Athens Hotels

Carolina Cruisr

We will be arriving a day early before departing Athens on the Ocean Princess this September and was looking for some thoughts on the hotels that my friend and I have narrowed down. They are, Athens Gate, Attalos Hotel or Amalia. I know these are on the lower end of the spectrum but was hoping they would be ok for one night.

If anyone could share any first hand information on any of these hotels it would be helpful in making a finale decision.

Hmmm, don't know the other two, but Athens Gate isn't exactly on the lower end of the spectrum...

I've booked there for 4 nights following my September cruise. It gets excellent reviews on several websites, is fairly recently renovated, and is very well located (next to the new Acropolis museum).

Attalo is very close to the metro station and is very popular among younger travelers from what I read. It is very close to all the tourists attractions too.

We booked it for a night when we would fly from Rome to Athens after Eurodam's transatlantic this April. We tag on a DIY Greece and Turkey island hopping trip after our transatlantic cruise. It seems Attalo is a reasonable choice for the 94 Euro price tag.

Athens Gate - ask for a room at the back for a view of the Acropolis and away from the busy road in the front.

Amalia directly opposite the National Gardens and Parliament ask for a room at the front.

Both hotels are very central & easy walking to most sites.

:)

Our friends stayed at the Athens Gate in June and liked it very much.

We stayed at the Attalos a few years ago. Good location, but a bit of a dump IMO. Amalia also in a good location, but I do not know anyone who has stayed there.

I definitely would go to the Athens Gate, a big step up from the Attalos.

Another vote for Athens Gate. We stayed there in May '08 for 3 nights pre-cruise. We had a 6th floor room with Acropolis view, tiny terrace--room was somewhat better than basic---and what a view!!! Staff were great, breakfast (included) was great, served in the top-floor restaurant, where your biggest decision will be whether to sit on the terrace at the back, with the Acropolis view, or the terrace at the front, overlooking the Temple of Olympian Zeus.

Very convenient--right on the edge of Plaka, very close to the Acropolis and the new Acropolis Museum, and 1 1/2 minute walk to the metro.

Did I mention the view?

Kevin

We stayed for three nights at the AVA Hotel that is right next to the Plaka, just below the Acropolis, a few steps away from the Temple of Zeus, Hadrian Arch and other monuments of Greek Civilization. We loved the location, hotel quality, etc. Tripadvisor gave it the top ratings for Athens and we could understand why. It is not a large, "name hotel" in the commercial area, but we didn't want that. Lots of options in Athens, but I think location is an important factor.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Attalos was just wonderful and at an excellent price. The location is great, close to the metro, shopping, restaurants, etc. One of my favourite photos was taken from the rooftop bar of the Acropolis lit up at night.

The hotel is clean. Our room was a decent size. The breakfast was very good and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Archived