Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?

sail7seas

Just wanted to add my voice to those who think it is time to discontinue formal nights on cruise ships.

With the airlines charging ever more dollars to check bags, it doesn't make sense to carry a separate or larger bag for the formal clothes needed for possibly one or two nights on a cruise, not to mention the extra weight to be carried.

Life in general is becoming more casual and I see nothing wrong with having resort casual as the norm for MDRs. I also don't think its necessary to have formal attire for a Captain's cocktail party or some other trumped up occasion for passengers. That's a hold-over from the early cruising days and not very appropriate in this day and age.

I do agree with those that say cut-offs, t-shirts, or beach coverups are inappropriate for dining in a ship dining room. It's OK for the Lido deck or other casual venue. As for MDR, men look fine in slacks and open-necked shirts; women are fine in just about any dress, pants and top, or skirt and blouse.

It's the company and the food that make for an interesting and satisfying dining experience, not the clothes.

Just wanted to add my voice to those who think it is time to discontinue formal nights on cruise ships.

With the airlines charging ever more dollars to check bags, it doesn't make sense to carry a separate or larger bag for the formal clothes needed for possibly one or two nights on a cruise, not to mention the extra weight to be carried.

Life in general is becoming more casual and I see nothing wrong with having resort casual as the norm for MDRs. I also don't think its necessary to have formal attire for a Captain's cocktail party or some other trumped up occasion for passengers. That's a hold-over from the early cruising days and not very appropriate in this day and age.

I do agree with those that say cut-offs, t-shirts, or beach coverups are inappropriate for dining in a ship dining room. It's OK for the Lido deck or other casual venue. As for MDR, men look fine in slacks and open-necked shirts; women are fine in just about any dress, pants and top, or skirt and blouse.

It's the company and the food that make for an interesting and satisfying dining experience, not the clothes.

I agree wholeheartedly, especially the last sentence.

Calm down Rev,

I am very calm. Why would you think I'm something other than "calm?" Do you have photographs of me pounding on my keyboard and shouting at the screen? If so, they must be from the mirror universe (Star Trek: "Mirror Mirror") because my post was written in anything but anger. A tad bit of frustration at your continual mischaracterization of a product you've never tried, perhaps, but no anger or overwrought emotion.

It's an opinion based on what I have learned from the fine people who post here and also what I have learned from the Public Relations folks at HAL.

What you have been told by a PR person at HAL is interesting, and while it does reflect what the Code says it does not reflect what we usually experience aboard ship. Indeed, over the past decade and a half I, and many others, have learned that HAL Shore Services personnel are not the best source for information about what goes on aboard ship relative to most issues; I'm sorry to say it, but that tends to be a simple fact. They may quote the published policy, but the reality varies.

As for what you have "learned from the fine people who post here" ... you have had it stated to you by myself, Sail, Copper, and several others (from across the spectrum of opinions on this subject) that enforcement of the Dress Code is (1) inconsistent in the MDR and Pinnacle Grill, and (2) nonexistent elsewhere around the ship. Outside of those two dining venues, what the code requests of us is not what a varying percentage of the people will do. That is what you should have learned from the "fine people who post here."

I do confess that I have not been on HAL yet, but I am looking forward to the opportunity very shortly. I have made my decision on what I will do on Formal Nights and I promise you it will not impose upon those enjoying their evening in Formal Attire. Live and Let Live. :)

I trust you will have a wonderful cruise and come back wanting to go again. HAL has an excellent product, wonderful ships, and a beautiful, accommodating, gracious crew.

BTW, Your Mother and you look very sharp in your Formal Attire. :)

Thank you very much. I relish any and every opportunity to take my mother on a cruise ... and she very much enjoys each one she takes. :)

Yeah...no kidding. After all they did pay for their vacation.....and they have to dress up everyday for work:rolleyes:. Some think PJ's are acceptable attire. I did see someone asking that question on CC.

Oh, for pete's sake, you can't let go of that, can you?

To the unitiated and for the record, someone asked (snarkily, IMO) during one of these formal wear threads, "You wouldn't wear your pajamas to the grocery store, would you?". As I thought about it, initially I thought, "no, I don't, really", but then realized that I had, once! The circumstance was that I, as a middle school teacher, participated in one of our "Spirit Days" -- Pajama Day. I needed to go by the grocery store on my way home, so, indeed, I did, in my flannel pj bottoms and a knit top.

While I was a little self-conscious about it at the time, when I thought back on it, it didn't really make sense for me to have been.... I was decently covered, and there are a lot of flannel pants out there these days.

Now, do I usually go out in my nightie? Nopers. Most of my nighties would not leave me decently covered. ;-) But, in the grand scheme of things, I don't know that wearing flannel pj bottoms and a knit top is worth hanging on to like you have, Lorekauf. It just seems to me to be a really, really small thing.

I am very calm. Why would you think I'm something other than "calm?" Do you have photographs of me pounding on my keyboard and shouting at the screen? If so, they must be from the mirror universe (Star Trek: "Mirror Mirror") because my post was written in anything but anger. A tad bit of frustration at your continual mischaracterization of a product you've never tried, perhaps, but no anger or overwrought emotion.

What you have been told by a PR person at HAL is interesting, and while it does reflect what the Code says it does not reflect what we usually experience aboard ship. Indeed, over the past decade and a half I, and many others, have learned that HAL Shore Services personnel are not the best source for information about what goes on aboard ship relative to most issues; I'm sorry to say it, but that tends to be a simple fact. They may quote the published policy, but the reality varies.

As for what you have "learned from the fine people who post here" ... you have had it stated to you by myself, Sail, Copper, and several others (from across the spectrum of opinions on this subject) that enforcement of the Dress Code is (1) inconsistent in the MDR and Pinnacle Grill, and (2) nonexistent elsewhere around the ship. Outside of those two dining venues, what the code requests of us is not what a varying percentage of the people will do. That is what you should have learned from the "fine people who post here."

I trust you will have a wonderful cruise and come back wanting to go again. HAL has an excellent product, wonderful ships, and a beautiful, accommodating, gracious crew.

Thank you very much. I relish any and every opportunity to take my mother on a cruise ... and she very much enjoys each one she takes. :)

OK Rev...if you say so. :) I'm not even sure I care anymore. I don't think you'll ever see my point and I will likely never see your point. Maybe some of this confusion comes from the differing stories/interpretations between the CC posters and HAL PR people. I will assume that given your experience and that of the other posters here...the CC version is Gospel. BTW, thats a Pun, not a Mock. :D

Oh, for pete's sake, you can't let go of that, can you?

To the unitiated and for the record, someone asked (snarkily, IMO) during one of these formal wear threads, "You wouldn't wear your pajamas to the grocery store, would you?". As I thought about it, initially I thought, "no, I don't, really", but then realized that I had, once! The circumstance was that I, as a middle school teacher, participated in one of our "Spirit Days" -- Pajama Day. I needed to go by the grocery store on my way home, so, indeed, I did, in my flannel pj bottoms and a knit top.

While I was a little self-conscious about it at the time, when I thought back on it, it didn't really make sense for me to have been.... I was decently covered, and there are a lot of flannel pants out there these days.

Now, do I usually go out in my nightie? Nopers. Most of my nighties would not leave me decently covered. ;-) But, in the grand scheme of things, I don't know that wearing flannel pj bottoms and a knit top is worth hanging on to like you have, Lorekauf. It just seems to me to be a really, really small thing.

Wow....what is the problem? Seems to me you can't let go of it. I was talking about a thread on the Carnival board where a woman asked if it was ok the wear her pj's that looked like capri's. Really...why are you getting SO upset?

Wow....what is the problem? Seems to me you can't let go of it. I was talking about a thread on the Carnival board where a woman asked if it was ok the wear her pj's that looked like capri's. Really...why are you getting SO upset?

If you say so....

Actually, you brought this up earlier in this very thread. "Weren't you the one who thought it was okay to wear pajamas to the store?"

Do I really need to go find the post?

If you say so....

Actually, you brought this up earlier in this very thread. "Weren't you the one who thought it was okay to wear pajamas to the store?"

Do I really need to go find the post?

No you don't need to go find the post. I know I said that...and you did do it so what is the issue?

An apology would be nice for you jumping down my throat. If you think I'm making it up here is the link for you to that thread on Carnival.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1153869&highlight=capri+that+looks+like

No you don't need to go find the post. I know I said that...and you did do it so what is the issue?

An apology would be nice for you jumping down my throat. If you think I'm making it up here is the link for you to that thread on Carnival.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1153869&highlight=capri+that+looks+like

Apology? From me? To you?

Nope. I don't think one is called for here. At least in that direction.

Apology? From me? To you?

Nope. I don't think one is called for here. At least in that direction.

Well clearly you said I was refering to you. Now I've shown you the thread. Still you are not convinced. That's your issue but you do not need to make remarks that are not true. Whether or not you and several other posters like it, HAL still has formal night standards. It's up to you to abide by them or not instead of hoping HAL will change to your standard of dress. Like so many have said, wear what you want but don't come complaining if HAL does choose to step up to the place with some enforcement.

Archived