Lines cruising the British Isles?

Hello! I had big plans for a summer 2011 cruise to the British Isles on Princess. Sticker shock is an understatement...I have booked, but certainly can't keep it at these insane prices! I wondered if anyone knows...or can tell me where to look to find out...what lines cruise the British Isles during the summer months. I have looked at a lot of websites, but many only have Northern Europe...

Thank you!

I know that both Regent and Oceania do British Isles, but I suspect they're more costly than Princess. Here's an idea: Maybe looking at those prices will make you feel better about Princess's prices and you'll feel ok about going with the line you want?

Or: Why not check the boards of the other lines that you're more or less familiar with, that you feel you might enjoy, and do a "search" to see if British Isles are mentioned. Similarly, check the roll call section of ships you might be interested in.

Or, what many folks I'm sure would suggest-- consult a good TA, one who knows cruising well.

Good luck in finding something appropriate.

Tulip (or should I say Truffles?), does this mean your plan to spend time in London is on ice?

I'll still spend some time in London next summer regardless...at this point it's actually whether or not I cruise. :-( Very sad to have to say that. I'm really excited to spend some time in London - I've never been - but had so looked forward to seeing a few more places. I don't mind waiting, mind you, I'm just sad that I feel like we're being gouged by crazy cruise prices.

I wondered if anyone knows...or can tell me where to look to find out...what lines cruise the British Isles during the summer months. I have looked at a lot of websites, but many only have Northern Europe...

Cunard's Queen Victoria in July this year. And Cunards' QM2 and new Queen Elizabeth both in September next year.

Won't be cheap though.

I also was shocked at the prices of Princess. I spent this afternoon looking at P&O, Holland American. I have an e-mail into P&O and haven't gotten a response yet. Holland American is about the same price as Princess. I am trying to decide which cruise to take. Either the 12 r/t Southampton on 5/22/11 with all the stops in Scotland, Ireland and England or doing the 6/3/11 r/t out of Southampton with 2 ports in Iceland and just 3 stops in Scotland and one in Ireland. They are only one cruise after the other on the Crown Princess. Don't really want to miss all the ports in either places but I think it is 9 or 10 ports in a row with only one sea day in between and I hear is very exhausting. The other one has 5 sea days and would be more relaxing while still hitting some the high points and still getting to see Iceland.

Have you thought about a land trip?

Part of the issue is that the British Isles is very expensive for us in North America. This makes cruises very costly, and land trips. But land trips can be considerably cheaper.

With the poor exchange rate against the dollar for us Brits at the moment, it's the US that is expensive for us. Also, we pay a lot more for our cruises than folk in the US do.

With the poor exchange rate against the dollar for us Brits at the moment, it's the US that is expensive for us. Also, we pay a lot more for our cruises than folk in the US do.

Well it's all relative I guess. Our dollar is high right now against the greenback, but that still means that a pound sterling costs more than $1.50. With prices, at least in the recent past, being about the same in sterling as in dollars for everyday items, that means we are paying lots more for things than we would at home (restaurant meals, a pint, hotels.)

As for you paying more for cruises, I've never understood this--do you still pay more for electronics?

Well it's all relative I guess. Our dollar is high right now against the greenback, but that still means that a pound sterling costs more than $1.50. With prices, at least in the recent past, being about the same in sterling as in dollars for everyday items, that means we are paying lots more for things than we would at home (restaurant meals, a pint, hotels.)

As for you paying more for cruises, I've never understood this--do you still pay more for electronics?

Wendy- it's been suggested by someone who works for a cruise company, and answers questions on this site, that UK and Aus./NZ cruisers are perhaps charged more because we have a very poor idea about the tipping culture on US ships. We're very mixed up about tipping full stop- many of us don't know how to handle it in the UK, never mind in a foreign country. His suggestion is that cruise ships have to charge more to make up the wages for staff.

Jo.

Wendy- it's been suggested by someone who works for a cruise company, and answers questions on this site, that UK and Aus./NZ cruisers are perhaps charged more because we have a very poor idea about the tipping culture on US ships. We're very mixed up about tipping full stop- many of us don't know how to handle it in the UK, never mind in a foreign country. His suggestion is that cruise ships have to charge more to make up the wages for staff.

Jo.

I sail with Cunard and pay the $11 per person per day automatic gratuity and also tip the cabin steward and waiter if they're good.

Hello! I had big plans for a summer 2011 cruise to the British Isles on Princess. Sticker shock is an understatement...I have booked, but certainly can't keep it at these insane prices! I wondered if anyone knows...or can tell me where to look to find out...what lines cruise the British Isles during the summer months. I have looked at a lot of websites, but many only have Northern Europe...

Thank you!

We too were looking at British Isles for summer 2011....We picked the Vision (RCI) 9 days r/t Oslo....we are excited about the route.

I sail with Cunard and pay the $11 per person per day automatic gratuity and also tip the cabin steward and waiter if they're good.

Ray- most of the Brits and A/NZ on this site do exactly that. The suggestion was that many don't.

Jo.

Archived