Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?

sail7seas

All tuxed up is for old people trying to recapture that youth that was. ;) If I want snob appeal there are cruise lines for that.

Hmmmm, the connection between dressing formally & recapturing lost youth or being snobbish seems like quite a leap to me.

All tuxed up is for old people trying to recapture that youth that was. ;) If I want snob appeal there are cruise lines for that.

Interesting take on the matter, since my 17-year old son is so excited that I have rented a tux for him (as well as DH) on our upcoming cruise. He doesn't have the opportunity to wear a tux very often and really wants to go all out. My 12-year old daughter has two formal gowns for the cruise as well, and I have three. We have a 40 acre ranch and wear almost nothing but jeans and sweats. Formal nights on a cruise give us the once-a-year opportunity to go all out...and we're neither old nor snobs.

Woodeagle here-- we love the formal nights! The extra packing space required is not a problem. All of our HAL cruises have been so pleasurable and the special nights where we can dress up adds even more enjoyment.

What is difficult to understand is the person that changes to attend the theatre. It is more fun for the whole evening: dinner, the theatre, a stroll around the deck and taking my best girl back to the stateroom!:)

I really feel for you,to be interrogated on a message board about your make up. You don't owe ANYBODY an explanation. Perhaps you should lawyer up before they put you under the light.

Awwww.... that's very sweet of you. But, believe me, this is much more tame than many of the comment/questions I've been asked in the past, regarding this subject and similar ones. :-)

This is the dynamic as I see it: most of the cruisers here who take umbrage at my perspective do so because they don't like the changes they see around them. They don't like the more casual approach, and, in the past, HAL has been a guardian of the old traditions.

However, HAL, by their policies, seems to recognize that, just like people no longer "dress" to go on airplanes, many cruisers don't want to feel they have to "dress" to go on a cruise, or go to dinner on a cruise. So, HAL has changed its language about dress for "formal night", and now has recommended guidelines, rather than hard and fast rules. It is, IMO, a good business decision.

Those who have sailed HAL for decades, however, and who have enjoyed the more old-style cruising experience are (understandably) upset about the changes that HAL has made over the last few years. They want a certain experience, and HAL no longer supports that particular experience as much as it once did.

We will be taking our second HAL cruise this summer. The first time we sailed on one of the HAL ships, it was with a group, so we didn't choose the line. But, for the most part, we enjoyed it (the lack of entertainment for those under 60 was a drawback, but, we will just be sure to bring our IPods and chargers ;-))

This time, we looked at a lot of different lines, and decided on this particular trip because (1) it went to some interesting, non-traditional places we might not otherwise see, (2) the Prinsendam sounds like a lovely ship, and one that may or may not be around for many more years, and (3) the price was right.

Having been on the Rotterdam, I know what is, and isn't, acceptable with regard to apparel, and will behave accordingly, but, I won't be bringing lots of evening gowns and bling, my husband is leaving his tux at home, and no, on non-formal nights, I won't be redressing for dinner, unless I need a shower and fresh clothing.

Unless the Prinsendam is significantly different than the Baltic/Rotterdam cruise we went on, there will be a lot of people like me. I would venture to say, for instance, that at least half of the passengers did not remain in formal wear throughout the evening.

Times change. HAL is still a mass market cruiseline, not a niche one. It needs to appeal to the largest customer base it can. That means appealling to people like me, who is quite willing to put on a longer, nicer dress for formal nights, but isn't interested in pretending to be travelling on the ocean liners of the past, with people "dressing" every night for dinner, and such.

I guess that's what Cunard is for. ;-))

Unless the Prinsendam is significantly different than the Baltic/Rotterdam cruise we went on, there will be a lot of people like me. I would venture to say, for instance, that at least half of the passengers did not remain in formal wear throughout the evening.

My first cruise aboard the Prinsendam will be following yours, so I can't say from first-hand experience. Nevertheless, keep in mind that she is billed as "the Elegant Explorer" and from what has been reported on this board tends to draw a sub-set of the HAL Mariner base that enjoys the longer, more expensive itineraries and the cruising traditions for which HAL has long been known. While I'm sure that, like with any HAL ship, dress-code observance aboard the Prinsendam will vary from cruise to cruise, I would venture to guess that it would trend more "upward" or "formal" aboard that particular ship. HAL is certainly not a niche cruise line anymore, but the Prinsendam is a niche cruise ship. Or, at least, that's what's been reported on this board in the past. Perhaps those who have actually cruised aboard her can comment?

Thanks for proving a point I've made in the past but some have tried to deny.

My first cruise aboard the Prinsendam will be following yours, so I can't say from first-hand experience. Nevertheless, keep in mind that she is billed as "the Elegant Explorer" and from what has been reported on this board tends to draw a sub-set of the HAL Mariner base that enjoys the longer, more expensive itineraries and the cruising traditions for which HAL has long been known. While I'm sure that, like with any HAL ship, dress-code observance aboard the Prinsendam will vary from cruise to cruise, I would venture to guess that it would trend more "upward" or "formal" aboard that particular ship. HAL is certainly not a niche cruise line anymore, but the Prinsendam is a niche cruise ship. Or, at least, that's what's been reported on this board in the past. Perhaps those who have actually cruised aboard her can comment?

Perhaps! But, I would venture that she is less formal than she was 10 or 15 years ago, which is my point.

From what I understand, the nickname stems from the days when she was a Royal Viking and Seabourne ship... not as a indication of how people dress while aboard her. (BTW, I would say that clothing can often be quite elegant, without being formal.)

In any case, my wardrobe will be the same. I don't notice what others wear, and if others notice me.... well, I don't seem to notice that either!

Nonetheless, I feel sure I will have a lovely time. I look forward to spending time with my husband, my son, and the great people I've had a chance to talk to on the roll call, and on the phone, in preparation for the cruise.

Perhaps! But, I would venture that she is less formal than she was 10 or 15 years ago, which is my point. The times, they are a changing!;)

From what I understand, the nickname stems from the days when she was a Royal Viking and Seabourne ship... not as a indication of how people dress while aboard her. (BTW, I would say that clothing can often be quite elegant, without being formal.)

That name was actually given to her after she joined HAL in 2002;) But you're correct in part 2! That name was not given to her as an indication as to how her pax dress;) It basically describes the ship itself

In any case, my wardrobe will be the same. I don't notice what others wear, and if others notice me.... well, I don't seem to notice that either!Excellent M.O.

Nonetheless, I feel sure I will have a lovely time. I look forward to spending time with my husband, my son, and the great people I've had a chance to talk to on the roll call, and on the phone, in preparation for the cruise. Have a great cruise!:)

Prinsendam.jpg

ms Prinsendam

Copper - The times have been a-changin' since before 1964 when Bob Dylan sang...

"Come gather round people wherever you roam, and admit that the waters around you have grown...or you better start swimmin' or sink like a stone...for the times they are a-changin'..."

One of my favorite songs. I played guitar and sang it in a talent contest in high school. Didn't win. ;)

HAL gave her that moniker when she joined the fleet, and it most certainly describes the ship and the atmosphere HAL strives to maintain aboard her. Nowhere did I state that "Elegant Explorer" = "Formal Dress Code." Nevertheless, it is usually reported on these boards and elsewhere that this ship attracts the more traditional HAL Mariner ... those who tend to enjoy the HAL traditions, including Formal Nights. Be this as it may, I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Nonetheless, I feel sure I will have a lovely time. I look forward to spending time with my husband, my son, and the great people I've had a chance to talk to on the roll call, and on the phone, in preparation for the cruise.

Which is the most important point of all. Have a great cruise, and please take good care of her ... I'll be boarding her after you disembark.

Hmmmm, the connection between dressing formally & recapturing lost youth or being snobbish seems like quite a leap to me.

That's because there is no connection.

Formal dress is a tradition. It is not necessary to bring every tradition from the past into the present, much less bring them with us into the future. Still, it is meaningful to preserve those traditions that resonate with us in the here and now.

Trouble is, different things resonate with different people. Add to that, some people don't like to be told what to wear and what not to wear even for one night a week.

It is obvious that some people love formal evenings, and others don't. The subtext of the issue is not do we bring formalwear for designated evenings, but whether those who enjoy the tradition and those who don't can tolerate each others preferences and notions of "a really good time" over the period of an entire cruise.

I always thought the HAL policy was a compromise.

Sadly, it seems in the here and now, compromise is a notion we are less and less willing to entertain even for the sake of one night a week, or someone else's holiday enjoyment.

Formal wear threads are more about tolerance than tuxedos.

Smooth sailing...

Copper wrote:

"That name was actually given to her after she joined HAL in 2002 But you're correct in part 2! That name was not given to her as an indication as to how her pax dress It basically describes the ship itself"

I stand corrected. Thank you for the information.

and

"Have a great cruise!"

Thank you. I'm very much looking forward to it. :-)

Which is the most important point of all. Have a great cruise, and please take good care of her ... I'll be boarding her after you disembark.

No worries there. I'm one of those people who straightens up our cabin *before* the steward comes, and picks stray pieces of paper from the floor to find a garbage can home for them. :-)

My observations/opinion about formal dinners.

- With the exception of one main course, the menu at the Lido is the same as that in the Main Dining Room.

- Some people like formal evenings and go all the time

- Some people do not like formal at all and eschew those all the time

- Some like the option of going formal some nights and casual on other nights

- Some people are negative and will always find fault with things

- Some people are positive and will always look to the good side of things

Again, it's simple really. If you like formal, then go and if you don't, then abstain. All cruises can accommodate every taste.

End of discussion.

BarCart

My observations/opinion about formal dinners.

- With the exception of one main course, the menu at the Lido is the same as that in the Main Dining Room.

- Some people like formal evenings and go all the time

- Some people do not like formal at all and eschew those all the time

- Some like the option of going formal some nights and casual on other nights

- Some people are negative and will always find fault with things

- Some people are positive and will always look to the good side of things

Again, it's simple really. If you like formal, then go and if you don't, then abstain. All cruises can accommodate every taste.

End of discussion.

BarCart

Your observations may not be as final as you think. :D

No worries there. I'm one of those people who straightens up our cabin *before* the steward comes, and picks stray pieces of paper from the floor to find a garbage can home for them. :-)

:D

What cabin will you be in ... if you don't mind my asking???

• 2 weeks later...
After paying for a cruise (and usually air fare and a hotel) are the extra bag fees really such a deal breaker? I think it is being used an excuse by those who don't want to do formal. ;)

When you add the total cost of an additional $200 for the cost of an extra suitcase each....$50 per bag each way.......yeah.....it's gets a little spendy. Even if you just pack one extra between you both, that's still an extra $100 I'd rather spend elsewhere. However, women are luckier than men. We can wear fabrics that can be rolled and still look great for saving space, whereas men can't do that. If I were driving, i would pack as much as I wanted but since we must fly in order to catch any cruiseship, I vote for smart casual. I'm not a cheapskate, just practical and pragmatic.

p.s. I love formal nights. When I started cruising in the 70's, every night was dress up.....not just a couple of them. I'm just not willing to pay the extra fees to do so.

I could do without it as long as there were some standards like no jeans, no shorts, no tee-shirts ect.

I agree with snyder on this issue. Keep a minimum standard code in place, but do away with the required "Formal" attire. People may still want to dress like the just stepped off the Red Carpet at the Oscars and thats OK, but it's just not that important to alot of cruisers anymore. At least from my experience. :)

Archived