) we did end up getting off but only for 2 hours)

Montego Bay. Early morning rain impeded us from going to the beach, so we opted for an Island tour, and glad we did, very nice overview of the city.

The Bad

I preface the following 2 sections with the intent not to offend any nationality; it is simply my observations of what I saw.

The buffet lines are long, and lineups can be challenging. Many Europeans did not observe the line process, choosing to cut in line wherever they pleased.

Service is not a forte. Front desk, unless you are able to communicate in Italian (I had no issues, and was quickly taken care of at each request) but did notice that others were treated less than polite, very curt answers, or we cannot accommodate etc)

Cafeteria staff: particularly the Romanian servers, very cold, and sometimes rude to some.

Entertainment crew not as interactive as last year, not as fun unfortunately.

Hostesses that directed the back to back process (re embarkation after first week, were not well informed and had us needlessly line up in 3 different lines to get us through customs

The UGLY

Germans would sit on the deck lounges near the pool, even if you have a towel reserving the place (and we were sitting next to it!)The response was, do you want your towel back?) Huh?

Overall, we loved the islands, had fantastic weather (30-38 almost every day)

My kids had fun at the pools and other venues. We relaxed and had a god time. We took the opportunity to speak to a lot of other travelers, who have tried other lines and many did not give MSC highest praise overall, but noted that all the lines will have shortcomings in one area r another, it all depends on what YOU expect from a cruise. We are not fussy; we are easy going and make the best of any situation. We ate well, were entertained, saw some great islands. The small differences, we were told by some who travelled on other lines was price. Many noted that the same trip would have cost them up to $1500 more. MSC offers kids sail free program. If you can go with the flow and not overly demanding you do get value for your money. Many we spoke to did not make the link and were determined to have a miserable time, because they did not get chocolates on their pillow, food was not available 24hrs and did not have friendly wait staff that interacted with them.

Foul smell on deck 13 (pool area) sometimes got a whiff, not pretty, was told it was the pool, sewage, never got a straight answer. In 14 days, maybe 10-15 minutes total.

We will try other lines next. NCL and Princess came up very often in discussion, as relaxed cruising and lots of little extras.

Would I cruise MSC again? Absolutely.

Please feel free to ask questions I will be glad to offer my observations...

Hi;

Also being of italian descent we are very excited to go on this cruise. Can you tell me if there are many italian dishes on the menu.

Thanks.

At dinner there is the Italian side of the menu that has up to 7 courses featuring a different region of Italy each night. there is also a Stars and Stripes side. You will have no problem at all finding Italian dishes (and wines)

Hi;

Also being of italian descent we are very excited to go on this cruise. Can you tell me if there are many italian dishes on the menu.

Thanks.

All dishes are authentic Italian dishes, not the fast food that is microwaveable, lots of sauces, if you enjoy typical italian food, pastas, osso buco, fish, you wont be disappointed.

Don`t be misled by any bad posts, being Italian American The menu`s for dinner are a selection of different regions of Italia every night & are quite good. Be sure to go to the specialty Italian restaurant which is excecellent. For lunch I recommend you check out all stations, the sausage is fantastic, midweek they offer calamari fried & in a great salad. Be astute & look at everything before you choose, check out all the diiferent stations & the pizza is great, Sicilian at lunch & neapolitan at dinner. Enjoy!!

No rocks here!

I simply want to give my opinion as anyone else has the right, therefor will explain my opinion:

IN MY OPINION. an appetizer, soup, salad may be grouped in one (you may call them 3 courses and choose one of each, and I WILL RESPECT THAT. Same as dessert or cheese assortment. IF I LED ANYONE TO BELIEVE THERE WAS A LACK OF SELECTION, I APOLOGIZE. THAT WASN'T MY POINT

On our sailing the ship was full (3000+) lots of kids the 2nd week, Can you imagine if lets say 1000 to 1500 people who went off the boat and came back on in late afternoon ordered from room service? Room service is an absolute last resort, not an option.

Movies: MSC offers kids sail free, and there were plenty of them, could there have been some adjustment to the movies shown? My kids are on vacation too, I wasn't going to lock them in our room to watch a movie on t.v, even if the movies did start at 10 ish.

See no rocks....I enjoy an exchange of ideas, AS LONG AS EVERYONE REMAINS RESPECTFUL.

Just because "you" don't call it a course doesn't mean it does not exist. An appetizer is 1 course, a soup is a 2nd, salad is 3rd and so on. It's really not that hard to understand. Sorry if I'm harsh but after experiencing our cruise last week it's really annoying to see people throw around completely false information and giving people here who are looking for ANSWERS the wrong idea. Sorry for my major run-on sentence.

Again, there is food available 24/7 just NOT in the buffet. Room service is an option...Just because it's not *your* idea of a "good option" doesn't make it bad. We never waited longer than 15 minutes for our room service...I do wish they'd put a couple more options though.

Just because "you" don't call it a course doesn't mean it does not exist. An appetizer is 1 course, a soup is a 2nd, salad is 3rd and so on. It's really not that hard to understand. Sorry if I'm harsh but after experiencing our cruise last week it's really annoying to see people throw around completely false information and giving people here who are looking for ANSWERS the wrong idea. Sorry for my major run-on sentence.

Again, there is food available 24/7 just NOT in the buffet. Room service is an option...Just because it's not *your* idea of a "good option" doesn't make it bad. We never waited longer than 15 minutes for our room service...I do wish they'd put a couple more options though.

I AM COPYING PARTS OF YOUR REVIEW JUST SO I GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT

I think part of the problem is their buffet hours...People know they only have this specified window of time to eat at the buffet, so I think people feel a bit rushed and everyone gathers in there at the same time. They do publish the buffet hours, so it should be obvious to everyone - but there were still times when I thought to myself that I'd like to gorge myself and go for some more of that pasta or a hamburger before dinner but couldn't because it was closed down.

How is that different from what I stated? That many would have apreciated longer availability at the BUFFET, your response was you could have had room service....lets read on...

Then, one morning we accidentally slept in *just* past breakfast time and we couldn't eat until the buffet opened again at 12:00. We were able to order room service but there is not a lot to choose from (toast, muffin or yogurt). That was a bit of a bummer...

....seems your OPTION, as you called it was not that great after all.

I know what was on the room service menu, and most will agree that it may be o.k, but not enough to satisfy an appetite, especialy if you went off ship early in the morning.

For the record, I TOO ENJOYED MY CRUISE, and knew exactly what we were getting because I had cruised MSC last year. As for the 5-6-7 course meal, I feel I corrected that in a previous post, yet you insist on slamming.

Many forget what these forums are, it is to answers questions, and give opinion, negative or positive on what you experienced, your response of throwing around false statements is incorrect. We were on ship for 14days and had a very enjoyable time, relaxed and felt we had our moneys worth, is there room for improvement, of course, as there is in any other line.

Good for you MSC=FAMILY!

I think part of the problem is their buffet hours...People know they only have this specified window of time to eat at the buffet, so I think people feel a bit rushed and everyone gathers in there at the same time. They do publish the buffet hours, so it should be obvious to everyone - but there were still times when I thought to myself that I'd like to gorge myself and go for some more of that pasta or a hamburger before dinner but couldn't because it was closed down.

How is that different from what I stated? That many would have apreciated longer availability at the BUFFET, your response was you could have had room service....lets read on...

Then, one morning we accidentally slept in *just* past breakfast time and we couldn't eat until the buffet opened again at 12:00. We were able to order room service but there is not a lot to choose from (toast, muffin or yogurt). That was a bit of a bummer...

I know what was on the room service menu, and most will agree that it may be o.k, but not enough to satisfy an appetite, especialy if you went off ship early in the morning.

For the record, I TOO ENJOYED MY CRUISE, and knew exactly what we were getting because I had cruised MSC last year. As for the 5-6-7 course meal, I feel I corrected that in a previous post, yet you insist on slamming.

Many forget what these forums are, it is to answers questions, and give opinion, negative or positive on what you experienced, your response of throwing around false statements is incorrect. We were on ship for 14days and had a very enjoyable time, relaxed and felt we had our moneys worth, is there room for improvement, of course, as there is in any other line.

The part that is COMPLETELY going over your head is that they DO OFFER FOOD 24/7. You have stated twice now that they don't. That is false information and it is so annoying. Is it ideal? No...but you acted like because it's not ideal then it doesn't count, therefore "no 24/7 food".

Yes, this forum is to answer questions. If you want to contribute, please answer them correctly...Telling unknowing people that there is no food available 24/7 makes people feel as though they are going to starve and will have no options. It's not true...Heck, I got stuck one morning (as you can see) and missed breakfast but I did not starve because there was room service. Not my idea of the awesome breakfast I would have gotten at the buffet, but it was fine.

That's all I'm saying...Answer the questions, just be truthful.

ETA: I agreed with you on many points. I'm not here trying to slam you...I'm just trying to correct points that you made that could potentially mislead a lot of people. Having to order room service is not ideal, I really think MSC should either extend their buffet hours -- the day I missed breakfast the buffet had closed at 9:30 instead of 10. Looking at the room service of toast, muffins & yogurt was totally not my idea of a good breakfast and I was pretty annoyed that they closed early as well.

The part that is COMPLETELY going over your head is that they DO OFFER FOOD 24/7. You have stated twice now that they don't. That is false information and it is so annoying. Is it ideal? No...but you acted like because it's not ideal then it doesn't count, therefore "no 24/7 food".

[COLOR="Red"]Yes, this forum is to answer questions. If you want to contribute, please answer them correctly...Telling unknowing people that there is no food available 24/7 makes people feel as though they are going to starve and will have no options.

OK Technically food is available 24/7,

My point is, as you mentioned, this forum is to contribute and make people aware, our exchange certainly did this

As for certain cruisers who do not do reasearch, and expect either the buffet/cafeteria/grill station or resto to be open 24/7, it is not, only ROOM SERVICE WITH LIMITED ITEMS AVAILABE is the option should you miss the open hours at the food stations.[/color]

Even though MSC offers free kids on each sailing does not mean they need to cater to the children at 10 pm movie under the stars night! AS a matter of fact since they are FREE and half the tip rate I am glad they do not !

They have plenty to do with 2 arts and crafts each day, mini golf, tennis, basketball, ping pong, fooseball...... They do have a kids club also which run into the night.

Everyone thinks that sine MSC offers kids free they should cater totally to the unpaying guests.... this makes no sense to me. They give families an opportunity to be cost effective to bring your children on a cruise..hats off to them for doing this since all other cruise lines charge even for babies! Other than what the ship offers why expect now more for the kids? It is adult entertainment that they should focus on since we are the paying guests.

As far as salad and soup etc.... on our 10 day menu they were separated with a different salad choice each night. I did look at the other menus posted and it was different. You still can order appetizer, soup and salad...

no one ever stops people from ordering what ever they want. Maybe you limited yourself because of how the menu is set up.

Room service was fine at 4 pm with a line to get back onto the ship I am sure everyone was hungry too.... and we got our order within 20 minutes.

There are wonderful Italian melt in your mouth dishes that are prepared fresh without heavy seasoning and allow the food flavor to be enjoyed. I witnessed so many people with the salt shaker shaking it so many times( way too much salt) before even trying the food. We enjoyed it totally like it was served. Light and delicious. Many of the dishes were outstanding.

Even though MSC offers free kids on each sailing does not mean they need to cater to the children at 10 pm movie under the stars night! AS a matter of fact since they are FREE and half the tip rate I am glad they do not !

They have plenty to do with 2 arts and crafts each day, mini golf, tennis, basketball, ping pong, fooseball...... They do have a kids club also which run into the night.

Everyone thinks that sine MSC offers kids free they should cater totally to the unpaying guests.... this makes no sense to me. They give families an opportunity to be cost effective to bring your children on a cruise..hats off to them for doing this since all other cruise lines charge even for babies! Other than what the ship offers why expect now more for the kids? It is adult entertainment that they should focus on since we are the paying guests.

As far as salad and soup etc.... on our 10 day menu they were separated with a different salad choice each night. I did look at the other menus posted and it was different. You still can order appetizer, soup and salad...

no one ever stops people from ordering what ever they want. Maybe you limited yourself because of how the menu is set up.

Room service was fine at 4 pm with a line to get back onto the ship I am sure everyone was hungry too.... and we got our order within 20 minutes.

There are wonderful Italian melt in your mouth dishes that are prepared fresh without heavy seasoning and allow the food flavor to be enjoyed. I witnessed so many people with the salt shaker shaking it so many times( way too much salt) before even trying the food. We enjoyed it totally like it was served. Light and delicious. Many of the dishes were outstanding.

Costa also has a Kids Sail Free program. NCL has done Kid's Free cruises as well.

The parents of the children on MSC are also paying guests and their wants are as important as yours.

Costa also has a Kids Sail Free program. NCL has done Kid's Free cruises as well.

The parents of the children on MSC are also paying guests and their wants are as important as yours.

But...this isn't Disney.

It's not like "Porn Under The Stars". They showed cute, PG-13 movies.

But...this isn't Disney.

Who compared it to Disney? Certainly not me. I know what I'm getting into. My kids are not going on a cruise to watch movies, that is for sure. I believe the original person that brought up the movies was disappointed that a rated R movie was shown.

Did you read the post I responded to AshNicole?

But...this isn't Disney.

The movie I refered to was the INVENTION OF LYING, within the first 5 minutes there is a scene where the main character picks up his date at her apartment and she goes on at lenghth that she needs to pleasure herself befor going out with him, because they wil not be having sex...

...that AshNicole IS NOT APROPRIATE in my opinion to be viewed by a younger audience, and therefor we left..

... wether they are paying clients or not, is not the point , the deck is an open area, why should my kids be deprived of certain activities.

Poesia-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Poesia 14 day East and West Caribbean

We sailed back to back, east and west Caribbean Feb 20-March 7th

Having sailed the MSC Lirica last year, we were pretty much expecting a similar experience, but on a new, larger ship. We were not disappointed in a whole, there are some points that could have been better.

The UGLY

Germans would sit on the deck lounges near the pool, even if you have a towel reserving the place (and we were sitting next to it!)The response was, do you want your towel back?) Huh?

Overall, we loved the islands, had fantastic weather (30-38 almost every day)

My kids had fun at the pools and other venues. We relaxed and had a god time. We took the opportunity to speak to a lot of other travelers, who have tried other lines and many did not give MSC highest praise overall, but noted that all the lines will have shortcomings in one area r another, it all depends on what YOU expect from a cruise. We are not fussy; we are easy going and make the best of any situation. We ate well, were entertained, saw some great islands. The small differences, we were told by some who travelled on other lines was price. Many noted that the same trip would have cost them up to $1500 more. MSC offers kids sail free program. If you can go with the flow and not overly demanding you do get value for your money. Many we spoke to did not make the link and were determined to have a miserable time, because they did not get chocolates on their pillow, food was not available 24hrs and did not have friendly wait staff that interacted with them.

Foul smell on deck 13 (pool area) sometimes got a whiff, not pretty, was told it was the pool, sewage, never got a straight answer. In 14 days, maybe 10-15 minutes total.

Would I cruise MSC again? Absolutely.

Please feel free to ask questions I will be glad to offer my observations...

Thank you for your balanced review. I really appreciated your comments, as we have cruised Lirica previously, like you did, and I am considering Poesia.

I loved Lirica. However, my husband has no desire to cruise with them again because of poor management and the lack of any attempt to enforce the ship's rules and the resultant rude and uncivilised behaviour by a number of European cruisers.

As I'm considering cruising with Poesia, do you think these problems - many of which you mentioned in your review - were compounded by the larger size of the Poesia?

Thank you for your balanced review. I really appreciated your comments, as we have cruised Lirica previously, like you did, and I am considering Poesia.

I loved Lirica. However, my husband has no desire to cruise with them again because of poor management and the lack of any attempt to enforce the ship's rules and the resultant rude and uncivilised behaviour by a number of European cruisers.

As I'm considering cruising with Poesia, do you think these problems - many of which you mentioned in your review - were compounded by the larger size of the Poesia?

We were invited to the captain's welcome for msc past cruisers (msc club members) which was nice, cocktails etc, Captain Giacomo Romano, who also had the LIRICA last year said it best, He too prefered the smaller ship, more intimate, more interaction by the staff. As for us we fuly recommend the Poesia, if you enjoyed the Lirica, this ship will be a treat, this is a stunning ship.

My family and I chose to have fun!....all the small items are not enough to discount this experience, as a matter of fact I kept saying that I could have stayed a few more weeks.

Knowing that there are always a bunch of yahoos anywhere you go, land or sea, will make it more tolerable.

We avoided any negative cruisers, just got up and left, avoided loudmouths, trust me there is plenty to do and plenty to distract yourself with. If you have a positive attitude, you will not be disappointed

If you want G type movies and entertainment you should cruise Disney.

Why should we have to watch children movies because you want to bring your kids?:confused:

So Disney should be the only option to those who have kids?

MSC encourages families with kids by letting them on free...that assumes a certain level of responsability, not only for movies but for all their offerings..same can be said for the kids area, kids club, kids pool (its not Disney, why have them?)...they have them because they want us (parents) to cruise with them, and spend some money onboard, this makes up for the kids sail free.

We were invited to the captain's welcome for msc past cruisers (msc club members) which was nice, cocktails etc, Captain Giacomo Romano, who also had the LIRICA last year said it best, He too prefered the smaller ship, more intimate, more interaction by the staff. As for us we fuly recommend the Poesia, if you enjoyed the Lirica, this ship will be a treat, this is a stunning ship.

My family and I chose to have fun!....all the small items are not enough to discount this experience, as a matter of fact I kept saying that I could have stayed a few more weeks.

Knowing that there are always a bunch of yahoos anywhere you go, land or sea, will make it more tolerable.

We avoided any negative cruisers, just got up and left, avoided loudmouths, trust me there is plenty to do and plenty to distract yourself with. If you have a positive attitude, you will not be disappointed

Thank you so much for your response - much appreciated.

I always take the attitude that no-one can MAKE ME feel anything. That I am responsible for my own response, hence I choose to take the "ignore, ignore, ignore" attitude.

However, it really did spoil my husband's cruise and I can understand why from his point of view. Fortunately, he loves books so spent a lot of time reading and relaxing in our cabin.

So Disney should be the only option to those who have kids?

MSC encourages families with kids by letting them on free...that assumes a certain level of responsability, not only for movies but for all their offerings..same can be said for the kids area, kids club, kids pool (its not Disney, why have them?)...they have them because they want us (parents) to cruise with them, and spend some money onboard, this makes up for the kids sail free.

Bringing your kids also imparts responsibility on the parents part, don't assume all parts of the ship are "G" rated at all times.

I don't think they intend the ship or the kids programs to be a babysitter.

Bringing your kids also imparts responsibility on the parents part, don't assume all parts of the ship are "G" rated at all times.

I don't think they intend the ship or the kids programs to be a babysitter.

I can't agree with you more! Zambini said it better than I.

You did what you should have. If you didn't like the movie or thought it was inappropriate, then don't watch the movie or leave. If you knew it was rated R, then some foul language and sexual situations are to be expected, right? You have to take some kind of responsibility here, if you find movies like these to be so offending.

Archived