The Summit in dire need of refurbishment

ccmermaid

I guess I am not looking in the right place. Where are the photos.

Thanks

Hi, look at the top of this forum and you will see the words

"Photo Gallery". Click on that and it will take you to lots of pictures.

Ships, staterooms, food, islands, etc.....lots of pictures from lots

of different people.

Yes the photos do show parts of the Summit in need of a little love and care. On the other hand, if I look close enough- I am sure I could come up with similar pictures vom a brand new ship. Search and you will find. No offense for the OP- maybe it is just the way he enjoys a vacation.

Michael

I looked at the photos and have to say, they're pretty scary.

This is NOT what I expect from Celebrity, even if the cruise was a bargain. It's just not up to X standards and if I were a Celebrity executive I'd make refurbishing this ship a top priority.

There's old and then there's poorly maintained and in disrepair. From the looks of those photos, Summit belongs in the latter category.

I have to agree. You expect to see a 10 year old ship with some wear and tear. I mean 2000 plus passengers every 7 days, on the sea every day, hey, it's a ship. But some of those pictures ARE NOT up to Celebrity standards. Having sailed Celebrity almost every year since 1992, that is not what I have come to expect.

Some things are what they are on ANY ship, but some of those pictures were pretty bad. I also would not let that totally take over my vacation, and I would not make a point to find every little rust spot or chipped paint and photograph it either.

I am sure the service and everything else was just fine.

I'll see for myself come May. When we were planning our cruise on Empress of the Seas, people reported that it was a "rust bucket." We didn't see a single problem with it & had a very great cruise, although the weather didn't cooperate. Same thing with Grandeur of the Seas. She's & the Century are our favorites.

I WILL report back after our cruise. I am not a cheerleader for any cruise line, we've tried & liked 4 different ones. I've sailed on the best maintained ships in the world with the US Navy. I know this site is anonymous & anyone can say anything, but you can always take what I say to the bank.

Geojobes, keep the ship afloat for us as we sail upon your return. We are also open to trying other lines, but really liked HAL and (so far at least) Celebrity is for us a very close #2.

We heard some concerns about the Century before sailing her in February. We found the Century to be beautiful and very well maintained. She's due for a refurb early May.

Our son is a Coast Guard officer so I concur with your assessment on military maintainence. They keep their ships going so long it's incredible! Our son's ship is "Celebrating" it's 30th anniversary this year. Have a great cruise, we are sure looking forward to ours!

We were on the Summit on the Feb 27th sailing and to be truthful we were very disappointed! The ship was in dire need of refurbishing and the service was not up to the standard that Celebrity has always shown. We are elite members and have cruised on Celebrity and Princess and most recently before this one on the Equinox in Europe. The moral of the workers on the Summit as dismal and the food was just ok. The buffet was not what it used to be and service overall was terrible. We were in CC on the balcony was dirty and was never cleaned the whole 7 days we were on the ship.

We were on the Summit on the Feb 27th sailing and to be truthful we were very disappointed! The ship was in dire need of refurbishing and the service was not up to the standard that Celebrity has always shown. We are elite members and have cruised on Celebrity and Princess and most recently before this one on the Equinox in Europe. The moral of the workers on the Summit as dismal and the food was just ok. The buffet was not what it used to be and service overall was terrible. We were in CC on the balcony was dirty and was never cleaned the whole 7 days we were on the ship.

I am not being sarcastic at all but ... How dirty can a balcony get?

The reason I ask this is because we are booked on the Summit in May and have a balcony.

There's old and then there's poorly maintained and in disrepair. From the looks of those photos, Summit belongs in the latter category.

Agree. ;)

When we were planning our cruise on Empress of the Seas, people reported that it was a "rust bucket." We didn't see a single problem with it... Same thing with Grandeur of the Seas. She's & the Century are our favorites.

Funny how perceptions differ. The photos referenced here remind me of the condition of our aft JS on the Grandeur. Our cabin was really bad. ;)

I am really starting to become afraid. I wish I read these before final payment was due:( These people that are complaining seem like reasonable people. And the photos the one person posted are not something I would like to be looking at. On the other hand, I am paying a decent price for the room. I hope that will make up for things? Sigh, maybe not.

I am just happy I have a balcony incase of mold/mildew smells. I just can't handle that. I will leave with a can of Lysol , and disinfectant wipes, and clean the room myself if I have to.

There are obviously opposing perceptions concerning the states of ships. I agree with one poster that said the words "dire need" is a bit over the top. If a ship was EVER in dire need of repair, it could not sell. Simple. Who do you know ENJOYS a ship that's in dire need of repair? Yet, it keeps selling rooms. So, apparently a majority of passengers feel the ship is in acceptable shape. Or are they so blind they can't see for themselves? We all value our hard earned money and want the best for our dollar. If this ship was in such bad shape, there would be articles written about it and the cruise line would be forced to either dry-dock it immediately, or get rid of the ship. Actually, when looking at recent ship inspections, the Summit got very high ratings. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I like to look at facts and numbers.

• People still choose to sail the Summit from their past experiences either with the ship itself, or with the cruise line.

• The ship has received very high inspection ratings. (a score of 98 from the CDC - 85 is passing)

• As for "dire needs" Celebrity does not feel that an immediate dry-dock is necessary at this time. They've been in the business a long time. I trust they know what they're doing. If not, Celebrity wouldn't be in business, or at least wouldn't receive the high praises that it does from travel magazines and websites.

• I've read tons of recent reviews on this site as well as others about how beautiful and enjoyable the Summit is.

Those are facts.

There are obviously opposing perceptions concerning the states of ships. I agree with one poster that said the words "dire need" is a bit over the top.

I've read tons of recent reviews on this site as well as others about how beautiful and enjoyable the Summit is.

Agree again. ;)

I am really starting to become afraid. I wish I read these before final payment was due:( These people that are complaining seem like reasonable people. And the photos the one person posted are not something I would like to be looking at. On the other hand, I am paying a decent price for the room. I hope that will make up for things? Sigh, maybe not.

I am just happy I have a balcony incase of mold/mildew smells. I just can't handle that. I will leave with a can of Lysol , and disinfectant wipes, and clean the room myself if I have to.

Hi,:) please don't be afraid. Did you look at all the other photos that

are showing good things?:D

My final payment is already made for my May sailing and I have no fear at all:)....I sailed her in January and had a balcony and everything was

fine:)

Are you kidding me? The m class ships are elegant, the service is incredible and the cuisine is comparable to a very good land restaurant; not fine dining, but really nice. Also, the specialty restaurant is fine dining. The ship never feels crowded. Some of these posts are making the ship out to be a disaster. It is really a beautiful ship. When you get on board and look around, I feel strongly that you will be laughing at these negative posts!

I am really starting to become afraid.

No need to be afraid and don't you dare clean your own cabin. If there is mold, that is unacceptable, so notify your steward immediately. ;)

There are many gorgeous photos posted of the Summit. Enjoy those. ;)

I am really sorry you had so many issues with your cruise.:(

I have never gone around and taken photos of your choices.

Did you not find anything fun at all? Other than the itinerary?

Sorry your week was ruined and didn't find anything good to

take photos of........:eek:

As for mold, I would have asked the cabin attendant to come

in and re-clean it. Usually when you ask they will help, pronto

and if not, their supervisor is the Asst Chief Housekeeper.

I guess outdated is personal opinion....I sailed her in January with

friends and had a fabulous time:D

Well said Lois!! We love the Summit and cannot even imagine wasting our valuable vacation time trying to find something wrong to take pictures of. This ship is in great shape considering she is 10 years old, the service is outstanding and we loved the food and the itinerary. I was wondering the same thing, were there any photos of good things about the ship or only negative?

It is a ship in the middle of the ocean for pete's sake and there will be rust. Cannot avoid that. You will find wear and tear on any ship unless it is brand new.

To the OP sorry your trip was ruined, but we had a wonderful time and would sail her again in a heartbeat!!!

Here are two pictures taken aboard the Summit. The first photo was intended to be a "good" one. But, if you take a closer look at the detail circled in red, you will see that there is rust. So, the (supposedly) "good" picture is actually a "bad" picture. However hard I tried to take "good" photos, most of them came out "bad".

Summit26c.jpg.a3cd500f7f59eadf47f8fbfdfd7b87e2.jpg

Summit27.jpg.5680050a054a811e48bba2281849d4d2.jpg

[quote name='ccmermaid']Here are two pictures taken aboard the Summit. The first photo was intended to be a "good" one. But, if you take a closer look at the detail circled in red, you will see that there is rust. So, the (supposedly) "good" picture is actually a "bad" picture. However hard I tried to take "good" photos, most of them came out "bad".[/quote]

What is you beef with the cruiseline...in other words, why are you doing all this???

[quote name='ccmermaid']Here are two pictures taken aboard the Summit. The first photo was intended to be a "good" one. But, if you take a closer look at the detail circled in red, you will see that there is rust. So, the (supposedly) "good" picture is actually a "bad" picture. However hard I tried to take "good" photos, most of them came out "bad".[/quote]
The first pictures looks good to me. I would not have even noticed the rust unless it was pointed out to me.

Could you please post ALL of your pictures ( I understand if you dont want to post pictures of yourself or spouse ) to give us a better idea and so we can spot things for ourselves.

Well, after reading all these negatives threads on the Summit......I'm still going in May. I'll decide for myself if she's beautiful or if shes a 'rust bucket." I gotta say, I don't go cruisin' to look for rust or worn carpet, I go to relax & have fun. I will report back on what I see. I've said before that this is an anonymous board & people can & do say things that are not entirely true. They find & say things that fit their agenda. Well, my only agenda is to have fun, some decent food, a few good drinks & a lot of relaxing. Most of you don't know me, but people who do would tell you that what I say can be taken to the bank. I'll post a review when I return. I wish I was going sooner. I'm also retired Navy & know a thing or two about ships & their maintenance.

CCMermaid, I hope your future cruises are on a line that pleases you. (I truly do, no sarcasm was intended.)

I too wonder just what your agenda is.

I have looked over your pictures. They do show some areas that need attention and some wear and tear. But, come on the ship is 8-9 years old, has sailed over 3/4 of a million passengers. Since her last refurb ('08) 200,000 passengers. There is going to be wear and tear.

I think the pictures that bothered me a bit were those of the deck chairs, in particular, the one with the straps missing. But all the other stuff you photographed is minor.

You do realize that rust is formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. The ship = iron. The environment around it is water and air, ergo rust.

In a perfect world all cruise ships would be pristine, rust free modes of transportation, but it ain't a perfect world. You can look a ships of a like age on any cruise line and you will see some of what you classify as dire need.

You want to avoid "wear and tear" pick one of the ships that were put in service in the past year. You want to avoid rust, quit cruising.

BTW, I sure hope you didn't spend a whole lot of time photographing this stuff, because that would be just sad.

I should be judged because I didn't like this sofa?

[URL]http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx276/ccmermaid/Summit/?action=view¤t=Summit13099.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx276/ccmermaid/Summit/?action=view¤t=Summit13118.jpg[/URL]

[quote name='ccmermaid']I should be judged because I didn't like this sofa?

[URL]http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx276/ccmermaid/Summit/?action=view¤t=Summit13099.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx276/ccmermaid/Summit/?action=view¤t=Summit13118.jpg[/URL][/quote]

Wow. You have high standards! :eek: I'm having a hard time seeing anything wrong even with the close-ups. Don't like the pattern? Color? :confused:

I can see the stains on this fabric and I do think thats past a point. However I'm scheduled to take a cruise on the Summit in 10 MONTHS and I intend to keep my reservations on this ship. If those stains are on my chairs or sofa etc ( and one recent poster was in the exact same cabin I am going to have and he gave it poor reviews due to cleanliness etc) I will immediately call housekeeping and have them try to remove the stains or bring in another chair etc. I would not like to sit on a chair with stains like that. The "wear" on the fabric doesn't bother me as I have sailed on ships with similiar wear but several stains like the ones shown in the photos I do feel present a "dirty" experience and my response would be to TAKE THE CRUISE and CALL housekeeping pronto fast, let them know your displeasure and if they have to clean and re-clean again then so be it, if they have to find a clean chair somewhere else then they can find it. I am wondering CCmermaid did you tell anyone of your displeasure and if so what was the response? Maybe I missed that in this thread. On all my cruises I have had great service from housekeeping and sometimes I've had to ask twice but thats ok those folks work like dogs and I try to have a bit of compassion for them BUT it IS their job to provide a clean atmosphere so unlike one poster who suggested cleaning her own cabin I would say No Way, tell them what you want and expect and then let them do THEIR job. and for all the years I've read and commented on CC I'm sorry I still don't know what a troll is...please someone explain.

[quote name='ccmermaid']I should be judged because I didn't like this sofa?

Maybe.

Let's get some framework for reference. Please take some photographs of the following:

Your sofa at home in your most used room
Your shower all the way around including the plumbing
Your bedroom, including the bedding
The corners in your bathrooms
Your vehicle inside and out
Your patio and/or deck. Please include all wood so we can see the condition and how all the parts meet with foundations even if concrete or stone.

Then maybe we can all see how you live versus the relative similarities of the issues you have with the way you sailed and answer your most recent question about being judged.

I know I want to see these things so I can be fair.

Archived