The Coral, The Panama Canal and LA - An Aussie viewpoint!

Thanks for the marvelous review and wonderful pictures. Loved reading it from an Aussie's point of view.

I was so interested in your comments about Panama and especially Anne Gordon. We have done the Panama cruise a couple of times but never were able to get in the Embera Village trip. We would have gone with Anne Gordon as I have read so many good things about her and enjoyed corresponding with her about her tour. I was amazed at your treatment there, but when/if we ever do that tour, I think now it will definitely be through the ship's excursion! I can imagine that must have been a scary experience.

I remember the discussion on here about Tim Tams, but on our one day in Sydney last year I forgot all about them. I was so mad at myself when I got home! Then lo and behold found them at a Target store here and picked up several packages. Next time I checked they were gone and even the manager couldn't remember that they once carried them. The package said they were made in Australia but distributed by Pepperidge Farms here. They are definitely an addiction!! Love them!

I hope you'll be posting in the CC Review section so it will be available for everyone to read.

Loved it, Eileen. And I did get honorable mention. :D One question. Does Clive ever wear long pants? Everyone is freezing and wearing parkas/jackets and there stands Clive in his shorts. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

It was great meeting you both.

Pia

I think I put the exact same sentence into an email to Eileen

Pretty soon you leave on your cruise

Only Eileen knows what you look like. Too bad she's not traveling with you, I bet she wishes she was

Hopefully my dad will keep you laughing. Went to watch him in a comedy stand up show tonight, he got all the laughs

Linda

Greatly enjoyed your review. It brought back memories of our Panama Canal cruise (Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco).

It was interesting seeing your evening at the Rustic Inn in Ft. Lauderdale. A very good friend of ours father and brothers used to supply the crabs for that restaurant for years until they retired from crab fishing. She still talks about it and visits them when she goes home for a visit.

I have a question for you, being a fellow Australian, did you require yellow fever vaccations for the Panama Canal. My husband just told me that he thought we would have problems re-entering at Brisbane international if we didnt have a yellow fever vaccination certificate

There were no vaccinations required at all for the countries we visited. We did however have the swine flu vaccination before we left just in case. It is free anyway so we thought' date=' why not?[/quote']

Just to add a note ....

Yellow Fever is not required for the Panama Canal.

You are correct Costa in what you have heard,

but it only effects certain countries.

We were on a cruise that called at several ports in Brazil,

and were told the same thing.

It required a YF vaccination, and if you did not have one,

would be questioned on your return home,

and not allowed in, till you had one.

In our case we could not board the ship without one,

so that took care of that.

Wow what a wonderful review and report of your trip. We have been to New Zealand and Australia on a Hal (Statendam) cruise in 2006. We spent 5 wonderful days in Sydney. We had planned to do the 34 day cruise around Australia (Mar.14) but had to cancel. We looking at Mar. 13, 2011 Sydney to Singapore. If we do we want to spend some time in Australia before the cruise. Thank you for your great report.

Wow what a wonderful review and report of your trip. We have been to New Zealand and Australia on a Hal (Statendam) cruise in 2006. We spent 5 wonderful days in Sydney. We had planned to do the 34 day cruise around Australia (Mar.14) but had to cancel. We looking at Mar. 13, 2011 Sydney to Singapore. If we do we want to spend some time in Australia before the cruise. Thank you for your great report.

Thank you Boards. I hope you make it "downunder". We are a big country so spend as much time as you can here. You can always come back. We have now been to Florida, California and Nevada. 3 down - 47 states and territories to go!

Thank you Boards. I hope you make it "downunder". We are a big country so spend as much time as you can here. You can always come back. We have now been to Florida' date=' California and Nevada. 3 down - 47 states and territories to go![/quote']

Just think it's almost time for your next cruise! I just toasted you with a caramel Tim Tam. The last on in the package but I have more in the freezer.

Hi Eileen - have been away so just caught up with your review today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Love the photos - brings back memories of our Panama Canal cruise on the Coral last year. Also enjoyed your review of Las Vegas (we stayed at the Luxor) and LA.

Vera

Hi Eileen - have been away so just caught up with your review today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Love the photos - brings back memories of our Panama Canal cruise on the Coral last year. Also enjoyed your review of Las Vegas (we stayed at the Luxor) and LA.

Vera

Thanks Vera. It was a wonderful trip all round!

Fantastic review Eileen - loved every minute of it.

I noticed you went to both a Pirates Dinner Show and the Medievil Times show. I am looking at doing one of them during our stay in Anaheim - any advice? I have 2 boys aged 6yrs & 9yrs.

Fantastic review Eileen - loved every minute of it.

I noticed you went to both a Pirates Dinner Show and the Medievil Times show. I am looking at doing one of them during our stay in Anaheim - any advice? I have 2 boys aged 6yrs & 9yrs.

No we only went to the Pirates Dinner Show, there were people on our coach that got dropped off at the Medieval times dinner.

If you have 2 boys of that age it would probably be a nice night for you all. Don't expect much in the way of the food though. And you can't actually hear what the actors are saying because they have the sound up so loud that it is distorted. But they involve the younger kids in the show so your boys would probably enjoy it. We found it very ordinary.

Another thing is, we booked online with a pickup by coach. If you will have the use of a car, book direct with the theatre because they were selling tickets for $20 each and we paid $75 each. I don't think the coach pickup was worth the extra you pay, but if you haven't the use of a car, there is not much you can do about it. IMHO if you get the tickets for $20, that is about what it is worth.

I can't comment on the Medieval show though. Maybe you could ask everyone's opinion on the LA thread.

Billy and Charlie's Mum,

Thank you for your wonderful review!

We are sailing on the 21st of April on the Coral from Ft Lauderdale to Victoria (Canada that is, not Aus), we get to disembark at home instead of having to take the 5 hour schlep home from Vancouver.

If you have a moment, could you clarify something for us please...secret forward deck...is it on baja and caribe on the Coral?

We plan to be very mobile during the Panama transit...on our balcony, up front (If we can figure out where to go) and on the promenade deck. I'm so excited, 18 days on ship, great food and friends to meet. We've booked a bunch of tours through Princess (too chicken to book otherwise...my husband left me...).

We loved your part of the world the last couple of times we were there. We did the 2 week cruise from Sydney to Auckland with 5 days in Sydney and a week on the north Island of New Zealand, and also did Auckland to Honolulu. Now we are waiting to do the circumference of Australia, you live in the most beautiful place in the world!

Many thanks if you have time to respond.

Liz and Howard :)

Billy and Charlie's Mum,

Thank you for your wonderful review!

We are sailing on the 21st of April on the Coral from Ft Lauderdale to Victoria (Canada that is, not Aus), we get to disembark at home instead of having to take the 5 hour schlep home from Vancouver.

If you have a moment, could you clarify something for us please...secret forward deck...is it on baja and caribe on the Coral?

We plan to be very mobile during the Panama transit...on our balcony, up front (If we can figure out where to go) and on the promenade deck. I'm so excited, 18 days on ship, great food and friends to meet. We've booked a bunch of tours through Princess (too chicken to book otherwise...my husband left me...).

We loved your part of the world the last couple of times we were there. We did the 2 week cruise from Sydney to Auckland with 5 days in Sydney and a week on the north Island of New Zealand, and also did Auckland to Honolulu. Now we are waiting to do the circumference of Australia, you live in the most beautiful place in the world!

Many thanks if you have time to respond.

Liz and Howard :)

The secret deck is on both Baja and Caribe. Baja is best because it is a bit higher. You go straight along the corridor until you come to a door that says no admittance, don't worry about that, just open the door and you will see another door straight ahead. Go through that door and you are out the front of the ship. Fantastic view. Don't tell everyone though!

I am glad you enjoyed my review.

Thanks for the review, I have been entranced reading it this morning!

The Panama Canal is on our list of cruises too....maybe in a few years!

It was also good to get some feedback on the Wyndham Anaheim - we are "owners" too and like to use the properties as much as possible when we travel.

Good tip about the vegemite, I was wondering how to take some with me to Hawaii next year.

Am going to buy some Tim Tams this week, haven't had them for ages!

Thanks again:)

Debra

Thanks for the review, I have been entranced reading it this morning!

The Panama Canal is on our list of cruises too....maybe in a few years!

It was also good to get some feedback on the Wyndham Anaheim - we are "owners" too and like to use the properties as much as possible when we travel.

Good tip about the vegemite, I was wondering how to take some with me to Hawaii next year.

Am going to buy some Tim Tams this week, haven't had them for ages!

Thanks again:)

Debra

Nice to talk to another Worldmark owner. You won't be disappointed in staying at Wyndham Anaheim. Even though you use a lot of credits, it is a fantastic resort. The people there are fantastic. Best one we have stayed at.

Eileen, your review is AMAZING.

I now know that the Panama is a MUST DO!!! I've recently been bumped from the Star Princess in March 2011 (it's been re-deployed), so this itinerary may be the way to go. I really want to see Mexico - your pictures told a thousand words.

Thank you so much also, for putting forward a typically Aussie point of view re tipping & taxes. Like you, I will always try to do as the Romans do, but often feel uncomfortable/awkward and constantly worry that I haven't got it right!!! Glad to see it's not just me!!

I'm going to bookmark this thread for future reference - so-o-o-o much really good info - thanks again.

PS STKI Tanya & Kevin : we MUST catch up before you leave

Eileen, your review is AMAZING.

I now know that the Panama is a MUST DO!!! I've recently been bumped from the Star Princess in March 2011 (it's been re-deployed), so this itinerary may be the way to go. I really want to see Mexico - your pictures told a thousand words.

Thank you so much also, for putting forward a typically Aussie point of view re tipping & taxes. Like you, I will always try to do as the Romans do, but often feel uncomfortable/awkward and constantly worry that I haven't got it right!!! Glad to see it's not just me!!

I'm going to bookmark this thread for future reference - so-o-o-o much really good info - thanks again.

PS STKI Tanya & Kevin : we MUST catch up before you leave

Thank you for your kind words. If you ever have the chance to do this cruise, grab it. It was a wonderful cruise, with a great itinerary on a fantastic ship. I too love Mexico. We are looking at cruises for the end of next year, they are just starting to appear, so that we can go back. For us the next big one is next May next year on the Diamond. Asia, transpacific and Alaska, 23 days. I will hopefully do a review on that one too (from an Aussie point of view of course) however, on our rollcall at the moment there are twice as many aussies than americans LOL.

Archived