I hope the food on RC is better than eating at BLANK

If you had to fill in the BLANK in "I hope the food on RC is better than eating at ......?", what would mass-market chain restaurant would you choose as your answer?

I would say Outback Steakhouse.

I have started this thread because there has been complaints about food quality. There has also been claims that food reviews are highly subjective so opinions must be met with some skepticism.

I am just curious where people set there baseline expectations.

I hope this doesn't degenerate into a flame war.

"I hope the food on RC is better than eating at Club Med."

I remember doing a Club Med all-inclusive vacation, and the food being a step better than elementary school cafeteria food.

If a cruise can deliver food better than a land-based all-inclusive... we're good to go!

I will just be happy if the food is better than McDonalds (and McDonalds SUCKS IMO) according to all the threads I have read about the poor quality of the food :(

I have only been on one other cruise before. Carnival's oldest ship. The food was outstanding! All of it!

Better than eating at Friendly's - at Friendly's they are so slow that you have to order dinner at breakfast time :D

Pat

The Friendly's I go to has outstanding service...then again, it IS, literally, next door to the corporate headquarters.:cool:

All of them. Red Lobster, Outback, Olive Garden. You pick a chain restaurant, I hate it. I would never eat at those at home, why would I want to on a cruise?

In my opinion Explorer's food was far worse than all of those you just mentioned. But, I have heard they changed the chef since my last sailing, so I hope the quality has improved since then.

Mass market cruise line food is not 5 star, but I´ve never gone hungry on any cruise and I´m a picky eater.

I would not expect a step above banquet food, but about the level of banquet food.

Agreed; I read a post years ago which compared cruise food to Wedding Banquet food and that seems about right. They are cooking for hundreds of people; it's basically a posh banquet.

Unfortunately the expectations, set by the cruise line, can lead people to believe it's rather better than that...

In general, if you hate places like Red Lobster, Outback and Olive Garden, you'll probably hate Royal Caribbean food, too. I say that, because quality of food is probably comparable and that is a pretty decent quality to begin with. I find that most people who hate those chain restaurants tend to do so more because it makes them feel like they are some kind of connoisseur to be able to "dis" a popular chain. But, though experiences from one location to another may vary, those restaurants are all quite good for what they are, which is reasonably priced, family-style restaurants.

I hope the food on Royal Caribbean is better than eating at HOME, where I have to clean up and put everything away before having another Drink of the Day. :D
I laughed out loud! No one is going to top this reply.

Agreed; I read a post years ago which compared cruise food to Wedding Banquet food and that seems about right. They are cooking for hundreds of people; it's basically a posh banquet.

Unfortunately the expectations, set by the cruise line, can lead people to believe it's rather better than that...

I think it's decent banquet food. If you expect more, you'll be disappointed. If you expect less, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I am perfectly ok with that too :) For less than 100.00 a night per person, I do NOT expect 5 star gourmet food....Im not a big fan of gourmet food anyway.....I do expect it to be edible though. According to some on here, they wouldnt feed it to a starving mutt they found on the side of the road ;)

Archived