4 Ladies in a Cabin

Sauer-kraut

I am thinking of doing a HAL euro/med cruise next year to celebrate 50 year birthdays for my german 'sister' and I. 2 others might accompany us just to make the party a bit livelier,all are Germans and my thought was to make it easier for them to get to a port closer to home.

So my question is: Is it too much to cram 4 adult women (2 large, 1 average, 1 petite) all in the same cabin? I am the only experienced cruiser so I don't want the others to just have a terrible time or bad experience in regard to sleeping arrangements. But, since finances for all of us need to be taken into consideration it would be way less expensive for the extra passengers to join us in the cabin. (I think a Suite would be out of our price range.)

Any information you experienced HAL passengers can give would help a lot!

Thanks in advance

So my question is: Is it too much to cram 4 adult women (2 large, 1 average, 1 petite) all in the same cabin?

My goodness, yes, it is too much.

Get two adjoining cabins in steerage. All the better to remain friends, m'dear. (and there will be two bathrooms that way, too.)

I don't know what size cabin you are getting, but I think that unless it was a "penthouse" , four ladies in a room would be tooooooo much. Only one bathroom for four ladies? Yikes! And the closets are kinda small for four people, too.

Better to spend a bit more and stay on good terms with your friends.

I've had three women in a suite and that was too many! Actually, my mom and I in one cabin can be too many. I only travel with my mom & sis every few years so we are not "in tune" with each other the way hubby and I are. It seemed like we were constantly tripping over each other and someone was always in the bathroom when another person needed in there. I absolutely hate interior cabins and under normal circumstances would never book one. However, if my choice were 4 (or even 3 women) in a suite with one bathroom vs. 4 women in 2 interior cabins with 2 bathrooms, I would probably take the 2 interiors.

On my most recent cruise, my sis was supposed to join us, but it didn't work out. We had 2 adjoining balcony cabins booked because I thought it would work out better, even paying a single supplement, to have 2 cabins and 2 bathrooms for 3 women.

To me it would be okay if you are quick in the bathroom, maybe get a cabin near a stairwell or lifts so that you can go to a public toilet if needed. You could utilize the hairdryer at the desk if needed, as there is power, we actually had 2 hairdryers in our cabin, one was in the closet. Just so long as you can all work together shouldn't be a problem. Besides which you aren't in the cabin all day.

The biggest problem would be the one upper berth.

There is quite a bit of closet space, we travelled with 2 children 6 & 11 and was surprised how much closet space there was.

LOL - you'd have to be out of your mind to cram 4 women in 1 cabin! I did it as a college student, with 3 sorority sisters, and knew I'd never do that again when I grew up <g>. Back then we were poor students, but I sure couldn't justify it after graduating.

Go with the cheapest acceptable 2 cabins - you'll be much happier! I'd stay home before I'd cruise as a party of 4 in a single cabin....I wouldn't even put 4 in a suite.

Sue/WDW1972

Ryndam 4/11/10

Eurodam 3/5/11

I am thinking of doing a HAL euro/med cruise next year to celebrate 50 year birthdays for my german 'sister' and I. 2 others might accompany us just to make the party a bit livelier,all are Germans and my thought was to make it easier for them to get to a port closer to home.

So my question is: Is it too much to cram 4 adult women (2 large, 1 average, 1 petite) all in the same cabin? I am the only experienced cruiser so I don't want the others to just have a terrible time or bad experience in regard to sleeping arrangements. But, since finances for all of us need to be taken into consideration it would be way less expensive for the extra passengers to join us in the cabin. (I think a Suite would be out of our price range.)

Any information you experienced HAL passengers can give would help a lot!

Thanks in advance

Your cruise-novice friends will hate you and cruising in general if you encourage them to all share one cabin. Don't do it.

I have done an inside cabin with 5 of us but 3 were teen boys and dont primp like women..and one was a 13 year old girl.

you might be surprised at the little amount of money extra it would cost to gt 2 cabins instead of 1. (price it all out) maybe look at connecting rooms since it sound like you want to be together.

4 women in one room is too much- for one women tend to over pack and the storage spacce is limited.

Another--someone will be sleeping on a sofa bed and another an upper bunk bed. You all pay the same rate so who gets the beds?

Showers--since you cruised before you know the bathroom situation. whever goes last will have the mess of the other 3.

get two rooms.

I did four women (mid-twenties) in a Veendam oceanview a few years ago. It was a Caribbean cruise, so there weren't a lot of timelines or schedules that had to be met. We survived and it was a fun cruise, but I decided at the end that I was not so strapped for travel money I needed to do that again. I've done three in a cabin a couple of times since and that wasn't as bad.

I will say, having taken my first European cruise this past spring, that I can't imagine four in a cabin for such a heavy itinerary. At least on my cruise there weren't a lot of relaxed mornings and port attractions usually required some travel time, so we were off the ship as early as possible trying to make the first train. Given that, getting four through the morning routine would definitely present a challenge.

I'm with the others, spring for two cabins if at all possible.

Thanks for all the great responses. I agree that it might be a circus all in one room, I really never thought too much about the shower situation since I don't really "primp". Sounds like perhaps connecting cabins would be much better.... unless HAL does some kind of special and the 3rd passenger is $100 or less! :))

4 adult women.....1 cabin.....1 bathroom Seriously rethinks this !!!!

Have you thought about sleeping arangements ? The extra beds will either be pullmam beds . What 50 year old woman wants to climb a ladder to get into bed. If not pullman than the extra bed will be a pull out sofa that 2 will have to use together.

Not worth being stuffed into one cabin to take advantage of the 3/4 passenger savings. Book 2 inside connecting cabins with a direct door between if available. Yes it will cost more than 4 in one room but you will all be more comfortable. You'll have 2 bathrooms which works out so much better.

Hey I'm nearly 50 and I wouldn't mind climbing up a ladder to get in bed! But sharing a cabin with 3 other women? Maybe if I was still 21 and it was a great deal. Its enough trouble tripping over my husband in the cabin. He seems to be blocking everywhere I want to go and there's only one of him.

Thanks for all the great responses. I agree that it might be a circus all in one room, I really never thought too much about the shower situation since I don't really "primp". Sounds like perhaps connecting cabins would be much better.... unless HAL does some kind of special and the 3rd passenger is $100 or less! :))

the 3rd and 4th passenger do get some kind of price break- last year on our cruise it was only 200 more to get 2 cabins instead of all 4 people in one cabin- price it out- it may surprise you

My 2 adult sons and I recently shared a verandah. We travel well together, none of us are bathroom-hogs, we're considerate of each other and each-other's privacy.

We thought there was plenty of storage (3.5 closets and at least a dozen drawers, remember it was a verandah, about 50% larger than an outside).

BUT:

- each of us encountered times where we really needed to use the bathroom when someone else was in it

- dressing for dinner was a bit of a challenge, all needing the extra time and space to do so

- we all developed cabin fever by the 2nd week (the verandah helped, but we were climbing over each other and a suticase and ottoman and chair to get out there)

- we all want/need "down time" and solitude was difficult when in close proximity (older son watched episodes of Battlestar Gallactica, younger son went for walks on the lower Promenade, I slept).

After we got off the ship, we discussed pros and cons. All agreed, next time 2 outside cabins (still want the window) - we'll lose the verandah but gain a bathroom and 33% more space - and it will cost about the same (+/- 10%).

The cost of cabins has dropped over the past 20 years. Cruising was much more expensive back then (compared to the inflation adjusted dollar). I recently found the receipt for our first cruise in 1988. I spent $2800 for a cabin with 5 people, DW, DMIL, DD*2 and me. Adujsted for inflation, that would have been about $5000 today.

We had 5 people, two under 12, in a cabin with 4 berths and a rollaway. I still believe it was one of the best cruises we ever took, because it was magical for our daughters, and DMIL had a wonderful time.

Since I don't know your financial situation, I would counsel to go for it, it booking two cabins would stretch the budget to breaking. My philosophy is that there are no bad cruises, just good ones and great ones.

Myself, my Mother and 2 sisters (Mom in her 80

Myself, my Mother and 2 sisters planned a cruise for March 2008. While planning we were trying to decide who would room with whom..Since we all live scattered around the United States we don't get a chance to see each other often. We didn't want to miss out on spending as much time together as possible so in a moment of

Myself, my Mother and 2 sisters planned a cruise on the Westerdam for March 2008. While planning we were having a hard time deciding who would room with whom should we get the 2 cabins everyone had suggested. Since we lived scattered all over the United States we don't have a chance to spend much time with each other. So in a moment of "insanity" as some have suggested we booked a quad verandah cabin. We had a grand time and had no problem coordinating dressing times and such. While 2 dressed the other 2 would sit on the verandah and visit. We also did some showering in the spa are as we had the thermal suite pass for the week. We also had no problem with storage in the cabin as there is cabinets above the sofa, drawers under the bed and in closet. We didn't pack like we were going to be gone a month for our 7 day cruise. By the way, we gave Mom (83) one bed, oldest sister (61) the other bed, myself (59) the sofa sleeper and the yougster (57) the upper bunk. We thought of it as a 7 day slumber party and I would do it again in an instant if only I could. Mom passed away exactly a year later of cancer! We will treasure those memories of our wonderful time together. Whatever you decide to do, have fun and live for the moment!!

Myself, my Mother and 2 sisters (Mom in her 80

Myself, my Mother and 2 sisters planned a cruise for March 2008. While planning we were trying to decide who would room with whom..Since we all live scattered around the United States we don't get a chance to see each other often. We didn't want to miss out on spending as much time together as possible so in a moment of

Myself, my Mother and 2 sisters planned a cruise on the Westerdam for March 2008. While planning we were having a hard time deciding who would room with whom should we get the 2 cabins everyone had suggested. Since we lived scattered all over the United States we don't have a chance to spend much time with each other. So in a moment of "insanity" as some have suggested we booked a quad verandah cabin. We had a grand time and had no problem coordinating dressing times and such. While 2 dressed the other 2 would sit on the verandah and visit. We also did some showering in the spa are as we had the thermal suite pass for the week. We also had no problem with storage in the cabin as there is cabinets above the sofa, drawers under the bed and in closet. We didn't pack like we were going to be gone a month for our 7 day cruise. By the way, we gave Mom (83) one bed, oldest sister (61) the other bed, myself (59) the sofa sleeper and the youngster (57) the upper bunk. We thought of it as a 7 day slumber party and I would do it again in an instant if only I could. Mom passed away exactly a year later of cancer! We will treasure those memories of our wonderful time together. Whatever you decide to do, have fun and live for the moment!!

Archived