What if We are NOT Formal?

AFT_LOVER

With 21" carryons per person, no gown or tux packed. Husband is Dockers & polos & I am slacks with tops, NO JEANS.

We are no BUFFET people, appreciate a table for 2 but will do 4 if we have to. WE ARE BOOKED FOR ANYTIME DINING and told it is for country club casual. She stated Traditional is formalwear heaven.

With 21" carryons per person, no gown or tux packed. Husband is Dockers & polos & I am slacks with tops, NO JEANS.

We are no BUFFET people, appreciate a table for 2 but will do 4 if we have to. WE ARE BOOKED FOR ANYTIME DINING and told it is for country club casual. She stated Traditional is formalwear heaven.

Bad information, the dress code is the same for both traditional and anytime.

If you hubby can manage to toss a sport jacket, dress shirt and tie in with the dockers he will be ok on the formal nights, although some sticklers will insist a suit or tux only will do. I see no problem for you with a dressy top and nice slacks.

Table for two will not be a problem but be prepared to wait at peak times. They give you a pager device so you can wander around while waiting.

Have a great cruise!!!

She gave you wrong information. The dining rooms all follow the same dress code and are formal on formal evenings.

You can take advantage of the specialty restaurants (for a charge) that are always smart casual or the International cafe, vines, trident grill or the pizza. (since you don't do buffets)

Mike:)

Better skip formal nights!You may feel just a little awkward sitting with everyone else who is wearing proper attire for the formal night.If your not a "buffet" person,try eating in your room for something different.

You can take advantage of the specialty restaurants (for a charge) that are always smart casual......

It looks like this is starting to change. On the Coral there we signs at both of the specialty restaurants reminding people of the dress code for formal nights.

It looks like this is starting to change. On the Coral there we signs at both of the specialty restaurants reminding people of the dress code for formal nights.

That is strange but it has been reported by other cruises.

Corporate policy changed as of January 2009 and it is stated on the Princess website and also in pre-cruise emails that specialty restaurants are always smart casual.

The Coral (and reported Ruby) must be out of touch with the home office.:D

That is strange but it has been reported by other cruises.

Corporate policy changed as of January 2009 and it is stated on the Princess website and also in pre-cruise emails that specialty restaurants are always smart casual.

The Coral (and reported Ruby) must be out of touch with the home office.:D

Mike,

We will be on the Ruby on the 20th, and will check it out then. To be honest, I was very surprised to see those signs on the Coral in Nov/Dec.

I would be tempted to print out your pre-cruise email stating that specialty restaurants are always smart casual and if the Ruby is requiring formal wear, present it and ask "What gives?"

Either way, they need to be consistent so passengers will be prepared.

Anytime Dining Rooms and Traditional are the same for Smart Casual and Formal Nights. On smart casual, you actually can wear 'dress' jeans. Just not frayed or holed jeans.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

•Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

•Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

•Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

•Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

I didn't notice whether or not there were signs. But the first day on the Ruby I went to Crown Grill to make reservations and asked what the dress code was on formal nights in the specialty restaurants and they assured me it was indeed formal attire.

I didn't notice whether or not there were signs. But the first day on the Ruby I went to Crown Grill to make reservations and asked what the dress code was on formal nights in the specialty restaurants and they assured me it was indeed formal attire.

Precisely what I am referring to. The Coral and Ruby are requiring formal dress in their specialty restaurants while most of the fleet is not and corporate states that smart casual is the proper dress.

Could we just have a little consistency, please.:eek:

Precisely what I am referring to. The Coral and Ruby are requiring formal dress in their specialty restaurants while most of the fleet is not and corporate states that smart casual is the proper dress.

Come on Mike you know that ain't happening. :(

Wrong info.. We were on the Ruby this past January and decided to not go formal. I checked with Head waiters in the Crown Grill and Sabitini's and was told that formal dress was not necessary as long as you were wearing a long sleeved shirt. I wore slacks, white shirt and a black cashmere sweater with no problem.

You were told wrong. Anytime dining has the same dress requirements as Traditional.

I am in awe of you and your husband traveling with small carryons. We fly standby so usually travel that way, except for cruises. We would like to try traveling light on a cruise someday. It must be challenging to pack, but so much less hassle.

Wrong info.. We were on the Ruby this past January and decided to not go formal. I checked with Head waiters in the Crown Grill and Sabitini's and was told that formal dress was not necessary as long as you were wearing a long sleeved shirt. I wore slacks, white shirt and a black cashmere sweater with no problem.

Maybe they have finally softened a little, as many have reported that The Ruby was still requiring formal wear on formal evenings before this January in their specialty restaurants.

Just go in the khakis and a nice shirt.....they wont turn you away....There are not very many tux's most are in suits and ties.....I wouldnt worry about it too much.....Just go and be happy. For the record, I usually wear a tux for the first formal night and a suit and tie for the other. We like to dress up.

I don't know who the "she" is, but the dress code is the same in Traditional and Anytime Dining. For a 7 night cruise there will be 5 smart casual nights and 2 formal nights.

What you said is fine, but definitely have hubby wear a sport coat on the plane, easy to wear when boarding and getting off the plane, fold once and stow in the overhead during flight. No space in carry-on needed.

P.S. I like you! I bet you either grew up flying or you or hubby fly on a regular basis for work related reasons. I have never checked a bag in my life having grown up in a family of pilots. Try flying Boston to Los Angeles (BOS>IAD>ORD>DEN>LAX) on last minute standby, not knowhing which plane you're getting on until 20 seconds before the door closes. I could go on a 21 day north pole adventure and fit it all into one carry-on. It's like the 11th commandment ..you just don't check bags, period. :)

As you know from previous posts the anytime dining room has the same dress as traditional and you will be fine dressed the way you described on formal evenings & your husband can get by without the jacket provided he has a long sleeve shirt. Don't be intimidated to eat at the buffet since you'll miss out on some of the better meals.

On casual nights a pair of jeans or Dockers and polo is fine.

What you said is fine, but definitely have hubby wear a sport coat on the plane, easy to wear when boarding and getting off the plane, fold once and stow in the overhead during flight. No space in carry-on needed.

P.S. I like you! I bet you either grew up flying or you or hubby fly on a regular basis for work related reasons. I have never checked a bag in my life having grown up in a family of pilots. Try flying Boston to Los Angeles (BOS>IAD>ORD>DEN>LAX) on last minute standby, not knowhing which plane you're getting on until 20 seconds before the door closes. I could go on a 21 day north pole adventure and fit it all into one carry-on. It's like the 11th commandment ..you just don't check bags, period. :)

I am a mere 3 hour drive away. HELP!!!!:D:D:D

I would not worry about your husband not taking a jacket...We are sailing on the Coral Princess and my husband is wearing long sleeve shirt, black slacks and tie...They will not turn you away at the dining room...Some people like formal dress, we did it for years but now with luggage restrictions and being retired we prefer to be more casual

Archived