How do I arrange for a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet with the Cruise Line?

Get folks on your roll call going, then decide what you want to do. Only RCL hosts official CC parties, the other cruiselines you are on your own. You can all pay ahead of time for a Carnival party with drinks, or meet at a bar the first day, or lunch or lots of things. We have done a cabin crawl, some do it with poker chips, whatever.

If you are going on HAL you can call the main telephone number for them and ask to be transfered to an event planner. You will be sent via e-mail a form to fill out. You indicate what you want and fax it back. For a regular Meet and Greet HAL provides beverages (no alcohol) and cookies. They usually have the Cruise Director and possible another person come to answer any questions.

Judee

RCL & Celebrity are the only ones who do an "official" M&G, but NCL does a better job - even if they're not official. NCL officers show up besides having snacks and drinks (non-alcoholic).

Not so...HAL does, too. Ours have been hosted by hotel director (three times) and the last time the cruise director and captain attended. Coffee, tea, cookies, and open bar provided.

Providing you have enough time before yur cruise, post a message to John Heald on his blog, asking him to put you in touch with your cruise director to set it up. Mostly, Carnival will just arrange a venue for you. EM

Not so...HAL does, too. Ours have been hosted by hotel director (three times) and the last time the cruise director and captain attended. Coffee, tea, cookies, and open bar provided.

Providing you have enough time before yur cruise, post a message to John Heald on his blog, asking him to put you in touch with your cruise director to set it up. Mostly, Carnival will just arrange a venue for you. EM

I was not doubting or denying that other lines did, but I posted my personal experiences. In fact, I didn't make a statement about who didn't - it was about who did (again by personal knowledge). And even CC will tell you that RCL and Celebrity have "official" parties but that doesn't preclude others from having parties - they just can't be called "official". We haven't sailed on HAL yet. We got zip with Carnival. And while Princess wasn't known to host the parties as a line, I was on a sailing where that particular CD was very into CC and wanted to meet us. Even had a book for us to sign with our screen names, actual names and cabin numbers. Wanted questions and even took our group photo.

In fact, I didn't make a statement about who didn't - it was about who did (again by personal knowledge).

You are correct in what you posted. Only X and RCI automatically host a Connections or Meet and Mingle party upon registration of 25 guests. On other cruise lines that offer it, it has to be requested.

I suspect that the officers' attendance and freebies on X and RCI are less than other lines because of the frequency of the events.

RCL & Celebrity are the only ones who do an "official" M&G, but NCL does a better job - even if they're not official. NCL officers show up besides having snacks and drinks (non-alcoholic).

What does this mean "official"? Does it mean the event can't have the name "cruise critic" in it? Someone on another board said that RCI owns this concept. I don't think they can own a concept but maybe just use of the name cruise critic. To me, that is trivial because nobody needs an official name for a meeting/party of people getting together who do so through a third party website.

Princess has them and provides bartender. I set up ours with the event coordinator.

In defense of other posters here your statement "RCL & Celebrity are the only ones who do an "official...." was misleading. While you might have meant in one way, we did read it the way it was written.

You may have taken it another way, but in no way was it misleading. They are the only lines with official CC parties. There was a "deal" made between CC and RCI (parent co of RCL & X). Both lines even have sign ups on their sites, because as another poster mentioned, they do require 25 to be signed up for them to host. I think X calls it a Meet & Mingle but I don't remember if RCL calls it something else. In no way does that mean other lines cannot, but those two lines are the only ones who have an ad in their lines' roll call section to go straight to their site to sign up. With the other lines (the officially unofficial but real none the less), it is the responsibility of someone on the roll call to keep track of everyone and contact the cruiseline themselves. By not being "official" parties, that doesn't make them any less fun. But they are what they are (or aren't).

What does this mean "official"? Does it mean the event can't have the name "cruise critic" in it? Someone on another board said that RCI owns this concept. I don't think they can own a concept but maybe just use of the name cruise critic. To me, that is trivial because nobody needs an official name for a meeting/party of people getting together who do so through a third party website.

Princess has them and provides bartender. I set up ours with the event coordinator.

It's not really in a name, because you can name your party what ever you want. For example, each line has their own official soft drink. Because of licensing, they legally cannot sell a competitor's product. But if you carry it on board, they cannot stop you. I think RCI "bought" (hopefully for not too much $$$) that right with CC.

It's not really in a name, because you can name your party what ever you want. For example, each line has their own official soft drink. Because of licensing, they legally cannot sell a competitor's product. But if you carry it on board, they cannot stop you. I think RCI "bought" (hopefully for not too much $$$) that right with CC.

Okay, it makes more sense that they bought use of the name "cruise critic" and obviously, that doesn't prevent any other line from hosting meet & greets. I guess, on their own, they just won't set up "cruise critic meet & mingle/greet/etc".

On my roll call for 7/4 Princess Ruby, we have close to 50 going and Princess will provide us a venue and bartender. They would have provided food at a charge :rolleyes:. We'll bring our own. Maybe they'll provide bar food.

Archived