People are sick again on the Mercury

moncrystal

Thanks - I did see this when I searched the area. Do you recommend the Buffet or the BBQ Plates. It all looks good, and can't wait to try. Thanks again!!

Go with the Buffet! It has everything you would get with the plate. Come to think of it, since I have been here the past 6 years, I can think of no one who has ever just bought a plate! Enjoy!

Just a thought, but when I was in China 5 years ago (not long after SARS), every shop, hotel, and public space, had a tray outside with a bleach/water solution, on a spongy mat, that you were required to step into (shoes on) and only then were you permitted to step inside. It seems it was one way to destroy bacteria possibly being harbored on shoe bottoms. At first it seemed strange, but after a short time you got to looking around for it. Seems like it could be a good time for cruise ships to adopt something like this.

One other thought...is Mercury the ONLY ship sailing out of this port? If not, why is no other ship being affected?

One other thought...is Mercury the ONLY ship sailing out of this port? If not, why is no other ship being affected?

Right now its just the Mercury. The Carnival Fantasy will begin year-round cruises from Charleston in May.

You may also want to check your own state too. It's rampant all over the country.

Maybe you should try cruising out of CA? ;)

If you read the CDC web site about the incubation period, in all likelihood it was brought on-board since they sailed Sunday night and the first symptoms were reported Tuesday. Additionally if you have an upset stomach because of rough seas but don't have vomiting or diarrhea, that's reportable as a symptom of norovirus until confirmed or not.

I'll bet you can't find any cruise ship in the world that doesn't have five people report an upset stomach to the sick bay on a cruise.

It HAD to be brought on board as the Norovirus has a 5-7 day incubation period!

When you are standing in line to board the ship and they hand you the little slip of paper to sign asking if you had been sick, blah, blah, blah

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SAY YES AND GET OUT OF LINE????

1 it's brought on board.

2 Charleston has a massive College community

3 What are the conditions of the actual port?

Ships don't get sick, PAX bring it on. I am still amazed that it is just a struggle to get people to wash thier hands and use the sanitizer...

Quote by Patrick IL

"I am still amazed that it is just a struggle to get people to wash thier hands"

Patrick, those people who don't wash their hands on a cruiseship?

They probably (more than likely) don't wash them at home either.

Its trying to train someone to do something in 1 week that they

don't do in their normal lives:(:eek:......I agree with you that

its a struggle and more than that, it is REALLY REALLY SAD:(

Hygene? For many of us, it is a regular thing...washing your hands,

brushing your teeth, taking a shower.... but for other folks? Not so much:mad:

Quote by Patrick IL

"I am still amazed that it is just a struggle to get people to wash thier hands"

Patrick, those people who don't wash their hands on a cruiseship?

They probably (more than likely) don't wash them at home either.

Its trying to train someone to do something in 1 week that they

don't do in their normal lives:(:eek:......I agree with you that

its a struggle and more than that, it is REALLY REALLY SAD:(

Hygene? For many of us, it is a regular thing...washing your hands,

brushing your teeth, taking a shower.... but for other folks? Not so much:mad:

Big problem on cruises...when I see people blow past the hand sanitizer and start digging in the buffet it really upsets me.

It seems this story might not be true. Someone who lives in NC posted saying that the TV station that originally aired this news said it was not correct.

Even if there are 5, it's not 300. We sail on Monday. Can't wait and we will be washing our hands!

Pat

We sail on Monday with Pat. Why does it seem each cruise (now the April 9th cruise) has a target on it:eek: I just heard (hopefully not confirmed) that our sailing will be delayed due to a Coast Guard Inspection:eek::eek:

When will it end for bad publicity for Mercury out of Charleston (which is absolutely one of the most lovely cities in the entire USA;). I agree, Charleston is not to blame -- people are.

Will we hear the same publicity about Carnival Fantasy? Just a thought.

Lucy

Why does it seem each cruise (now the April 9th cruise) has a target on it:eek: I just heard (hopefully not confirmed) that our sailing will be delayed due to a Coast Guard Inspection:eek::eek:.

Hey Lucy,

Would you mind please keeping your target on it to your cruise? ;) April 9th don't need no stinkin' target!

Have a great sailing. Please don't break the ship before I get my turn.

Steve

5 People? Are you people kidding me? Why are we even talking about this?

This is less than 1/2 of 1% of the people onboard. There are close to 1100 passengers and probably 700-800 crew members.

I guarantee that there are at least 5 people sick right now on EVERY cruise ship sailing right now.

You are totally right. The news is only reporting any illness onboard since it has had so many ill every cruise so far out of Charleston. Five it not even recordable with the CDC.

I can tell you I live and work in Charleston and our open office (cubeworld) has just over 100 people and not one person has had noro. I know it is around but do not know anyone here that has actually had it.

Archived