Temperature of Food?

gehrandt

We just sailed on NCL and will be on the CB in Oct. We noticed, even in the specialty rest., that many times the food was not hot when it should have been. Tasted good and well presented, but potatos always cool. Lobster was cold as was the drawn butter. DH asked for a baked potato one night and it was hard and cold - he didn't say anything as he wasn't very hungry anyway.

I know that they have a ton of people to serve and it is hard to keep things hot - but I wonder if it is this rather then germs that causes outbreaks.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had noticed the temperature of food, especially on the CB?

I don't think cold food by itself can cause the stomach flu/Norovirus. If it were under-cooked, that would be one thing. But food that's cooled off before serving? Doubtful -- we're not talking egg salad sitting out in 100-degree heat under a burning sun for two hours.

If you get a plate that's not hot (the food, not the plate itself, of course!), don't hesitate to send it back. I realize they're serving banquet-sized crowds and some plates can sit out for a little longer than we'd like before reaching the table, but there's still no reason we have to eat food at an improper temperature. That said, I really only recall one time that my entree arrived less than hot. It was warm just not hot. I mentioned to the waiter that it could be hotter and he immediately whisked it away and a few minutes later, a fresh hot dish appeared.

We just sailed on NCL and will be on the CB in Oct. We noticed, even in the specialty rest., that many times the food was not hot when it should have been. Tasted good and well presented, but potatos always cool. Lobster was cold as was the drawn butter. DH asked for a baked potato one night and it was hard and cold - he didn't say anything as he wasn't very hungry anyway.

I know that they have a ton of people to serve and it is hard to keep things hot - but I wonder if it is this rather then germs that causes outbreaks.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had noticed the temperature of food, especially on the CB?

Noro is not a food borne illness.

It is brought onboard by people.

For the most part, the food I've been served on a Princess ship has been hot, if not steaming hot. If it isn't, you can ask for a hot replacement.

For the most part, the food I've been served on a Princess ship has been hot, if not steaming hot. If it isn't, you can ask for a hot replacement.

In all my Princess cruises, about 90 days worth so far, I've only had to do this once and it was my most recent cruise on the Diamond up in Alaska. My venison loin came out cold and the potatoes on the side were only luke-warm. The server switched it out in a matter of a couple of minutes for a nice hot meal (or he microwaved it, but either way it was hot and tasted great).

How do you know that they don't just shove it into a micro wave, nuke it, and plop it back in front of you? You don't!

Having eaten institutional food and stuff dished up by army cooks, I have had it all ways, but in reality there is no excuse for undercooked or cold food.

Dick

To avoid food poisoning prepared food should ideally be kept at either less than 8 degrees centigrade or over 63 degrees centigrade unless it is served withing two hours of preparation. It would be interesting to know what the time scale is on a cruise ship. I have a feeling that once it is put out it doesn't hang about for long.

In all my Princess cruises, about 90 days worth so far, I've only had to do this once and it was my most recent cruise on the Diamond up in Alaska. My venison loin came out cold and the potatoes on the side were only luke-warm. The server switched it out in a matter of a couple of minutes for a nice hot meal (or he microwaved it, but either way it was hot and tasted great).

I have never seen a microwave on board even in the crew areas.

MDR food, for the most part has always been hot enough for me. Same goes for Sabatini's but not so much with the Crown. The buffet/cafe caribe is another matter. Absolutely terrible when it comes to serving hot food hot.

Bob

On the Island in January, I was never served an entree in the mdr that was hot - just maybe lukewarm when I was lucky. I did not complain because didn't want to stress or delay others at our table for six. Everything was presented beautifully but just not hot and I like my hot food to be hot. (I put a pat of butter in a baked potato one night and it never melted, not one bit.) Didn't go hungry though because I love the cold soups, the salads, all that wonderful bread and desserts - so I had plenty to eat without the entree. Could have gone to the buffet but didn't. This is my seventh Princess cruise and the first time this has happened. Great cruise and the temperature of the food was my only complaint. Won't keep me from my Princess cruise in the Baltic next summer.

Go to the International Cafe. They use a microwave to heat up the cold sandwiches when you want a warm/hot one.
I've never been to an International Cafe so I didn't know about the microwave there. But, I've taken galley tours and the Ultimate Ship's Tour and never saw a microwave in the kitchen. Before microwaves, there were ways you could reheat food, I promise. :)

I would always be more concerned about the amount of people who don't wash their hands after going to the toilet as a potential cause of illness than the temperature of food - especially as the latter is monitored and its time on presentation monitored.

I really have a lot of difficulty accepting the lack of personal hygiene that some, and in particular adults demonstrate.

While it is necessary for children to 'eat dirt' in order to build up resistance (rather than rely on drugs) it is not necessary for adults to spread Hepatitis A by being too lazy and or ignorant to wash their hands after defecating (i didn't want to upset the profanity checker :))

Archived