Elite/Platinum lounge

Dorset Cruiser

What was to be considered an Elite cocktail lounge/area perk with it's nightly $5.00 special cocktail and speciality hors d'oeuvres quickly became the Elite/Platinum cocktail lounge perk. Then when that didn't result in enough patronage it became come one come all.

Let us not kid ourselves. This feature was designed to sell drinks while offering special cocktail treats. Nothing wrong with that as if we want to find a bar corner in which to have our nightly cocktails, it may as well be where the sumptuous hors d'oeuvres are served and sumptuous they are.

Totally agree with you.

In all actuality, Princess should have just done this in every lounge for all the passengers since it is really not a perk for repeaters. A daily $5.00 special should be for all. Hors D'oeuvres could be for all as they are not really that special.

The Cream of the Crop, over 10 cruises should get rewarded. $5 drink special aka Drink of the Day is for everyone. Not just Elite & Platinum. If that is all we get, that is cheapest of the cruise industry. We have bottles to enjoy in our Caribe balcony, so we will stay there if a show is not interesting or the movie is G rated.

We found out about this lounge the last 2 days of our cruise. Guess we didn't read the info on the Patters till then. Anyhow, we didn't go since we liked to hang out at that time on our balcony.:confused: But I still would like to know what type drinks are at the special $5.00 price? Also what type of appetizers do they serve? Is it always held in Skywalkers? We might make it up there this year.

Thanks!

It isn't listed in the Patters; it's an invitation delivered to your mailbox. Unless your signature leaves out some of your previous cruises, it doesn't appear that you were Platinum on your last cruise so that may be why you didn't know about it.

I recall the drink specials being cosmopolitans, rob roys, margaritas, 20-year old port, and I've drawn a blank now on the others. Apps were giant shrimp (my favourite oxymoron!), smoked salmon, beef tartare, guac & chips, to name a few.

I think it's a great idea; I wish it went a little later than 7 as that's not convenient for late-dining passengers. I'm not sure why some people on this thread are pooh-poohing it. It is what it is; of course it's a way for Princess to make money, but I appreciate a little recognition for having attained Platinum (free Internet is great but you can't dip that in cocktail sauce, now can you?!) and I don't see why every single thing on the ship needs to be available to every single passenger.

I'm not sure why some people on this thread are pooh-poohing it. It is what it is; of course it's a way for Princess to make money, but I appreciate a little recognition for having attained Platinum (free Internet is great but you can't dip that in cocktail sauce, now can you?!) and I don't see why every single thing on the ship needs to be available to every single passenger.

I completely agree. We really enjoyed the lounge, far more than I had anticipated. We didn't always buy the drink of the day; in fact, we used our soda stickers for sodas more often than not, but the setting, the hors doerves and the conversations with fellow cruisers were the best parts.

BTW...it was nice on the Ruby but incredible on the Crown. They offered ship-made whole wheat crackers that I would have liked to sneak home in my suitcase.

We found out about this lounge the last 2 days of our cruise. Guess we didn't read the info on the Patters till then. Anyhow, we didn't go since we liked to hang out at that time on our balcony.:confused: But I still would like to know what type drinks are at the special $5.00 price? Also what type of appetizers do they serve? Is it always held in Skywalkers? We might make it up there this year.
Sorry you didn't see the notice about the lounge. It's not always in Skywalkers as not all ships have a Skywalkers. :) On the Coral, it was held in the Explorer's Lounge, over by the windows.

Appetizers changed every day. Sometimes it was shrimp, sometimes salmon, always several types of cheese, raw veggies and ranch dip, etc.

We really appreciated the lounge on our recent 30 day SA cruise on the Star. We met some truly wonderful people we would never have met otherwise, were offered a pleasant relaxing atmosphere and enjoyed the appys as well as the drink of the day more often than not. Well done Princess for setting this up.

Maybe it was just me but the drinks seem to be a stronger pour than normal and less syrup.

I don't normally order a lot of mixed drinks that have syrup because I don't like heavy syrup. I am a Champagne Cocktail gal.

I had the El Mejor Margarita (Guessing on the spelling) the first night and really liked it and then ordered it at one of the bars and it seemed really syrup heavy. I also thought the Mojito and Cosmo was better too.

Maybe they just had a good bartender.:)

We are platinum and will be on Golden Princess in July to Alaska from Seattle. We will be travelling with some family members who have only cruised with Princess once before. Will they be able to come into the elite/platinum lounge with us?

When we were on the Island Princess we were invited to the "most traveled" lunch with the Captain and since my sister was traveling with us she was even allowed to attend that with us as well as wait in the Elite/Platinum lounge.

I completely agree. We really enjoyed the lounge, far more than I had anticipated. We didn't always buy the drink of the day; in fact, we used our soda stickers for sodas more often than not, but the setting, the hors doerves and the conversations with fellow cruisers were the best parts.

BTW...it was nice on the Ruby but incredible on the Crown. They offered ship-made whole wheat crackers that I would have liked to sneak home in my suitcase.

On the Golden and Sapphire this past year they were checking room cards for the Cocktail Hour, and were not letting in everyone else. The other side of Skywalkers was open for others to enjoy. It is just a nice, quiet area to chill out and enjoy conversation and views. Lately we haven't been buying as many drinks in the lounges, as they have the music cranked up so loud that you just can't enjoy it.

So with you on enjoying the setting and chance for quiet conversation with fellow cruisers. We do enjoy the lounge.

And yes, it is an opportunity to sell drinks, but Princess does provide the Elite cruisers with a complimentary mini-bar set-up in the stateroom, so I really cannot fault them for charging for the drinks in the lounge. They also allow passengers to bring wine onboard......and other lines can be pretty nasty about that.

So with you on enjoying the setting and chance for quiet conversation with fellow cruisers. We do enjoy the lounge.
Unfortunately, on the Coral this past January, it was anything but quiet. There was a group of passengers who must have started drinking early so by the time we got there, they were incredibly loud and obnoxious. You know how it is in a sports bar with people drinking and screaming to cheer on their team? It was very much like that. It was so bad, people who wanted to go to the lounge got appetizers and went elsewhere, which they weren't supposed to do but it was impossible to stay. They drove everyone else out the lounge every night. The waitstaff couldn't say or do anything. We repeatedly reported it to the Captain's Circle Hostess and Cruise Director's staff but whenever they stopped by, the people quieted down. When we asked them to please hold it down so we could enjoy talking to our friends, they yelled at us: "You haven't drunk enough." Edited by Pam in CA

Unfortunately, on the Coral this past January, it was anything but quiet. There was a group of passengers who must have started drinking early so by the time we got there, they were incredibly loud and obnoxious. You know how it is in a sports bar with people drinking and screaming to cheer on their team? It was very much like that. It was so bad, people who wanted to go to the lounge got appetizers and went elsewhere, which they weren't supposed to do but it was impossible to stay. They drove everyone else out the lounge every night. The waitstaff couldn't say or do anything. We repeatedly reported it to the Captain's Circle Hostess and Cruise Director's staff but whenever they stopped by, the people quieted down. When we asked them to please hold it down so we could enjoy talking to our friends, they yelled at us: "You haven't drunk enough."

That is too bad. I can see it really ruining the Lounge. Our first experience with the Elite Lounge was on the Coral as well and we were in Explorer's in the corner and one person was watch something on a large TV and it was very loud. We didn't stay long.

Unfortunately, on the Coral this past January, it was anything but quiet. There was a group of passengers who must have started drinking early so by the time we got there, they were incredibly loud and obnoxious. You know how it is in a sports bar with people drinking and screaming to cheer on their team? It was very much like that. It was so bad, people who wanted to go to the lounge got appetizers and went elsewhere, which they weren't supposed to do but it was impossible to stay. They drove everyone else out the lounge every night. The waitstaff couldn't say or do anything. We repeatedly reported it to the Captain's Circle Hostess and Cruise Director's staff but whenever they stopped by, the people quieted down. When we asked them to please hold it down so we could enjoy talking to our friends, they yelled at us: "You haven't drunk enough."

This seems inexplicable to me -- I mean, not that they were drunk and loud, but that even if they did quiet down when staff appeared, said staff still couldn't/wouldn't admonish them. A stern talking to, prefaced with "you may be quiet now but we have multiple eyewitness identifications of you being the noisy party," doesn't seem an unconstitutional violation of their rights as passengers. In other words, I'm calling that CD staff on the Coral even more worthless than I originally thought, based on our two weeks with them. My condolences that they ruined your fun.

Princess has not promised a "quiet" elite lounge! Relax and have fun.
True, but then they don't warn you that a bunch of drunks will be screaming and shouting with hysteria, either. Some of them brought the term, "horse laugh", to a new level. Most lounges without scheduled entertainment are generally quiet.

Hi, Does anyone know if they will allow children for the elite/suite cocktail hour? (please no flames) We are traveling in the Owners Suite with our 2 sons ages 7 and 9. We would like to drop by before dinner for a drink and apps. They're well behaved--I promise.

Thanks

Princess has not promised a "quiet" elite lounge! Relax and have fun.

I agree 100%. There are so many "quiet" places to sit and have a conversation on the Coral. If you are not in a party mood don't ruin the fun of others. Also, the staff has an obligation to both those that want to party and those that don't. Everybody cruises for different reasons.

Pearl

Hi, Does anyone know if they will allow children for the elite/suite cocktail hour? (please no flames) We are traveling in the Owners Suite with our 2 sons ages 7 and 9. We would like to drop by before dinner for a drink and apps. They're well behaved--I promise.

Thanks

No reason why they should not come, they just won't be able tohave the cocktail of the day.

Thanks

I would think so

Last fall on the CB we received an invitation in our cabin to the Elite/Platinum Lounge. On the first evening, we were greeted by the Circle hostess who appeared to have a list of names. On subsequent evenings we just walked in and enjoyed the hors d'oeuvres and specially priced drinks. While I don't think your traveling companions are eligible to join you, they probably wouldn't be asked to leave, especially if relatively few people attend.

Since this is new, guess not many know about Suite, Elite and Platinum Lounge perk.