Trouble on Navigator

I don't know, this way to close to the other story. Kid (23 year old - whatever) would have been air vaced. Does Mexico not have helicopters?

Im sure that Mexico has it but is not a public service and the question should be who is going to pay for that service. If he has a medical ensurance that can cover it may be they call for the helicopter but I dont think that RCI will want to pay for that bill.

Im sure that Mexico has it but is not a public service and the question should be who is going to pay for that service. If he has a medical ensurance that can cover it may be they call for the helicopter but I dont think that RCI will want to pay for that bill.

You'd have to wonder about that "large tender with a medical staff." Somebody would be paying for that! Wonder why the captain didn't just pull back into port. Would have been plenty of dockage space available at that hour of the morning.

There is no pool at the back of the Freedom and other information was sketchy too.

While I agree that other info was sketchy, I don't understand why people are making a big deal out of the comment about the pool being at the back of the ship. In the other thread it seemed as though the OP was quoting an email from his daughter. Perhaps the daughter didn't realize the Solarium pool is actually closer to the front of the ship? Either way, I think the reason she referred to it that way is because in her mind the Solarium pool is located behind the main pool area - therefore, it's the back of the ship.

I know when I read that post I immediately knew which pool she was referring to.

I was on the Navigator and pulled into Miami this morning. I have not read the other thread claiming the accident occurred on Freedom, however it most certainly did occur on the Navigator.

End of story regarding which ship it occurred on.

This is a sad story, but it is also remarkably similiar, in fact nearly identical to the story of what happenend on the Freedom of the Seas yesterday. Something's not right. If RC has this many people falling and jumping into empty pools, and sustaining life threatening injuries, they would have come up with a better plan.

If the story is true it's sad, but I've got my doubts.

The minute my son got back from the cruise today and was able to call me, he told me all about it (he doesn't subscribe to "Cruise Critic"). So, yes, a 23 year old young man did sustain a severe head injury by going into the drained pool at a 3 o'clock in the morning party on the Navigator. The net failed. My son, like many other spectators, was just plain freaked out by the whole thing. So don't doubt the veracity of what Breck1969 is saying.

While I agree that other info was sketchy, I don't understand why people are making a big deal out of the comment about the pool being at the back of the ship. In the other thread it seemed as though the OP was quoting an email from his daughter. Perhaps the daughter didn't realize the Solarium pool is actually closer to the front of the ship? Either way, I think the reason she referred to it that way is because in her mind the Solarium pool is located behind the main pool area - therefore, it's the back of the ship.

I know when I read that post I immediately knew which pool she was referring to.

The Solarium on the Navigator is in front of the main pool deck.

The Solarium on the Navigator is in front of the main pool deck.

I am aware of that. However, I can still understand how someone could view it as being behind the main pool deck as well. I just got off the AOS and overheard lots of people making comments how they were "going to be out back at the smaller pool". Regardless, just because someone referred to the pool being at the back instead of at the front doesn't mean their entire post was a lie.

I am aware of that. However, I can still understand how someone could view it as being behind the main pool deck as well. I just got off the AOS and overheard lots of people making comments how they were "going to be out back at the smaller pool". Regardless, just because someone referred to the pool being at the back instead of at the front doesn't mean their entire post was a lie.

Adventure does have a pool at the back. The Navigator and the Freedom do not.

It is amazing how many new cruise critic members decided to join today and only post on these two threads though.

I noticed that. I was going to say something, but I just called someone else on it in another thread and didn't want to sound like the board police.

What a weird subject....first, a thread is started about a very serious incident, but with sketchy and contradicting info, and on a different ship. Then, this thread starts, which sounds legit, but has spawned new aka's. What the heck is going on here? :confused:

I noticed that. I was going to say something, but I just called someone else on it in another thread and didn't want to sound like the board police.

What a weird subject....first, a thread is started about a very serious incident, but with sketchy and contradicting info, and on a different ship. Then, this thread starts, which sounds legit, but has spawned new aka's. What the heck is going on here? :confused:

I am glad someone else noticed too. I hope this isn't a hoax because as a parent of a college student who is currently on spring break, the whole incident makes me sick.

I am glad someone else noticed too. I hope this isn't a hoax because as a parent of a college student who is currently on spring break, the whole incident makes me sick.

Yea, a hoax would be bad.

On a strikingly similar note though, a college kid was critically injured down here in Key West a few days ago. He got on to the roof of the Days Inn. He was going to jump in to the pool from the roof, but had to jump a space between 2 buildings first. He didn't make it. He fell two stories to the concrete below. He had to be flown up to Miami and was in critical condition with head injuries. I have not heard an update of his condition.

Adventure does have a pool at the back. The Navigator and the Freedom do not.

It does? When I look at deck plans the Adventure and Navigator appear to have the same layout for the pool deck. At the front is the day spa/ftiness centre, followed by the Solarium and then the main pool area. Even on the Freedom deck plans it shows the fitness centre at the front, followed by the Solarium and then then main pool area. I don't see any pools at the back (unless you are counting Adventure Ocean).

My point was just that some people onboard get mixed up over whether they are at the front or back of the ship. Technically the Solarium pool is in front of the main pool...but it is not uncommon to hear people refer to it as being behind the main pool either. I think the OP's daughter in the other thread made an innocent error in her description, that's all.

The only thing I questionned on the other thread was why the OP gave his opinion in his original post and then took offence when others did the same. I do find it weird though that they referred to the wrong ship. Maybe it's just me, but if I had a young daughter on a spring break cruise I'd definitely make sure I knew what ship they were on incase of emergency.

It does? When I look at deck plans the Adventure and Navigator appear to have the same layout for the pool deck.

It's a kids pool. Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure have a pool in Adventure Ocean with a waterslide.

It appears that you may have issued a premature BS alert, and it may be appropriate at this time to appologize to the OP for your lack of sincerity in this matter, for what he saw. I believe he was trying to post a factual account of exactly what he saw, and did not need to be accused of anything, but thanked for telling us the truth. I for one appreciate his account of the incident, and hope the young man makes a full recovery!!

I would have to agree with you.

As for the issue of being flown off, there is more involved than what most people think. I was in the USCG for many years. A Flight Surgeon has to approve the medevac and, in many cases, they deny helo medevacs when there are severe head injuries.

It is amazing how many new cruise critic members decided to join today and only post on these two threads though.

I've been a lurker for quite a while. I thought to check the boards now that I'm back in Houston for any info regarding the status of the injured student, saw the misinformation, disbelief, etc and decided to register to set at least *some* of the record straight.

I can confirm about 99% of the info in the OP's post.

ETA that I was actually sitting in the Windjammer Cafe having breakfast when the Captain came over the PA explaining the situation, the critical condition of the student, detour to Cozumel, late arrival to Miami, etc.

I don't know, this way to close to the other story. Kid (23 year old - whatever) would have been air vaced. Does Mexico not have helicopters?

Air vac'ed????? Are you serious? Do you think the US Coast Guard flies all the way to Mexico? Uh, no. Do you really think Mexico has the capability to send helicopters to cruise ships? LOL.

We we on a cruise in November '07, Enchantment. We left Cozumel that afternoon and were nearing Belize in the middle of the night when a crew memeber fell down a flight of stairs and sustained a critical head injury. There were no helicopters to air vac him off the ship, and no facilities in Belize to satifactorily treat him. The ship turned around and headed back to Cozumel, and we missed our port in Belize. An almost identical situation.

It's a kids pool. Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure have a pool in Adventure Ocean with a waterslide.

In my previous post when I mentioned hearing people on the AOS saying they were "going out back to the smaller pool" I can assure you they weren't referring to the Adventure Ocean area. Unless Adventure Ocean is now accepting middle aged men :p

Oh okay, I'm sorry.

Here's a picture looking out of the teen area to the teens-only sun deck.

I could have sworn that to the right (if looking at my picture) that there was a water slide area as well for the kids.)

Maybe my long term memory is confusing me and I'm thinking of the Adventure.

100_0468.jpg.6174fadfdc822eed197328c344352a8c.jpg

As someone who just got off of the Navigator of the Seas today, I can vouch that, sadly, this incident actually happened. I was not on deck when it occured and heard many different variations of what actually happened so will not attempt to go into details. I will, however, confirm that the pools in the main pool area were closed till after 11:00 a.m. that morning. The captain did make an announcement saying that the young man was in critical condition and that we would be at least an hour late into port because of our diversion to meet the tender in Cozumel.

I think the important thing here is to not tear apart minor details but to keep the young man and his family members in our thoughts and prayers. That was definitely the sentiment of everyone I talked to on the ship!

It is terribly unfortunate that the posting is completely TRUE about the accident on the Navigator. A 23 yr old college student did jump into an empty pool that had been drained and netted off. There was a dance party in the Solarium from 11pm to "late" on Wednesday and Thursday. It was a typical night club scene, or should I say a spring break scene... with a lot of drinking, loud thumping music and lots of college kids dancing. (There was no volleyball or anything of the sorts). I attended the 2nd evening and can tell you it was clearly stated throughout the evening that the pools, hot tubs, (and even the horse statues at the end of the pool deck) were OFF LIMITS, in fact, several times in the course of the evening, the DJ stopped the music and scolded the crowd if anyone was out of line. We left the party @ 30 minutes before it happened. Sadly, the young man thought the netting would hold him like a circus net and dove in. It happened @ 3am and the medical staff did the best they could with the circumstances. The injuries were far more than the ship's medical facilities could handle. They did immediately reroute course towards Cozumel and a medical ship transported the young man to a hospital in Mexico by 7am. It was not a case of overnight observation. The ship handled the accident swiftly, doing the best they could to provide the best care. The next day the pool that the accident occurred in was taped off for a time so they could clean out the pool. Our prayers are with the young man and his family. such a tragic situation.

Archived