How far out do you start planning what to pack

jenndun

About 2-weeks in advance we put a box out in closet and put stuff in as we think of it. Such as bug spray, Prep H, highlighter etc. We really have cut down on many things we use to take as un-necessary like bungee's and especially extra clothing. We only take things you need right away or in an emergency. Have found if we really need something we can purchase it along the way. Importand to take your meds, chargers, paper work and ID.

Make sure to put together an itinerary to leave behind at home.

This is my first cruise, my DH's 3rd or 4th, so I'm loving these lists. What I've learned so far: I need to always have a cruise in the planning stage, since I've been using this one for a year to justify all sorts of purchases! We sail in 14 days, and we have our clothes set aside, and a list for purchases this week.

If I packed like nvrdunn I would never get out of Canada - I am the night before packer. I use to start early and then packed and repacked and always forgot something. Now that I pack night before or day of never forgot anything. If you pack early - take out half and you still end up with too much stuff. Enjoy

No planning involved. Takes me 10 minutes to pack and I am out the door.

I take 30 max.

the only thing I check ahead of time is that all laundry is done.

I also keep a cruise bag with all the little things excluding clothes.

that helps.

When you can get a weather forecast for the ports you're going to visit ...

Check http://www.wunderground.com - type the name of the port/country that you're going to visit and they'll give you a 7-10 day weather forecast.

No sense in packing rainware if you don't need it ...or taking shorts and swimsuits if it's going to be cold....

I keep a list on the computer of things to do to prep the house before we leave so that we can get it all done quickly and make sure we didn't forget anything.

But as for packing, I am generally not done packing until we are literally ready to walk out of the door to go the airport.

I will put things in earlier that we don't need at home (like water shoes, snorkeling equipment, etc), but the majority of my packing is started and finished right before we are due to leave the house. So far it's worked fine for me.

I've been planning since I booked a few weeks ago. I made a list (well actually remade the list that I saved from my last Disney trip), bought some new dresses for me and my daughter, rashguard shirts for my son, and water shoes so far. I have a toiletry bag that hangs that still has some things from our last vacation in it, I need to sort through it and see what else we need. I love planning!

I have a suitcase still packed from our last cruise in Nov 09. I leave only things in it that I wont' need in the house...powerstrip comes to mind and our passports. I pack the clothes two nights before we leave. HOWEVER. I have in my laundry room things that I know I will take on our September cruise for sure! they are hanging there waiting to be packed...:cool:

For my upcoming April cruise - I'm almost packed.....I just washed and repacked clothes from my February cruise!

Usually I start a month out, then a couple weeks out start ironing and getting things organized. Then pack it all in a couple days before we leave.

If I pack too early, I second guess myself about what I've packed and what I haven't (even when I have a list). It's easier if I pile clothes up on the spare bed...organized of course...shirts in one pile, shorts in another and so on. Then of course I have to pile up hubby's stuff too (but his pile is smaller:D)

My logic, pack everything in, then take two outfits out (I always pack too much). Then I'm ready to go!

I try to buy something for the cruise with each pay check, I get paid every other week. It reminds me I am really going to go on a cruise.It also keeps me from having to come up with a lot of money at the last minute for new clothes ect. when we need the money for excursions. We have a vacation drawer with things I like to pack for vacation, and add travel size things to it as a come across them. Its part of the fun and anticipation.

I am 48 days from my 1st cruise. When should I start planning what to pack. When should I start packing. I am getting excited.

DW typically starts about 6 weeks prior. Ironing, packing a bit each day. I don't pay too much attention to it but she typically plans out how many days we'll be away and then packs accordingly. Meds are usually the last thing packed and. Speaking of meds, don't assume you can get your over the counter meds while you're away. I did one year (I wanted to save packing space) and was surprised to learn I couldn't get what I needed.

I have a note book at work and when I am not busy I jot things down that I want to take. As it gets closer to my departure dates, I will bring it home and check off what I have. Pretty much as I see stuff I want to take I throw it in my suit case. I have bought 2 tops, one on clearance and one that wasn't but I really liked it and wanted to go ahead and get it. I put those in my suitcase. I bought some new sandals that I have also put in there. I keep a toiletry bag in my suitcase at all times anyways. I just go through it and add to it or throw stuff away that has expired. I bought a multi pack of rechargeable batteries and I put half in my camera bag and the rest in a drawer to be used for anytime. Now I just have to remember to pack my recharger. When Target had 4gb memory cards on sale I bought an extra for the trip and its in the camera bag. Pretty much as I see things on sale I go ahead and buy it and put them in the suit case. By the time my trip comes around, I am pretty much packed!

I try to buy something for the cruise with each pay check, I get paid every other week. It reminds me I am really going to go on a cruise.It also keeps me from having to come up with a lot of money at the last minute for new clothes ect. when we need the money for excursions.

I do this too.

We sail in 195 days. I wouldn't say I have started packing yet, but I have started shopping my kids spring/summer clothes and I am definitely thinking what would be good for the cruise when I am shopping.

Ok, good, someone else that thinks like me :D When we booked our cruise in the beginning of Feb, I started my mental list and picked up things at the store here and there I knew I would need that way the week before I am not buying it all.

I had a list on the computer of the basics I'd start buying and packing those about a month out, just so they were bought and out of the way (extra meds, shampoo etc). But my computer crashed so I lost my list. Have to make up another.

Clothing I start getting an idea about 2 months out. Mostly because I have to alter most of my formal dresses when I buy them so I have to start earlier then if I shopped off the rack. This year I'm dieting so putting off shopping until the last minute for the best fit and hoping I can get things shortened in time.

haha I did the same thing- made this nice list on the computer (didn't back up... stupid, I know)... and my computer crashed like 2 weeks ago. Time to start again.

Okay,

So, I pulled out the suitcase the month after I booked the cruise. I started putting clothes a couple weeks later. Then I started buying clothes this month especially for the cruise. I've re-packed about 3xs already.

I like to try the clothes on and make sure I still like them and when I buy new things I have to re-pack to make sure they will fit. I will have to wait until the week I leave to pack all my clothes b/c their are pants I use for work that need to go in. I'll iron all the clothes that weekend, hang them up and then pack them the night before to prevent most wrinkles.

I also make a list of in excel of things I need to buy and check them off. The list also has packing items divided into sections like Meds, Hygiene, etc. And I have a list of each day of the cruise and put in a description of the outfit I think I will wear that day divided out between Morning, Noon, Night. I just want to make sure I have enough outfits

I'm not this obessive over most stuff, but when I have no way of getting to a dept. store to buy a new outfit on a whim, then I like to plan, plan, plan.

Plus it takes up time:D

As soon as I book I start a packing list on the computer. I revise it as I go along, adding and taking away as I get new ideas. I plan very carefully; my aim is to pack as lightly as I can while still covering all bases. A few days before. I start collecting the items on the bed in the guest room. The day before we leave I put everything in the suitcases. I take a copy of my packing list with me; it helps with repacking and if I ever have luggage lost or stolen:eek:, I will have an inventory of everything

Archived