Back from the Rotterdam

bobpatj

This was a most memorable cruise, for many reasons, as I'm sure you've already heard from the posts from my daughter. :)

If any of you have any questions, especially about the ports, I'll do my best to answer. We took a combination of HAL excursions and private tours. We crossed the Equator twice, but the "Ceremony" was only on the southbound leg. Our second day in Lima was a turnaround day - passengers embarking and disembarking.

I hope that those of you on the next sailing will be able to go to Machu Picchu, if you have booked it.

Hi, Pat. Welcome home to you and Bob. Thanks to you, and the "offspring unit" for the information while you were cruising.

Do you think that there's been significant improvement in the ship since her first post-drydock sailing? What more, if anything, needs to be completed?

What did you think of the new "poolette"?

And, did you get a chance to check out the seating on Lower Promenade? Were the chairs reserved for the lanai cabins used by the local residents? How about the "anybody" chairs---were they used much?

Thanks for any info you can add to what's previously been discussed.

Another 'Welcome Home', Bob and Pat! Knowing the two of you, I KNOW you both had a great time.

My question is also about the 'anybody' chairs on the LP that Ruth mentioned - Do they have good views? That is of the sea going by, NOT of the bulkhead?

To answer your questions:

As far as I could tell, there was little else being worked on except, on the first day, there was some work going on in the "poolette." It was in use by the third day, and I never heard any complaints about leaking below. I never saw it getting much use. People did use the hot tubs. My plan was to try it out towards the end of the cruise, but Code Red put an end to that. (Surprisingly, the Retreat pool was closed, but the Lido pool remained open.)

There never was a problem getting a chair on deck 3. The "private" chairs were marked, two per cabin, and "public" chairs were mixed in, though most were forward or aft of the Lanai cabins.

There may be complaints from others, but we were happy with the ship, the ports and shore excursions, the food, the Captain & Crew, the new additions, other than the Retreat. The new carpets are "wilder" than before, and the old carpets should be replaced. We still love the Rotterdam! :):):)

Boarded on March 8th for the trip to Tahiti. Code Red for the first 48 hours, now lifted. Also had delayed boarding until after 1:30 which caused lots of sit, stand and wait.

All going well now. Our room on lowest deck is fine. Tablemates on aft deck seven had a too cold room but it was fixed after about two days. Have not heard of any plumbing problems. It is true that there are plenty of lounge chairs available on deck three. The Lanai folks don't seem to use theirs so they remain empty. That seems to be a wasted benefit.

Eric the CD is very pleasant. Food has been superb. The captain is very charming. Our CC group is very large and the captain, hotel manager and other senior staff came to our meeting. We feel that the impressions they make on the CC crowd are important to them.

Definitely would recommend the Rotterdam for your travels.

HopetoCruise.

Thank you for your updates and glad you're out of Code Red. It's interesting that you have a different CD, than ours - Joseph. He must not have been on for very long!

As to the AC, on our cruise, in our cabin, Deck 2, it didn't seem to matter where we set the thermostat. :rolleyes: It was never too hot or too cool, though. Some areas of the ship could feel too cool - the Showroom and sometimes the dining room, but it never was an issue and one could always put on a sweater. :)

Pat,

Would you be willing to post a list of the private tours that you took? With maybe your opinion of that tour? Contact information and cost would help us tremendously.

We have a very small group of CCers signed up on our April 10, 2010 Rotterdam Incan Empires cruise and maybe this information will not only help us but help to get more people to join us over on our CC thread.

Roger

Are DVDs available on board only in english?

Will defer to someone else on this one but I have a question for you, fayruz . . . are you planning to join the roll call for Rotterdam's Sept 2010 South Pacific cruise?

From reading some of your posts, I think you'd definitely add some flavour. ;)

Will defer to someone else on this one but I have a question for you, fayruz . . . are you planning to join the roll call for Rotterdam's Sept 2010 South Pacific cruise?

From reading some of your posts, I think you'd definitely add some flavour. ;)

I asked HAL and they said no. Doesn't matter, I'll bring all WWII films for dear hubbie. We will stay at Honolulu the week before and arrive in SanDiego the night before cruising.

I booked, fixed private tours and am sure you'll spot me and hubbie once on board : we are the the ones that are always by themselves :) and he's the one with no tie on at Gala nights.

RogerAZ

I didn't organize any of the private tours, but if our Roll Call is still available. check there for information. If you can't find it there, I'll check what I can find in my notes. They are well worth looking into, as they were all wonderful!

RogerAZ

I didn't organize any of the private tours, but if our Roll Call is still available. check there for information. If you can't find it there, I'll check what I can find in my notes. They are well worth looking into, as they were all wonderful!

Thank you :)

my problem is my husband does not speak english, I have to translate everything and even if I do not do it shouting (he is not deaf) and after asking permission to the tour guide, I have had very rude comments from fellow tourists for "disturbing".

So we go by ourselves most of the time :)

Being on a cruise, in this way, helps me to stay on a diet : I cannot translate and eat at the same time.

Archived