Emerald vs. Golden

HollDoll

I've only been on one Princess cruise--on the Emerald, which I thought was a beautiful ship. I'm thinking of a cruise this summer on the Golden. Will I be disappointed? Are there many differences between those two ships? Thanks!

The Golden had a major overhaul last year and got many of the features that makes the Emerald so special, so I don't think you will be disappointed. She was a beautiful ship when I sailed on her in 2004, and I bet she's even better now.

We have sailed on both ships, although it's been longer since we were on the Golden. They are both great ships, and I wouldn't hesitate to sail either one. One of the things I liked when we sailed on the Golden was the Vista Lounge. IMHO this was a much better secondary venue for shows than the Explorers Lounge on the Emerald. I don't know whether the changes made last year replaced the Vista with Club Fusion or not, but I really wish they would get rid of it on the Emerald and bring back the Vista. The only other difference will be in the overall number of passengers. We personally prefer smaller over larger.

We were on the Golden for 2 weeks to Hawaii. We blogged during the cruise and took pictures of every public area on the ship over a period of several days. We called it Select a Deck and highlighted one deck each day for several days.

Check it out on our blog:

http://thegeomonkeys.com/category/hawaii-2010/

Enjoy

Hey Duck Duck Cruise, your photos are great! Thank you so much for sharing. I have to go through the entire thing slower, but I LOVE your emphasis on food--even lots of photos. I'm a foodie too. And I totally share your opinion (from Emerald in January) that the Horizon Court food is nearly inedible. I went there once after our initial lunch there upon embarkation, and couldn't find a thing that even looked good. It's off my list. How does one get to do that Chef's Table thing, and how much does it cost? Looks like a great time!! Thanks!

We have cruised on both ships..Emerald is newer and bigger, Golden a bit smaller but with almost the same amenities since the upgrade. Big advantage for the Golden in Alaska is the enclosed pool area which the newer ships do not have. Which ever you choose have fun..Alaska is beautiful!!

We were on the Golden for 2 weeks to Hawaii. We blogged during the cruise and took pictures of every public area on the ship over a period of several days. We called it Select a Deck and highlighted one deck each day for several days.

Check it out on our blog:

http://thegeomonkeys.com/category/hawaii-2010/

Enjoy

Great blog, 5 stars......:):):):):)

Bob

We have cruised on both ships..Emerald is newer and bigger, Golden a bit smaller but with almost the same amenities since the upgrade. Big advantage for the Golden in Alaska is the enclosed pool area which the newer ships do not have. Which ever you choose have fun..Alaska is beautiful!!

The Emerald is 113,000 gross tons, 952 ft in length, 3080 passengers, space ratio 38.

The Golden is 109,000 gross tons, 950 ft in length, 2590 passengers, space ratio 42.

Ref 2010-2011 Princess Cruise Atlas.

I've only been on one Princess cruise--on the Emerald, which I thought was a beautiful ship. I'm thinking of a cruise this summer on the Golden. Will I be disappointed? Are there many differences between those two ships? Thanks!

With all the updates done to the Golden in May 09 you can't go wrong with either choice.

Check out my Golden Alaska pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1022921&highlight=alaska+redone

Golden is beautiful we have sailed her 3 times to Alaska including right after she went through Drydock. The indoor pool is a huge plus for Alaska.

As for weather we have sailed in June and in August and found the weather comparable.

Have a great trip. - Shelly :)

Duck Duck or anyone: What is the dress code for the Chef's Table? Is it dressy? Also, does anyone know how I can find out in advance which night's are formal on a cruise?

On our cruise there were 3 of them. All were held on smart casual nights and that was the dress code for the Chef's Table.

how I can find out in advance which night's are formal on a cruise?

This is very general, but usually the first formal night is the night after embarkation, usually a sea day. On a 7 day cruise, the second one is usually two nights before the end of the cruise. If the cruise is from Saturday to Saturday, the second formal night would be on Thursday.

These are generally the formal nights, but sometimes they vary.

The only thing that was different on the Golden than the Emerald that I could tell was no Thermal Suite on the Golden. No biggie, I survived!:D Got to try out the Sanctuary instead for the first time and loved it.

Archived