Wine, bring on board or buy on board

TreeCity

I thought I had seen a thread on this but can not find it. Does Princess have a wine package? Is it better to buy on board or bring your own for the dining room? How much is the corkage fee if you bring your own. Any other information is appreciated. Thank you:confused:

There is a corkage fee of $15 in the dining room. However, you can bring a glass from your cabin without paying a corkage fee. I usually buy my wine off the ship, but it depends what port you are embarking from. Fort Lauderdale Total Wines is much less expensive than the ship and they will pack them for you to pick up on your way to the ship.

here is the Ships' wine list and pricing

Mumm Cordon Rouge Champagne $54

Heidsieck & Co. Monopole Blue $60

Veuve Cliquot Champagne $74

Dom Perignon Champagne $179

Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante $27

Korbel Brut Sparkline Wine $25

Korbel Rose Sparkling Wine $28

Domaine Chandon, Brut $35

Chassagne Montrachet $59

Niersteiner Riesling$22

Chateau Ste. Michelle $26

Piesporter Goldtropchen Riesling $27

Santa Carolina Sauvignon Blanc $22

Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc $25

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc $30

Fetzer Fune Blanc $24

Woodbridge White Zinfandel $24

Beringer White Zinfandel $27

Rose D’Anjou Rose $29

Woodbridge Twin Oaks Chardonnay $22

Sylvester Kiara Reserve Chardonnay $25

Wente Estate Chardonnay $25

Robert Mondavi Private Reserve Central Coast Chardonnay $27

Caliterra Chardonnay $28

Rosemount Chardonnay $29

Hogue Chardonnay $28

Baron Herzog Chardonnay $32

Kendall Jackson VR Chardonnay $32

Cuvaison Chardonnay $38

Fazi-Battaglia Verdicchio $27

Bolla Soave Classico $25

Gavi Del Comune Di Gavi $28

Danzante Pinot Grigio $32

Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio $41

AC Domaine Laroche Chablis $32

Premier Cru Chablis $46

Pouilly-Fume $28

Pouilly-Fuisse $34

Chassagne-Montrachet $59

Michel Leon Gewurtztraminer $32

Ariel Non-Alcoholic White Zinfandel $16

Ariel Non-Alcoholic Blanc $16

Woodbridge Twin Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon $22

Santa Carolina Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon $23

Sylvester Kiara Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon $26

Wente Estate Cabernet Sauvignon $25

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet Sauvignon $27

Esser Cabernet Sauvignon $28

Baron Herzog Cabernet Sauvignon $30

Rosemount Cabernet Sauvignon $29

Kendall Jackson VR Cabernet Sauvignon $32

Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon $38

Clos Du Bois Cabernet Sauvignon $42

Kenwood Jack London Cabernet Sauvignon $48

Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon $58

Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon $85

Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon $135

Caymus Special Selection Cabernet Sauvignon $155

Mondavi-Rothschild Opus 1 $169

Carmenere Caliterra Meritage $31

Artesa Elements Meritage $44

Muriettas Well Meritage $49

Nikiari Meritage $55

Duckhorn Paraduxx Meritage $79

Don Maximiano Reserve Meritage $85

Round Hill Merlot $22

Santa Carolina Reserve Merlot $24

Sylvester Kiara Reserve Merlot $25

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Merlot $27

Fetzer Barrel Select Merlot $30

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot $31

Ferrari-Carano Merlot $40

Benziger Merlot $34

Schug Heritage Reserve Merlot $56

Robert Mondavi Carneros Merlot $50

Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir $28

Castle Rock Pinot Noir $32

La Crema Pinot Noir $36

Calera Pinot Noir $38

Wente Estate Syrah $27

Rosemount Shiraz $31

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz $34

Wolf Blass Presidents Selection Shiraz $40

Beaujolais Villages $23

Rothschild Mouton-Cadet $25

Chateaunneuf du Pape $31

Chateau Belair $32

Chapoutier Cotes-Du-Rhone $32

Gevery Chambertin $42

Bolla Valpolicellia Classico $22

Chianti Classico $32

Stefano Farina Barbaresco $38

Stefano Farina Barolo $45

Brunello di Montalcino (DOCG) $49

Bolla Amarone Classico $66

Luce della Vite $79

Ornellaia by Frescobaldi $140

Ravenswood Zinfandel $28

Kenwood Yalipa Zinfandel $30

Spellbound Zinfandel $34

Seghesio Zinfandel $38

Seghesio Old Vine Zinfandel $54

My thought is, if you drink a very good wine it is probably worth buying ashore and paying the corkage fee at dinner. If not, Princess has some decent wines on their list that are inexpensive even when you consider their mark up.

Princess serves wines that we drink and the prices are what we pay when we go out to dinner. So we will order on board.

this post also reminded me to call my Dr to get a new script for my inhaler to take on the cruise. Wine gives asthma attacks but I won't stop drinking it!

We're bringing along a little bit of wine for in-cabin consumption. We may buy a few bottles in the dining room. This is for tomorrow's cruise. We're arriving so late tonight, and I did not want to mess with going to Total Wine on a Saturday morning. If we were staying in a hotel that was closer to it I would.

Princess' wine prices are roughly producer's suggested retail prices plus corkage fee. So, the more expensive the wine and if you could get the wine at a discount, it will be worth it to bring your own. The reverse is true, if you drink inexpensive wines and you can't get much of a discount on you wines, then don't bother.

This is my first Princess cruise. The way I read their rules, it looks like you can bring on a bottle of wine at each port without having it confiscated and returned to you on the last night.

Am I reading it right? I can't imagine they only allow one bottle of wine at embarkation.

Princess' wine prices are roughly producer's suggested retail prices plus corkage fee. So, the more expensive the wine and if you could get the wine at a discount, it will be worth it to bring your own. The reverse is true, if you drink inexpensive wines and you can't get much of a discount on you wines, then don't bother.

Not always true. For some of the better wines, Princess seems to be competitive with/less than liquor stores and even Costco. Not sure you will find Opus One for less than Princess' $169 price (and on our last Princess cruise we were able to get 2 bottles of the Opus One for $129 each--one at the Maitre'Ds wine tasting and a second was offered at the same price when we brought the first bottle to dinner that night). And buying the Opus One in that manner, there was no gratuity added on nor corkage fee when drinking it in the dining room. I think Princess is also price competitive on the Caymus Special Selection and some others. Have had Don Melchor on a few Princess cruises. Princess' price has been at/below Costco's price for Don Melchor.

we bring several bottles with us and may also buy some in the dining room. The price w/ corkage is still a bargain. We usually tip the wine person the first night and have not always been charged the corkage. We don't drink wine in the cabin but mixed drinks we also bring on board in checked bags. Our bar bills are pretty high as well.

I thought I had seen a thread on this but can not find it. Does Princess have a wine package? Is it better to buy on board or bring your own for the dining room? How much is the corkage fee if you bring your own. Any other information is appreciated. Thank you:confused:

Corkage is $15 per bottle. You may bring one bottle per person at embarkation point -- in FLL, easy walk to Total Wines, maybe 15 minutes, plus you walk past a Walgreens in case you need suntan lotions, etc, goggle for address & map.

BOTTLE ALLOWANCE AND CORKAGE FEE IS SAME REGARDLESS OF BOTTLE SIZE. We bought 2 magnum size bottles of Fetzer Valley Oaks Cabernet Sauv. for about $10-$12 each. Wine was very nice. Frei Brothers Redwood Cabernet Sauv (magnum was $9.99) was also nice but we slightly preferred the Fetzer. Magnum size is basically 2 bottles but you only pay for one corkage fee! Husband was a little reluctant to take a bottle that size to dinner but no one raised an eyebrow and they store it for you between dinners.

PLUS -- on Princess, you are allowed to bring wine & beer back from the Ports. Any other type alcohol (rum, etc) will be confiscated and returned to you on the last night.

Our experience has led us to bring one large bottle for the cabin, since we're not in the cabin much it lasts the whole cruise. (9 nights)

One of our favorite hangouts is the wine bar on the CB. Like others have stated, I haven't found the prices much different than anywhere else we go.

Archived