Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?

sail7seas

Not long ago there was a long thread on the RCCL board about teens wearing their pjs to the Windjammer (think Lido) for breakfast. I was amazed by how many folks thought this was ok. But then again, on our last HAL cruise, we had a guy go to the Neptune Lounge for breakfast in his bathrobe and barefoot!

Makes you wonder, if that is what they consider acceptable for public places, what do they wear (or more importantly, don't wear) in the comfort of their own home? Hate to be the UPS man at their door. :eek:

This is still an area of huge debate and contention. The HAL policy is very strict regarding "Formal" attire for not only the MDR, but for almost all other public areas on the ship on Formal Night(s). Many posters here have said that HAL does not enforce their Policy except for in the MDR, all other areas seem to be exempt from enforcement. (?)

Nonsense. Firstly, there is NO contention -- zip, zero, nada -- regarding what bishfam asked about. For gentlemen a simple jacket and tie is outlined within the code as being acceptable for Formal Night. You are creating contention where none exists.

Secondly, HAL's policy is anything but strict. If HAL's policy were strict those on my side of the debate wouldn't be whining and complaining about those who ignore the code and/or dress down to shorts and t-shirts on Formal Nights in the MDR and around the ship. If anything, HAL is highly inconsistent and extraordinarily lenient in how they enforce their code. Indeed, other than in the Main Dining room and in the Pinnacle Grill HAL doesn't even make an attempt at enforcing their code. Yes, that's right, the code is unenforced everywhere aboard ship except for, on occasion, in the MDR and the Pinnacle Grill. On some ships, on some cruises, one will have dining room staff who will enforce the code to the extent than gentlemen need to wear a jacket (and even a tie) in the MDR and Pinnacle on formal nights :eek: ; on other ships we've seen that the staff will let people into the MDR on formal nights wearing shorts and t-shirts! In other words, enforcement is, at best, inconsistent even when it comes to the MDR and Pinnacle Grill.

It sounds like you may or may not be OK with what you have described. I'm not a fashion consultant and don't pretend to know what would be accepted by HAL and your fellow passengers. The DW and I have been on many cruises on other lines (this is our first on HAL) and we have also been fine on Formal Nights (dressed nicely but sans the prescibed finery). I don't know if that helps or not, but I hope you enjoy your cruise anyway. :)

Your response is utterly disconnected from what bishfam asked. bishfam clearly indicated that her husband would be dressed in a jacket and tie and that she didn't have a long gown. A jacket and tie is within the stipulated code; what others might think is immaterial and irrelevant, for the code says that such is acceptable. Something smiler for bishfam, herself, will also be true ... as I illustrated in my prior post relative to what my mother wore on a 15-day Hawaii cruise this past January. The code does not say that a woman must wear a long gown on formal nights; quite the contrary, while it provides such as an example of what women may wear, it then goes on to offer alternatives for wear.

Gotta Go Cruisin.......

Easy. Wear what you want and take your chances.

Depending upon who is at the MDR Entry when you arrive, they might let you in and they might not. Be prepared to be denied entry if putting on a tie and jacket for gents and dress/slacks suit/appropriate outfit for the ladies is not acceptable to you. You know the code, you've discussed it each way to Sunday and you've solicited lots of opinions.

Until and/or unless HAL changes the code, you know what is expected.

All the same to me if you wear whatever....

Don't be surprised if it is not okay with the person at the door.

Are you confused in some way we can help?

Do you not understand what is meant by jacket and tie for gentlemen?

Do you need clarification as to what is expected of You?

Do it or don't. :shurg:

I'm not one to say the thread should be finished as if someone else wants to say anything at all, they should be able to do so. I would never say enough......... It isn't enough until all have spoken their piece.

Is it possible you still have a question? Something new to add that would clear up confusion as to expectation?

Well I cannot help but wonder what those cruiseers are wearing that paid the $399 rate with HAL for Alaska this year and some of them are crying that they want it cheaper :eek:

Right now HAL has by far the cheapest rates for Alaska with their Flash specials and I have sold plenty (Princess is a close 2nd).

Then there is NCL with the highest prices for Alaska :rolleyes:

Many of which have asked me about Formal wear and dining in the nice specialty restaurants SO.... I wonder which will be more McDonalds like... the couple that paid less than $1000 for their Inside cabin or the couple that paid triple to sail on NCL :rolleyes: NCL ships are just as sold out as HAL if not more so because they are not dropping their pants with crazy low rates ;)

I imagine that there will be many cruisers dressed to the nines on formal night that have paid the $399.00pp rate. Nothing wrong with finding a good cruise deal even if you could afford the Penthouse and also possess a fine wardrobe.

Rich

Gotta Go Cruisin.......

Depending upon who is at the MDR Entry when you arrive, they might let you in and they might not. Be prepared to be denied entry if putting on a tie and jacket for gents and dress/slacks suit/appropriate outfit for the ladies is not acceptable to you. You know the code, you've discussed it each way to Sunday and you've solicited lots of opinions.

VERY well put! Thank you, Judy! I agree 100%

Nonsense. Firstly, there is NO contention -- zip, zero, nada -- regarding what bishfam asked about. For gentlemen a simple jacket and tie is outlined within the code as being acceptable for Formal Night. You are creating contention where none exists.

Secondly, HAL's policy is anything but strict. If HAL's policy were strict those on my side of the debate wouldn't be whining and complaining about those who ignore the code and/or dress down to shorts and t-shirts on Formal Nights in the MDR and around the ship. If anything, HAL is highly inconsistent and extraordinarily lenient in how they enforce their code. Indeed, other than in the Main Dining room and in the Pinnacle Grill HAL doesn't even make an attempt at enforcing their code. Yes, that's right, the code is unenforced everywhere aboard ship except for, on occasion, in the MDR and the Pinnacle Grill. On some ships, on some cruises, one will have dining room staff who will enforce the code to the extent than gentlemen need to wear a jacket (and even a tie) in the MDR and Pinnacle on formal nights :eek: ; on other ships we've seen that the staff will let people into the MDR on formal nights wearing shorts and t-shirts! In other words, enforcement is, at best, inconsistent even when it comes to the MDR and Pinnacle Grill.

Your response is utterly disconnected from what bishfam asked. bishfam clearly indicated that her husband would be dressed in a jacket and tie and that she didn't have a long gown. A jacket and tie is within the stipulated code; what others might think is immaterial and irrelevant, for the code says that such is acceptable. Something smiler for bishfam, herself, will also be true ... as I illustrated in my prior post relative to what my mother wore on a 15-day Hawaii cruise this past January. The code does not say that a woman must wear a long gown on formal nights; quite the contrary, while it provides such as an example of what women may wear, it then goes on to offer alternatives for wear.

Calm down Rev, It's an opinion based on what I have learned from the fine people who post here and also what I have learned from the Public Relations folks at HAL. I do confess that I have not been on HAL yet, but I am looking forward to the opportunity very shortly. I have made my decision on what I will do on Formal Nights and I promise you it will not impose upon those enjoying their evening in Formal Attire. Live and Let Live. :)

BTW, Your Mother and you look very sharp in your Formal Attire. :)

Gotta Go Cruisin.......

Are you confused in some way we can help?

Do you not understand what is meant by jacket and tie for gentlemen?

Do you need clarification as to what is expected of You?

Do it or don't. :shurg:

I'm not one to say the thread should be finished as if someone else wants to say anything at all, they should be able to do so. I would never say enough......... It isn't enough until all have spoken their piece.

Is it possible you still have a question? Something new to add that would clear up confusion as to expectation?

Judy, thanks for the commentary and info, although it seems quite insincere and condesending, thanks all the same. :(

You asked the question to begin this thread, "Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?" Now you seem to be upset when you aren't getting the reponses you would like. :confused:

These boards are a great way to gather info and to form opinions and help make decisions and I have done just that. :)

I suppose if you wish to end this thread, there is probably a way, I can't help you there, I'm not well versed in the protocol that CC follows for that.

Happy Cruisin'. :)

...I do confess that I have not been on HAL yet, but I am looking forward to the opportunity very shortly.

I am delighted that you have decided to book a HAL cruise. :)

Once you are onboard, you will see for yourself that your concern that the HAL dress code is strict and its application contentious is truly unwarranted - understandable perhaps, but unwarranted.

I know you will enjoy your vacation.

Smooth sailing to you...

I am delighted that you have decided to book a HAL cruise. :)

Once you are onboard, you will see for yourself that your concern that the HAL dress code is strict and its application contentious is truly unwarranted - understandable perhaps, but unwarranted.

I know you will enjoy your vacation.

Smooth sailing to you...

Thanks WC, I know that we will enjoy ourselves and like I said previously, all I know is what I get from these posters and the PR folks at HAL. Whatever the outcome, we'll enjoy ourselves, unless of course we are keel hauled or flogged for non compliance. Never done that before either, maybe that could be fun. :D

Thanks WC, I know that we will enjoy ourselves and like I said previously, all I know is what I get from these posters and the PR folks at HAL. Whatever the outcome, we'll enjoy ourselves, unless of course we are keel hauled or flogged for non compliance. Never done that before either, maybe that could be fun. :D

Keel hauling = just a matter of holding your breath; no biggie

Keel hauling = just a matter of holding your breath; no biggie

Yup. I hear it is entirely over-rated. :D

Smooth sailing...

Lol...I hear back when it was a big deal, was when the ships had lots of Barnacles on the hull to contend with. Ouch! Who knows they might think about selling it as a Shore Excusion in the future. :D

Judy, thanks for the commentary and info, although it seems quite insincere and condesending, thanks all the same. :(

You asked the question to begin this thread, "Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?" Now you seem to be upset when you aren't getting the reponses you would like. :confused:

These boards are a great way to gather info and to form opinions and help make decisions and I have done just that. :)

I suppose if you wish to end this thread, there is probably a way, I can't help you there, I'm not well versed in the protocol that CC follows for that.

Happy Cruisin'. :)

Up until now, had I wished this thread to end, I would have stopped posting to it. My opinion is now different.

You appear to wish to pick a fight it seems but I don't know why.

I have said at least twice....... "dress however you wish". Doesn't matter the least to me.

Condescending...... I think not. Sorry you appear to find offense. Don't look so hard. It really isn't there. I suppose one can parse most anything to find whatever it is they might be looking for.

I started this thread for everyone's comments.

So.....comment away.... :)

Until it gets nasty or into name calling or breaks board rules which I suspect is coming close to happening.

I am done responding to you, as this can only degenerate. There is no place good any more of my comments will go in this regard.

So, post you message to me but there will be no response. ;) I do not want it to go 'sour'.

I think lots of folks have made some excellent comments and it has been a good conversation. I do not control when or how it ends.

Up until now, had I wished this thread to end, I would have stopped posting to it. My opinion is now different.

I have said at least twice....... "dress however you wish". Doesn't matter the least to me.

Condescending...... I think not. Sorry you appear to find offense. Don't look so hard. It really isn't there. I suppose one can parse most anything to find whatever it is they might be looking for.

Until it gets nasty or into name calling or breaks board rules which I suspect is coming close to happening.

I am done responding to you, as this can only degenerate. There is no place good any more of my comments will go in this regard.

So, post you message to me but there will be no response. ;) I do not want it to go 'sour'.

I think lots of folks have made some excellent comments and it has been a good conversation. I do not control when or how it ends.

OK..let STOP and figure out what everyone is doing. FORMAL night has its purpose not because of the HAL's rules BUT it serves a larger purpose to socialize groups of people. Would you go to a wedding dressed in jeans and tank top - NO you would dress to what you THINK is expected of you. So if you are going to a Club Med wedding which we have, we dressed in suit/tie and long gown. When we went to a church wedding we do the same..why is that ? When we go any graduation we generally, wait, I said generally see suit and tie and grown.

This 'DRESS up" night has the ability to teach the kids (children) that you dress up for certain things and not for others. Just like the kids are taught to wait their turn, they are taught in the MDR which fork to use.

So I agree that formal night is not something that everyone enjoys so those nights you go to buffet supper. It is as simple as that. I think the four star plus and frequent cruisers of ANY line will cater to the needs of the clinet. Like no smoking in the cabins etc.

Let all take a breath and look at the BIG picture instead of trying to defend and guard a tradition just for the stake of it being a tradition.

Sorry Judy, didn't mean to upset you. That wasn't my intention. If you look back to my initial response I did say I was "Not" opposed to Formal Attire and that there needs to be a minimum standard (No Jeans and T-Shirts). I know you won't respond and so I wish you great enjoyment on all of your cruise adventures. :)

Sorry Judy, didn't mean to upset you.

>SNIP<

Just in case you were unaware, it is generally considered bad form on chat boards to use someone's RL name unless

1. that person advertises it, e.g., signing a post "Regards, Tom" or
  2. you have a personal relationship with that person and have been given specific permission to use the RL name

Just in case you were unaware, it is generally considered bad form on chat boards to use someone's RL name unless

1. that person advertises it, e.g., signing a post "Regards, Tom" or
  2. you have a personal relationship with that person and have been given specific permission to use the RL name

Oops, didn't know that was the case. I thought an apology would mean more if it were directed toward the person and not the screen name. :o

I seem to be having a tough go of it today. Some are upset with me for different reasons, others are scolding me for poor message board ettiquite. I need a cruise. :)

Whatever the intent and whatever one's perceptions of comments here, it is a stretch to see the part of your post that begins with Sail's name and includes saying her comments were insincere and condescending as an apology. Maybe I don't have the appropriately open mind to read that the right way.

I still think formal night is contrived. But to each their own, and happy cruising to all. And I will try hard to not stumble into the MDR with Crocs on my feet, even if it isn't formal night ;)

Oops, didn't know that was the case. I thought an apology would mean more if it were directed toward the person and not the screen name. :o

I seem to be having a tough go of it today. Some are upset with me for different reasons, others are scolding me for poor message board ettiquite. I need a cruise. :)

Interesting that you would consider my post "scolding".

I have noticed people using first names with others here very often - even when those names are not part of their screen name or in their signature.

It seems to be reflective of a certain level of familiarity. No harm in that.

I could readily provide examples, but do not wish to offend those who have been addressed by name!

I tend to pick up on it when it happens, only because I don't know a lot of first names of posters, and I stop and think, "Oh ... so that's his/her name!"

I have noticed people using first names with others here very often - even when those names are not part of their screen name or in their signature.

It seems to be reflective of a certain level of familiarity. No harm in that.

I could readily provide examples, but do not wish to offend those who have been addressed by name!

I tend to pick up on it when it happens, only because I don't know a lot of first names of posters, and I stop and think, "Oh ... so that's his/her name!"

It's called selective enforcement!;)

Interesting reading this thread. Our family has been on several HAL cruises. To be honest, I really love dressing up for formal night. It has always been a part of the "unique" cruise experience for our family.

We just completed our first Azamara cruise and their dress code is much different than with most cruise lines. By the way, I would like to suggest to anyone thinking of trying an Azamara cruise to go for it......it was fabulous in every way! They suggest resort casual, and the, as per HAL and others, no jeans in the dining room or tank tops or shorts, well you get the picture, is in place. Thinking that could mean a wide range of things, I have to say we were amazed that every single evening passengers were dressed very nicely the women sometimes in cocktail dresses and men nice suits. There was a general ambiance of respect for eachother and dining was always a delight.

We never, not even one single evening saw someone dressed like they did not put an effort into it (it you get my drift).

I really liked it, and that is coming from someone who hates to see the end of formal nights come to pass.

Honestly, I do not care what others wear. I do think though if the cruiseline offers a dress code for it's guests to follow, that should be respected.

Happy cruising everyone!

Linda

Gotta Go,

I'll be your friend. Seems as though you need one......

Oh, and you have permission to use my first name. It's Tom

Archived