I hope the food on RC is better than eating at BLANK

The lobster on RC isn't anywhere near as good as RL, and the steaks aren't as good as OB - PERIOD.

In my opinion Explorer's food was far worse than all of those you just mentioned. But, I have heard they changed the chef since my last sailing, so I hope the quality has improved since then.

I completely agree with you. I actually never said it was better (although in my book, they're all bad. PERIOD) Saying Red Lobster is better than the lobster on a cruise is really not saying much. Red Lobster is terrible, lobster on a cruise is terrible, etc. Portofino is better than Olive Garden, but again, that's not saying much since you can't get much worse than Olive Garden. Do I wish the food onboard was better than all those places? Yes. Do I think it is? Not much.

Coming from UK I have to say that we are not used to all those big buffets you Americans are! But having just cruised on Freedom of the Seas, we thought the food everywhere was fabulous, even the Windjammer, plenty of choice, so no complaints from us :)

Coming from UK I have to say that we are not used to all those big buffets you Americans are! But having just cruised on Freedom of the Seas, we thought the food everywhere was fabulous, even the Windjammer, plenty of choice, so no complaints from us :)

Well yeah it was good, compared to the food in the U.K. LOL! Totally teasing, don't hate me. :D:D:):o

Hey 7 days of not having to prepare ,cook and clean up meals ! Personally I'll take it!! :p I cook 6 - 7 nights a weeek. DH is old fashioned in the good way,he likes sit down style family meals. No prepackage stuff ! SO I'll be happy with the cafateria cruise food so long as they don't make me go in the kitchen:eek:.

Better than eating at Friendly's - at Friendly's they are so slow that you have to order dinner at breakfast time :D

Pat

That is so true. Once spent at least an hour and a half trying to get breakfast at the Myrtle Beach Friendly's. The restaurant was nowhere near filled to capacity. Never could figure out what took so long. When part of our order was incorrect we didn't mention it. Didn't want to spend more time getting it corrected.

I'd agree that expecting banquet-level food (with decent presentation in the MDR) is about the best you can expect from a mass-market cruise line.

Golden Corral and the buffet at Circus Circus, OMG!!! I would hope that the food on Freedom, is at least as good at Outback. Sorry, but I love their pasta with chicken and I love their steaks! Not to say that I wish RCI served the blooming onion!

I have eaten at Ruth's Chris and Peter Luger's as well as others, but in my home town, Outback is it. If RCI had a dinner that was the equivalent, without paying for Chops (and I do think that's what it is like at Outback) I would be a happy camper.

As it is, I will go to Portofino, my fav.

In general, if you hate places like Red Lobster, Outback and Olive Garden, you'll probably hate Royal Caribbean food, too. I say that, because quality of food is probably comparable and that is a pretty decent quality to begin with. I find that most people who hate those chain restaurants tend to do so more because it makes them feel like they are some kind of connoisseur to be able to "dis" a popular chain. But, though experiences from one location to another may vary, those restaurants are all quite good for what they are, which is reasonably priced, family-style restaurants.

Anyone hating RL, OB and OG has a wharped attiude and/or is just a plain

old snob.

Well yeah it was good, compared to the food in the U.K. LOL! Totally teasing, don't hate me. :D:D:):o

Mind you I do not think we are missing everything not having Ponderosa!

I do like Cracker Barrel and Dennys breakfasts, but not too often.

It is generally good banquet food, no more no less, and that makes it better than at home :) I like fine food, but I also like RL and OB, but I will skip OG, it is nice to like things in different categories :)

Anyone hating RL, OB and OG has a wharped attiude and/or is just a plain

old snob.

Really? You think so? Sorry, but I'm not a snob at all. I just happen to know good food, and none of those really qualify. I'm not saying they are completely not edible. They'll do if I have no other choice. But they should definitely not be called great food. To me, they're on the same level as Chilis or TGI Fridays. Fun, basic bland average food. Not quality in any way. I'm not saying I eat at Mortons every night and I'm a complete food snob. I love the local taco stand down the street just as much as anyone else. But the local taco stand can be much better quality that RL, OG or any of the others. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to be good.

I am perfectly ok with that too :) For less than 100.00 a night per person, I do NOT expect 5 star gourmet food....Im not a big fan of gourmet food anyway.....I do expect it to be edible though. According to some on here, they wouldnt feed it to a starving mutt they found on the side of the road ;)

I've sailed on many different RCI ships and the food is generally very good. It's not what you'd get on Silversea or Regent, I'm sure, but it's good food, well prepared and plentiful. If you don't like something, the obliging wait staff will get you something else. I think you will find the food quite edible.

My favorite is the prime rib which, I believe, is as good as it gets anywhere else. The salad "bar" at lunch in the MDR is truly awesome.

As for the lobster, if you have ever eaten a "real" Maine lobster cooked in sea water at a pound you wouldn't even think those little frozen thingies are in the same species. JMTCW

I completely agree with you. I actually never said it was better (although in my book, they're all bad. PERIOD) Saying Red Lobster is better than the lobster on a cruise is really not saying much. Red Lobster is terrible, lobster on a cruise is terrible, etc. Portofino is better than Olive Garden, but again, that's not saying much since you can't get much worse than Olive Garden. Do I wish the food onboard was better than all those places? Yes. Do I think it is? Not much.

It might be time for you to switch to the "premium" cruise lines. I'm sure the food on those ships reflects the pricing that is triple or more of RCI. You get what you pay for.

You're booking on a budget line, what do you expect?

Wow, breifly scrolled through and was surprised someone thinks red lobster has GOOD food. :rolleyes: Really, thats all I can say. Its all frozen. ICK. If you think thats good food, you will seriously enjoy RCI's.

Perhaps it depends upon the location. I don't even have a Red Lobster close to me now, but we used to in a previous place we lived. They had two to four fresh fish selections at any given time that truly were fresh and were well prepared. We didn't usually order off the "standard" menu, when we dined there, but rather off the fresh selections board.

However, you pretty well give away your ignorance simply by saying that frozen seafood = ICK. Nothing quite compares to seafood that is truly fresh, as in caught mere hours before it hits your plate. That is quite rare, though. The best quality seafood that you can get without living right on the water is often seafood that is quick-frozen just after being caught.

I'd have to say Souplantation.

We have a gift card to Olive Garden sitting on my desk, it's been here for over a year now and have not gotten that desperate yet. So I suppose I'd have to say Olive Garden as well.

Yeah, our last two visits to OG were not good at all -- we had 2 gift cards. Never again!!

.......my ex-wife's cooking.

heeheehee, too funny!

###

Yeah, our last two visits to OG were not good at all -- we had 2 gift cards. Never again!!

So what was wrong with Olive Garden?

I'm just curious, because I've been there a few times and never had anything "gourmet," but it's always been decent food. In fact, I really enjoyed the dish I had the last time I was there. It was braised short ribs or something like that. Quite tasty.

Archived