4-day Greek Island Cruise

2curious

Has anyone gone on this local cruise, operated by Louis Cruise Line, that departs from Athens? We would be in Athens for a HAL cruise in September, and we are considering this 4-day cruise afterwards to: Mykonos, Ephesus, Patmos, Rhodes, Crete and Santorini, and the ship is either Aquamarine or Aegean Pearl. It seems like a good condensed tour to get a taste of the islands when we can only stay a few extra days. We are also considering whether to do DIY bookings of the cruise/hotel/transfers, or to use a local travel agency. We are leaning more towards the travel agency, just to have peace of mind, and not to worry about finding and haggling with taxis with luggage in hand. Any feedback of your experience would be appreciated.

We've travelled on the AP, a few months before Sea Diamond happened, when she was still called Perla. It is very different to the normal cruise, but clean and with plenty of food. The other pax were from all over the world, many were back packers. The cruises are VERY port intensive, which is why we'd use them again. Just don't think great entertainment, pools and music. What we enjoyed the most was sitting on the decks, talking to the most interesting pax we've met on any cruise, and the small islands such as Patmos.

Think ferry travel- small cabins, but well serviced....and more towel animals than any other ship! :rolleyes:

Jo.

Just an FYI. If you go to Santorini you can see a floating barricade around what's left of the sunken "MV Seas Diamond" a Louis Cruises ship.

Having sailed on a Louis Line ship I can't believe I'm defending them but it troubles me that they continue to be unfairly maligned.

After the Sea Diamond incident the cruise line maintained that the charts were inaccurate. Those charts were produced by the Greek Navy; they denied that there were any inaccuracies.

Louis Lines paid for the area to be re-charted; this showed that the charts were incorrect.

For some of the details this piece on Cruise Critic is of use.

The Navy initially rejected claims that the map was inaccurate, and it was widely believed that finding the Navy was at fault would prove difficult. However, a new hydrographic survey carried out by the Hydrographic Office of the Hellenic Navy -- the official government authority for conducting hydrographic surveys in Greek waters and issuing nautical charts -- has now confirmed the findings of AKTI.

According to an official statement from the cruise line, the reef in question is actually located 131 meters from the coastline, instead of only 57 meters as was marked on the official map with which all ships were equipped (Hellenic Hydrographic Service nautical chart no. 423/8). Also, the official map indicated the depth at the point of impact was 18 to 22 meters; surveys have now shown that it is between 3.5 and 5 meters.

I am no Louis Line cheerleader; I sailed with them once out of necessity and wouldn't rush to sign up for a second trip. However, the Santorini incident appears to have been a case of who would fall foul of poor mapping, not if someone would.

Mands

Thank you for your quick responses. I understand that it is not the same level as major cruise lines, but since we are already there in Athens, we thought we could tour the islands without having to return there in the near future. We are looking for shore visits vs amenities on the ship. However, I did not realize that one of their ships sank which now deters my desire to take this cruise. I am reconsidering our options and may just wait to take a cruise from a major cruise line. Thank you for your feedback.

The reason why the Sea Diamond sank is still not settled. The Captain still faces charges. However, in his defense Louis have produced evidence to the effect that the reef marked on the chart was in fact mis-marked: that it extended further out into the caldera than was shown on the chart, and that the Sea Diamond was actually in a position where, according to the chart, she should have been safe.

Turning back to the whole issue of cruising with Louis, there's no doubt that they are not in the same league as one of the industry majors. I think the question to ask yourself is this: what would be more important to you, visiting the islands or the on-board cruise experience? If the former then you would probably enjoy this mini-cruise. If however it's the cruise itself - the meals, the other on-board facilities - then I don't think Louis would provide an experience to equal the major lines.

One other thought: you could just use ferries and visit an island for a few days. Have you come across a book called 'Greek Island Hopping'? Published annually, it attempts to address the questions that might be asked by someone trying to piece together a holiday involving moving from island to island. That's not quite what you want to do in the time you will have, but it provides a very good overview of how the greek islands ferry system works. The 2010 edition is available in the UK now, and can be obtained from Amazon in the US.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Hmmm, I am definitely rethinking this plan. Maybe I will just spend a few days on land tours in Athens, or take a ferry to Santorini. I don't mind basic standards, but there should be a minimum level of quality and service. The review forwarded by Cruisemom42 really caused me to reconsider. Thank you!

There are actually lesser known islands very close to Athens (Piraeus) that are a short ferry ride and very enjoyable to visit, giving you the feeling true Greece, "not just for tourists Greece".

http://www.athensguide.com/aegina.html

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Hopefully the economical problems get straightened out for Greece soon.

Louis Cruises was recently in the news for another problem (not their fault). One of their ships (Louis Majestry) got hit by a huge "rogue wave" off the French coast and the wave smashed through a window of a lounge located in a forward area overlooking the bow. Two passengers were killed, several were injured, and the forward part of that deck was flooded for a few minutes. The ship was not severely damaged. As to the sinking at Santorini, it is difficult to understand how a ship and Captain, who were used to being in those waters several times a month, could hit a known reef! We did read about some charting errors, but it is debatable that this was the actual cause of the accident. One wonders if this is just a "bad luck" cruise line or if there is an issue with the competence of their crew. Keep in mind that this line likes to buy older ships, often sold by other cruise lines because of their age or non-compliance with the latest safety rules, and keep them in service for many more years.

Hank

There are actually lesser known islands very close to Athens (Piraeus) that are a short ferry ride and very enjoyable to visit, giving you the feeling true Greece, "not just for tourists Greece".

I will second the above--you can take a ferry to various of the Saronic islands really close to Athens. Aegina, Poros, Hydra. Here's one website: http://www.greeka.com/saronic/

We spent a couple of days on Poros and loved it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived