Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?

sail7seas

Now back to the subject matter!:

Two more for keeping formal nights! We like the idea of dressing up for dinner and then afterward doing some dancing at the 'Senior's Prom'.

A few years ago we joined the Coterie, which is a formal dance club that was formed in 1948. Some believe it is the oldest formal dance club in America that has been in continuous existence. Now all the formal wear we've purchased over the years for our cruises are not just hanging in our closet until our next cruise. Our last cruise was on a ship that didn't require formal attire on it's 'Cruise Elegant' nights, however we wore ours anyway!;);)

We can relate, we belong to two ballroom clubs and take lessons once a week. But we really look forward to dancing on a cruise especially when other dance friends go along. We have met some excellent dancers from other areas as well, it's interesting to see the different styles and steps they bring to the floor. Much like you we have a ton of formal wear and would really hate to see formal evenings go away.

I spent a couple of weeks at a factory school in Evansville decades ago, and found out that your beer freezes if you leave it on your balcony. As a Texas boy I was impressed with your supper clubs where dining and dancing were offered.

Twinkletoes, I'm sure most of us have our furbies we miss on a cruise. The dog always misses us and is happy we're back, and the cat pretends to. But as Mark Twain said, "cats can lie!"

In the eighteen months between our two cruises, the airlines began their new stringent baggage policies and fees. My husband has two tuxedos of his own, so wearing one is not exciting to him. I enjoy dressing up a little, but don't really care much one way or the other. On our second cruise, the destination was tropical, and the purpose was for my husband to relax totally for 10 days. I didn't even pack a tie for him. He had some very nice casual outfits that were at the dressy end of the spectrum, and we ate in the Lido on formal nites. He wears a suit every work day, so dressing up would NOT be a vacation for him. There are so many things to take into account for every person for each trip, that I am not offended by those who don't go formal. These people should stay out of the MDR on those nites, or a dress policy banning shorts, t-shirts, jeans, etc. should be made. Thanks for all the comments--they have made interesting reading.;)

Twinkletoes, I'm sure most of us have our furbies we miss on a cruise. The dog always misses us and is happy we're back, and the cat pretends to. But as Mark Twain said, "cats can lie!"

Our cats will sit on the suitcases when we get them out to pack. They know something is up! That's a great quote ... and true! Your dog probably spins in circles with happiness when you return!

I'm sorry to hear about your furbaby. We have three Ragdoll cats and we love them so. We lost a cat 7 years ago very suddenly (he had a blood clot). I cried for years. I can now look at his picture without breaking down in tears, but I couldn't do that for a long time. I know they are cats, but they still are my babies. :) They worm their way into our hearts and it breaks our hearts when they pass. But I can't imagine not having cats in my life.

Now, to show you just how crazy I can be ... lol

When we were coming home from our last cruise, I decided to call the "boys" and tell them Meowmy was on her way home. The flight before us just loaded, so the area was empty ... or so I thought. I called home and left a message ... This is mommy and I'll be there soon. Then I started meowing. I looked up and there was this woman looking at me. lol I said I was leaving a message for my cats. She looked at me and went to the other side of the sitting area. lol

I know my cats hear these messages because I have played them for them once I am home, and they always come running when they hear my voice on the machine.

I guess I am nuts ... but I am a happy nut! :)

If you are, my DW is too. (But she leaves him for me to take care of, sometimes.)

Our cats will sit on the suitcases when we get them out to pack. They know something is up! That's a great quote ... and true! Your dog probably spins in circles with happiness when you return!

When I get my suitcases out to get ready to pack for a cruise my basset hound, Dorcas, goes nuts. She gets upset, tries to crawl into my lap anytime I sit down, sniffs the bags, and even tries to get into the larger up-right when I leave it open on the bed! It's both comical and sad. And coming home is always an ordeal. Dorcas whimpers, cries, barks her head off, and doesn't know wether to be happy that I'm home and mad at me for having been gone. :D

When I get my suitcases out to get ready to pack for a cruise my basset hound, Dorcas, goes nuts. She gets upset, tries to crawl into my lap anytime I sit down, sniffs the bags, and even tries to get into the larger up-right when I leave it open on the bed! It's both comical and sad. And coming home is always an ordeal. Dorcas whimpers, cries, barks her head off, and doesn't know wether to be happy that I'm home and mad at me for having been gone. :D

That's cute! Dorcas sounds like an awesome dog! :)

It is hard to leave our pets behind while we vacation ... it seems they all know what an open suitcase on the bed means.

Our cats just stare at us like ... finally, you're home. They play it cool. lol

I like formal nights but less of it. On my recent Noordam 10 day cruise, there were two formal nights and one optional formal night in additional to the smart casual and tropical casual (Curacao when we did not depart until 11 pm) nights. One thing that does bug me is that I think the formal night dress code should not apply to all public areas. I can understand the main show lounge and dining room but I think people should be able to wear casual clothes at any time to the library, coffee house area, internet cafe, sports bar, pool deck, and other such areas. I did not appreciate some of the looks I received in the library on formal night from a couple in their formal wear when (after eating in the lido buffet) I ran up to the library to check my email in my tennis shoes, capris, and casual top.

Can someone make a simple poll which states.

(1) Keep Formal Nights

(2) Change to Elegant Casual/Country Club Casual on all nights in the dining room

(3) Change to less Formal nights with only one on a 7-14 night cruise (Doesn't help with the luggage issue).

Btw, the poll would really work better with only the first two options, since you would have a better idea if those on CC want to bring formal wear or not.

Can someone make a simple poll which states.

(1) Keep Formal Nights

(2) Change to Elegant Casual/Country Club Casual on all nights in the dining room

(3) Change to less Formal nights with only one on a 7-14 night cruise (Doesn't help with the luggage issue).

Btw, the poll would really work better with only the first two options, since you would have a better idea if those on CC want to bring formal wear or not.

Think there should be one more option..

4) Change to one Formal per week & to another Optional Formal per week on cruises of 14 days or longer...

Agree a poll would work better..It's difficult to count the yeas & nay's, when many of us have posted more than once /SIZE]in this thread..

Cheers....Betty

Rev Neal,

I am very sorry to hear about your grandmothers passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I know a little about what you go through with your mom from what I go through with mine.

Not to the extent of your mom, but she is definately a "how would it look" type.

I always ask her "Who's looking?" :)

How about one day on Cruise Critic where people just ignore posts that they don't want to participate in, and leave out the smart ass remarks.

I'm one who appreciates people taking the time to pray for others and all of the suffering in the world.

It doesn't take alot of energy but it's wicked good energy.:) I certainly have appreciated it in the past when my son was deathly ill. Thank you cruise critic members.

I'm one who appreciates people taking the time to pray for others and all of the suffering in the world.

It doesn't take alot of energy but it's wicked good energy.:) I certainly have appreciated it in the past when my son was deathly ill. Thank you cruise critic members.

I agree

it doesn't cost a thing to pray or send a good thought someones way in a time of need. And it can do so much good to someones spirits.

And if someones doesn't agree all they have to do is NOT do it and go on.

Hope that your son is doing much better

I agree. :)

I hope your son is doing better.

Thank you. He is better. It's been a long and arduous road to be sure with lots of difficulty but he is better. Thank you for asking.:)

I'm sorry he's been sick, but it's good that he is doing better.

Enjoy your cruise on Celebrity. We've not cruised Celebrity, so I am looking forward to hearing all about your cruise. :)

• 2 weeks later...
NO

formal dress is not to be "imposed" on passengers who are there on holiday and pay for it. That doesn't mean I can show up to dinner with ragged jeans and tank top.

If someone wants to "dress up", well go ahead and do it, I don't think I have to go to buffet because other people want to act like they're going to the Opera House.

Elegance should be the rule for every night :) but "Special nights" should not be imposed on.

I agree do away with formal dress!!!!

No, I don't wish it to continue. Like someone else posted, I don't enjoy it as much anymore. I'd rather carry more casual clothes when flying with all the weight restrictions.

Then be sure to vote in the poll! I don't know if HAL execs read this board, but, if they do, it might make a difference!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1166737&highlight=poll

Archived