How do you know you had a Great Cabin Steward?

mmsoko

We've had a small discussion about this in our Roll Call thread and was curious how others determine if they've had a great cabin steward. Please site examples either personally received or heard. Thanks.

I don't know that it is possible to fully appreciate how good most of the stewards are until you've had one that is only so-so. That's not much of an answer, but it's really the only way I can put any perspective on something this subjective. We've been lucky and almost always get a great cabin steward. And we never "pre-tip", though if we have guests or otherwise make extra work for our steward, we tip a little extra for that immediately.

We've had a small discussion about this in our Roll Call thread and was curious how others determine if they've had a great cabin steward. Please site examples either personally received or heard. Thanks.

Hi!

For us, it was an easy call. Our cabin steward, Manuel De Leon, on the 12/10 Panama Canal cruise was the best we have ever had. Maybe it was the luck of the draw or maybe it was because we were in a mini-suite, but he was unfailingly friendly, unbelieveably efficient (our cabin would be fully serviced almost as soon as we left), and responded to requests very promptly. We could not have asked for more!

We left the "standard" tips on our shipboard account and then presented him with an additional gratuity in cash the last day.

Have a great cruise!

After numerous cruises, you quickly realize the value of a good room steward! A good one quickly introduces him/herself on the day of embarcation. They make it clear how to contact them. They seem eager to please, and do not make you feel like you are bothering them. They are easily accessible, but do not "intrude". If you leave them a note in the cabin, they take care of it. If you request something, they usually can find a way to get it for you! I find the really good ones are "very attentive". By that I mean, if they are cleaning rooms in the morning and hear someone walking down the hall, they seem to have one eye/ear towards the door...just in case someone might need something, or even just to greet you. Finally, a good room steward does a thorough job of cleaning your cabin without having to interupt you.

If I am lucky enough to get a room steward like I described above, they are compensated well! In addition, I take the time to write a nice note describing why they are so valuable, so they can show their supervisors.

Janet

After numerous cruises, you quickly realize the value of a good room steward! A good one quickly introduces him/herself on the day of embarcation. They make it clear how to contact them. They seem eager to please, and do not make you feel like you are bothering them. They are easily accessible, but do not "intrude". If you leave them a note in the cabin, they take care of it. If you request something, they usually can find a way to get it for you! I find the really good ones are "very attentive". By that I mean, if they are cleaning rooms in the morning and hear someone walking down the hall, they seem to have one eye/ear towards the door...just in case someone might need something, or even just to greet you. Finally, a good room steward does a thorough job of cleaning your cabin without having to interupt you.

If I am lucky enough to get a room steward like I described above, they are compensated well! In addition, I take the time to write a nice note describing why they are so valuable, so they can show their supervisors.

Janet

Nicely stated. I've been fortunate enough to have never experienced service other than this. I have always compensated and put my thank-you's in writing.

We've always had a good steward: always smiling and friendly, very quick to take care of our needs in the cabin, making up the room soon after we vacated --we are early risers and always put the sign on the door when we leave for breakfast so our room can be made up while the steward is waiting for others to leave their rooms. Bringing lounge chairs on request always earns an extra tip on the spot. Only once did we have a steward that complained of how tired she was and how much work she had, but she always did her job well. A good steward has a good attitude and doesn't complain to the guests. They do have an extraordinary amount of work to do and I appriciate the job they do, but it is what they agreed to in their contract and should not be discussed with the guests IMO. We always leave the auto tip in place and tip extra.

The other posters are correct in their advice. All of the cruise lines have a process in place to determine raises, bonuses, promotions, etc. By telling them that you received outstanding service can be even more valuable to the crew member than the extra tip you present!

Janet said it all and I agree with her completely. You don't appreciate how good the Princess stewards are until you sail another cruiseline. I have had less-than-perfect stewards on Princess but it's very rare.

By less-than-perfect, I once had a steward who left pillows on the floor, dirty towels on the floor in the bathroom, etc. On the Caribbean Princess earlier this month, my daughter and SIL had a steward who walked in on them taking an afternoon "nap" even though they yelled for him not to come in. And, he STAYED and fiddled with the TV while they were yelling at him to get out and scrambling to the bottom of the covers. The Pursar and Captain's Circle host sure heard about that one!

On top of all of the outstanding room services that have been mentioned above, I also find I have the best feelings about my room steward when they remember your name right off the bat (still dont know how some of them do that!), and they call out to you in the hall. "Good Morning, Mrs. XXX" or "have a great dinner, Casey!" (I always encourage them to call me by my first name of course). That always makes me feel special, I apologize if this is ego-centric of juvenile! I like it!

On this last trip, our room steward did a great job in the room, but he was a lot cooler than I normally am used to (I still keep in email contact with 2 of my past stewards, so I obviously bond with them). At first I was getting a negative feeling about him over this somewhat icey exterior,. but then my roommates (who have never cruised before), commmented on how amazing he was and efficient and did his job so well. They have never felt so spoiled! So it made me realize that some are efficient and good, even if not immediatly your friend.

Casey

I agree that after a so-so steward, one learns to appreciate the good ones! We had a bad one once who hadn't even cleaned out the drawers or vacuumed after the previous guests left. He never introduced himself. Our shower curtain was very mildewed--lots of pink yuk. Never once cleaned our balcony, but left the door open every single day. A bit of ice once a day, even though we asked for more. And he neglected a few more things that a good cabin steward takes care of.

We left his auto-tip on, but it was the only time we didn't leave an extra cash tip.

I've been lucky to have just this type of cabin steward on each of my cruises. I've never had anything less than stellar service. I always show my appreciation with a generous gratuity and etremely favorable comments on the passenger survey card.

Questions: Does Princess have passenger survey cards? If so, do they use the comments on these cards as a basis for promotions, bonuses, etc? Or, do they simply go by notes, favorable or otherwise, left by passangers?

All of these great reports are making me feel good about my decision to book on a holiday cruise with Princess. We have only sailed with RCCL and we had excellent cabin service... so one wonders when they sail with another line, if that service will be the same. And with it being 15 days, I am sure we will get to know them.

On RCCL, our ship had a 2 steward system and both were WONDERFUL and very attentive. Our tiny cabin didn't have a refrigerator, so they kept our cooler full of ice for us. Always answered notes we left and never had to wait for anything. I think they work the hardest on the ship and unfortunately they are overlooked sometimes. I don't know about Princess, but RCCL does have comment cards and we were very careful to be accurate in our reviews... they take it very seriously when it comes to the amount of cabins or tables (dining room) that they are assigned, which can seriously effect their income with tips. I understand this is all considered when their contract comes up again, or they ask to promote to a bigger ship.

The best cabin stewards are those who really make you believe they want to take care of you and your cabin and make certain your cruise experience in that department is the best. They will introduce themselves at the beginning of the cruise, explain how everything works, get you whatever you need quickly and happily and go out of their way to do a little something extra. I'll never forget one cruise (not Princess) where the cabin steward took my husband's pjs, hat and towels and set it up so it looked like someone was watching tv in bed. It was so funny. Other times he made towel animals and despite all that, kept our cabin very spotless and gave us everything we requested. He even gave me a hug on the last night.

We always give them an envelope with a bit extra if they do a great job and there haven't been many times that we didn't give extra.

Questions: Does Princess have passenger survey cards? If so, do they use the comments on these cards as a basis for promotions, bonuses, etc? Or, do they simply go by notes, favorable or otherwise, left by passangers?

Yes, they have cards available at the Purser's Desk. As someone else said, these cards are used to decide things like promotions, pay raises, and even time off in port.

When we sailed Celebrity in a mini-suite about 8 years ago we had a butler and a cabin steward - too much service. Disney's stewards were the friendliest and were always leaving towel animals. Last October on the Diamond our steward introduced himself and we never saw him again. However, I have no complaints as the room was clean and there was always ice in the bucket. What I am trying to say is that I have never had bad service but each was different. Each type of steward appeals to a different type of person.

My family and I were on Celebrity last Christmas and we had an excellent cabin steward. At the end of the cruise we left the tip amount in the envelop, but also handed her an extra tip (reminded her that it was only for her and not to share with the others in housekeeping) also when we were out shopping, bought her a Christmas present just to say thanks for all her hard work.

We had our best steward last May (others also very good) on the Royal Princess. Her name is Maria and she is from Mexico. She noticed that I use a cane and walk with a limp and asked if I would like to have a shower chair. Since all Royal cabins have a tub I would have had great difficulty showering without that chair, it let me get in the tub without the big step up. We left the auto-tip on and also gave extra the last night. We also highly rated her on the comment card and wrote a letter to headquarters after we got home.

A great cabin steward is one who greeets you when you arrive, asks you if you need anything and explains how to get in touch with him or her and who then seems to read your mind, but is really reading your "habits".

For instance, I have long hair and need at least two packets of conditioner each time I wash it. I always ask for extra conditioner when we meet the steward and have unfailingly received extra conditioner every single time the steward stocks the bathroom.

The steward notices that we eat the apples and kiwis, but not the oranges, and then brings extra apples and kiwis and no more oranges.

The steward realizes that we usually have a quick bite to eat for breakfast and then come back to our room and has managed to make it spotless in the time we are gone.

The steward notices that our pool towels are gone while we are eating dinner (I've pre-packed our beach bag for the following day) and leaves two more.

We have never had less than a great cabin steward and have always left additional tips for them, the average being at least half again the recommended up to double the recommended. We never pre-tip, but always fill out an outstanding service card prior to the last day at sea.

To add to all of these good points, Bricchio on the Grand called each of us by name every time unerringly. This is no easy feat since I use my maiden name, my husband uses his surname and our daughter is hypenated with both names. I was sure he was hiding under the bed because the cabin was always immaculate, as if he were following us around picking up after us. I really wanted to bring him home with us but didn't think he'd like the Canadian winters :eek: .

Kerry

Spongebob: Yes, they have cards available at the Purser's Desk. As someone else said, these cards are used to decide things like promotions, pay raises, and even time off in port.

We found out about these cards on the last cruise. Supposely, there is a drawing for a prize for those named on the cards so we made sure we filled out a couple of cards for employees who went out of their way to help us out.

I agree with all the good comments - we have never had a bad steward on Princess. We have had variance on the amount of personal contact. We like to find out where the steward is from, whether they have family back home, how long until they see them again, and generally relate to them as people, not just automatic room cleaners. Most will share some of their life or language with you if you show interest.

On the other hand, the perfect cabin steward is the one who cleans the room when you are away, anticipates needs, and responds efficiently to requests. We've had a steward who met all these requirements and was very courteous but who remained private. He got extra for meeting our expectations so well, and supporting our great cruise experience.

We have always given more than the guidelines for tips, and add some in a personal envelope given to them at the end of the cruise now that automatic tipping is a daily charge. When you think of the amount of work they put in and the hours they spend each day, something more than the guidelines is only a just wage.

On our Pacific Princess cruise, some new friends (Allyn and Melody of the Fish and Game restaurant in Lahaina) turned the tables, and invited waiters, stewards, and cruise director to lunch at their restaurant at that port. They had an outstanding meal, a good time, and it was really welcomed by the staff. Jesse was our steward then, and was great!

You may not want to go to that length, but often there is something that a steward might want for their children that they cannot get because they are working in port where the stores are. Getting to know them allows you the opportunity to tip them in a special way.

Do submit those cards and recommendations for those who do something to make your cruise special.;)

On Princess, I really like the idea of those "award" cards as opposed to the generic survey cards that you are asked to fill out. On the award cards you are asked for a specific name and what they did well. On my recent cruise, I filled out a couple of the cards for specific employees, and felt it gave valuable feed back to both the individual employee and the cruise line.

Archived