Cruises to Mexico / Violence in Mexico

There has been some discussion about our cruise to Mexico aboard the Mariner this fall and the current violence in the border towns of Mexico. One roll call member implied that Royal Caribbean is "thinking about" pulling ALL ports of call in Mexico. I don't know where or how the information was obtained. At this point, I am just curious what you guys know.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Suzi

I have not heard that, and the border towns are nowhere near the ports that the Mariner goes to. I've never been threatened or scared in Mexico, but I have been scared walking down the street in my own home city.;) I will not let fear govern my life. That said, I have no desire to wander around the border towns, either.

I called RCL to ask about the Mexico trips being re-routed to the Pacific Northwest as they did with the swine flu. I would have definitely hopped on that bandwagon, but they told me they were not altering the Mexican trip. I've been on that one twice, and would really like a pacific northwest cruise on the Mariner!!!

That is completely ridiculous and not based on any real facts. Yes, border towns have some issues with violence. Let me assure you that I spend a lot of time in Puerto Vallarta, as well as Cabo and there is no violence. You're safer in those towns than you are in your departure city of San Pedro or Los Angeles. It really bugs me when people lump all of Mexico into one unsafe country. It would be like us labeling compton or south central with the rest of the country. Ridiculous!!!

This is a topic I have some personal knowledge of due to my job. While most of the media has been attentive to the border towns, it is not limited to those areas. There have been incidents in Acapulco, only one or two of which have been reported in the media. Also, a drug lord known for beheadings was found and arrested in Cabo. This is just open source info. A huge portion of what is happening, you will never see or hear in the media.

Kidnappings for ransom have been a way of life in Mexico for a long time, but the number of kidnapped Americans rose greatly in 2009.

But whatever....I don't say these things to scare people. If I felt it was likely to happen, I would not have taken my wife on a 11 night Mex. Riv cruise a few months ago. ;)

I have not heard that, and the border towns are nowhere near the ports that the Mariner goes to. I've never been threatened or scared in Mexico, but I have been scared walking down the street in my own home city.;) I will not let fear govern my life. That said, I have no desire to wander around the border towns, either.

I totally agree with you, and logic would dictate that where the ship goes will not be affected by what has been happening in Mexican border towns, but logic has nothing to do with this. That's why I was asking to see what people here knew.

This is a topic I have some personal knowledge of due to my job. While most of the media has been attentive to the border towns, it is not limited to those areas. There have been incidents in Acapulco, only one or two of which have been reported in the media. Also, a drug lord known for beheadings was found and arrested in Cabo. This is just open source info. A huge portion of what is happening, you will never see or hear in the media.

Kidnappings for ransom have been a way of life in Mexico for a long time, but the number of kidnapped Americans rose greatly in 2009.

But whatever....I don't say these things to scare people. If I felt it was likely to happen, I would not have taken my wife on a 11 night Mex. Riv cruise a few months ago. ;)

That being said, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan still have low crime rates compared to many of the major cities in the U.S.

Just by chance, I read this thread first before I was just about to start a new thread myself as we are looking at a Mariner of the Seas cruise in September. I am not so sure that our concerns are as "ridiculous" as Parkay states.

Having Googled all three ports (and the term violence) earlier today, I am not so concerned with Cabo San Lucas or Puerto Vallarta. I am concerned about what I have read about happening in Mazatian in broad daylight. Yes, we all are smart enough to avoid certain sections of some cities and that even includes some cities here in New Hampshire. On the otherhand, I am not so sure that I want to place myself (and certainly not my wife) in any danger. I realize that these are drug wars that are taking place, but I certainly do not want to get caught in the middle of any crossfire.

Thus, I am not booking just yet and want to watch the situation closely. I may just book the cruise and stay on board if I feel at the time that a particular port is unsafe.

I am concerned about what I have read about happening in Mazatian in broad daylight.

The problem with Mazatlan is the location of the pier. You can not just walk out of the terminal in to town, that is, if you value your safety. The terminal is in a bad part of town and is very prone to crime; mostly petty stuff, but still....who wants to be prone to it on vacation?

The crime stats coming out of Mexico have to be taken with a grain of salt. We know they are often understated as to not scare away tourism.

The best thing you can do is travel in groups and don't be a brain-dead touron. In other words, don't be a voluntary victim.

Just by chance, I read this thread first before I was just about to start a new thread myself as we are looking at a Mariner of the Seas cruise in September. I am not so sure that our concerns are as "ridiculous" as Parkay states.

Having Googled all three ports (and the term violence) earlier today, I am not so concerned with Cabo San Lucas or Puerto Vallarta. I am concerned about what I have read about happening in Mazatian in broad daylight. Yes, we all are smart enough to avoid certain sections of some cities and that even includes some cities here in New Hampshire. On the otherhand, I am not so sure that I want to place myself (and certainly not my wife) in any danger. I realize that these are drug wars that are taking place, but I certainly do not want to get caught in the middle of any crossfire.

Thus, I am not booking just yet and want to watch the situation closely. I may just book the cruise and stay on board if I feel at the time that a particular port is unsafe.

Good luck on that. You'll be watching the situation very closely as this is not going away any time soon. Been like this for years, and will be for many many years to come.

p.s. You should google violence in Los Angeles, or better yet, Detroit, and see which is worse.

You should google violence in Los Angeles, or better yet, Detroit, and see which is worse.

I may be from New Hampshire and certainly did not just fall off of the turnip truck!;)

I just do not want to get into a situation that I could have avoided if I chose to do so.

P.S. I spent five days in Detroit at a convention and was smart enough not to venture out of our hotel unless we were on a bus with an organized tour!

Last November while on the Mariner my husband.myself and our 2 Scottish cruising friends were on a trolley tour of old Mazatlan sitting at the open rear of the bus when somebody asked the guide about crime levels in the town.Just as he was saying how low it was we heard gunshots and at the road junction only one car length away. The bus stopped and locals were diving into doorways while we sat there like sitting ducks. There were about 7 youths firing at each other and one was hit. The bus driver put the foot down and drove away but needless to say we were all shaken.

This is not limited to border towns. That's just where the big $$ is for smugglers because that's where it gets in to the drug addicted United States. The drugs are not cultivated in those towns, so the journey doesn't begin there.

Like Paul, I also have a lot of exposure to this sort of thing. Most (almost all) of the South American drug shipments are coming up through Mexico now. It is a safe route because it is so easy to corrupt Mexican authorites. Most of the air traffic is smuggling in to the Yucatan area. Most of the vessel traffic is smuggling in to Acapulco, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. Acapulco and Mazatlan are landing areas for drugs making their way to Texas. Cabo San Lucas is a landing point for drugs making their way to California. Most of the violence is from rival drug cartels, and smuggler/police fights. That is fact, and those who think these areas have no crime are very very ignorant.

Travellers need to be aware of this so they can avoid it. Travellers who choose to wander off the beaten path can very easily find themselves in the middle of a drug war.

We've been travelling to Baja and the Mexican Riviera for the past couple of years and have never felt unsafe. But we don't go off the beaten path and of course are only there in broad daylight. I'm a tad nervous about Acapulco for some reason - we felt just uneasy walking out of the port on our own (probably because we couldn't deal with the dozens of people wanting to show us their beautiful city). We've booked a tour this time, and assume that the driver & guide will know where not to go.

I would do the same thing in LA if I didn't know my way around the area. It's too easy to wander into a rough neighborhood before you know what you've done.

Thank you for your input. We will be in Cozumel again in two weeks on the Grandeur, and have had a small reservation about safety in that port.

I would hate to miss the margaritas at Pancho's,;) but they aren't worth taking any chances for. We'll be traveling in a group of four fairly strong bodied souls, and will keep all eyes open. Anyone heard of problems on that island? :confused: Thank you again.

Before the recent Winter Olympics in Vancouver there was a lot of worry in both the local and foreign press that tourists were at risk because of the proximity of the notorious 'Downtown Eastside' to some of the venues and hotels.

It appears that these worries were unfounded as visitors used their heads and wits when walking in certain parts of the city.

If you google 'Vancouver violence' you might also see enough that would make you question starting an Alaskan cruise from here.

But just as those of us who would enjoy Mexico would attest, there are too many beautiful and safe things to enjoy in our travels that far outweigh the downside

Thank you for your input. We will be in Cozumel again in two weeks on the Grandeur, and have had a small reservation about safety in that port.

I would hate to miss the margaritas at Pancho's,;) but they aren't worth taking any chances for. We'll be traveling in a group of four fairly strong bodied souls, and will keep all eyes open. Anyone heard of problems on that island? :confused: Thank you again.

You are going with the right attitude and it sounds like you are in a good group. Relatively speaking, Cozumel is very safe. You are more likely to get scammed by locals, than be a victim of any sort of major crime. There is an increased military presence on the East side of the island due to the frequent "square groupers" washing up. ;)

There has been some discussion about our cruise to Mexico aboard the Mariner this fall and the current violence in the border towns of Mexico. One roll call member implied that Royal Caribbean is "thinking about" pulling ALL ports of call in Mexico. I don't know where or how the information was obtained. At this point, I am just curious what you guys know.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Suzi

I´m on the Radiance 10-nt itinerary now, and we have not had any indicatin of problems anywhere we´ve been. We took two ship´s tours, two independent tours, and one taxi to a beach in one port. I have never felt ill at ease anywhere since we left San Diego last Friday. If you want to book a MexRiv cruise, just do it. This is a gorgeous itinerary, and very friendly people everywhere you go. I´d come back here in a heartbeat!!!

Karen

• 1 month later...

According to the World Health Organization, an estimated 1.2 million people worldwide are killed every year due to road accidents, and as many as 50 million are injured or disabled. The majority of these deaths, approximately 85 percent, occur in low to middle-income countries. It is estimated that more than 300 U.S. citizens die each year due to road accidents abroad and thousands more are injured. The majority of road crash victims (injuries and fatalities) in developing countries are not the motor vehicle occupants, but pedestrians, motorcyclists, bicyclists and non-motor vehicle (NMV) occupantsMany cities throughout Mexico are popular tourist destinations for U.S. citizens. Travelers should note that location-specific information contained below is not confined solely to those cities, but can reflect conditions throughout Mexico. Although the majority of visitors to Mexico thoroughly enjoy their stay, a small number experience difficulties and serious inconveniences. Armed street crime is a serious problem in all of the major cities. Some bars and nightclubs, especially in resort cities such as Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Acapulco, and Tijuana, can be havens for drug dealers and petty criminals. Some establishments may contaminate or drug drinks to gain control over the patron.Whenever possible, visitors should travel by bus only during daylight hours and only by first-class conveyance. Mexican insurance is required for all vehicles, including rental vehicles. Mexican auto insurance is sold in most cities and towns on both sides of the border. U.S. automobile liability insurance is not valid in Mexico, nor is most collision and comprehensive coverage issued by U.S. companies. Motor vehicle insurance is considered invalid in Mexico if the driver is found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugsCar rental companies overseas usually provide auto insurance, but in some countries, the required coverage is minimal. When renting a car overseas, consider purchasing additional insurance coverage that is at least equivalent to that which you carry at home. In general, your U.S. auto insurance does not cover you abroad; however, your policy may apply when you drive to countries neighboring the United States. Check with your insurer prior to traveling to see if your policy covers you in Canada, Mexico, or countries south of Mexico. Even if your policy is valid, it may not meet that country’s minimum requirement. If you are under-insured for a particular country, auto insurance can usually be purchased separately on either side of the border. In some instances, Americans have become victims of harassment, mistreatment and extortion by Mexican law enforcement and other officials. tourists should be wary of persons representing themselves as police officers or other officials. When in doubt, ask for identification. Be aware that offering a bribe to a public official to avoid a ticket or other penalty is a crime in Mexico. The most frequently reported crimes involving tourists are taxi robbery (see below), armed robbery, pick-pocketing, and purse-snatching. In several cases, tourists have reported that men in uniform perpetrated the crimes, stopping vehicles and seeking money, or assaulting and robbing tourists walking late at night. Robberies and assaults on passengers in taxis are frequent and violent in Mexico City, with passengers subjected to beating, shooting, and sexual assault. U.S. citizens visiting Mexico City should avoid taking any taxi not summoned by telephone or contacted in advance. When in need of a taxi, telephone a radio taxi or "sitio" (regulated taxi stand – pronounced "C-T-O"), and ask the dispatcher for the driver's name and the cab's license plate number. Ask the hotel concierge or other responsible individual to write down the license plate number of the cab that you entered. Avoid “libre” taxis and the Volkswagen beetle taxis altogether. Although “libre” taxis are more convenient and less expensive, these are not as well regulated, may be unregistered, and are potentially more dangerous. There have been a significant number of rapes reported in Cancun and other resort areas. Many of these have occured at night or in the early morning. Attacks have also occurred on deserted beaches and in hotel rooms. Acquaintance rape is a serious problem. Hotel workers, taxi drivers, and security personnel have been implicated in other cases. Under the best of circumstances, prosecution is very difficult (a fact some assailants appear to exploit knowingly)

I too have first hand knowledge of this area. A couple of years ago we spent a week in Puerta Vallarta. We decided to rent a car and leave the resort for a day. Now that was a mistake. We were stopped by two Mexican cops in full uniform. It cost us $150 US to get rid of them under threat of arrest (reason unknown). I call that stealing, thieving, robbery or whatever other name you want. They were a pair of hold up artists. By the way - their first questions was "how much money you got?"

Since then I refuse to go to Mexico. We have been on ships that stop in Cozumel and we will be on one next month. I will not get off the ship. I'll use it as a day of enjoying the pool etc by ourselves.

Interesting thread. I've cruised to the Mexican Riviera 8 times with the last being in Febuary. I feel safe there as I usually do a group type tour. However, I do understand why people have some fear.

I did read a thread on the Princess boards where a passenger booked for a summer 2011 Mariner sailing got a notice that their cruise had been cancelled as they were pulling the Mariner from Mexico.

Anyone heard anything on that?

We are just off the Radiance 11 day Mexico cruise.

We departed SD April 12 heading with an itinerary that included Acapulco. A few days before our arrival to Acapulco there was a killing of a mother and her daughter in the streets in the tourist area.

Because of this Captain Erik put out a letter giving some details and making us aware of the event.

He stressed that while it may have been an isolated incident, we should be aware of it, be aware of our surroundings and don't go off the beaten path.

We opted to cancel our city tour combined with the cliff divers.

I'm sure it would of been just fine, but we canceled anyway.

You just never know if the drug dealers or who ever would hijack the bus and demand money and such. They have been known to do that.......with that said...it could happen anywhere!!

We have been to Mexico several times and this cruise we only got off the ship 3 ports, Mazatlan, Ixtapa and Ma****llo. We enjoy the ship, we love just being on board.

As always just be aware of your surroundings and use common sense. :)

I too have first hand knowledge of this area. A couple of years ago we spent a week in Puerta Vallarta. We decided to rent a car and leave the resort for a day. Now that was a mistake. We were stopped by two Mexican cops in full uniform. It cost us $150 US to get rid of them under threat of arrest (reason unknown). I call that stealing, thieving, robbery or whatever other name you want. They were a pair of hold up artists. By the way - their first questions was "how much money you got?"

Since then I refuse to go to Mexico. We have been on ships that stop in Cozumel and we will be on one next month. I will not get off the ship. I'll use it as a day of enjoying the pool etc by ourselves.

That's awful,I'm so sorry to hear that.Last week was my first time ever on cruise and to Mexico.I have told my story of what happened with the taxi scam to several bloggers and I am met with anger.Peope who have never had a bad experience cannot fathom that they actually happen and act like the story is fiction and has "holes" in it. People who love Cozumel don't like to hear or want to hear negative stories about happenings there. Everything went fine on the cruise,and the excursion with tour set up by cruiseline.The snorkeling was wonderful,and my son had fun on the zip lines/rapelling tower. It was only after the tour ended and we were on our own that we had a negative but not life-threatening experience.If I go again I do want to sight-see but will just be more careful and stay with some kind of tour group.From what I understand the really nice taxi-tour drivers and booked ahead of time usually by word of mouth. If you wait like I did til the day you're there,all that's left is the scammers,well you really don't know what you're getting. Here is my review and details of account:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=66087.

Always good to see a MFPPP member:)

I agree with you.............one simple question........WHY take any chances???

I have no desire to go to Mexico right now.........I know many are upset the Mariner is leaving LA and not doing the Mexican Riviera........any mexican port I have no desire to go to right now, I'm with you..........I will not get off the ship.........that of course could change but right now............no way..........why??????? There are just too many other choices.

Folks there are too many other choices out there...........

Ive been to Mexico before and im a woman who has traveled alone all over the world. Use common sence and dont go wondering off the beaten path.

Im going on a Mexican cruise October 31st 2010 and will be getting off the ship and taking some shore excursions that are offered by the cruiseline :)

Adri

Archived