Everything Serenade of the Seas

I have been reading the message boards for quite some time, but I have never posted a question or comment. My wife and I are leaving out of San Juan on April 17 on the Serenade of the Seas. We are doing the St.Thomas, St Croix, St Kitts, Dominica, and Barbados route.

I have seen posts for "Everything ..... of the Seas" except for the SOS. Is there an "Everything Serenade of the Seas" post somewhere that I can't find? Any help would be great. If not maybe we could start one now.

Thanks

We did this itinerary in Jan and loved it. However, the Serenade is our favorite ship so far. That was our fourth time on her. All of the Radiance class ships are gorgeous in my opinion. So much glass everywhere that you almost constantly have a view of the sea....and love the glass elevators. We have been on her twice to the Southern Caribbean, Alaska and the full Panama Canal transit....and we are booked again for next Jan. The staff we have had has been extremely friendly and the Captains very personable. The layout is very easy to navigate too. We were on her the first time when she was only a few months old. When we were on her in Jan, she still looks very good, but of course there is a bit of wear in some places but overall....still looks gorgeous to me! Have a wonderful time on your cruise. Loved St Kitts!!:D

I have been reading the message boards for quite some time, but I have never posted a question or comment. My wife and I are leaving out of San Juan on April 17 on the Serenade of the Seas. We are doing the St.Thomas, St Croix, St Kitts, Dominica, and Barbados route.

I have seen posts for "Everything ..... of the Seas" except for the SOS. Is there an "Everything Serenade of the Seas" post somewhere that I can't find? Any help would be great. If not maybe we could start one now.

Thanks

First of all Welcome to Cruise Critic and your first post which I hope will be the start of many.

Here is the link to the roll call for your cruise Serenade of the Seas April 17, 2010 "A" Route Stop on over and say Hi.

We look forward to seeing you on board as my husband and I are doing this cruise.

I agree, the Serenade is my favorite of RCI's ships. The Radiance Class are the perfect size. The focus on providing ocean views was the best concept incorporated into RCI's ships. It is too bad that has been lost on later classes of ships.

The Serenade's crew has won fleetwide awards for outstanding service. They deserve the awards. My favorite waiter, Loyd Fernandes, is on the Serenade. Hopefully you will have the pleasure of meeting him.

Eric

We'll be on the Curacao, Aruba, Dominica and St. Thomas Route. Anyone know (for sure) when the formal nights are? I'll guess the 2nd night and the 2nd to the last night but I just want to verify.

We'll be on the Curacao, Aruba, Dominica and St. Thomas Route. Anyone know (for sure) when the formal nights are? I'll guess the 2nd night and the 2nd to the last night but I just want to verify.

Yes you are right, 2nd night, and 2nd to last, - Sunday and Thursday.

Help --- I am anxiously awaiting the opening of Alaska 2011 itineraries. I have a specific cabin in mind for the Radiance (which I am hoping is still going to Alaska). Today, someone hinted that the Serenade might be replacing Radiance in Alaska. So, my question to those familiar with Serenade is what port balcony would be best for viewing Alaska? If you care to share your cabin number I would appreciate it --- we would probably be going to Alaska last week of May.

Many thanks for your reply(ies).

We're going on her in June 13th, from Puerto Rico top Curacao, Aruba, Dominica, St Thomas and back to PR. This will be our first cruise - so we are VERY EXCITED! It's great to hear so many positive comments about the ship.

Todd and Jyl

I was on the same route on the Serenade (St. Thomas...Dominica) in January and just loved it. If you haven't yet, check out the member reviews section - I wrote a review, and there's also a good recent one by printingchick. These will give you more feedback and some good tips on the ship and the ports.

Have a great time!

I was on the same route on the Serenade (St. Thomas...Dominica) in January and just loved it. If you haven't yet, check out the member reviews section - I wrote a review, and there's also a good recent one by printingchick. These will give you more feedback and some good tips on the ship and the ports.

Have a great time!

StaceyCT - I already read your review (and printed it off for DH to read)! It was very helpful and I've already referred our traveling companions to read all the reviews. I'm so glad I found this site! It's going to take me a while to go through everything. Glad I have a couple of months.:)

Just got off the ship on Saturday. :( (Can I go back now?)

We did the "B" route but had a wonderful time on a wonderful ship. I don't have any complaints about the ship, the crew or the food. It was amazing.

Formal nights were Sunday and Thursday nights. However, we did eat at Portofino on the 2nd Formal night. (DELICIOUS!)

Have a great time.

For those planning a B2B, there is a luncheon held on the turn over day for those staying on the for the 2nd week. Also, they have a Consecutive Cruisers get together on the Friday to explain the procedure and offer some specials - one of them being 2 dine for the price of 1 at either Chops or Portofinos for Day 1 of the 2nd week. A great deal!

This is absolutely my favourite ship in the fleet. Crew is fabulous - service is outstanding. You will love it.

Thanks for starting this thread. I am cruising on her, but not until January! One thing that I haven't been able to find are any Compasses from the Caribbean sailings. Does anyone have any that they could post (or email)?

Thanks!

I have them all for the 2 wks we were on Jan/Feb - haven't loaded them in my computer because things change so much, they would be outdated as soon as I got them in, wouldn't you think? Is there anything specific you would like to know?

Thanks

Serenade of the Seas our favourite ship so far, runs a close second - her sister ship the Jewel,

Check out the Photo Gallery above in CC,

and this link http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj147/us2Rcrew/Serenade%20of%20the%20Seas

for hundreds of Photos of and around the Serenade.

Welcome to CC and happy cruising, enjoy.

Help --- I am anxiously awaiting the opening of Alaska 2011 itineraries. I have a specific cabin in mind for the Radiance (which I am hoping is still going to Alaska). Today, someone hinted that the Serenade might be replacing Radiance in Alaska. So, my question to those familiar with Serenade is what port balcony would be best for viewing Alaska? If you care to share your cabin number I would appreciate it --- we would probably be going to Alaska last week of May.

Many thanks for your reply(ies).

Wait - OH, No - if Serenade might be replacing Radiance in Alaska, where is Radiance going, and which ship is replacing Serenade in Southern Carib route??? Tell me it's not so.... Or is this just a rumor?

Hello,

I will be cruising on SOS on May 1 along with my parents, my sister, and 2 friends. This is my first cruise and I have a lot of questions. Hopefully, you have some answers. We are very excited and a bit nervous about all the planning we still need to do.

In General:

1. What time can we board the SOS on May 1?

2. Has anyone used the luggage valet service at the end of the cruise? If so, how helpful was it? I have read some horror stories about SJU on the weekends. Our flights leave around 4:00 PM on May 8.

3. How does formal night work? What's the dress code? Is formal night optional?

4. Rum runners? Do they work or have they been getting confiscated?

5. Can we bring bottled water on board?

Shore Excursions

1. Which is the best island to do a zip-line tour and with which tour operator? Cost?

2. What is the best tour operator for Buck Island Reef? Costs?

3. How is the St. Lucia tour with Cosol Tours?

4. Are there any good hiking trails on the islands (Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, St. Croix)?

That's it for now. I will probably think of more later.

Thanks!

Hello,

I will be cruising on SOS on May 1 along with my parents, my sister, and 2 friends. This is my first cruise and I have a lot of questions. Hopefully, you have some answers. We are very excited and a bit nervous about all the planning we still need to do.

In General:

1. What time can we board the SOS on May 1?

2. Has anyone used the luggage valet service at the end of the cruise? If so, how helpful was it? I have read some horror stories about SJU on the weekends. Our flights leave around 4:00 PM on May 8.

3. How does formal night work? What's the dress code? Is formal night optional?

4. Rum runners? Do they work or have they been getting confiscated?

5. Can we bring bottled water on board?

Shore Excursions

1. Which is the best island to do a zip-line tour and with which tour operator? Cost?

2. What is the best tour operator for Buck Island Reef? Costs?

3. How is the St. Lucia tour with Cosol Tours?

4. Are there any good hiking trails on the islands (Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, St. Croix)?

That's it for now. I will probably think of more later.

Thanks!

I only have one answer but its a good one - lol. Cosol's tour is wonderful - that is actually one reason we booked this cruise, DH and I did this last spring and want to take our daughter and her husband there this year.

I'm on the June 13th Serenade cruise as well and was also wondering about formal night. It's usually on the 2nd and 2nd to last night, but sometimes they change it to the 3rd from last if that's a sea day, which it is in our case. If anyone has recently been on the Serenade with the St. Thomas, Dominica, etc. stops please let me know. I like to book the specialty restaurants on formal nights.

Anyway, I was one the Serenade last March, so can only speak from my experience at that time. We had no problem with rum runners. From what I remember we arrived at the port around 11 am and boarding was a bit slow, I think it took about an hour total. When we got on the ship I left my bags with hubby and headed back to the liquor store at the port for cokes and water. Not a problem.

We don't like to dress up more than business casual on a cruise, so we eat in the specialty restaurants on formal nights. I was on 3 RCL cruises last year and formal nights run the gamet as far as dress goes. I've even had some waiters say not to miss coming to the dining room on formal nights, even if you don't want to dress.

We didn't use the luggage valet service on our Serenade cruise because we left the following day, but used on on our Freedom cruise last year and it was great. We had flights later in the day as well, so didn't want to lug the luggage all day. Worked like a charm! Only problem was I had booked the flights about a year in advance so didn't qualify to pay any luggage fees by the airlines. When I received our final cruise bill RCL had charged me for airline luggage fees, which I had to straighten out when we got home.

Archived