Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?

sail7seas

There is no doubt that the DW and I, do and will in the future, dress decently. We will also use courtesy, respect, manners and good sense, but as you have read on this thread and a related one about the "Fashion Police" the question of appropriately seems to be open to interpretation. No, I won't be in a Tux, No, I won't be in a dark suit, No, I won't wear a Jacket and Tie, but I will be dressed very nicely, as will the DW. Is that appropriate? Some here would say "No Way", get outta here, go somewhere like NCL and others would say, just enjoy yourself. I think I like the enjoy yourself crowd. :)

You make it clear that you won't wear a jacket and tie. All right, it is obvious that you feel that the existing dress code does not interest you, so why do you care what it is? It doesn't bother me what you wear, but I am curious about why you want to comment about a code which you intend to ignore in any case.

And Lisa - as indicated in my signature I have sailed NCL. I believe the Freestyle emphasis on "doing it your way" sets the tone which I have seen on NCL.

You make it clear that you won't wear a jacket and tie. All right, it is obvious that you feel that the existing dress code does not interest you, so why do you care what it is? It doesn't bother me what you wear, but I am curious about why you want to comment about a code which you intend to ignore in any case.

Maybe it has to do with the title of this thread and then of course the theme of the discussion. :)

I find that my Tuxedo is one of my most comfortable suits that I own; it fits me very well. True, I have to wear a shirt with a closed collar and a bow tie, but even that shouldn't be choking-tight. I'm convinced that too many men think that Tuxedos are supposed to be uncomfortable because they've been poorly fitted in the past and, when they wear a jacket and a tie, they always wear shirts that are too small ... at least in the neck.

Mr. Fatcat says the same and he wears an honest to goodness suit and tie to work every weekday. As for my evening gowns, they are all comfortable and easy to pack or I simply wouldn't buy them.

I am sick and tired of seeing posts like yours that assume because we are not formally dressed that we go to the other extreme. I have news for you - WE DON'T. Many of us look smarter than those of you dressed in your sparkle.

Chris it's really not all that important. I don't think anyone here is going to be changing their minds about how they prefer to dress, Formally or Not. I may be just one of those areas where everyone needs to agree to disagree. I do agree with you that many in the "Formal" crowd have a need to put down anyone not like them and that's too bad. I have said many times I hope EVERYONE enjoys their cruise no matter how they choose to dress. :)

Just how formal is formal...my hubby has a lovely jacket and tie, but doesn't own a tux...and I don't have a long gown...will we be underdressed and feeling out of it? We have been fine at formal nights on other cruises, but HAL sounds a bit over the top? Wasn't that worried until I started to read the posts, but don't fancy eating in the buffet!!

Just how formal is formal...my hubby has a lovely jacket and tie, but doesn't own a tux...and I don't have a long gown...will we be underdressed and feeling out of it? We have been fine at formal nights on other cruises, but HAL sounds a bit over the top? Wasn't that worried until I started to read the posts, but don't fancy eating in the buffet!!

This is still an area of huge debate and contention. The HAL policy is very strict regarding "Formal" attire for not only the MDR, but for almost all other public areas on the ship on Formal Night(s). Many posters here have said that HAL does not enforce their Policy except for in the MDR, all other areas seem to be exempt from enforcement. (?) It sounds like you may or may not be OK with what you have described. I'm not a fashion consultant and don't pretend to know what would be accepted by HAL and your fellow passengers. The DW and I have been on many cruises on other lines (this is our first on HAL) and we have also been fine on Formal Nights (dressed nicely but sans the prescibed finery). I don't know if that helps or not, but I hope you enjoy your cruise anyway. :)

Hello:

There is no mystery or debate in the HAL dress code. Here it is:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual.

Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

I may be missing something but I think this is pretty self-explanatory.

Sounds like you two will be fine with your wardrobe and will have a terrific time onboard. :)

Smooth sailing to you

T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

What time do the pools on HAL close? I think they are probably in areas that are considered "public," so does this mean they close before evening hours? That will be sad, considering it stays light most of the night in Alaska and there would be little option to swim after days in port....

Just how formal is formal...my hubby has a lovely jacket and tie, but doesn't own a tux...and I don't have a long gown...

HAL's definition of "formal", isn't. A man meets the requirements with a jacket and tie. A woman meets it with a cocktail dress (or other clothing with a similar degree of dressiness).

What time do the pools on HAL close? I think they are probably in areas that are considered "public," so does this mean they close before evening hours? That will be sad, considering it stays light most of the night in Alaska and there would be little option to swim after days in port....

We don't use the pools but to the best of my recollection they are closed over dining hours.

I could be wrong and if anyone has more informed comment please correct me.

I don't think pool hours change with respect to formal or informal nights.

I stand to be corrected.

Smooth sailing...

HAL's definition of "formal", isn't. A man meets the requirements with a jacket and tie. A woman meets it with a cocktail dress (or other clothing with a similar degree of dressiness).

Their's is indeed a loose definition of formal - yet there are still those who resist/resent/ignore it.

If HAL further reaxes the dress code to "no shirt, no shoes = no service", I am sure there will emerge a group who will protest that.

If HAL further reaxes the dress code to "no shirt, no shoes = no service", I am sure there will emerge a group who will protest that.

Yeah...no kidding. After all they did pay for their vacation.....and they have to dress up everyday for work:rolleyes:. Some think PJ's are acceptable attire. I did see someone asking that question on CC.

Well I cannot help but wonder what those cruiseers are wearing that paid the $399 rate with HAL for Alaska this year and some of them are crying that they want it cheaper :eek:

Right now HAL has by far the cheapest rates for Alaska with their Flash specials and I have sold plenty (Princess is a close 2nd).

Then there is NCL with the highest prices for Alaska :rolleyes:

Many of which have asked me about Formal wear and dining in the nice specialty restaurants SO.... I wonder which will be more McDonalds like... the couple that paid less than $1000 for their Inside cabin or the couple that paid triple to sail on NCL :rolleyes: NCL ships are just as sold out as HAL if not more so because they are not dropping their pants with crazy low rates ;)

Some think PJ's are acceptable attire. I did see someone asking that question on CC.

Not long ago there was a long thread on the RCCL board about teens wearing their pjs to the Windjammer (think Lido) for breakfast. I was amazed by how many folks thought this was ok. But then again, on our last HAL cruise, we had a guy go to the Neptune Lounge for breakfast in his bathrobe and barefoot!

Not long ago there was a long thread on the RCCL board about teens wearing their pjs to the Windjammer (think Lido) for breakfast. I was amazed by how many folks thought this was ok. But then again, on our last HAL cruise, we had a guy go to the Neptune Lounge for breakfast in his bathrobe and barefoot!
At a Future Cruise presentation in the show lounge we saw a guy wearing a bathrobe - over swim trunks, I think. IIRC he had flip-flops on, though! :eek:

Please do not be concerned, you and your husband will be perfectly fine. A jacket and a tie is all that HAL asks gentlemen to wear on Formal Nights. Many men wear a dark suit or a tuxedo, but neither is in any way required. As for "long gowns," many women on HAL cruises don't seem to wear them. Oh, I've seen some, but as with gentlemen in Tuxedos they're simply not in the majority. On our Zaandam cruise to Hawaii in January of this year my mother's favorite formal outfit was comprised of a pair of black, wide-legged dress slacks, a black blouse, and an asian-themed jacket. She looked like this:

momgreg10b.jpg

In my opinion, my mother looked fabulous. Yes, I was in a tuxedo ... but that's me. Again, a Tuxedo isn't required. Another outfit that my mother loved and looked wonderful in was a simple blue dress that had a blue jacket:

momgreg10a.jpg

My mother's not dressed in a formal evening gown but in a simple blue dress with a loose-fitting, flowing, blue jacket. She looked and says she felt VERY elegant in this outfit, too.

So, from what you describe your husband will be perfectly fine in a jacket and tie on formal night, and you needn't worry about a formal gown, there are plenty of nice, appropriate dresses and pant-outfits that you can wear that will be just perfect for formal night on HAL.

Archived