Carnival problem, Phone or Mail

ECP

I had to change the date of a back to back cruise because of a situation beyond my control.

Carnival is charging for two(2) adjustments per person totaling $200 added to the cruise despite the fact we are not changing rooms for either the original or revised cruises (ie we spend the two weeks inside the same cabin).

Considering that Carnival has cut back on longer cruises (including combined back to backs) so we could not book one of those. I consider it unfair to charge for two changes per person when there is no room changes taking place and no luggage leaves or enters.

I have already paid the $200 but hope there is some way to at-least get $100 back as OBC, my travel agent suggests I contact customer service as all she gets is stonewalled thru her contacts.

Do you think I should or should not have to pay for two changes.

And I am just asking, what is the best way to contact them first.

Email, mail or telephone.

Did you have to the dates for both legs of your B2B? Because if you did, you are making changes to two cruises. Carnival does not package two one week cruises together into one voyage as some of their sister lines do (HAL, Princess), each segment is a separate cruise. If one week stayed the same, but one had to be moved forward or back, then I could understand your frustration. EM

If you booked ES on the two cruises you booked then you agree to pay $50 per person for each change of date. Why would Carnival give you a exception when there are people posting they are dying and not getting exceptions. I dont mean this in a mean way, just for you to see that if Carnival didnt charge you for changing dates, then it would get around and everyone would want an exception to be made.

Im sorry you had to change dates, Id be bummed about $200 too.

OP,,, either I am not reading your post correctly or your post is VERY CONFUSING !

You may have booked a b2b cruise, but that is considered 2 different cruises with 2 different reservation #'s.

I am suspecting you booked under the ES program and thus because of the change, you incurred a $50.00 p/p per sailing date change, thus the $200.00 loss of your inital deposits.

Carnival has not cut back on b2b cruises.... anyone can book them at anytime if space is available on both cruises on any sailing.... can't figure out what point you are making here.

And it is not really that you are being "charged" the $200.00 change fee, it is that you are only being provided to use your initial deposits (less the $50.00 per person per cruise) as "payments" towards the balance due on your new cruise(s) booked (remaining funds from original cruise cannot be used towards new cruise deposits).

Any coorespondance on this matter would have to be done thru your TA since they technically "own" the booking(s).....if this is a battle you wish to pursue with the cruiseline, your TA will have to be speaking on your behalf on this matter.

Good luck in your attempt to get the cruiseline to budge on this "change fee", but don't get your hopes up.

Since you asked if we thought you should be charged the fee for both cruises my answer is yes. Unfortunately the risk you take when booking ES is exactly what has happened to you. You booked two cruises that happen to be one right after the other but two different cruises never-the-less. So you are going to be charged the $50 per person per cruise for the cancellation fee. That was in the contract you agreed to when you originally booked your cruises.

Now if you should ask me if I thought that cruiselines should offer incentives for booking b2b's my answer would be yes to that question but they don't so at the moment so it is what it is.

Hope you will enjoy the new B2B that you ae booking. Hoping you reconsidered if both legs of the new cruise should be ES or not before making that booking.

Booking at ES rates is very popular but unless plans are set in stone , not always the best choice for everyone .

You are changing sailing dates . Doesn't matter that your in the same cabin BtoB.

As a former TA , I can understand your TA's problems of trying to help you . Sometimes the client can have better luck pleading their case , than the TA , when trying to make an exception. Good luck!:o

Chances are you saved $50pp on each by booking ES so consider it a wash or close to it. I assume your TA will apply for price drops so by the time you cruise you may have it back on OBC.

As far as your TA telling you to call Carnival. All TA know (or should know) that there is no way Carnival is going to talk to you if you are booked through them. They just tell you that to get you off their backs. To me that's a sign of a bad TA telling a customer to call Carnival when they know they can't discuss anything with them.

1) Yes they were booked as ES.

2) They were originally booked for Feb.2011 and had to be changed to Feb.2012 because my travel companion's family changed their travel plans. :(

3) Originally, we were looking for a 10 to 15 day cruise something Carnival used to have a large number of but seemed to have cut back on.

But it seems everyone thinks I am screwed if my TA can`t get any changes for me. :( :( :(

I have already paid the change fees, I was just looking for suggestions in case anyone to help me get even part of it converted to OBC.

Thank you for the posts anyway.

PS. How do I close a thread.

1) Yes they were booked as ES.

2) They were originally booked for Feb.2011 and had to be changed to Feb.2012 because my travel companion's family changed their travel plans. :(

3) Originally, we were looking for a 10 to 15 day cruise something Carnival used to have a large number of but seemed to have cut back on.

But it seems everyone thinks I am screwed if my TA can`t get any changes for me. :( :( :(

I have already paid the change fees, I was just looking for suggestions in case anyone to help me get even part of it converted to OBC.

Thank you for the posts anyway.

PS. How do I close a thread.

You basically have no case here...Carnival is only enforcing the rules of booking under the ES rate plans. Rules are rules and why do you feel that your case should bypass those rules based on your original post ?

Just another unhappy guest booking under the ES program just to save them some $$$ that they did not thoroughly understand the restrictions and possible charges they would incur, ! :( But when they have to make a change in booking and incuring the fees clearly stated under this rate program, they cry "Unfair" ! :rolleyes:

When you booked the early saver, you agreed to pay for changes. You could have booked at a higher rate, but instead chose the lower rate with penalties. Sorry, I don't think Carnival should give you anything back.

You changed the cruise--perhaps your travel companion can give you the money you lost. It's not Carnival's fault, it's your own choosing.

ESA is not for everyone, and sometimes it's a hard lesson to learn, but for those of us who have firm plans etc. it saves money. Let's just hope you don't have to change again, as you will lose another $50 per person. Good luck.

Archived