We have cruise air

Bojangles

We are going on a river cruise in August. I elected to include air because it was two for one. I checked it out, and it really was legit. It cost us $1600 r/t for 2. If I purchased them my self it would have been over $3200. So It really was a good deal. Problem! we are on British air in economy and there is no way to upgrade even if you pay for it. If we do, our tickets will revert to regular price. I have been able to acquire aisle seats, which will help. I have heard nothing but bad things about British air, and I am afraid we will be very unconfortable for this long haul. Can anyone give me positive feedback on British Air. Thank you.

We are going on a river cruise in August. I elected to include air because it was two for one. I checked it out, and it really was legit. It cost us $1600 r/t for 2. If I purchased them my self it would have been over $3200. So It really was a good deal. Problem! we are on British air in economy and there is no way to upgrade even if you pay for it. If we do, our tickets will revert to regular price. I have been able to acquire aisle seats, which will help. I have heard nothing but bad things about British air, and I am afraid we will be very unconfortable for this long haul. Can anyone give me positive feedback on British Air. Thank you.

Dive into this thread from the BA board at Flyertalk. I don't know why you have heard nothing but "bad things." If we were not committed to earning and burning Skyteam miles I would be very pleased to use BA for transatlantics. I've sure others with more experience on BA will provide more details.

I am afraid we will be very unconfortable for this long haul.

You'll be uncomfortable because you're flying economy, not because you're flying British Airways.

Why did you book economy if you're so afraid of discomfort?

Just flew cruise air with Princess on BA r/t to Rome with connections at LHR. Everything worked out perfectly. Of course the economy seats were just that , economy seats but plane was in good condition , audio/video at each seat, cabin crew and ground personel were pleasant and knowledgeable and of course you still get fed - as edible as any airplane food with unlimited alcohol. (recommend you leave the breakfast - we found it unedible) We used choice air which is the only way I would do it so you can pick your flights. Hope this helps.

Sorry did not want to upset anybody. I have heard everything from Flyers talk. I have been in Economy before on AA for the long haul. The seat configuration was 2-4-2. on our flight with BA it is 3-3-3. That is the reason I chose to do Isle seats. I can not set for very long. Thank you for your replys.

We booked Economy because I thought we could upgrade with American Express. British air will not honor US american express. The fare for Business class is more than we could handle. If I could do it over, I probably would book my own air and use my miles. Thanks again for all your replys.

Well, I will try and be an optimist here:

Flyertalk has everyone from every airline loyalty program complaining…. Just the way it is.

I’m assuming you will be flying the PHX-LHR route and thus you will get the long haul over with as fast as possible without any stops on the east coast.

I have flown BA on that route several times and thought the FA's and equipment was good (excluding seat pitch).

You got to learn a lesson about cruise air first hand, which is never assume anything (lol).

Take an Ambian and just try to sleep as much as possible so the time and discomfort will be a minimum, and enjoy your cruise!

John

I elected to include air because it was two for one. I checked it out, and it really was legit. It cost us $1600 r/t for 2. If I purchased them my self it would have been over $3200. So It really was a good deal. Problem! we are on British air in economy and there is no way to upgrade even if you pay for it. If we do, our tickets will revert to regular price.

We booked Economy because I thought we could upgrade with American Express. British air will not honor US american express. The fare for Business class is more than we could handle. If I could do it over, I probably would book my own air and use my miles. Thanks again for all your replys.

In the spirit of a cautionary tale to others:

What we have here is a situation of assumption vs reality. The OP bought a "twofer", then wanted to upgrade, presumably with Amex Membership Rewards points. Two flies in the ointment.

First off, cruiseline air tickets are often (if not always) different from those purchased by the consumer in the open market. You're most likely getting bulk tickets which have extreme restrictions on their use, including upgradablity.

Second, all upgrades are not the same. Often there is the issue of the underlying fare basis -- unless you have an eligible fare basis, no upgrading is possible. Bulk tickets are truly restrictive in this regard. In addition, each FF/rewards program has its own rules for redemptions, including upgrades. MR, not being a part of a specific airline program, has many different policies, depending on the airline involved.

Personally, I don't believe the problem is with BA, but rather with the entire desire to upgrade a bulk ticket. You would likely have gotten the same result with a bulk ticket from UA/AA/CO/DL or whomever. As a tip-off, you indicate that the price would revert to "regular" if you upgrade.

So, the lessons are: Cruiseline tickets have restrictions. Upgrades are contingent on more than just having enough miles. Confirm the eligibility for upgrades before committing to a ticket purchase. Know the rules and policies of your FF/reward program.

Sorry for having to find this out after the fact, OP. Wish I could be more optimistic for you.

Thank you very much that is a very good explanation. I have talked to my agent and you are exactly right. They buy in bulk and these tickets are not upgradable or are they replaceable. I have learned a lesson about buying airline tickets through some river and cruise lines. But we did save some money. We will just enjoy the trip, and book our own airfare next time.

I have heard everything from Flyers talk.

The thing about Flyertalk (having been a regular poster there in recent years) is that for a frequent flyer a coach seat on any airline is a pretty horrible prospect. The vast majority of contributors are first/business class dwellers.

The thing about Flyertalk (having been a regular poster there in recent years) is that for a frequent flyer a coach seat on any airline is a pretty horrible prospect. The vast majority of contributors are first/business class dwellers.

This T-shirt pretty much sums it up: LINK

I'll admit it....the airline that makes it easy for me to sit up front gets my business. I am spoiled, and I want to stay that way. Call it that special feeling you get boarding a 757 from the 2L door (2nd on the left side) and taking a left turn instead of a right.

I am an airline floozie.....ply me with a few elite perks, upgrades, and bonus miles and I can be had. Maybe I should be condemned to wear a scarlet FF on my chest.

I have flown BA many times in coach on flights between 9 and 11 hours each. Not the most comfortable but not horrible. Do I wish I could upgrade? Sure. But coach is not an empty wasteland on flights. Many people fly long hauls in coach every single day.

Enjoy the flight by thinking just how much you are saving. You will probably be flying cheaper than almost everyone around you.

We fly nothing but economy. I have never understood why one would spend that much additional for business class, unless it's an ego thing. Lordy, it's not like you spend a couple of days on the aircraft. And we are not youngsters (67 and 66). Use your money for something else. But that's just us. We've flown British Airways several times for vacations, and I can truthfully say we have enjoyed each experience. Could the food have been better - sure. Could the seats have been more comfortable - yep. Flight attendants more attentive - don't see how. Price better - maybe, but not noticeably. Main thing, they (BA) have gotten my wife and I from point A to point B safely, promptly, fairly inexpensively. We'll gladly fly with them again. Kinda like Lufthansa also, but BA is our favorite.:o

We fly nothing but economy. I have never understood why one would spend that much additional for business class, unless it's an ego thing. Lordy, it's not like you spend a couple of days on the aircraft. And we are not youngsters (67 and 66). Use your money for something else. But that's just us. We've flown British Airways several times for vacations, and I can truthfully say we have enjoyed each experience. Could the food have been better - sure. Could the seats have been more comfortable - yep. Flight attendants more attentive - don't see how. Price better - maybe, but not noticeably. Main thing, they (BA) have gotten my wife and I from point A to point B safely, promptly, fairly inexpensively. We'll gladly fly with them again. Kinda like Lufthansa also, but BA is our favorite.:o

Here we go.

If you fly biz or F it`s an "ego thing".

Your way off base with that comment. May I ask you why, in this terrible economy you are cruising? Is it just an ego thing?

Enjoy your lonnnggg flight in steerage.

Rich

....I have never understood why one would spend that much additional for business class, unless it's an ego thing.....:o

Your right, you don't understand and your assessment on why cracks me up:rolleyes:

We fly nothing but economy. I have never understood why one would spend that much additional for business class, unless it's an ego thing. Lordy, it's not like you spend a couple of days on the aircraft.

Try it...then tell us if your ego is sufficiently massaged at the end.:rolleyes:

Yep, you've got me. Now you have made me sad and ashamed for my comments (not). Biz class and first, a waste of my money, unless my company is still paying for it (which they did for years, by the way). Economy/world hunger/nuclear disarmament have nothing to do with it. As I said earlier, my opinion. Those are like a couple of other things I can think of. Everyone has one. Take care.:)

Biz class and first, a waste of my money, unless my company is still paying for it (which they did for years, by the way). Economy/world hunger/nuclear disarmament have nothing to do with it. As I said earlier, my opinion. Those are like a couple of other things I can think of. Everyone has one. Take care.:)

So when you flew first or biz on your employer's dime it wasn't an "ego thing" but when it's your money and you choose to conserve it, then everyone else is feeding their egos? I can't agree or disagree with you because I honestly don't follow the logic. :confused:

Are you really sure everyone sitting "up front" doesn't give their money and time to various causes? I'm sure some people do, indeed, sit in First as an ego thing and do nothing to improve the world outside themselves. But don't broad-brush the situation. ;)

We fly nothing but economy. I have never understood why one would spend that much additional for business class, unless it's an ego thing.
Biz class and first, a waste of my money, unless my company is still paying for it (which they did for years, by the way).

Is this the definition of hypocritical or justification?

Economy/world hunger/nuclear disarmament have nothing to do with it.

Ummm, well OK then, glad you clarified that one..:confused:

Is this the definition of hypocritical or justification?

Ummm, well OK then, glad you clarified that one..:confused:

Merely stating a fact. Justification/clarification to you was not/is not/will not be my intent. You indeed flatter yourself. And, by the way, I was very impressed with your nom de plume, indicating cruising prowess, and, I am sure, its attendant use of business class air.

We'll chat later. Holmes out.....;)

And, by the way, I was very impressed with your nom de plume, indicating cruising prowess, and, I am sure, its attendant use of business class air.

Dude, I have no idea where you came from and what the hell you are rambling about:confused:

nom de plume???? Had to look that one up and your ranting about my pen name??? AZjohn??? It's my name and where I freaking live when I'm not working. But your overwhelming knowlege of everyone elses reasons will probably distort that truth too.

Just so I make myself perfectly clear, business class for me (and probably the large majority) has nothing to do with "ego" as you have stuck in your brain. It likely was for your own ego when you flew it all the time, but I really don't know what is going on inside your brain (and I really could care less).

You go ahead and keep your preconceived prejudices why passengers sit in business/first and stay in the back all I care. I'm sure we will be both happy that way!

Archived